"Official" Duke Waitlist 2005 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bumping from page 5... sorry I have no news. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

I have no news, but I can't believe no one else does. Please post if you got in or heard anything this week. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it me or is this waitlist standing still? Here's to hoping Friday will be the day for us!

If you really want to know, you can call the office and ask if the situation has been reached where the current class is tentatively filled (i.e. they will only take one person off the waitlist if one person withdraws - there is no May 15th gap they need to fill). Apparently this information has been released from Duke in the past when calling the admissions sec.

Scrubz67 said:
Is it me or is this waitlist standing still? Here's to hoping Friday will be the day for us!

Good Luck everyone!!! Keep hope alive. I was waitlisted at 2 other schools my first time applying and this time i got into Duke.. I am soo excited and hope to be able to share my excitement with you guys.. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Don't forget to write update letters, and also maybe see if you can send in another recommendation letter or two, emphasizing how awesome ya'll are and how you should be taken off the waitlist..keep us updated!! :D

Thanks for the encouragement.

Did you get in anywhere last year and just decided you wanted to hold out for another year for a different school? Good job getting into Duke on a reapplication!

LRmed2003 said:
Good Luck everyone!!! Keep hope alive. I was waitlisted at 2 other schools my first time applying and this time i got into Duke.. I am soo excited and hope to be able to share my excitement with you guys.. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Don't forget to write update letters, and also maybe see if you can send in another recommendation letter or two, emphasizing how awesome ya'll are and how you should be taken off the waitlist..keep us updated!! :D

Any news this fine Tuesday? None here...

Here's the news: they're at the one-for-one point. If a person refuses their spot, one opens up. No more May 15th deficit apparently.

Dr. Donkey said:
Here's the news: they're at the one-for-one point. If a person refuses their spot, one opens up. No more May 15th deficit apparently.

Not surprising. How'd you find that out?

Well, at least that helps us gauge our chances of getting off at this point. Thanks for the info Dr. Donkey, I am assuming you got the scoop via Wendy in Admissions? Anyone else feeling slightly deflated at this point???

Scrubz67 said:
Well, at least that helps us gauge our chances of getting off at this point. Thanks for the info Dr. Donkey, I am assuming you got the scoop via Wendy in Admissions? Anyone else feeling slightly deflated at this point???

One word and one number for you guys...
July 8
that is about the day I got in last year...to get to where I was you have to wait another whole month...plus a few more days!!
Hang in there...I know it stinks but you have to believe that will be was supposed to be (well you don't HAVE to believe that, but if I were you I would believe it with all my might because then it doesn't matter what happens...it will be as perfectly perfect as you could have dreamed!)
I hope that since you are waitlisted at Duke that you have already been accepted to other places, so regardless of whether Duke LOSES out on getting you...you will be going to medical school in a few months....and in 4 years it won't matter because you'll be a doctor

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks DukeDoc...i needed that. i think im armouring-up and getting back on the waitlist vigilance horse! i loooove duke!

BUMP from page...who knows! Good luck everyone, this might be our week!

hey folks.... yesterday i got the call from duke that i am in off the waitlist. it was really funny - i couldn't hear the voice mail message - thought it was some weird solicitation because it came from an 800 number. so i call and they answer "admissions" and thats no help. so i ask for wendy and she tells me i am accepted and i am like - "is this duke?" where then she proceeded to *crack* up. heheh.

very shocked surprised. wowser. tough decisions ahead! ;) i never thought i'd get in. hrm.

seethrew:

a) congrats, that's awesome
b) how long do they give you to repond with a yes or no?

thanks.

gdk said:
seethrew:

a) congrats, that's awesome
b) how long do they give you to repond with a yes or no?

thanks.
a) thank you
b) 2 weeks

Send any update letters/additional material, or did you just hang out?

seethrew said:
a) thank you
b) 2 weeks

:clap: CONGRATS Seethrew!!!!! :clap:

Dr. Donkey said:
Send any update letters/additional material, or did you just hang out?
i think i may have sent one update letter during the year to explain my residency... i can't remember if i combined that with an interview thank you or not. when i filled out return card for waitlist i did *not* say that for certain was my first choice. may 16th i sent an update letter with some new info. i don't feel like i tried very hard, honestly i did not think i would get in. :oops: i don't know if this is hang-outish, but i certainly wasn't as aggressive as dukedoc08 was.

thanks Scrubz67! ;)

seethrew said:
i think i may have sent one update letter during the year to explain my residency... i can't remember if i combined that with an interview thank you or not. when i filled out return card for waitlist i did *not* say that for certain was my first choice. may 16th i sent an update letter with some new info. i don't feel like i tried very hard, honestly i did not think i would get in. :oops: i don't know if this is hang-outish, but i certainly wasn't as aggressive as dukedoc08 was.

Congrats seethrew!!
Nope, there is no magic formula to getting in....I stand by my theory that they are molding the class that they want from start to finish... a 54 year old single mom accepted from the beginning decides to go to her state school on a full ride? then she is replaced by the 46 year old Mother of 3 off of the waiting list....
I just wanted to make darn sure that when they went to the list I was their #1 choice for that 54 year old single mom's spot
(not that I'm 46, a mom, have children, or female)
Plus I REAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY wanted to go to Duke and I had nothing to lose by begging...I didn't think they would EVER take me (so the worst that could happen is that I would be too annoying and I don't get in)

DukeDoc08 said:
Congrats seethrew!!
Nope, there is no magic formula to getting in....I stand by my theory that they are molding the class that they want from start to finish... a 54 year old single mom accepted from the beginning decides to go to her state school on a full ride? then she is replaced by the 46 year old Mother of 3 off of the waiting list....
I just wanted to make darn sure that when they went to the list I was their #1 choice for that 54 year old single mom's spot
(not that I'm 46, a mom, have children, or female)
Plus I REAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY wanted to go to Duke and I had nothing to lose by begging...I didn't think they would EVER take me (so the worst that could happen is that I would be too annoying and I don't get in)
thanks!
i definately agree wit your theory.
how was the first year for you? was it hellacious/remarkable/everything you dreamed?

seethrew said:
thanks!
i definately agree wit your theory.
how was the first year for you? was it hellacious/remarkable/everything you dreamed?

hey seethrew, congratulations!!! i haven't checked sdn in a day or two and now here you are with another acceptance - and not just any acceptance, a duke acceptance!!! let us know when you make your big decision on where you are headed in the fall.

clayito said:
hey seethrew, congratulations!!! i haven't checked sdn in a day or two and now here you are with another acceptance - and not just any acceptance, a duke acceptance!!! let us know when you make your big decision on where you are headed in the fall.
thanks dood! i guess you have been following my saga seethrew-a-thon on ecu/unc. :rolleyes:
r u choosing duke over unc? whats the word? pm me if you gets a chance. ;)

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't been on SDN for a while - I tried a couple of times and the site was down or something? Anyway, I have good news! I got the call at about 8:45 AM on Tuesday morning! :D I will wait till I get a financial aid package, but chances are I will be going to Duke! Just for info, I sent in a few letters/updates, so they were well aware of my interest. I am definitely excited!! Good luck to the rest of you waiting!! I know it sucks but hang in there! :luck: :luck: :luck:

CONGRATULATIONS Laelia! :clap:

I'm happy things are working out for people, but I think I'm also getting a little :( that my turn won't ever come...I've sent in letters enough to woo any wayward love...but nothing so far. Perhaps next week is MY week? :confused:

seethrew said:
hey folks.... yesterday i got the call from duke that i am in off the waitlist. it was really funny - i couldn't hear the voice mail message - thought it was some weird solicitation because it came from an 800 number. so i call and they answer "admissions" and thats no help. so i ask for wendy and she tells me i am accepted and i am like - "is this duke?" where then she proceeded to *crack* up. heheh.

very shocked surprised. wowser. tough decisions ahead! ;) i never thought i'd get in. hrm.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay seeeeeeethrewwww!!!!

i'm sooo proud. ya'll will love her if she comes to duke :clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :clap: :clap:

*runs back to unc/ecu thread ;) *

Scrubz67 said:

I'm happy things are working out for people, but I think I'm also getting a little :( that my turn won't ever come...I've sent in letters enough to woo any wayward love...but nothing so far. Perhaps next week is MY week? :confused:

good luck scrubz..i would give you my spot but i didn't apply to duke, i'm just cheering for my girl seethrew. :luck: :luck:

congrats laelia!!!

Scrubz67 said:

i just declined duke today.. perhaps you will be called next!

awww seethrew, I know this must have been a tough decision for you.

I'm hoping this might be my week! (The optimism continues :D ) Much :luck: to you, I know you will be a fabulous doctor anywhere you go.

-Scrubz

seethrew said:
i just declined duke today.. perhaps you will be called next!

Scrubz67 said:
awww seethrew, I know this must have been a tough decision for you.

I'm hoping this might be my week! (The optimism continues :D ) Much :luck: to you, I know you will be a fabulous doctor anywhere you go.

-Scrubz
thanks dood... yes it was quite difficult. i hope it ends up goin to someone who go bananas wit delight!!!

i preciate the good will, likewise scrubz! :luck:

i think it was me. big banana splits over here.

Out of curiosity, and assuming that SeeThrew's spot did go directly to you, Beep, are you female and in state? (I'm just trying to flush out any evidence for the replacing-lost-demographics theory by removing "like" people from the waitlist - especially for Duke).

Dr. Donkey said:
Out of curiosity, and assuming that SeeThrew's spot did go directly to you, Beep, are you female and in state? (I'm just trying to flush out any evidence for the replacing-lost-demographics theory by removing "like" people from the waitlist - especially for Duke).
i was an out of state applicant, but like 5/15 my residency became instate. i dont know how duke categorized me. i am a lil older too, non trad, liberal arts major. ya know - fer evidence. ;)

out of state, female, older nontrad. double major science/social science. conclude what you will...

beep said:
out of state, female, older nontrad. double major science/social science. conclude what you will...

Congrats beep! :thumbup:
Seems like there is a slight method to this maddness in who gets off the list. Are you definitely gonna take it?

I think if I get the call I'm gonna accept on the spot and offer them a puppy. :D (It's the only school that has the research area that I want to do, and I'm research crazy)

Anyone out there still waiting? Are y'all still sending out letters or just being patiently quiet?

Scrubz67 said:
Congrats beep! :thumbup:
Seems like there is a slight method to this maddness in who gets off the list. Are you definitely gonna take it?

I think if I get the call I'm gonna accept on the spot and offer them a puppy. :D (It's the only school that has the research area that I want to do, and I'm research crazy)

Anyone out there still waiting? Are y'all still sending out letters or just being patiently quiet?

Wow - congratulations seethrew and beep!!! I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm still waiting, albeit less than hopefully. I haven't sent in a letter for a while, but I might send one more update for good measure. Good luck Scrubz67 and anyone else still waiting!