Official Case Western Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Case Intended
bocai

Case accepted, likely
exmike

Case accepted, unsure
Taehong81 (probably not going)

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely

Members don't see this ad.

Case Intended
bocai

Case accepted, likely
exmike

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely

you guys ruined my bolds :p

Does anyone know anything about the wait-hold list? Has there been any movement?

If I got into CCLM I would go in a heartbeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case Intended
bocai

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely

What's this about Taiehong not going to Case. Where are you going?

Judd

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely

he's picking emory over case i think.

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd
soulrflare

Case accepted, unsure
Mr Reddly (depends if I get off of the 2 Cali waitlists or not)

CCLCM Intended
soulrflare (if accepted, likely to attend)

CCLCM accepted, likely

Mr. Reddly

your tripping me out with your edits! ;)

well...i was in the middle of posting while you were editing, so the posts kept changing. It was like a book that tells a slightly different story every time you read it...you know...a word change here, a character change there...something stephen king might enjoy writing about.

Hey Judd! yeah I will be most likely attending Emory instead. I am just waiting for the financial packages from both school and then will make my final decision.

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd
soulrflare

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd
soulrflare

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

you guys hate my bolds

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd
soulrflare

Case accepted, unsure
Mr Reddly (depends if I get off of the UCI/D waitlists or not)

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

you guys hate my bolds
And my color :laugh:
Your bolds are probably being removed because they are doing ctrl-C, hitting reply, then pasting the text in - instead of hitting quote, and removing the quote marks at the top and bottom. If they did that, the bold formating would be preserved without having to do any more work.

Members don't see this ad :)
CLEVELAND (March 18, 2004) ? Today meant the start of March Madness for college basketball fans. To medical students across the country, however, today was Match Madness.

Marking one of the last hurdles before commencement, March Day is when graduating M.D. students learn where they?ll be spending the next three to seven years of their lives undergoing the additional training necessary to practice and receive board certification. During the year, students have interviewed at hospitals around the country and have listed their preferences as to where they will receive this additional training. On Match Day, they discover how their choices match up with the hospitals at which they have interviewed.

At the Case School of Medicine, students, with their family members and friends, gathered at the Wolstein Research Building and eagerly counted the minutes until noon, when they would be permitted to access the table where the envelopes containing their fates awaited.

As that time approached, Richard D. Aach, M.D., associate dean and director of residency and career planning, told them, ?You did fantastically well, and we?re very, very proud of you. What?s really evident is that you matched outstanding programs that really were your top choices.?

Aach said about one fourth of the 137 students participating in the match this year will be undertaking residencies at University Hospitals of Cleveland or MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland and that, overall, about 40 percent of the class matched to residencies in Ohio and about 25 programs in the same number of states also are represented in the residency programs to be filled by Case medical students.

Ralph I. Horwitz, M.D., medical school dean and university vice president for medical affairs, attending his second consecutive Match Day at Case and his first since leaving Yale to become dean on April 1, 2003, told students, ?In the past year, I have learned that Case medical students are among the best in the country.? Additional proof of that excellence came when the students opened their envelopes to reveal matches to prestigious programs in Cleveland and elsewhere.

Primary care fields remained popular among students around the country, including those in Cleveland. Forty-seven percent of Case students matched in primary care fields. The specialty with the greatest number of matches at Case was internal medicine, with 29 matches (21 percent of the class). Pediatrics was the second most popular specialty among students in Cleveland, with 24 matches (18 percent). Primary care also was represented through six matches to internal medicine/pediatrics residencies and five matches to family medicine programs (four percent each).

As is the case nationally, the specialties of emergency medicine and surgery continued to be increasingly popular among Case students, with nine matches each, and eight students chose ophthalmology residencies.

A run-down of other fields represented in the match at Case, listed alphabetically: anesthesiology, five matches; dermatology, one; neurology, four; obstetrics/gynecology, five; oral and maxillofacial surgery, two; orthopaedic surgery, five; pathology, two; physical medicine and rehabilitation, two; psychiatry, five; radiology - diagnostic, four; radiation oncology, four; transitional, one; and urology, one.

THAT is exactly what I was going to say. EIGHT OPTHO!!!!

That's a ****load, isn't it? Also, four in Neuro and four in rads isn't too bad either.

Judd

even more impressive, where they matched ophtho (from the Ophtho forum)

Wash U
U Chicago
UNC
U Michigan (2)
U Illinois-Chicago
MEEI
Akron
Cleveland Clinic (graduate of last year's CWRU class)

Only 9 applied, one of which was the class of 2003.

Originally posted by exmike
EIGHT OPHTHO!!! :wow: :wow: :wow:

ok, i'm convinced.

Exmike--
Are you thinking about going into optho? also, I wish they'd post the actual match list...it seems from last year that a good number of people match at U of M (my unrequited love...)
I guess no one matched into neurosurg. this year :(

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd
soulrflare
Kashue

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
Exmike--
Are you thinking about going into optho? also, I wish they'd post the actual match list...it seems from last year that a good number of people match at U of M (my unrequited love...)
I guess no one matched into neurosurg. this year :(

Just something I've thought about tangentially. I point it out more as a measure of how strong the match is since its a very competative residency, but not rare like derm.

another thing, how come our thread is filled with DUDES. Is there not a single female going to Case? :laugh:

Originally posted by exmike
another thing, how come our thread is filled with DUDES. Is there not a single female going to Case? :laugh:

i was wondering the same thing. :eek:

not only that...it looks like there will only be 7 people in our class total if you include niveknat (because as we all know, everyone is an SDN'er)...good student to faculty ratio at least.
btw...it's snowing here (southeastern ohio) and it's nearly april!! I don't know how i'm gonna handle the cleveland winters :(

Can I join ya group too ?

I may go to Case this Fall. :D :D

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
btw...it's snowing here (southeastern ohio) and it's nearly april!! I don't know how i'm gonna handle the cleveland winters :( [/B]

It's snowing up here in Cleveland right now as well. Yesterday was rainy and not too cold. Today, it's snowing and pretty darn cold.

Last year, we had already had a few warm weekends by now. Still, even after a warm weekend of two, we ussualy get one or two more snow spells.

Judd

Originally posted by larryt
Can I join ya group too ?

I may go to Case this Fall. :D :D

Hey, i don't care if dental students join the thread. BTW, does naybody know if we qualify for nearly free dental care at the dental school? Is this a good idea?

Judd

Originally posted by juddson
Hey, i don't care if dental students join the thread. BTW, does naybody know if we qualify for nearly free dental care at the dental school? Is this a good idea?

Judd

As for me, I'm gonna transcend dental medication :hardy:

My sister went to dental school and I followed her around clinic and had some work done at her school. From this I learned: If you get free dental care, make sure you're getting it from a fourth year student. Otherwise you're a complete guinea pig.

Judd, I'm thinking about purchasing a Condo near school. Are they affordable, relatively new condo's near campus, maybe 2 bedrooms. How much would they be if such condos existed. It seemed from your inital post that the housing near campus is mostly old apartments and houses.

hey exmike,

The closest condos are in Little Italy. As I mentioned in the first post (I think) the area is gentrifying. That means that the condos there are UBER-expensive. In the old schoolhouse (a great building with "interesting" condo spaces) has condos ranging from about 130k to 400k. I looked at a one-bedroom in that building the year before last. They wanted 170k at that time. I think some of the units in the basement were only in the 130k's. The spaces are nice, but the basement is the basement.

The other condos are really townhomes. Starting at 400 (for instance, the GM of the Cleveland Indians lives in one of those.

The rest of the housing in Little Italy is run-down rental.

You probably could not afford any condos in Beechwood, though if you do venture out that far, expect to pay north of 170k for a one to two bedroom.

Your best bet is University Heights, a cute little community between Cleveland Heights and Beechwood in which John Carrol University is located. They have cute little brick colonials (1600-1700 sq) for in the 150k. I'm guessing nice condos can be had in the 130k's. Look on Warrensville Center road near the fairmount traffic circle (the entrance to the University is on that circle as well).

My guess is you'll be priced out of the condos in Shaker heights. That community has three neogothic highrise (8 stories or so) condo buildings RIGHT ON Shaker Square (as picturesque a town square as you have ever seen in the movies, with a huge independant bookstore, organic/healthfood supermarket, and trendy eateries). The buildings are beutiful, but I think many of the condo's inside are in the multiple hundreds of thousands, though I could be wrong about that.

Actually, I see that Shaker has a number of red brick condo buildings with units in the low 100's (say, 125k). So, there are places in shaker to look at.

If you ever come to Cleveland before school starts, let me know. I can show anybody around who wants to.

Judd

wow, judd, i can definitely use your help if i do decide that case is where i will be next year. thanks in advance :thumbup:

Judd, thanks for the info! pursuing your leads now..

Hey guys (i seem to be the only girl)--here's a link to some apartment listings which seem like they're decent. Look in Little italy and Coventry--i think Tremont's on the west side. Judd may have said this already, but Little Italy's right by school. Coventry can be convenient, too--there are CWRU shuttles that go from school to that area.

http://www.primogroup.com/

and to keep the tally running.....

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd
soulrflare
Kashue
hobs

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

thanks for the link hobs!

here's another housing link though the listings are dense and intimidating. the best thing to do is to google the individual real estate agencies and look at their websites.

sweet, a girl. Hobs you'll have to fight us guys off with a stick.

Howzit, gang

Jeeze, I go backpacking for 2 weeks and I miss the openning of the official Case thread! Anyway, I'm definately University-program bound, so I guess I'll be seeing y'all in Cleveland in August. I'll be coming from the West Coast, and I'll be scrambling for housing sight-unseen, so thanks, Judd and everyone else for all your info. Also, (and sorry if someone's already mentioned this, I didn't read every post on this thread) if you're looking to get hooked up with a roommate, you can call Mrs. English in the admissions office, and she'll set you up on her informal bulletin board/list of med students looking for roomies.

Later

-Nate-

There is a "relocating to cleveland" pdf packet that you can download on the CCLCM website-- it has a bunch of housing stuff and other info about the city, some of which seemed useful.

Updated

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing
Nate121

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Judd
soulrflare
Kashue
hobs

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

Wait a minute, exmike - is the "Case intended" group supposed to be more sure about ettending Case or less sure than the "Case Admitted, likely" group.

i was under the impression that "Case Intended" means "i wanna go there, but I have not been admitted yet". I think nate has been admitted and wants to come to university, so wouldn't he be in the "Case Accepted, likely".

Clarify the labels for me.
Judd

maybe i put too many categories up.

Case intended: Accepted and will enroll

The other two contain levels of uncertainty in regards to enrolling, but all are for accepts. I for one am strongly leaning towards case, so while I am not "intended" i am "likely"

We could rejig the categories..

Originally posted by juddson
Wait a minute, exmike - is the "Case intended" group supposed to be more sure about ettending Case or less sure than the "Case Admitted, likely" group.

i was under the impression that "Case Intended" means "i wanna go there, but I have not been admitted yet". I think nate has been admitted and wants to come to university, so wouldn't he be in the "Case Accepted, likely".

Clarify the labels for me.
Judd

hmm, i assumed it was for people who have already been admitted who are pretty much positive that they'll be attending case. if not, i guess i'd best switch myself to the "accepted, likely" group.

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing
Nate121
soulrflare
Judd
hobs

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Kashue

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

Ok...I switched myself because barring and admit from CCLCM (or a huge finaid package from rochester) I'm going to Case...Judd and hobs, I assumed you were pretty much decided so I switched you two. Kashue, I'm not sure where you intend to go, so I'll let you reshuffle yourself if need be.

adding myself as CCLCM undecided
Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing
Nate121
soulrflare
Judd
hobs

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Kashue

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

CCLCM undecided
duka

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing
Nate121
soulrflare
Judd
hobs

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Kashue

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

CCLCM accepted, unsure
duka

Ok, yes, this makes more sense. Barring an admit from CCLCM, I'll be at case. That is ironclad for me. AND, even with an acceptance from CCLCM, I'm still 85% heading towards Case.

Judd

thanks for the new category, duka.

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing
Nate121
soulrflare
Judd
hobs

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Kashue

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat

CCLCM accepted, unsure
duka
fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic-- what other schools are you deciding on at this point?