Official: Drexel IMS Class of 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessbbn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone~

So far, looks as though I'll be in Philadelphia this fall. Anyone else? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there.

But is it really class of 2008? Cuz you either end up in a med school class of 2012, or Masters class of 2009. If there was any 2008, it'd be a dropout.

I'm leaning towards Drexel (sorry to post in y'alls official thread, but it's borderline official) but I'm worried about the fall courseload. Is anybody else concerned about having to take 23 credits at once? Especially that 7.5 credit biochem class?

I'm really nervous about comitting to the program since it looks way intense (especially compared to some of the other SMPs out there). But I am going to Philly this week to check it out and get some questions answered.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm leaning towards Drexel (sorry to post in y'alls official thread, but it's borderline official) but I'm worried about the fall courseload. Is anybody else concerned about having to take 23 credits at once? Especially that 7.5 credit biochem class?

I'm really nervous about comitting to the program since it looks way intense (especially compared to some of the other SMPs out there). But I am going to Philly this week to check it out and get some questions answered.

I've met with some students at Drexel Medicine, and their classload is actually heavier. I assume if i can't handle the IMS workload and kick ass, maybe I'm not ready or made for medicine.

Hey guys, I'm still deciding whether I should attend or not. One big factor is living situation. I'm actually in Honolulu this summer doing a research internship and I'll be coming into the IMS on Aug 11th(yes I'll be missing the orientation and first couple days of class). Anyone looking for a roommate who would move in Aug 11th? Whether I can find a roommate who can find and secure an apartment that I can move right into will be a deciding factor in whether I'll attend IMS. Just throwing it out there. Thanks.

I've met with some students at Drexel Medicine, and their classload is actually heavier. I assume if i can't handle the IMS workload and kick ass, maybe I'm not ready or made for medicine.

You have a very valid point. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I still have yet to be admitted to med school. There's far more pressure on us to get straight A's than there is on M1s. Is it a major cop-out to go to an easier SMP? (rhetorical question, not looking for an answer there)

As for the Drexel program, my main point of contention is that Biochem class...I took it as an undergrad and got a B. My undergrad class was supposed to be modeled after a medical class, but 7.5 credits means that getting a B at Drexel is pretty much unacceptable. There sure isn't a lot of wiggle room. :scared:

You have a very valid point. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I still have yet to be admitted to med school. There's far more pressure on us to get straight A's than there is on M1s. Is it a major cop-out to go to an easier SMP? (rhetorical question, not looking for an answer there)

As for the Drexel program, my main point of contention is that Biochem class...I took it as an undergrad and got a B. My undergrad class was supposed to be modeled after a medical class, but 7.5 credits means that getting a B at Drexel is pretty much unacceptable. There sure isn't a lot of wiggle room. :scared:

Two things:

If you got a B your first time, think how well you can do the 2nd time you take biochem.

I think you ought to do the right thing as person trying to learn the science of medicine and ignore just getting the right numbers at an easier SMP. If you had an interview and they asked why you chose your SMP, it'd be either a lie or a poor reason. Would you think any less of yourself if you went into a harder courseload, did a little worse (or worked harder for that A) than if you had gotten that A at Easy State University? I think honesty and maturity are more important in medicine than the numbers, as long as you can demonstrate you are capable of succeeding whether its a 3.7 or 4.0. Prove you can be a well trained doctor and that you are doing things for the right reasons and not just playing someone else's game.

Two things:

If you got a B your first time, think how well you can do the 2nd time you take biochem.

I think you ought to do the right thing as person trying to learn the science of medicine and ignore just getting the right numbers at an easier SMP. If you had an interview and they asked why you chose your SMP, it'd be either a lie or a poor reason. Would you think any less of yourself if you went into a harder courseload, did a little worse (or worked harder for that A) than if you had gotten that A at Easy State University? I think honesty and maturity are more important in medicine than the numbers, as long as you can demonstrate you are capable of succeeding whether its a 3.7 or 4.0. Prove you can be a well trained doctor and that you are doing things for the right reasons and not just playing someone else's game.

Yeah, the only reason I would be going any other SMP at this point would be because they have an easier courseload. I only recently realized that they differ a lot, much more so than I would have expected. I suppose this is why Drexel has a much better success rate than some of the others.

So I'm off to look for a place to live in Philly...anybody wanna share a house near Hahnemann? :p

Haha I guess your right thetrueth....I was only thinking in terms of my own goals (which is obviously the one-year certificate track).....

I'm really excited about starting the program...I've always loved challenging myself and testing my limits (we've all got *one* brain - not much room for excuses if others do better...other than the fact that they're probably trying harder or want it more)...Furthermore, I see this just as a head-start on studying for the boards! :luck:

Oh! I'm really hoping that I will be able to score a room at Stiles (even though it's late....and we're no longer guaranteed a room)...so if that plan falls through I'm *DEFINITELY* up for rooming with a *female*/*females*....(Note: I will be leaning towards the cheapest & closest apt. I can find - not planning on taking my car up there....I don't really see the point of forking over tons of money when I'll probably be spending 90% of my time either at school or in the library.) Let me know if anyone has the same mindset. ;)

Hey congrats to everyone... I'm going to the IMS program as well!!!

I applied to live in Stiles Housing... does anyone know when we find out if we got a spot or not? Or has anyone heard anything? If I don't get a spot I will be looking for another female to share cheapiest slash closest housing to Center City as well...

Also I'm not taking a car either... so if I do get housing at Stiles I'm wondering how I'm going to get furniture for it. What is everyone else doing about that?

Can't wait for August and studying with everyone :)

Alrighty, major edit after visiting the campus....

I am going in the fall! Yay! Seeing the campus and talking to some students definitely solidified the decision.

I'm also living in Stiles; they have rooms open still, but not a ton. The lady there said they would be full probably within the next week or so.

And parking, fyi...forget about it. Cheapest nearby is $150/month. The train station is really close, though....so woo, trains.

PS There's an IKEA in Philly nearby, so that's where I'm getting my furniture. There's also a Target nearby.

I saw someone post this link for www.phillycarshare.com in the MSP thread and I think its the best option other than actually having a car.

Plus if some of us collaborate, we can split the $15 monthly fee and get that cheaper rate. I know for sure, I'll be using this option. Especially early when i'm getting furniture and what not.

Oh, I'm also gonna be at Stiles, on the 5th floor.

sorry to revive this thread if no one was interested...(also, i think im posting under the wrong heading, but if you know, please help me out!)

i have been accepted to drexel's IMS for this fall, and am leaning really strongly towards it, but i also wanted to scope out the VCU BHS program in physiology...
i've heard equally horrific and terrific things about each, and was wondering if anyone was in the same conundrum as i am, and for those of you who have definitively chosen drexel's IMS, why? and over what other schools? (all if u don't mind, of course!)

if possible, i d be glad to hear by private message as well!
thank you all so much!

(PS, i apologize, im totally new at this....i've been viewing for quite some time, and i finally decided its about time i actually do something actively....so thank you all for posting so much information up here already!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, do you want to take grad level bio courses, or medical school courses?

That's the main (um, huge) difference between the programs. Drexel's is almost entirely med school classes, whereas VCU only offers graduate biology/chem classes.

There's your starting point, and go from there.

Ssquared~
I realize you were debating mainly between EVMS and Drexel. Did you by any chance visit EVMS's campus also? Was there any particularly *major* reasons you chose Drexel over EVMS? And did you already pay EVMS's deposit (since you heard from them alot earlier than Drexel)? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just curious because these two are also my first choices (even though I'm on EVMS's waitlist). Also, when are you planning on letting EVMS know about your decision? Thanks in advance! :laugh:

Ssquared~
I realize you were debating mainly between EVMS and Drexel. Did you by any chance visit EVMS's campus also? Was there any particularly *major* reasons you chose Drexel over EVMS? And did you already pay EVMS's deposit (since you heard from them alot earlier than Drexel)? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just curious because these two are also my first choices (even though I'm on EVMS's waitlist). Also, when are you planning on letting EVMS know about your decision? Thanks in advance! :laugh:

I did happen to visit the EVMS campus a few months ago, right after I paid the $200 (non-refundable :smuggrin:) deposit.

Before I heard from Drexel, I was very gung-ho about EVMS because it offered me the best chance to get into medical school (although I would have picked Georgetown if I didn't have to live with my parents in order to go there). I liked that EVMS had such a high acceptance rate into med school. But I as I learned more, I realized that it was because they all go to EVMS for medical school. For a lot of people, that's awesome, but for me, it's not ideal. I'm not in a position to be too picky about medical schools, but I probably could get into EVMS without doing an SMP (I am in-state, and have been told that they add .2-.3 to GPA's from my undergrad institution).

Ok, why else did I pick Drexel over EVMS? I like cities, and I just didn't feel terribly comfortable in Norfolk (disclaimer: personal opinion! many people like the city! please don't get angry over that comment!). Drexel's curriculum is much more intense than EVMS, and I think that rising to the challenge will have its rewards. I like that there are 100 students in Drexel's program, versus the 20 at EVMS.

As you can see, a lot of it is personal preference. Visit the two schools if you can, because only upon visiting do you get a feeling about where you should be. It solidified the decision for me (so much so that we paid the Drexel deposit then and there).

Oh, and I'll be letting EVMS know pretty soon about Drexel, as soon as my deposit clears and I'm certain that they know I'm going there.

Wow that was quick! Thanks for such a detailed reply. O yea...noticed your comment about many of the Drexel IMS students making B's, C's, and :eek::scared: F'S!!! :scared::eek: Sounds crazy, but oddly exciting at the same time...can't wait for the challenge! :laugh: Haha...I'm such a nerd... :p

I did happen to visit the EVMS campus a few months ago, right after I paid the $200 (non-refundable :smuggrin:) deposit.

Before I heard from Drexel, I was very gung-ho about EVMS because it offered me the best chance to get into medical school (although I would have picked Georgetown if I didn't have to live with my parents in order to go there). I liked that EVMS had such a high acceptance rate into med school. But I as I learned more, I realized that it was because they all go to EVMS for medical school. For a lot of people, that's awesome, but for me, it's not ideal. I'm not in a position to be too picky about medical schools, but I probably could get into EVMS without doing an SMP (I am in-state, and have been told that they add .2-.3 to GPA's from my undergrad institution).

Ok, why else did I pick Drexel over EVMS? I like cities, and I just didn't feel terribly comfortable in Norfolk (disclaimer: personal opinion! many people like the city! please don't get angry over that comment!). Drexel's curriculum is much more intense than EVMS, and I think that rising to the challenge will have its rewards. I like that there are 100 students in Drexel's program, versus the 20 at EVMS.

As you can see, a lot of it is personal preference. Visit the two schools if you can, because only upon visiting do you get a feeling about where you should be. It solidified the decision for me (so much so that we paid the Drexel deposit then and there).

Oh, and I'll be letting EVMS know pretty soon about Drexel, as soon as my deposit clears and I'm certain that they know I'm going there.

Wow that was quick! Thanks for such a detailed reply. O yea...noticed your comment about many of the Drexel IMS students making B's, C's, and :eek::scared: F'S!!! :scared::eek: Sounds crazy, but oddly exciting at the same time...can't wait for the challenge! :laugh: Haha...I'm such a nerd... :p

Yeah I don't have a full-time job right now, so I spend most of my time either watching Scrubs or on SDN. :p

haha.....you know it's bad when you DO have a full-time job and you're STILL on sdn 24/7~ :laugh:

Yeah I don't have a full-time job right now, so I spend most of my time either watching Scrubs or on SDN. :p

hey...sorry to bring this back up...

i didnt realize the threads moved forward so quickly ;)

i realized the curricula are different at VCU and Drexel, but im looking more importantly at what is better for getting into medical school...or at least, what seems to provide the better chance....

so far, i've come up with little that could guide me....both schools guarantee you seats in the second year of the program to get a master's if u choose to do so, but that doesn't really solve my problem of....well....going to med school....

apparently high grades (as close to 4.0 if not right on the mark) supposedly guarantee you admission to each respective medical school for the following fall....but then, this is something i've heard through the grapevine...
and of course, the option is always there for the "guaranteed interview" with a certain GPA (though i dont know what it is offhand) for each school....but that doesnt mean much as far as admissions, i think....

and of course, the aim of any of these programs is to better the candidacy for a seat in any medical school, and im just not sure im finding stuff to really give me a clear picture as to which school would be better in that regard....

the prospect of taking actual medical courses certainly is exciting....and im familiar with philadelphia already as i went to school nearby....
clearly, i have made my subjective choice already....

the question is what are the numbers to give me that necessary objective measure so that i can satisfy myself with at least the statistic security of a future in medicine....

sorry that was so long-winded....i gotta let VCU know by july 1st, and every time i talk to them, they're really nice and all, but they dont really help me much :(

hoping someone has gone through this and can impart some wisdom-from-experience ....

thank you :)

From a sheer numbers perspective, VCU has <50% accepted to medical school, whereas Drexel has about 60-80% accepted after the first year, and close to 90% after the second year.

The difference? Drexel has higher admission standards, and more of their students complete the program (VCU has a good number flunk out).

The way I see it, the best way to prove that I am capable of med school coursework is to do med school coursework.

(nothing against VCU, for some people it's a great choice)

thanks so much ssquared...

just curious....and if this is more appropriate for PM, i apologize in advance....

what were ur final few choices besdies Drexel...and ultimately what was ur inclination to "lean towards" drexel (if i haven't misquoted you ;) ), and finally choose it over your other choices?

(i very well may have missed your other posts, and i apologize if this is the case)

as i mentioned, im heavily partial to drexel for a variety of reasons, and the numbers seem to speak for themselves (and since theyre pretty much the numbers i heard, i guess the grapevine didnt distort the information too much :) )

see post #16 in this thread for bit more insight....

if you want more info, pm me.

Hey yall,

I tried calling Drexel yesterday but nobody answered or called me back today so I thought I'd see if anyone on here could answer some questions I have. Does anyone know if the class is already filled? And do I need LORs specifically for the IMS program or can I just use the ones I sent with my med school app? Thanks for your help.

Hey yall,

I tried calling Drexel yesterday but nobody answered or called me back today so I thought I'd see if anyone on here could answer some questions I have. Does anyone know if the class is already filled? And do I need LORs specifically for the IMS program or can I just use the ones I sent with my med school app? Thanks for your help.

When I've called previously I also found them a bit hard to get a hold of on the phone... but in terms of your questions, you can use med school LORs (I did), and I don't know how full the class is, but I just withdrew my spot yesterday so that's one there
good luck!

I'm trying to decide if I want to end up in Philly. Boston accepted me too but financially Philly seems like the place to go and both programs seem to be both difficult and in turn have good repuations. I assume either place I stick it out with will get me to my dream of going to medical school. I just wonder if one will better prepare me.

I'm trying to decide if I want to end up in Philly. Boston accepted me too but financially Philly seems like the place to go and both programs seem to be both difficult and in turn have good repuations. I assume either place I stick it out with will get me to my dream of going to medical school. I just wonder if one will better prepare me.

i think i would like boston more. Philly doesnt excite me at all, but the preparation concern is all on you. The difference, if any, would be negligible.

btw, Southwest is having a philly sale for 100/each way for anywhere in the US but must be booked by this saturday june 30th.

Wow, good to know about the southwest. People have been telling me it'd probably be best if I go to the places and check them out and see what feels right as far as campuses go, considering I'm from California and all I'm excited to get real seasons ;)

edit: I'm sort of leaning towards Philly because its cheaper to live in and I like the idea that I can start applying during the summer in between the first and second year of the program. I just don't like the idea of having to watch a movie of a lecture ><

Boston I've heard from everyone is a really awesome city to live in so thats what kind of sways me, although I'm betting I wont have much of a chance at either place to experience the city with the work load.

Wow, good to know about the southwest. People have been telling me it'd probably be best if I go to the places and check them out and see what feels right as far as campuses go, considering I'm from California and all I'm excited to get real seasons ;)

edit: I'm sort of leaning towards Philly because its cheaper to live in and I like the idea that I can start applying during the summer in between the first and second year of the program. I just don't like the idea of having to watch a movie of a lecture ><

Boston I've heard from everyone is a really awesome city to live in so thats what kind of sways me, although I'm betting I wont have much of a chance at either place to experience the city with the work load.

Definitely go visit and see what you think. Hopefully you'll get a feeling about which is a better fit.

Mind you-Boston is cold. Philly gets its fair share of winter, but Boston is very very chilly! I can't imagine moving from Cali all the way to the east coast. The difference is going to be quite a shock!

Hey! Looks like I will be seeing some of you in Philly this Fall :) Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Adios!

Anyone want to PM me their GPA? I have around a 3.1 /28Mcat and wondering if this program would be right for me. Should I do post-bacc first?
Thanks!

hello again!

looks like im officially in philly this fall as well :)

i've got a situation that i need some help with: housing.

what's the deal? it seems thats stiles is full as of right now, and i have been looking for housing within a few blocks at a reasonable price (i dont have a car :( )...

a friend of mine suggested looking near the Queen's Lane campus because there's a regular shuttle...and our main resources are out that way anyway apparently....any ideas?

oh, and the other thing was what the tuition breakdown is for the IMS students....i saw a grand total for the past year, but that's not really helping me determine whether i'll be getting a better deal going off-campus for housing or trying to weasel my way into some form of drexel-donned housing for the upcoming year :(

thank you :)

hello!

sorry to crash your board, but i will be in the msp program this fall and was looking for a roommate - i've been searching in the center city/ chinatown area so if someone else needs an apartment, please PM me!

Last edited:
Hello..I'm kind of crashing too but I was hoping to get some help with housing too. I'm still looking as I barely finalized my decision with them..So would be interested if you looking for a roommate..
By the way..someone started up a facebook page for Drexel MSP and IMS i think..you all should check it out..i think easier to communicate..

so i sent my application for the IMS program and got an interview email. but its weird bc i am having a hard time getting a hold of the office to schedule an interview appointment...did any of you have that problem??

Also, if classes start so quickly and everyone knows where they are living..shoot i am super super late on this!! im starting to freak out...

any suggestions for the interview process? how tough is it? i get kinda nervous in interviews and i sooo want this program...:eek:

so i sent my application for the IMS program and got an interview email. but its weird bc i am having a hard time getting a hold of the office to schedule an interview appointment...did any of you have that problem??

Also, if classes start so quickly and everyone knows where they are living..shoot i am super super late on this!! im starting to freak out...

any suggestions for the interview process? how tough is it? i get kinda nervous in interviews and i sooo want this program...:eek:

I feel your pain regarding being late...I'm still waiting for my final trascript to arrive (holy last minute batman!).

Congratulations to all of you who have already been accepted. I'm hoping that all will work out and I will be one of your future classmates. Best of luck.

I've called about 3 times very early in the morning (~time office opens), and I have always gotten a hold of someone. Sometimes, when I call during the day I get the answering machine, but usually I get a hold of someone later during the day when I call again. Oh, and it might help if you don't make the same mistake I did and just assume it's the answering machine when you call and it immediately directs you to an automated voice recording. (Be sure to press 1!) Um yea...not one of my prouder moments...:cool:

Hmmm.....quite honestly I would be freaking out too if I were in your shoes. Orientation starts on the 6th so it's not a whole lot of time to make living arrangements and all that jazz if you plan on waiting until you get a definite thumbs up on your acceptance. Personally, I would just start arranging everything NOW. Have everything ready so that *as soon as* you hear back, you can set everything in stone immediately.

Lastly, I searched old threads on other people's interview questions and they were VERY helpful. Only got about 1-2 surprise questions. Overall, I just used those questions to prepare, and I did fine (well guessing from my acceptance). And that's because I am TERRIBLE at interviews! But it was extremely laid-back, and my interviewer was really cool (hope you get him). Well best of luck with your interview and let me know if you have any other questions! :luck:

to those of you who have been accepted, where do you plan on living? are you all mostly staying on campus or getting an apartment and if so, what apartments are around the area?

to those of you who have been accepted, where do you plan on living? are you all mostly staying on campus or getting an apartment and if so, what apartments are around the area?

I have all my fingers AND toes crossed on stiles....:D

Official Drexel IMS facebook group is now open!

hey princess bbn,
where did you find the old threads on the IMS interview questions? i searched drexel ims interviews and do not see anything of that sort? :( it hink it would really help calm my nerves if i was able to go thru them...

oh yea, and housing! how is everyone working thru that? if i come (cross fingers) i wont even have a car, or a place for that matter..ahaha wow. so homeless...

hey princess bbn,
where did you find the old threads on the IMS interview questions? i searched drexel ims interviews and do not see anything of that sort? :( it hink it would really help calm my nerves if i was able to go thru them...

oh yea, and housing! how is everyone working thru that? if i come (cross fingers) i wont even have a car, or a place for that matter..ahaha wow. so homeless...

Yea....I had to dig up some ancient posts, but these are some I came across. Hope they help. ;)

What are your career goals?
What made you want to become a doctor?
How would the program benefit you?
What organizations and volunteer services have you done? How do you
feel the organizations have helped you in deciding your career goal?
What are your hobbies?
What is your greatest strength? Weakness?
What kind of medicine are you interested in?
Where do you see the health care system going in the future?

I feel your pain regarding being late...I'm still waiting for my final trascript to arrive (holy last minute batman!).

I'm in the same boat with the lateness and the transcript. Why they need a community college transcript for a US history course I took during junior year of high school is beyond me. I also love how Drexel is so anti-internet. We have to print out applications. Wait for them to mail us status updates. Even the actual med school does everything by mail. Why do they even bother asking for my email address if they're gonna snail mail everything to me anyways?

just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the tuition posted on the website includes housing?

also, how much does it actually cost to live in stiles?

just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the tuition posted on the website includes housing?

Excellent questions. Does anyone have housing at Stiles that needs a rommate(s)?

It looks like I'll have about a weeks notice before school starts if I get into the program so if anyone is still in need of housing, or has housing available, I'll probably be contacting you in desperation. I won't be able to fly out until the day before class starts. I'd be down to sleep on someone's floor for a bit....I can make some mean mexican food and I know you already think people from California are crazy anyways right?

did the interviewer say that they are not going to come up with a decision until a week before classes? or is that just a logical guess?

did the interviewer say that they are not going to come up with a decision until a week before classes? or is that just a logical guess?

Just a guess, perhaps an exaggeration. I can't believe school starts so soon.

1) No.

2) Semester Rate Quarter Rate
1 Bedroom Apartment $4950.00 $3300.00
2 Bedroom Apartment $4185.00 $2790.00
3 Bedroom Apartment $3690.00 $2460.00

On a month-to-month basis, Stiles is probably more expensive than what you could find on your own. But the location can't be beat.