Official Case Western Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is ? The OFFICIAL Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine thread. This year Case had two distinct medical schools, the ?University Program? and the ?College Program?. Please indicate in this thread whether you are at least 75% sure you are going to one or the other, and indicate which one that would be.

As a long-time Cleveland native (and a Case undergrad grad) I?ll spend a few threads discussing places to live, eat, shop, etc. Hope this thread is helpful to those who have already decided to attend, and even more helpful to those who are still considering one of Case?s two medical schools.

It?s all good. . .

Judd

Members don't see this ad.

The city and where you want to live:

Cleveland is broadly divided into the East and West sides, both of which have numerous suburbs. The overwhelming majority of the cultural institutions in Cleveland are located on the East side in or around ?University Circle?. As you might have guessed, this is where Case Western Reserve University is located, along with University Hospitals of Cleveland and the medical school (CWRU). The circle and university itself is situated at the east margin of the city of Cleveland proper, at the foot of a hill leading up through a neighborhood called Little Italy into Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights, two east side suburbs. The Cleveland Clinic (the hospital and medical school - CCF) is located about ? mile west of University Circle on Euclid Avenue, one of three main arteries from University Circle to downtown Cleveland.

CCF does not (generally) have much housing within walking distance, and the closest housing will be the same housing that CWRU students will use. There may be a few apartment buildings nearby, but I have not been in them. Hence, everything mentioned about housing here applies both to CCF and CWRU

As one starts at the first suburb on the east side (Cleveland Heights) and moves (roughly) east to west, the ?wealth? of the suburb increases ? again, very generally ? and therefore the cost of housing tends to go up as you move farther east ? although there are certainly a few blips in cost along the way. Let?s start at or near campus.

At the foot of the campus and hospitals there is situated the Triangle Apartments, a collection of two high rise apartment buildings. I think these were built in the early 1990?s, and therefore make them among the newest apartment buildings in the area. They have a covered garage and are located by a rapid station. I lived in a one-bedroom apartment there in the late 1990?s and it cost me $750 a month. I have it on good word that the same apartment today would be about $850-900. Anyway, I found it clean and comfortable and EXTREMELY convenient to school.

Little Italy is an ?historical district? adjacent to the medical school. When I lived there, it was a total dump (and parts of it still are) and there is little there to suggest that it deserves the designation that it has. Rumor has it that in the 1960?s, the neighborhood lobbied for designation in order to prevent the University from buying up all the properties there for expansion. Of late, it has gentrified considerably. Half the housing in little Italy is rental, and consists of converted homes into multiple units. In my day, I have visited many that have smelled like vomit, while others were quite nice. You have to shop around. The rest of the housing is owned. Some of it original (meaning, falling down) and the rest consisting of uber-expesive brand new town homes ($400,000 and up) overlooking the city and university. There is also a converted school house in Little Italy with 12 or so condo units. These are ultra nice, and expensive. Many medical students live in the rental apartments in Little Italy and simply walk to school (5 minutes), go home for lunch, etc.

As you move up the hill, you hit Cleveland Heights. At the top of the hill on Overlook Road you will find the Waldorf Towers ? a quite building on a fairly quite street. This would be one of my favorite places to live. It?s about 12 stories, covered and lot parking (available and I think free). A HUGE studio in this building was about $450 in the lat 90?s. I?m guessing closer to $600 now. A one bedroom is closer to $750, I?m guessing, and up from there. This building is from the 1950?s, and some of the units have the original kitchens. But the units are clean and comfortable and few people have any complaints. Also within walking distance to the med school.

Cleveland Heights is one of Cleveland older communities, with a good smattering of turn of the century mansions, gentrified uber-expensive town-homes and a fairly good share of smaller apartment buildings (3 or 4 story buildings with 6-8 large units each). Some of these buildings are better than others (despite appearing almost identical from the outside) and will be reflect in price. Parking for these buildings can be difficult depending on the street (particularly those on Euclid Heights Blvd). Expect to pay $600 ? $800 a month for 3 bedroom units. Cleveland heights is a large suburb, and therefore depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to walk to school.

Moving a bit more east (and south, mostly south) you come into Shaker Heights, the most ?stately? of the Cleveland suburbs, with tree lines streets of $5M homes (Al Lerner, the namesake for the Cleveland Clinic program, owner of the Cleveland Browns and MBNA credit card company lives here, as well as a host of wealthy philanthropists) and long-rise apartment buildings of all price classes. This is a huge, varied and diverse (rated the most diverse community in the US in 2000 due to a 50/50 white/black ratio) community with plenty of places to live. I?ve always liked Shaker Heights and would have bought a home here but most of them are steam heat, which means no AC, which means I couldn?t have tolerated the summers - I am an AC sissy. For those with kids, Shaker Heights ALWAYS has the best (or nearly the best) schools in Cleveland (with the property taxes to match). Very pretty tree lined streets in most of the owned housing residential areas.

Moving east you come into University heights, which is named for John Carol University, and very picturesque Catholic liberal arts school. I like University Heights a lot because it is quite and clean, and fairly affordable. Some of the street are lined with low-rise red-brick with white trim apartment buildings that look great. Look for places to live near the ?Fairmount traffic circle?, on which JCU is situated. JCU has a nice library to study in, which will be nice because it?s way to far to walk to Case.

Finally, as you move out farther you hit Beechwood, the ?nuevo riche? community on the east side. Apartments near and around Beechwood mall and Legacy Village (the two ?upscale? malls in Cleveland? can run $1300-1500 for a one bedroom, and MUCH MUCH more. Some other less expensive apartments and condo?s abound, but still expect to pay 50% for all space in Beechwood compared to Cleveland Heights.

For those who don?t mind a bit of a drive, and want a slightly slower pace of life, there is the west side, which is where I live. Housing tends to be about the same price, but property taxes are lower, and there is more undeveloped space. The west side of Cleveland is more ?soccer mom?, if you know what I mean, particularly as you get out to Westlake. On the other hand, Lakewood (the nearest west side suburb) is pretty trendy and young, with TONS of low-rise apartment buildings (and a few expensive high rise ones as well). Expect to pay 500-600 for a one-bedroom. The drive to campus is about 20 minutes, which I do happily.

And then there is downtown. Over the past 10years or so Cleveland has been converting warehouses in the flats into expensive (and sometimes not so expensive) lofts and apartments for young urban professionals. I?m not sure how successful it has been since Cleveland still does not have that ?residential? feel to it downtown (for instance, no grocery stores, video rental places, etc.) But I have seen some of the apartments, and some are stunning. So, something to consider. Expect to pay $800 and up for HUGE one-bedroom. Cleveland also has some traditional high rise apartment buildings, but expect to pay plenty. Driving from downtown to campus is 5-10 minutes without traffic and a bit longer at rush hour.

If you have any questions, don?t hesitate to ask me. Next, I?ll talk about shopping and eating.

Judd

Great info Judd. Where are all the other Case/CCLCM intended??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 95% sure I'll be at Case next year, but I'm still waiting to see what the final damage will be. i don't think i'll get much institutional aid at all even though my parents aren't helping to pay. have any of you gotten you financial aid/budget awards yet? i sent my stuff in about a month ago, so i'm hoping to hear back soon.
also...if we can get a group together for a second look (maybe in two weeks) and contact the office, they might be willing to talk to us/show us around etc...

I will most likely be at Clev Clinic Lerner College this July. Very very happy that I got in and have the opportunity to go here. :) Still waiting for the (hopefully) generous fin aid Case will give me.

-KT :clap:
---------------------------
CCLCM Class of 2009

I'll be starting the university program this fall

Cheers for the thread and the exhaustive housing summary

What I'd love to do is to move to Cleveland a month or so early and spend the time helping out in homeless shelters and soup kitchens, really trying to get a feel for the city and its people ... do you have any connections in this realm Judd or anybody that you might be able to put me in contact with?

Looking forward to future installments ...

Ive been wanting to start at CCLCM since being accepted back in november. I still have to finish two Material Science engineering Courses to get my degree... I just read the extensive discussion in the other thread concerning cclcm splitting off. I remember at my interview back in october specifically asking if the clinic intended on splitting off, and i was assured that this was not the plan. Perhaps the story has changed for those who interviewed more recently. However, I dont see this happening until atleast a few classes have been graduated from the college program. For those accepted to the college program, do you intend on trying to pick up a masters degree through Case? Has anyone heard any new updates on this topic e.g. feasibility, depts. involved etc.?

Originally posted by autobot
Ive been wanting to start at CCLCM since being accepted back in november. I still have to finish two Material Science engineering Courses to get my degree... I just read the extensive discussion in the other thread concerning cclcm splitting off. I remember at my interview back in october specifically asking if the clinic intended on splitting off, and i was assured that this was not the plan. Perhaps the story has changed for those who interviewed more recently. However, I dont see this happening until atleast a few classes have been graduated from the college program. For those accepted to the college program, do you intend on trying to pick up a masters degree through Case? Has anyone heard any new updates on this topic e.g. feasibility, depts. involved etc.?

Yeah, I would like to pick up the M.S. in Applied Anatomy since I'm interested in a research surgery specialty.. hopefully feasibility won't be an issue since CCF and Case are relatively close to each other. Thanks for the extensive info on the living situation in Cleveland juddson; that was really helpful.

-KT

hi everyone, this is a great thread. i am on hold after interviewing at case like a lot of people, and have a question to you lucky accepted chaps. did you have to fill out a separate financial aid application for case, aside from just the fafsa, and if so, when is-was it due? i would call and ask the admissions office, but i am currently in quito ecuador, and am wondering how the financial aid process work for people that are on hold or get put on the alternate list and then get an acceptance, if and when that happens, it doesn?t sound like case has taken many people in years past. thanks for the info. cheers.

you have to fill out a need access form (online) if you want institutional aid, plus a purple sheet--request for fin aid. the purple sheet is really easy to fill out and should only take about 10 minutes. i'm not sure of the due date, but i think march 15th(?)
best of luck to you!

For all you Ohio people going to Case...
I was wondering why you are choosing Case over say OSU or Cinci. Obviously Case cost a fair amount more, so it's an issue that I'm really struggling with (though I'm pretty sure I'll be at Case next year.)
thanks

I'm out of state, so that 65K first year OSU out of state budget scares the poop out of me. If i was in state the choice would be a lot harder for me. I really liked OSU and I think they're on their way to becoming an elite medical institution. They have the resources and influence to become a major player in academic medicine. I dont think you can lose going to either. I just got a better "vibe" at Case. And you cant argue that the reputation of Case is better. 80K in tuition better? thats up to you. To me it was. That said, I'm still holding on to my OSU acceptance for now. Oh yeah, I'd say the actual academic facilities are better at OSU, but apparently Case will be addressing that with a new medical school building in the near future.

To be honest with you, I withdrew from OSU sometime after I got into Case. I went months and months without an invite (despite being in-state, non-trad with numbers in thier averages and some other stuff that other schools seemed to be interested in) and when it became clear to me that they were giving up on thier Ohio applicants (despite my 27 years of tax dollars going to them) and waiting to the VERY end to interview people that would MOST likely make up the bulk of there class (ie, people like me) I said **** em.

yea . . .basically spite.

65k for first year out-of-state budget!!?? is that right?

Judd

Members don't see this ad :)
I am shocked and dismayed that an out-of-state applicant to OSU has to add approx. $24,000 to the first year budget. That's a tuition payment of approx $44,000. THAT must be among the very highest nationwide, no?

$60k first year budget is unconsienable.

Judd

I guess you could say I'm non-trad too, with decent post-bac numbers and mcat scores. I interviewed at osu in december as was basically put on "hold," which ticked me off and puzzled me until i read that they're trying to go after more superstars. (i am definitely not one...) i did get into cinci however, and i REALLY don't want to go there for a number of reasons, even though my sis is there and it's a good school. i guess im struggling because my reasons for not wanting to go to cinci are personal and could be construed as trite, so i'm trying to convince myself that the extra money spent on case is worth it. don't get me wrong: I'm not just thinking about case to avoid cinci...i really dug case when i visited, got a good vibe (that was the only school where the dean invited us to his office after all), am impressed with the rep (everyone i've talked to have remarked on the rep when i tell them that i am most likely going to case) on the other hand i don't want to needlessly shoulder excessive debt if there's no difference between case and cinci, only to regret it when i'm a poor resident.
another factor which attracts me to case is the affiliation with the cleveland clinic, but ppl seem to think it won't last too long. plus, the new direction seems to be upsetting folks, and there's talk of faculty leaving...most of me is really excited about going there next year, but part of me is afraid for a number of reasons.
i dunno...i'm just venting in a stream of consciousness way, more to get this stuff off my chest than anything.
BTW Judd...thanks for the info on apts and such. it'll be very helpful in the coming months.
also, any more info about the new medical school building? probably won't be done until we are residents.

Originally posted by juddson
I am shocked and dismayed that an out-of-state applicant to OSU has to add approx. $24,000 to the first year budget. That's a tuition payment of approx $44,000. THAT must be among the very highest nationwide, no?

Judd

that's why they're giving up on in-staters +pissed+

(I'm glad Michigan won!! Go Blue!!!)

SoulRFlare I understand the decision you are about to make. I was accepted to both CWRU and Cincy and put on hold at osu. I am also ohio resident. If I had to pick between the two schools I would choose CWRU because I just had a better feeling for the school. CWRU has better reputation, I found the students at Case more diverse and active, the prof seemed great when I sat in a class, actually thought Cleveland was a pretty interesting city, and I felt I would fit into Case better than UC. Also I went to high school at cincy so I didn't want to stay at Cincy. If you feel better at Case, I think it would be worth it to go to Case. I don't want to make a mistake of picking a state school and later wondering what it would have been like if I chose to go to a school where I felt better.

I feel the same way some of you did. I expected to love Cinci, but in reality did not get along with it at all. I just had a bad vibe there, even though i wanted to like it. I didn't even like the student tour guides. I was just thrown way off the scent when I got there. i don't know why.

Objectively, I was NOT excited about the construction of the new building shutting down the library. Who cares about the books. It was the loss of the quiet study space, and basically I thought it would be four years of hassle.

Also, I was suprised to find that the facility at UC really wasn't any nicer (maybe 20% nicer - but that's not saying much) than those as Case. The actual med school part of Case is housed in a six story windowless tower. The same goes for the actual med school part of UC. I felt like I was in a basement no matter what floor I was on. At least as Case most of the research space does not feel that way.

I think you have to go where you feel comfortable. If you are comfortable at UC, I do NOT think the extra money at Case makes much of a difference. Both are good schools with good matching histories.

Don't feel bad about the extra 80k at case. In the long run, where you feel you will be happiest will be worth the extra money.

Judd

BTW, do you guys also feel the sort of contempt towards OSU that I have? I cancelled my app in November, so I have no idea if they would ever have given me love. As I said, I cancelled out of spite.

Do you guys feel a little contempt as well, or are you hoping you get in there?

Judd

I do feel little contempt toward OSU. If I knew that OSU were not giving preferences to ohio residents than I would have not applied there and saved myself money.

i've done this before with osu's budget, but as i am an OCD pre-med, i had to do it with cinci as well...
i added up the cinci and case budgets, pretending that the case tuition would be 37200 across the board--that is, i plugged our tuition into the other classes' budgets. it will go up of course, but so will cinci's. (when my sis started there it was about 11 or 12000. she's a third year now and the tuition is 21000. and for some reason, their third year tuition is 28000!?!)
anyway, the difference came out to be 53,799, which makes me feel a whole lot better... it's still a lot, but not as bad as I thought

Originally posted by taehong81
I do feel little contempt toward OSU. If I knew that OSU were not giving preferences to ohio residents than I would have not applied there and saved myself money.

I don't know if i'd say I feel contempt, but then again, i did grow up as a michigan fan...

In all seriousness though, I do feel a little slighted because they have a huge acceptance rate of those interviewed (especially in state), and yet i got put on hold. could be a lot of factors--for one, i was sick on my interview day, felt very awkward in my interview, and was not particularly chipper. plus my undergrad transcript has a lot to be desired. If i got into osu, i would feel the pressure to go simply because of the lower price tag--in other words, I didn't particularly like the school (didn't hate it either though)

Edit: I meant to quote Judd's question

Originally posted by juddson

Judd

I think Colorado's out of state tuition is around $60,000

at the univ of colorado, you can apply for your residency after living in denver for one year. upon receiving your residency, you can be considered as a state student. you only have to pay the in-state tuition after the first year.

i am not so sure where osu is heading since cleveland clinic is now affiliated with case. osu had the leverage to utilize the cleveland clinic to boost their ranking previously. i am not sure whether that is going to change.

btw, good to see the future cwru/cclcm folks are having good bonding experiences on this site. keep it up.

I'm 95% sure atm:

Add me to Case Class of 2008.

Originally posted by Kashue
I'm 95% sure atm:

Add me to Case Class of 2008.

sweet kash. welcome aboard!

Whats this I've heard about the "mistake on the lake" in re: to cleveland?

That would be the old Cleveland County Stadium by Lake Eerie. The Cleveland Indians used to play there before they moved to Jacobs Field.

Originally posted by ankitovich
That would be the old Cleveland County Stadium by Lake Eerie. The Cleveland Indians used to play there before they moved to Jacobs Field.

That's Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Cleveland sits in Cuyahoga country. Personally, I think Detroit is the mistake on the lake.

Judd

see you in cleveland this fall! :)

howdy guys? a case/cclcm potential.

poor thread was languishing on page four.

i'm headed for Case.

Just got the Doc Opera info letter in the mail today. I've never actually been to one of these med school funny talent show things......i wonder if it's any good. ...

seems like it's a "second look" weekend type of thing. don't think i'll be able to go, though.

incidentally, i'm from pittsburgh, and we consider cleveland to be the mistake on the lake, definitely. but i think it has more to do with football than anything
:laugh:

Ah great!!! I'm going to have to endure the rotten stench of a Steelers fan wafting its way through my med school. :D :D :D

Just kidding. Welcome aboard.
Judd

make that two steelers fans! our evil plan is to completely occupy cleveland by 2010 :smuggrin:

Make that 3 steelers fan. We've got you surrounded, Judd. :smuggrin:

Since i went to college in baltimore where the ravens play, and since the ravens are a vestige of the old cleveland browns, I guess by association I am a Browns fan. There, Judd, i got your back.

any 49er fan going to case next yr? i will be surrrounded by steelers fans for the next however many years. that's no good :D

I was raised in Baltimore (still remember the Colts leaving ... and still root for my stolen team) ... so through empathy I'm also a Browns fan ... so I guess we're all even now (3-3)

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!

There, I threw out a team everyone can agree to hate :)

Lived in texas most my life. Actually live down the street from where the Texas Rangers Play. But I never caught on to being a Bears fan going to school in Illinois.

Go Rams. And go Chiefs. I'm from Missouri, can you tell? ;) I'm really gonna miss good quality sports when I'm in Cleveland. Oh well.

BTW, Judd, I PM'ed you.

-KT

I'm an alum of CWRU SOM, please PM me if you have any questions.

mike

Hey Judd--
Can you get your hands on a 2004 Case matchlist?

Lets start a list of who is going for sure and who isnt!

Case Intended

Case accepted, likely
exmike

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely

Lets start a list of who is going for sure and who isnt!

Case Intended
bocai

Case accepted, likely
exmike

Case accepted, unsure

CCLCM Intended

CCLCM accepted, likely