Official Diploma Mill List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they do, it means they are a witch.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

Tuvok: The townspeople have started to pile kindling at the base of three lamposts in the village square.

Janeway [a look of "oh no"]: Stand by.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm a 1PD at UF COP and at orientation the Dean was talking about how we now have to set ourselves apart from what most of us essentially call "pharmacy diploma mills" when it comes to getting a job later.

Can we start compiling an official list of diploma mills (based on sound logic and relevant experiences) so that future students can begin avoiding them?

Define a Pharmacy Diploma Mill as:

"Pharmacy schools which have opened at universities (or colleges) with few well-established terminal health programs or standing hospital affiliations, and which typically charge exorbitant tuitions, citing an ongoing pharmacist shortage and reducing admissions standards to recruit the majority of their students"

We can't ignore this trend. As future pharmacists it only makes sense to come out and address this issue in public. Please state your opinions and add to the list. In each reply please copy the list below and add to it.

Add a number next to the diploma mill if you are in agreement with this conclusion.

Subtract a number next to the diploma mill if you are in disagreement with the conclusion. This way we can achieve consensus.

Please provide the reasons for your stated opinion. Can we make this a sticky?

::: Ducks and hides for cover :::

LIST

D'Youville College of Pharmacy (1)
University of the Incarnate Word Feik School of Pharmacy (1)
College of Norte Dame School of Pharmacy (1)

You sir, are an idiot.

You must also think Tebow is the best QB in the NFL

You sir, are an idiot.

You must also think Tebow is the best QB in the NFL

I went to UF and I agree with you. Isn't Tebow the best in the NFL?
Not this year, but soon..................

....What did he think causes menst-never mind, please don't answer that...

Once a month, Chuck Norris secretly sleeps with every heterosexual female in the world. As a result of his hard and furious love, they bleed for a week.

:smuggrin:

Bump! Good thread! Anyone want to add anymore schools to the list?

Yeah, this thread should be on a sticky. :)

Someone should start a website called pharmacydiplomamills.com. I'm sure that might be slander or illegal to call out schools in such a manor so I'd have to visit the legal forums for a consult..... Maybe someone could start it out of the country? That worked for wikileaks for a while anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
So what is the point of this again?

I'm sorta of the opinion that this thread seems to be a thinly veiled Ivy League > regular univeristy-esque thread. The title or reputation of some schools don't match those of others therefore they are not as good by default.

How nice to see yet *another* way for people to be judged on their competency...

I'm sorta of the opinion that this thread seems to be a thinly veiled Ivy League > regular univeristy-esque thread. The title or reputation of some schools don't match those of others therefore they are not as good by default.

How nice to see yet *another* way for people to be judged on their competency...

All you pre-pharmacy students are right none of this matters! :laugh: like I said in another thread, school attended doesn't matter and neither does gpa, experience etc! See you when you graduate.

+infinity on this thread :laugh:

I forgot about this thread.

I'm sorry, but if you get your PharmD from a place called D'Youville, no one will take you seriously.

Also, if you advertise your PharmD on a billboard, you are a diploma mill.

If your school has no other health programs, you are a diploma mill.

If you advertise your position for founding Dean on Monster.com, you are a diploma mill.

If you open your school in a metro area that already has 3+ pharmacy schools, you are a diploma mill.

If your department chairs have their MBA from the University of Phoenix, you are a diploma mill.

If you mention the "pharmacist shortage" as the reason for opening your school, you are a diploma mill.

If you have a school administrator or admissions counselor that posts on SDN, you are a diploma mill.

Feel free to add to the list!

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but if you get your PharmD from a place called D'Youville, no one will take you seriously.

Also, if you adversite your PharmD on a billboard, you are a diploma mill.

If you advertise your position for founding Dean on Monster.com, you are a diploma mill.

If you open your school in a metro area that already has 3+ pharmacy schools, you are a diploma mill.

If your department chairs have their MBA from the University of Phoenix, you are a diploma mill.

If you mention the "pharmacist shortage" as the reason for opening your school, you are a diploma mill.

If you have a school administrator or admissions counselor that posts on SDN, you are a diploma mill.

http://ccspedu.com/student-info/career-opportunities

wonder where they got this information?

Also, if you adversite your PharmD on a billboard, you are a diploma mill.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I got one... If your students get on this board to argue there are no such things as diploma mills and the school you attend or gpa doesn't matter, we'll all have jobs, they are going to a diploma mill.

Field experts are predicting a nationwide shortage of pharmacists due to changes in the insurance industry and in federal regulations of pharmaceuticals, an aging population, and a dramatic increase in the number of prescriptions advertised and dispensed to the public

FIELD EXPERTS say so.

There is no way to be judged on competency. The boards don't do that. If you don't believe there are tiers of schools then you are naive.

all schools outside of California are diploma mills, right?! right!!

I got one... If your students get on this board to argue there are no such things as diploma mills and the school you attend or gpa doesn't matter, we'll all have jobs, they are going to a diploma mill.

But, but my school is a top ten! Is it possible to be both a top ten AND a diploma mill? God I hope not! :(

I think it is incredibly naive of anyone to think that the rank of their school is going to in any way help them get a job. The fact I go to a top ten is not going to help me get a job. The alumni network might (UF grads are big in Florida, a fact that I do not mind one bit) but that is an altogether different issue. I would be happy to bet you $100 that my company will not ask for my gpa after I graduate.

But, but my school is a top ten! Is it possible to be both a top ten AND a diploma mill? God I hope not! :(

I think it is incredibly naive of anyone to think that the rank of their school is going to in any way help them get a job. The fact I go to a top ten is not going to help me get a job. The alumni network might (UF grads are big in Florida, a fact that I do not mind one bit) but that is an altogether different issue. I would be happy to bet you $100 that my company will not ask for my gpa after I graduate.

Why would UF be a diploma mill? B/c of the satellite campuses?? :laugh:

You should include your GPA on your resume and CV...the companies will look at that of course. If you leave it out it would be kinda werid.

Also, if you advertise your PharmD on a billboard, you are a diploma mill.

If your school is younger than 80 to 100 years old then you are at a diploma mill.

There is a minimum level of competency that is measured by the wonderful people that put together the NAPLEX. Beyond that, there is no way to judge competency. Basically theres a passing score and a non-passing score. Scoring beyond that tells me nothing.

I don't think that my grades at UB can even be compared to that of D'Youville. What is the conversion? Not to mention this task is fairly difficult to do since cirriculums vary so greatly. The NAPLEX would greatly fill the void if the results were meaningful.

You should include your GPA on your resume and CV...the companies will look at that of course. If you leave it out it would be kinda werid.

I think its kind of weird to put your GPA on your resume/CV. If they care about your GPA, they will ask for your transcripts. At one of my residency interviews, the director said that he doesn't provide an applicants GPA or transcripts to the interviewers. He doesn't like that to influence their impression of the interview.

EPIC thread you shared there but nothing will beat the epicness of the Hawaii College of Pharmacy fiasco.

I tried to read the thread about it one night when I couldn't sleep. I think I made it about halfway.

I think its kind of weird to put your GPA on your resume/CV. If they care about your GPA, they will ask for your transcripts. At one of my residency interviews, the director said that he doesn't provide an applicants GPA or transcripts to the interviewers. He doesn't like that to influence their impression of the interview.

I agree interviewers shouldn't see stats as that can make them form a preconceived bias. However, I would still include it on your resume or CV otherwise that might raise questions as to why you didn't unless you're trying to hide something.

I don't think anyone is really saying your school doesn't matter. I think they're saying the "official" rankings don't mean that much, but school reputation does. Yes, school reputation is somewhat reflected in the rankings, but the personal experience of the person doing the hiring matter more. I don't care if you went to UCSF or UNC, if the person doing the hiring knows how good the graduates of a local program they won't care if that school is lower than the others. Even if a school is near the top of the list, if a director hasn't heard of the program (other than their ranking), it won't mean anything.

I'm not saying that everyone has a job when they graduate and where you went to school doesn't matter. I think the school does matter, but it isn't everything and the rankings don't mean a whole lot on their own.

I agree interviewers shouldn't see stats as that can make them form a preconceived bias. However, I would still include it on your resume or CV otherwise that might raise questions as to why you didn't unless you're trying to hide something.

He gave the CV to the interviewers so they knew what experiences to ask about.

Also, I had about a 3.9 and my GPA isn't on my CV. I have absolutely nothing to hide about it! I have a couple friends reviewing applications at their residencies, and they don't care if your GPA is on your CV or not. They'll know how you did in school from your transcripts. They'll know your clinical thinking from the interview (through questions or a case). Every reviewer I spoke with as a P4 and as a PGY1 said it isn't necessary. As I said, if they care about your grades they'll ask for transcripts. They might ask for your GPA in the application.

Why would UF be a diploma mill? B/c of the satellite campuses?? :laugh:

The statement was that if students at your school post that ranking/gpa does not matter (which I have, several times), you go to a diploma mill (I think this might have been meant somewhat humorous, as was my reply post). So therefore I must go to a top ten diploma mill, right?

I go to a satellite campus and my opinion of them is somewhat complicated. I think I receive a solid education, but hate the fact that UF puts out as many graduates as it does. But we are well educated practitioners. There are simply too many of us. :laugh:

I don't have my GPA on my CV. No one that I have interviewed with has mentioned it's omission or asked me what it is. Of course if you have a great GPA by all means list it if you want. But I don't think it's absence is considered odd.

He gave the CV to the interviewers so they knew what experiences to ask about.

Also, I had about a 3.9 and my GPA isn't on my CV. I have absolutely nothing to hide about it! I have a couple friends reviewing applications at their residencies, and they don't care if your GPA is on your CV or not. They'll know how you did in school from your transcripts. They'll know your clinical thinking from the interview (through questions or a case). Every reviewer I spoke with as a P4 and as a PGY1 said it isn't necessary. As I said, if they care about your grades they'll ask for transcripts. They might ask for your GPA in the application.

I think the point they are trying to make is that showing your high GPA can do nothing but improve your chances and at the very least do nothing for your chances. Since it doesn't hurt, why not show it?

The statement was that if students at your school post that ranking/gpa does not matter (which I have, several times), you go to a diploma mill (I think this might have been meant somewhat humorous, as was my reply post). So therefore I must go to a top ten diploma mill, right?

I go to a satellite campus and my opinion of them is somewhat complicated. I think I receive a solid education, but hate the fact that UF puts out as many graduates as it does. But we are well educated practitioners. There are simply too many of us. :laugh:

I don't have my GPA on my CV. No one that I have interviewed with has mentioned it's omission or asked me what it is. Of course if you have a great GPA by all means list it if you want. But I don't think it's absence is considered odd.

I see UF ads on Facebook every day. Therefore, UF is a diploma mill. You should quit now and consider truck driving school. Or clown college. :smuggrin:

I see UF ads on Facebook every day. Therefore, UF is a diploma mill. You should quit now and consider truck driving school. Or clown college. :smuggrin:

I would love to try stand-up someday. Or maybe improve, I bet that could be a fun hobby.

My uncle is a truck driver, no thank you. It's a hard life, though the money can be good.

Do even know how saturated the gigolo field is? Every job has 50 applicants! Stripping will require extensive investigation before I can decide.

You just need something to differentiate yourself from the other applicants. As long as you went to at least a top 69 stripping/gigoloing school, you should be fine. You won't need to put your GPA on your CV but there are some other...um....measurements that might belong there. :p:oops::laugh:

You just need something to differentiate yourself from the other applicants. As long as you went to at least a top 69 stripping/gigoloing school, you should be fine. You won't need to put your GPA on your CV but there are some other...um....measurements that might belong there. :p:oops::laugh:

Those are two very different fields of study. Now you want me to get into a joint degree program? I guess that might make me more competitive.

Those are two very different fields of study. Now you want me to get into a joint degree program? I guess that might make me more competitive.

Yes! I think they require a similar skill set and *cough* attributes. In today's market you've got to maximize your assets! :D

I think stripping is to giggoloing as tech work is to pharmacist work. There's some skill overlap and stripping is a good way to get your foot in the door, but giggloing requires a more advanced skill set and lots of experience.

bunny-thread-relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

Is UF satellite campus much easier to get accepted into than UF's traditional degree program? Did you have to apply to both of them seperately?

What is a satellite campus? you do everything online? is it easier than a regular classroom setting?

I don't know much about satellite campuses, but I agree there really do not need to be so many pharmacy schools. One pharmacy school per state sounds about right.

Yes! I think they require a similar skill set and *cough* attributes. In today's market you've got to maximize your assets! :D

I think stripping is to giggoloing as tech work is to pharmacist work. There's some skill overlap and stripping is a good way to get your foot in the door, but giggloing requires a more advanced skill set and lots of experience.

Fair points.

Is UF satellite campus much easier to get accepted into than UF's traditional degree program? Did you have to apply to both of them separately?

What is a satellite campus? you do everything online? is it easier than a regular classroom setting?

I don't know much about satellite campuses, but I agree there really do not need to be so many pharmacy schools. One pharmacy school per state sounds about right.

We do the same things as folks at the main campus and everyone applies together - no separate application process. The only difference is where we take our exams. Again almost everything is the same as main campus, we just take our exams/labs/etc at our individual campuses.

I agree. So we can agree that your diploma mill school should be closed b/c it's not the most highly ranked pharmacy school in your state?