Official CMS/Finch Class of 2007 and AP 2003 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wanted to throw my 2 cents on this cell phone thing...in my opinion the service with the best signal here is Sprint. Verizon is the worst here (they are great everywhere else but not here...go figure). Sprint though will get you great signal all over the school and in most of the area. ATT is pretty good too, not sure about cingular. T-mobile is not bad either.

Members don't see this ad.

A couple more things to add as I was scanning all the posts from this past weeked....

Lil Iceboy: Once you get your car here you need to get it winterized...they put some sort of rust protection thing on the bottom of the car to protect it from the salt (and yeah they pour a ton here).

Will....just wanna add, that was -25 degree with windchill! The actual temp was less, but the wind made it worse (for those of you that dont know what windchill is...you will soon though..hehe). Anyways...yeah the weather here does suck, but you learn to adjust. I know some Cali people who thought 40 degrees was cold...a few months into winter though that became warm...hehe. Things are pretty on the extreme here though...humid in the summer and bitter cold in the winter. Hopefully though next Winter will be mild since this past one was so bad. That tends to be the trend.

Orientation week will have a bunch of social things going on....the one thing I know of for sure (since some of my friends were involved in planning a lot of it) is that there will be a party Fri nite at Cherry Red...free drinks 10-12 I believe. I was going to be an OA this year but had a change of plans so I wont be around....as many of you guys get in here, I'll be leaving to spend some time at home. Hopefully, though, I'll still get to meet many of you once school begins.

Originally posted by LABRUIN407
So, it sounds like Cingular wireless would work just fine in north chicago, right? also, what type of health insurance are you guys getting? i called blue cross last Friday and they told me that coverage in North Chicago would be 80 bucks/month. Is that a good deal? Thanks a bunch!!!

I just went and picked up the info on the school's new Health Insurance program. It's expensive! :eek: Hehe...luckily I've convinced my mother to keep me on her plan back home to save me some money.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah best to do yourself a favor and go with something else for insurance...the school promised so many "great changes" in the insurance plan for this year but you can find much cheaper plans with better coverage on your own. They really dropped the ball on that one. Oh well. Blue cross does seem to have the best plans out there right now...Im probably goign with them...

Hi guys,

I just called Blue Cross and they said it could take up to 30 days before an application for insurance is approved. How are you planning on waiving out of the school's insurance by the August 1st deadline??

Originally posted by efjayen
Hi guys,

I just called Blue Cross and they said it could take up to 30 days before an application for insurance is approved. How are you planning on waiving out of the school's insurance by the August 1st deadline??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the deadline to show proof of insurance? So if it isn't ready, you'll be charged for the school's, but might be able to switch over and get your money back once you get a new policy. I could be wrong though. Best idea is to call and find out.

The deadline to waive out of the insurance is August 30. So you should have some time

Got in! i guess im leaving this week...really last minute but im excited. thinking of buying a car up there..does anyone recommend a place? also..a place to buy furniture stuff?

i read about the verizon cell phone being the worst..i just got a new verizon phone. is it really that bad????

Kavita

IKEA is a great place for some furniture. It's a bit of a drive though. As for Verizon, I'm not sure. I've heard different things. I'm with ATT myself. Congrats by the way, and we'll see you next week.

Ikea really is great. I went there the other day and it is HUGE! It looked like people go there and spend the whole day; it's like a fun vacation resort! Crazy. The downside to Ikea is that it costs $99 to have up to 25 items delivered from Ikea to North Chicago. So although the furniture is cheap, I wouldn't go there unless you have a big car or you only need small furniture. Anyway, you can also get some cheap, but pretty sturdy furniture at Target, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc...

I also noticed that there is a La-Z-Boy furniture store over by Gurnee Mills (it's next to the Target across the street from Gurnee Mills). I'm not sure how expensive it is, but it's closer than Ikea and they probably deliver to North Chicago for less.

Congrats on getting in!

Congrats Kavita!!! As for Verizon...yeah Im being totally honest with you when I tell you it really sucks out here. I mean I guess it's better than having nothing but seriously, it's pretty awful. I know two people that have it and they get awful reception, and plus my family came to visit recently and they all have verizon...same deal with them. Go figure. Maybe you can still return it if it's within the first month.

As for furniture...office depot has some hot deals on desks right now so check that out (maybe look online to get some ideas). You can also find some decently priced shelves there as well. There is a store not too far from here. Walmart is also another place to check out for bookshelves and lamps. Ikea of course is an option...and I mean you can at least get nice coffee and end tables there without the need for a big car...maybe some chairs too and a small shelf. They also have some good lamps too. I just recently got some for pretty cheap there. As for beds...there are a few bedding stores...(bedding experts and american mattress in Gurnee and/or Vernon Hills) if you go and bargain a little you can get a good deal at one of those places.

As for cars...there are a bunch of dealerships if you go North on Green Bay away from the school...toyota, and some others. So you might wanna try there.

Hope that helps!

hi guys,

i was just wondering whether anyone knows the so-called "mandatory" orientation is REALLY mandatory. I kind of have a family affair and would like to stay in CA through next week. If you guys know, please post a message. Thanks a lot!!

Originally posted by LABRUIN407
hi guys,

i was just wondering whether anyone knows the so-called "mandatory" orientation is REALLY mandatory. I kind of have a family affair and would like to stay in CA through next week. If you guys know, please post a message. Thanks a lot!!

It's not entirely mandatory, as people are accepted throughout orientation. It's just a big part of getting to know the school and your classmates. They're pretty understanding if there are circumstances, which wouldn't allow you to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Will so do they have a roommate match setup for orientation. As in "Anybody who needs a roommate, please to go table X and mingle please"?

And dress is casual for orientation right?

Yup there is a roomie match thing. There is usually a housing meeting after all the days events. I know a lot of people that found roomates that way, including me. That experience went so well, I'm now living in a 1 bdrm apt by myself. ;) And yes dress is casual. It'll be too hot to wear anything else.

I talked to a friend of mine about getting food in the area.

He was saying that there were 3 tiers of markets. Dominicks being the top and Jewel's being the middle, forgot what the bottom was. But since there's rich neighborhood nearby, the Jewels there caters to the upscale clientele?

Also is the gym at school any good? Do they have the standard assortment of weight machines, benches, and cardiovasculars?

First:

Bubbajones: PM me and Ill talk to you about my stats. Why do you ask anywayz? Are you trying to get in?

kau7: congrats on getting in. I look forward to meeting you

To everyone else: well, I finally made it here to school. Its a pretty place compared to Los Angeles but its kinda dead around here. Not much activity or night life, kinda boring with no-one around. I'm in the university apt and its pretty dead here. I wonder how ppl survive living off campus when you don't know anyone, I'd be so depressed living by myself. But I'm sure that you'll meet ppl when school starts.

As for the apt, I'm quite impressed. Coming from Santa Monica in LA and paying for rent $850 a month, this place is cheap and the rooms are decent sized. I'm in a 2 bedroom for those who don't know. I think the room is bigger than mine in cali. Its so clean because its new too and the decore is iKEA like. For those coming to live here, I recommend it! Plus the internet is FREE! DSL or T1 whatever. I didn't have to even set it up, just plug and play! Anyway, for those of you coming to the dorms or already here, let me know your room number and when you arrive. Well, hope to meet you fellow SDNers

TheKoman

Oh, just wanted to say that the drive here is a b#*$. Fly if you can and ship your car. It took me 3 days about 10-12 hours a day. You can make it in 2 if you drive 16+ per day.

Oh, anyone know where you can get that protective coat under your car from? How much? Also, I have a car that has those plastic shields on the bottom of the car to protect it, do I still need the rust protective coat?

Originally posted by TheKoman

To everyone else: well, I finally made it here to school. Its a pretty place compared to Los Angeles but its kinda dead around here. Not much activity or night life, kinda boring with no-one around. I'm in the university apt and its pretty dead here. I wonder how ppl survive living off campus when you don't know anyone, I'd be so depressed living by myself. But I'm sure that you'll meet ppl when school starts.

Things will definately pick up next week. I'm bored off my arse here also. Been here since last monday. I'm almost completely settled, except the little mishap by IKEA (delivering dirty furniture). My living room must wait again. Most of the people I know won't be showing up till the end of the week...so I'm pretty much just lounging in my apartment. Welcome to N. Chicago. ;)

If your car is from Cali then you'll likely still need something. I would call your dealership or the place you got your car from and ask to make sure. You still have some time though before you really have to get it done. As for being around here...well N. Chicago isn't the greatest place but things will pick up once people arrive...orientation is sort of fun cause you get to finally meet new people. But yeah...welcome to Waukegan...hehe

good luck peds, i'll be keepin my fingers crossed for you.

TheKoman,

I PMed you.

whyme

hey i know i won't be starting there in the fall...but i thought since i had such good memories at cms, why not create another one.....so for those of you that are in town for orienation and have not planned anything friday, keep it free, a few of my friends (3 girls!!!) and I are celebrating our bdays....either butterfield 8, superlounge, or harry's. I'll make another post. If you guys are interested in coming, PM me...i'm going to tell my future UIC classmates as well. Take care.

Originally posted by anxiousmed
hey i know i won't be starting there in the fall...but i thought since i had such good memories at cms, why not create another one.....so for those of you that are in town for orienation and have not planned anything friday, keep it free, a few of my friends (3 girls!!!) and I are celebrating our bdays....either butterfield 8, superlounge, or harry's. I'll make another post. If you guys are interested in coming, PM me...i'm going to tell my future UIC classmates as well. Take care.

Sounds good. And if you have the chance, you should definitely come out to some of the oreintation activities. We'd love to see old friends there man. PM me and I'll let you know what's planned when I find out.

Hey Peds...you're probably referrring to the MIS program. I went thru it myself a couple years ago. It is very similar to AP in concept...you take neuro, physio, and biochem (along with departmental courses which are honestly not that tough) and if you do well (at least a B in all classes) you get in. The program starts in September...yeah you get a longer summer but the disadvantage of this is that you dont get the chance to be "eased in" to the med school curriculum the way the AP's do, starting with the M1's. Instead you kind of have an easy first couple months and then once physio begins in Nov, you are suddenly taking a med school course and expected to know how to keep up with it all and pace yourself.

THe program itself is pretty small...my year there were about 17 people starting out, this past year I think it was roughly the same number. My year, of those 17, 5 made it in here, and another 5 made it elsewhere. So I guess 10 total made it into medschool...the 5 making it elsewhere did so largely in part to their past performances, and probably not due to anything they did that year (although I guess a good first term transcript probably does and did help). I myself had interviews elsewhere as well, but only ended up waitlisted at those places.

Also another difference from AP is that with the MIS degree, it probably carries a little more weight than the AP degree (although both aren't that valuable overall). It is possible to not get into med school here, and still get the MIS masters. If that does happen (and hopefully it doesnt) you do have the option of continuing on and getting an MS degree in Medical Radiation Physics....this would allow you to go and work as a medical radiation physicist, which I hear is an in demand position. Basically you do chemotherapy, radio therapy, etc. Overall though, anyone entering the MIS program does so for the same reasons one would join AP...to get into med school.

Ok well that's a brief rundown of the program. If you have any other questions PM me...else good luck with hopefully getting that AP acceptance!

:( the lady told me that all the spots have been confirmed yet I am still "under consideration." I want to tell her to stop toying with my emotions! :mad:

Dr. Will (or anyone who can help), im in the ap program this year, and i just found out that there is a genetics final two days after my bestfriends wedding. The wedding is in cali, so i will be gone most of the weekend. I am the best man so it would be really crappy if i didn't go, but I really don't want to screw up on that final. What do you think? How hard is the class? Is it totally insane for me to go? any help would be great

It's a medical school level genetics class taught over a 3 week period. You can't afford to fall behind The final is worth 90% of your grade. You better have a good day when you take it to start off on the right foot. There's a make up in Janurary, 5 months after you've been presented with the material. I didn't think the class was all that easy. Having the final worth so much for your very first exam isn't a pleasant thought either. It's honestly up to you and how well you think you could handle that load. This is definitely a difficult decision to make. But if you work hard enough before hand and stay ahead, you might be able to. It just really depends on you.

Hey Everyone.

I just want to say hi to all my future classmates at Finch. I am very excited about the orientation coming up this monday and I can't wait to meet you all.

Bart

Well tomorrow's the day everyone. I hope I get to meet a bunch of you. FYI...I'll probably be wearing my red Tamba Bay Bucs Warren Sapp jersey tomorrow (i'm usually not this much of a dork but it's better than asking everyone if they post on SDN :p) so please if you see me, come up to me and introduce yourselves. My name is Will. ;) Looking forward to tomorrow, it'll be fun.

Yeah have fun at orientation for all you guys that are starting tomorrow! Enjoy the week cuase after that everything starts to come fast....you'll know what I mean a week from now. Anyways...I'll be there in a couple weeks time so hopefully I'll see some of you new people around...

Got the chance to meet a couple of you today. Hope you all plan on going out tonight to Flatlanders so I can meet the rest of you. Don't be shy...I won't bite. ;)

I have never heard of Finch/Chicago Medical School.

Is that like a second Medical School for the University of Chicago on the north side?

Originally posted by pathstudent
I have never heard of Finch/Chicago Medical School.

Is that like a second Medical School for the University of Chicago on the north side?

Get a life troll.

Well EXCUUUUUSSSE me!

So I guess that is a "no"?

Manik and Medulla...it was a pleasure talking to you both tonight. I'll definitely be seein you. Medulla...we gotta get crackin on the bbq plans. ;)

anyone know if Cingular GSM works well at CMS?
how about AT&T GSM or T-mobile GSM?