This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

interpreter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start this new thread for WAMC even though still early for upcoming match cycle.

I am an AMG in between MS3 and MS4, on research year. I had originally wanted to do derm, but after this year of research, decided that I am more interested in internal medicine. I would like to match into a top 30 residency (according to doximity rankings, whatever that means, but you have to have some ranking system right?). WAMC? Here are my stats:

Med school rank: top 25 school
USMLE Step 1: 220s
USMLE Step 2: 260s
USMLE CS: pass
Class rank: 3rd quartile
AOA: no
Honors: H neuro; HP IM, OBGYN, Psych, Peds; P surgery, family
Research: book chapters, posters
LOR: solid, not necessarily strong

Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I would start this new thread for WAMC even though still early for upcoming match cycle.

I am an AMG in between MS3 and MS4, on research year. I had originally wanted to do derm, but after this year of research, decided that I am more interested in internal medicine. I would like to match into a top 30 residency (according to doximity rankings, whatever that means, but you have to have some ranking system right?). WAMC? Here are my stats:

Thx.

Whether or not your research is related to Derm, get a letter from that person because they can highlight your practical experiences in research methodology, etc. This will count for something. Bonus points if you have publications coming out of this - and if so, get those moving ASAP.

Your Step 2, your Top 25 school (I'm going to have to assume your school is literally #25 unless you imply otherwise, i.e. top 10), and your research are your key strong points.

You need to Honor your Sub-I.

I would put in apps to all the programs your heart desires in the parts of the country you're interested in. You have enough to potentially land at the MGH / Brigham / UCSF / Hopkins / Penn / Duke big kids table.

Practically speaking, I imagine your best bets will be at the next tier - WashU, UWash, Michigan, Columbia, Cornell, UTSW, Vandy, UChicago, NWern, BIDMC, Yale, among others. This group should be your target. Top 25 med school also likely means your home IM program is also great, and possibly on this list already.

Good luck.

Thx.

I agree that your target should be that tier, but IM is so damn competitive at those places now that it's hard to tell who will give out an interview. Don't apply to WashU - their min step 1 requirement is 230 as per FREIDA and you would be screened out. Not having IM honors, low step 1, and low class rank will likely hurt you in the upcoming cycle, but your school's ranking and step 2 score should get you looked at by a decent amount of top 30 places. Do sub-i early and kill it, and also try to get a strong letter out of it. Apply broadly all across the nation, especially to programs near your school and where you are originally from (location has a large effect on who programs believe will rank them highly IMO). If you are really aiming for a "top 30," this list should also include places like UAB, OHSU, UNC, Baylor, BU, Pitt, Brown and maybe throw in places like UVA, Maryland, Colorado, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western just to be safe. Use previous match threads to guide which places you should apply to as reaches vs safeties. Otherwise, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would put in apps to all the programs your heart desires in the parts of the country you're interested in. You have enough to potentially land at the MGH / Brigham / UCSF / Hopkins / Penn / Duke big kids table.

Practically speaking, I imagine your best bets will be at the next tier - WashU, UWash, Michigan, Columbia, Cornell, UTSW, Vandy, UChicago, NWern, BIDMC, Yale, among others. This group should be your target. Top 25 med school also likely means your home IM program is also great, and possibly on this list already.

With third quartile, no IM honors, and that Step 1 score, I would echo to apply to any program you want. I don't think your odds are great for any of the programs in the "top tier" listed, that is assuming you ace your sub-internship. I would adjust my expectations to the programs subjectively just outside of those academic powerhouses that were mentioned in afanrin's post. You never know though, best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
How about places like Mount Sinai, NYU, UCSD? Those are still a tier below the specific ones Deferoxamine mentioned, right?

Thx.

I agree with all posted above and also want to say it really depends on what top 25 you came from. If it was Penn/Hopkins/Harvard then the big 4 are all on the table. If it's the lower end of the top 25 then maybe they are out of range.

Before this thread goes crazy, I would like to offer a few solid tips to everyone here.

1. Look at the match thread for 3 years back. This gives you the best overall range of people's experiences with getting interviews.
2. Talk to alumni at your school, or someone with de-identified stats of past IM applicants and see how they faired in the match process. I found that was the best gauge to see what interviews I would receive.
3. Look at your schools match list. Some programs love themselves students from certain medical schools. Also, your chance at a program may depend on the last resident(s) to train there. If they were allstars then they tend to want more applicants from that school.
4. Dream big and just apply. Worst thing that happens if you get a rejection. It's always worth trying.
5. Sit down with someone at your school early who can give you honest advice about your application and what you can do to be a strong IM applicant.
6. In general, do not do an away rotation unless you have a reach program you really want to be at that you most likely will get screened out otherwise. Three of my friends at my school did away rotations at top IM programs and each matched there. I have also seen some people do away rotations and not get invites. If you chose to do that route, work super hard.
7. Do not be afraid to apply to top programs if you are not from a top school. I am from a state school (not Arkansas) and had a lot of luck with getting interviews this year at strong programs (and am attending one of these programs). If you are a good applicant, they will consider you.
8. If you absolutely have to attend one of these top tier programs, I'd consider taking an extra year to get a masters degree (public health, policy, business etc.) or do a research fellowship such as the NIH or Sarnoff. The extra year, if done right, can make you that much better of an applicant.

Hope this helps someone. Good luck.

How about places like Mount Sinai, NYU, UCSD? Those are still a tier below the specific ones Deferoxamine mentioned, right?

They're a tier below, whatever that means, but the programs you mentioned are in desirable locations making them quite competitive. NYC training is unparalleled in many aspects--if you train there, you can handle practically anything.

I agree that your target should be that tier, but IM is so damn competitive at those places now that it's hard to tell who will give out an interview. Don't apply to WashU - their min step 1 requirement is 230 as per FREIDA and you would be screened out. Not having IM honors, low step 1, and low class rank will likely hurt you in the upcoming cycle, but your school's ranking and step 2 score should get you looked at by a decent amount of top 30 places. Do sub-i early and kill it, and also try to get a strong letter out of it. Apply broadly all across the nation, especially to programs near your school and where you are originally from (location has a large effect on who programs believe will rank them highly IMO). If you are really aiming for a "top 30," this list should also include places like UAB, OHSU, UNC, Baylor, BU, Pitt, Brown and maybe throw in places like UVA, Maryland, Colorado, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western just to be safe. Use previous match threads to guide which places you should apply to as reaches vs safeties. Otherwise, good luck!

Just apply. Apply to WashU if you really want to be there. The filters are fluid and change as the season goes. PDs will apply a filter, see what they get, change it see and what they get then and so on.
Otherwise, I agree with all that. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Just apply. Apply to WashU if you really want to be there. The filters are fluid and change as the season goes. PDs will apply a filter, see what they get, change it see and what they get then and so on.
Otherwise, I agree with all that. Good luck!
Agreed. Had a 229, still got an invite (mentioning to show that its not a hard cut off)

I would like to match into a top 30 residency (according to doximity rankings, whatever that means, but you have to have some ranking system right?).
No, you really don't.

I never bothered to look at that list until just now but, holy hell what a load of horsesh** that thing is.

Reactions: 2 users
I like the NYC area actually. What about Albert Einstein - is the clinical training comparable to the big 4 in the NYC area, just the location and prestige makes it mid-tier? I am trying to come up with some good safeties.

Med school rank: low tier MD
USMLE Step 1: 260s
Class rank: top 10%
AOA: maybe senior
Honors: HP in psych/ob, otherwise H.
Research: Masters in Microbiology w/ thesis, a few poster presentations. none in medical school.

Looking to match in the Midwest/East coast, specifically top programs.

Any hope at Osler/MGH/BWH?

How about UPenn, Yale, Vandy, UVa, UNC, Mayo, WashU, UIC, Loyola, Northwestern, UChicago, U Wisc-Madison, OSU?

Any other programs I should keep my eye out for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Research: Masters in Microbiology w/ thesis, a few poster presentations. none in medical school.

How about UPenn, Yale, Vandy, UVa, UNC, Mayo, WashU, UIC, Loyola, Northwestern, UChicago, U Wisc-Madison, OSU?

Usually from what I saw on my interview days, the people who interviewed at these places coming from lower tier schools not only were in the top 25% of their class with solid board scores, but had something else that made them stand out. This could be research/publications, leadership activities, advanced degrees or other major extracurricular experiences such as global health work. If you have this, then any of these programs are possible. Most of it will also depend on your schools past history at getting people to interview there and how they performed if they were there (or if you came from a top tier undergrad this helps too). You have a decent chance at getting an interview at Osler. MGH likes AOA if from a low tier school, but if you get it then you have a solid chance. Brigham loves applicants with a good amount of research (might be the least likely of the group). Penn can be as hard to get as the other three mentioned. The rest you listed are all fair game and you stand a good chance at interviewing there.

I would add Duke and UTSW if you consider it the Midwest. You should also consider adding Hopkins Bayview (match list is insane and people love it there), Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston and UMich.

Could you all help me out. 3rd year recently made the switch to IM from ENT.

Med school rank: mid-tier
USMLE Step 1: 240s
Class rank: 2nd or 3rd quartile
Grades: mix of P and HP (HP IM)
Research: many posters/presentations and few low-author pubs - all related to ENT

Assuming Step2 of 250+ and H in IM Sub-I, what are my chances to get top 30 type of program? If so, which programs?

Research: many posters/presentations and few low-author pubs - all related to ENT

Assuming Step2 of 250+ and H in IM Sub-I, what are my chances to get top 30 type of program? If so, which programs?
WashU and Mayo are two programs listed pretty high that you'll definitely get an interview with. Not having AOA from a mid tier will hurt at like the big 4, NW, Michigan, Penn, and some others.

There's several programs you won't see in "Top 30" rankings that are just as impressive as most programs listed in there, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice to just base your application on that crap.

Make sure you apply to Uwisc, OHSU, UAB, Iowa, UNC, UVA, depending on location preferences. Was more impressed with them than some mainstay top 30 programs.

You'll match at a very good program, just find the one right for you.

Consider Pitt (UPMC Medical Education)! Just remember that the "top" end or Big 4 or Big-whatever-number are really, really competitive and an interview is just an interview and that name is...a name. You can be like me and have an interview or two at a "top" program and want to run away before the end of the day because you don't like the people/culture/whatever. This does not make you a bad or stupid person for not wanting to be at that "top" program. Apply broadly because there is no shortage of very strong academic IM programs in the eastern part of the US and listen to your gut (not to rankings) when it comes to rank list time.

Reactions: 2 users
USMLE Step 1: 240; USMLE Step 2: TBD; AI IM Grade: TBD
Class rank: First two years: bottom of 2nd quartile; Last two years: 1st or 2nd quartile
AOA: unlikely; GHHS recipient
Honors: H in Peds, FM, and Psych; HP in OB and IM; Surgery and Neuro - tbd
Research: undergrad work (multiple abstract and posters from a top 10 undergrad - paper in the works this month), research work between 1st and 2nd year at a top 20 institution with national conference presentation and abstract
Recs: research rec from top 30 institution, and local recs from school faculty
Extracurrics: heavily involved in school government and volunteer activities

Chances at: southeast programs (vanderbilt, duke, emory, utsw, unc, Wake), midatlantic (jefferson, uva, maryland, hopkins, penn, george washington, georgetown), west coast (stanford, ucsd, ucla, scripps, UW, colorado, utah) ne (boston, tufts, mgh, yale, cornell, sinai, pitt) any suggestions for other schools?

Thanks

Last edited:
USMLE Step 1: 240; USMLE Step 2: TBD; AI IM Grade: TBD
Class rank: First two years: bottom of 2nd quartile; Last two years: 1st or 2nd quartile
AOA: unlikely; GHHS recipient
Honors: H in Peds, FM, and Psych; HP in OB and IM; Surgery and Neuro - tbd
Research: undergrad work (multiple abstract and posters from a top 10 undergrad - paper in the works this month), research work between 1st and 2nd year at a top 20 institution with national conference presentation and abstract
Recs: research rec from top 30 institution, and local recs from school faculty
Extracurrics: heavily involved in school government and volunteer activities

Chances at: southeast programs (vanderbilt, duke, emory, utsw, unc, Wake), midatlantic (jefferson, uva, maryland, hopkins, penn, george washington, georgetown), west coast (stanford, ucsd, ucla, scripps, UW, colorado, utah) ne (boston, tufts, mgh, yale, cornell, sinai, pitt) any suggestions for other schools?

Thanks

You've done well, the HP and low-tier med school may keep you out of some of those programs (mgh/hopkins/duke/penn etc), but you've got a great shot at some of the others. I like to play it safe, and would add some 1-2 more "lower mid/lower programs" in some region you'd like. I'd also add BIDMC if you're ok with Boston.

Biggest clue as to your chances will be where your school has match people in years past. It matters.

Med school rank: low tier MD school
Step 1: 230
Step 2 ck: 250
AOA: more than likely no
1-2 yr grades: all P
3rd yr grades: H fam med, obgyn, psych, medicine, neuro HP surgery and pediatrics
Research: couple of posters
LOR: pretty good

i know not much to go on but i have no clue where i should even apply

how are my chances at say...BU, UConn, Vermont, UMass, Tufts, Brown, and Dartmouth
I would guess you'd get interviews from all of them, especially if you're from the Northeast. Maybe BU 50/50, but I'd imagine you'll get most of those interviews. I'd check out Maine too if you want to be in that area.

Med school rank: low tier MD school
Step 1: 230
Step 2 ck: 250
AOA: more than likely no
1-2 yr grades: all P
3rd yr grades: H fam med, obgyn, psych, medicine, neuro HP surgery and pediatrics
Research: couple of posters
LOR: pretty good

i know not much to go on but i have no clue where i should even apply

how are my chances at say...BU, UConn, Vermont, UMass, Tufts, Brown, and Dartmouth

That's a lot of H in 3rd year, and unless 75% of your class is getting H it is going to help you tremendously. If I were recruiting I would take the progression of P in years 1-2 to H in 3rd year over the opposite any day of the week. To me this demonstrates excellent social skills in the workplace, strong work ethic, and/or finally figuring out the style of learning and working that works for you... not a bad trend.

You seem to be shopping in the Northeast. Your chances are good to great at all the places you listed. Would throw in the equal footing programs of URochester and Einstein (Monte), and would recommend taking a gamble at places like BIDMC, Yale, Cornell, Mount Sinai, NYU, and Pitt to see if you'll get an interview - you may be surprised.

My school might be considered low-mid tier now that I think about it. Midwest ties only, is this list appropriate (which to cross out from east and west based on competetiveness; need to narrow down to 30ish due to $):

West: UCSD, UCD, UCI, USC, Colorado, OHSU, Utah
Midwest: Mich, NU, WashU, Chicago, Mayo, Baylor, IU, Iowa, Minnesota, Rush, Loyola, Wisconsin, UIC, OhioSt, Clevalnd Clin, CWRU, Cincy
NE: NYU, Pitt, MSSM, Tufts, BU, Dartmouth, Brown, Rochester, Jefferson, Temple, Penn St
SE: Emory, UNC, UVA, Gtown, GW, UF, Miami, Maryland, VCU, Wake

My school might be considered low-mid tier now that I think about it. Midwest ties only, is this list appropriate (which to cross out from east and west based on competetiveness; need to narrow down to 30ish due to $):

West: UCSD, UCD, UCI, USC, Colorado, OHSU, Utah
Midwest: Mich, NU, WashU, Chicago, Mayo, Baylor, IU, Iowa, Minnesota, Rush, Loyola, Wisconsin, UIC, OhioSt, Clevalnd Clin, CWRU, Cincy
NE: NYU, Pitt, MSSM, Tufts, BU, Dartmouth, Brown, Rochester, Jefferson, Temple, Penn St
SE: Emory, UNC, UVA, Gtown, GW, UF, Miami, Maryland, VCU, Wake
You have a solid (not stellar, but very solid) app. If you need to clear about 1/3 of these programs you could take 3 different routes:
1. Ditch an entire region or two. You clearly have a midwest focus. Pick one of the other 3 regions and ditch the rest. This will be the easiest and potentially cheapest (when it comes to interview travel) way to go.
2. Drop 10-15 programs from either the high or low end of the spectrum. The limits on the high and low end are variable of course.
3. Cherry pick - In this case, I'd drop UCD and UCI, Michigan, NU, WashU, CCF, Cincy, GT, GW, UF, Miami, Tufts, Temple and Penn State. There's nothing "wrong" with any of these programs but your chances at the "top end" of this list are low and you have better options that you're likely to get IVs from at the other end.

If you had the cash for 50 apps (or the need for that many, which you don't), it would be hard to argue with your list overall.

Will come back with more stats closer to the actual cycle :)

Last edited:
Throwing my hat in the ring, and I promise to post in the 2016 IM Match results :D

Med school rank: Top 50 (code word for 40-50 lol)
USMLE Step 1: 243
USMLE Step 2: Not taken yet, will take in August
USMLE CS: Not taken yet
Class rank: top third, unsure whether top quartile
AOA: Highly unlikely
Honors: Honors Surg, Peds, Neuro, FM, Pyshc; HP in IM (first rotation) and P in OBGYN (last rotation, will be contesting grade but 99.99% chance the grade will not get changed)
Research: None; my interest is teaching and I have a ton of experience before med school and some during
LOR: Two are very strong, awaiting to do subI to get last letter

My dean had said I have a reasonable shot at top 10, but this was when my OBGYN grade had not come out and I had a trend of all honors after my first rotation, so I am not really sure where I stand right now with a HP in IM and a P in OBGYN with fairly negative comments. Stats as they are, what are good places to apply?
This isn't the type of application that lands you at a "top 10" program, especially with zero interest in research. Come up with a list of programs so we have something specific to comment on.

This isn't the type of application that lands you at a "top 10" program, especially with zero interest in research. Come up with a list of programs so we have something specific to comment on.

Good point. I didn't say I believed him, he just said he thought it was reasonable. I have been around SDN long enough to know there are too many outstanding applicants in the pool to actually have a decent shot. I don't currently have a list, so will come back with more stats and an actual list closer to the admissions cycle :)

Hey guys I am an IMG student looking to apply this year

Step1: 210
Step 2 CK: 229
Step 2 CS Pending
All passed on 1st attempt

Class Rank: top 25%
No research, no red flags
2 year USCE
U.S Citizen however US IMG
Year of graduation 2016

I have 3 LORS from Family Medicine and 3 LORS from Internal Medicine all from U.S doctors
I got a High Pass in Family medicine and Pass In internal medicine rotation

I dont care where I get matched. Could be university, commmunity etc

What are my chances?

Last edited:
Tough call. Depends on where you apply. Step scores are a bit low and I think they matter more because you are an IMG. Also, not honoring medicine might also hurt your chances given your lower step scores. I would apply broadly (consider less desirable areas of the country if you want to increase your chances at matching), consider doing an away rotation or two at a hospital you would really want to attend to show them what you are made of. I would say your chances for IM are 50/50 and will depend on the other stuff you bring to the table (research, past life experiences, extracurricular activities, possibly a great personal statement or LOR).

Grappling between med and med/peds.

Med school rank: Low tier midwest

USMLE Step 1: 248
USMLE Step 2: Not taken
USMLE CS: Not taken

Class rank: 2nd quartile

Clinicals: H: Surgery, Medicine, Psych ; HP: EM, Neuro, OB, Peds, Family not yet done
Research: 2 papers in cardiology from 3 years of research prior to medical school (not in top 3 authors), 3 posters (First/co-first author), possibly more papers within the next six months (In derm, as I was considering it at some point, and ID).
LORs: In the words of my recommenders, "Glowing" and "Stellar," but who knows?

I'm aiming for the strongest academic programs possible, but I recognize that I'm unlikely to end up at BWH/MGH/UCSF/UPenn, though I sort of understand the algorithm and that I should still put in an application if I'm interested because it's possible, though highly improbable. I also understand that I'm likely to match at a great program; I just need some thoughts about lists and how many programs to apply to as I'm not necessarily trusting of the ability of my school to advise me. I'm also couples matching with an absolutely stellar peds applicant, so I want to make sure I don't shoot him in the foot by applying to too few programs as well.

I also have Step 2 scheduled for later as I think a bad score is more likely to shoot me in the foot than a great one will help, but I'd love advice on that.

So as far as apps:

Top 30 (with the exception of a few schools in the south that I don't think would be great for a gay couple)

UCSD
BU
Jefferson
USC
OHSU
Mount Sinai
Brown
Temple

And honestly, I don't know where else I should put in an application. Any thoughts?

Grappling between med and med/peds.

Med school rank: Low tier midwest

USMLE Step 1: 248
USMLE Step 2: Not taken
USMLE CS: Not taken

Clinicals: H: Surgery, Medicine, Psych ; HP: EM, Neuro, OB, Peds, Family not yet done
Research: 2 papers in cardiology from 3 years of research prior to medical school (not in top 3 authors), 3 posters (First/co-first author), possibly more papers within the next six months (In derm, as I was considering it at some point, and ID).
LORs: In the words of my recommenders, "Glowing" and "Stellar," but who knows?

I'm aiming for the strongest academic programs possible, but I recognize that I'm unlikely to end up at BWH/MGH/UCSF/UPenn, though I sort of understand the algorithm and that I should still put in an application if I'm interested because it's possible, though highly improbable. I also understand that I'm likely to match at a great program; I just need some thoughts about lists and how many programs to apply to as I'm not necessarily trusting of the ability of my school to advise me. I'm also couples matching with an absolutely stellar peds applicant, so I want to make sure I don't shoot him in the foot by applying to too few programs as well.

I also have Step 2 scheduled for later as I think a bad score is more likely to shoot me in the foot than a great one will help, but I'd love advice on that.

So as far as apps:

Top 30 (with the exception of a few schools in the south that I don't think would be great for a gay couple)

UCSD
BU
Jefferson
USC
OHSU
Mount Sinai
Brown
Temple

And honestly, I don't know where else I should put in an application. Any thoughts?

It seems like you have a pretty solid application. Honors in IM and lots of research will definitely help, while your school's rep and no AOA may hold you back from the top 10/15 (but you really never know!). If you were getting over >60/70%iles on your shelf exams, I'd say it is worth taking step 2 early as a strong score can definitely help (based on your step 1 score there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get a 250+, it's curved easier IMO). Do Sub-I early and rock it, many applicants will have this on their app so you would missing out on another chance to shine and getting a strong letter out of it can't hurt either.

Your list seems good but couples matching can be tricky. As you said, the south may be a bit more conservative and you may have better chances with your partner in the West, Midwest, and NE. If you want to go to a solid academic program (in a more liberal area), then I'd personally add UW-Madison, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Dartmouth, Colorado, Pitt, Rush, Loyola, OSU, Monte/Einstein, Tufts to be safe - that list is not exhaustive, but you are definitely competitive for most (if not all) of those places. Cedars/Bayview aren't academic but still give you a great shot for fellowship, if that is your goal. It's better to have more options to pick from as the interviews come in, then to panic after applying to too few.

I was openly gay while applying, so feel free to PM if you have questions about my experience. Otherwise, good luck to you and your partner! :D

Med school rank: Top 50
USMLE Step 1: 257 (Step 2 CK planned for fall)
AOA: not released yet
Honors: Honors in all third year clerkships
Research: Lots of research experiences from undergrad and med school; not a lot to show for it publication wise unfortunately. 1 peer reviewed abstract with national conference presentation (in different specialty), 4 poster presentations at local conferences (from undergrad and med school). Won a small grant/fellowship for my research in med school. Hoping to get 1 first author pub and a case report or two out the door before submission time, but its all uncertain right now.
Recommendations: From school faculty; should be good
Extracurriculars: Ran the school's local free clinic for 1.5 years, some science outreach. Nothing earth shattering.

I'm new to the medicine career track and am trying to calibrate my expectations. I'd like to end up in the Northeast, but I have no real commitments and can go wherever. I know the top programs (MGH, Brigham, UCSF, Hopkins, Penn) are a crapshoot for anyone, but I wonder how much my lack of pedigree and lack of publications hurts me at those places? Where do I stand with regards to other highly ranked programs (I'm looking at places like Yale, BIDMC, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Mt Sinai, NYU)? Any advice on where to start in terms of fleshing out the list with safer programs?

Grateful for any morsels of advice.

-B

You stand a chance at getting every IM interview if you are in the top quartile of your class (and should be since you honored all your 3rd year rotations). The most difficult one for you to get is Brigham because they love themselves research/well published applicants and usually only match people to their program from top 15 schools. MGH I feel used AOA as a screen for most schools so if you get that then you should receive that interview. I think if you do not bomb CK, you should get Penn, Hopkins, Duke and UCSF (tend to be less interested in pedigree at these 4 compared to others).

The other programs you listed are all luck of the draw. Make sure you stress your interest in medicine, especially academic stuff, in your personal statement and you should be set. Each program wants "leaders in medicine" but their definition of that varies slightly and will be the reason why you get some interviews over others.

Safer northeast programs for you would be BU, Tufts, Brown, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Rochester, Hopkins Bayview, and Pitt. I would consider Einstein programs if you want NYC training. I would also add Virginia, UNC chapel hill and maybe even Vanderbilt (though pretty south, an excellent program that people love).

Last edited:
Hard to believe my time has come.

Med school rank: 40s
Step 1: 233 (taken 5 years ago, not sure if this factors in at all)
Step 2: In August
AOA: doubt it
Year 1/2: Top 20%
Year 3: H - Med, OB, Med electives (oncology, BMT); HP - Surg, Psych, Peds (all great evals, mediocre shelf scores); Med Sub-I and EM will be this summer
Research: MD/PhD, 3 pubs in respected (but not C/N/S) basic science journals (1 first author), 1 first author pub in review, NIH and internal fellowships, some awards/abstracts/posters/etc
Recs: Should be good, one from onc division chief
Extracurriculars: volunteer/leadership positions at free clinic, some science outreach, minimal teaching, not much otherwise

Trying to make a reasonable list of 15ish schools where I'd be competitive and that would set up well for an academic heme/onc fellowship. Short track preferred but not completely necessary. I don't really want to spend a fortune on applications and interviews, but I'm finding it hard to gauge my competitiveness, particularly since IM seems to have gotten more cutthroat and board scores have gone up so much since my class matched 3+ years ago. I realize the big 4 are probably not happening, but I'd like to know my chances for Penn, Columbia, etc and get some help narrowing the list. Geographically, maybe have a very slight preference for west coast, but pretty open to most places apart from the south.

Working list -
East: MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, BID, Yale, Sinai, NYU
West: UCSF, UCSD, Davis, UCLA, Stanford, UWash, OHSU, Colorado, Utah
Middle: UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, Mayo, Michigan, Pittsburgh, MN, WI, Iowa
South: Vandy, Duke, UTSW maybe?

Hard to believe my time has come.

Med school rank: 40s
Step 1: 233 (taken 5 years ago, not sure if this factors in at all)
Step 2: In August
AOA: doubt it
Year 3: H - Med, OB, Med electives (oncology, BMT); HP - Surg, Psych, Peds (all great evals, mediocre shelf scores); Med Sub-I and EM will be this summer
Research: MD/PhD, 3 pubs in respected (but not C/N/S) basic science journals (1 first author), 1 first author pub in review, NIH and internal fellowships, some awards/abstracts/posters/etc
Recs: Should be good, one from onc division chief
Extracurriculars: volunteer/leadership positions at free clinic, some science outreach, minimal teaching, not much otherwise

Trying to make a reasonable list of 15ish schools where I'd be competitive and that would set up well for an academic heme/onc fellowship. Short track preferred but not completely necessary. I don't really want to spend a fortune on applications and interviews, but I'm finding it hard to gauge my competitiveness, particularly since IM seems to have gotten more cutthroat and board scores have gone up so much since my class matched 3+ years ago. I realize the big 4 are probably not happening, but I'd like to know my chances for Penn, Columbia, etc and get some help narrowing the list. Geographically, maybe have a very slight preference for west coast, but pretty open to most places apart from the south.

Working list -
East: MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, BID, Yale, Sinai, NYU
West: UCSF, UCSD, Davis, UCLA, Stanford, UWash, OHSU, Colorado, Utah
Middle: UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, Mayo, Michigan, Pittsburgh, MN, WI, Iowa
South: Vandy, Duke, UTSW maybe?

To be honest, you could go any way. Being a double doctor (MD/PhD) helps a ton, but given your step/clerkship performance your class ranking may hurt you a bit. If I were you going for heme/onc, I would apply to probably 20 of those programs. Penn should 100% be one of them (best heme/onc training of all residency programs IMO) maybe Cornell too given their proximity to Sloan. Hopkins loves MD/PHDs so it's worth a shot and Brigham loves people who are research heavy. I would apply to maybe 5 extreme safeties, 5 reaches (big 4 and Penn) and then 10 strong programs from that list (such as Vandy, Cornell, Yale etc.) wait and see where you rank to adjust where you apply to be honest.

Would greatly appreciate anyone's comment/suggestions. So I graduated from 2014 and matched to a categorical gen surg program (community program in midwest). After one year decide to quit due to various reasons. Performed well for internship year and has no problems with program whatsoever. In addition, I am an international american school graduate. Still on a visa currently, open to any future visa options.

Med school rank: 40s Midwest MD school
Step 1: 241
Step 2: 250
Step 3: 231
AOA: No
Year 3: H - medicine subI, surgery; HP - medicine, Peds (all great evals, mediocre shelf scores), neuro; EM; Pass: psych
Research: one published second author, one second author from medical school submitted for review; one national conference abstract first author and presentation.
Recs: Should be good, two from current surgery program, one from well known cardiologist at medical school, one from medical school IM chairman.
Extracurriculars: volunteer/leadership positions at free clinic, some teaching, not much otherwise

I will be applying to a lot programs (probably ~100+) . Just hoping getting into any university-based academic programs.

Med school: Midwest DO school
Step1/COMLEX: 247/690+
Step2/COMLEX: TBD (taking this summer)
AOA: no applicable
Clinicals: (use As,Bs...et.) equivalent of HP Surgery, Honors in OB,Peds, Family, Psych, IM
Research:bench research between M1-2 with Abstract and poster presentation, no pubs
LOR: solid, nothing great, hoping to get IM letter(s) this summer from academic center
ECs: minimal teaching experience, stayed peripherally involved with a unique pre med school activity

Looking to apply on the East Coast/New England area for SO, preferably university programs. I've looked at resident rosters to get an idea of places that have taken DOs in the past but thinking of applying to highly competitive programs as well.
Any chance at MGH, BWH, BU, UMass, Tufts, Baystate, Brown, Maine Med, Dartmouth,UConn, Vermont,Hopkins, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, BID, Yale, Sinai, NYU...etc?
Any thoughts are much appreciated. Best of luck everyone!

Looking to apply on the East Coast/New England area for SO, preferably university programs. I've looked at resident rosters to get an idea of places that have taken DOs in the past but thinking of applying to highly competitive programs as well.
Any chance at MGH, BWH, BU, UMass, Tufts, Baystate, Brown, Maine Med, Dartmouth,UConn, Vermont,Hopkins, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, BID, Yale, Sinai, NYU...etc?

Have you actually looked at resident rosters? Doesn't sound like it from the list you just gave. Half of those places would likely be out of reach if you were a US MD with those stats.

The only places off that list that would potentially consider your application are: UMass, Brown(?), Maine Med, Dartmouth(?), UConn, Vermont.

Thanks for the feedback MT, I agree with the list you gave and I know most of those programs are likely out of reach but I've also had trouble finding detailed rosters for several of those programs. Cheers

Clinicals: (use As,Bs...et.) equivalent of HP Surgery, Honors in OB,Peds, Family, Psych, IM
Research:bench research between M1-2 with Abstract and poster presentation, no pubs
LOR: solid, nothing great, hoping to get IM letter(s) this summer from academic center
ECs: minimal teaching experience, stayed peripherally involved with a unique pre med school activity

Strongly agree with MeatTornado. The top programs, in general, do not accept DO students, especially if they do not walk on water and have essentially a perfect application. To my knowledge, there is one DO at Penn, but they came from the school that was within the city. I do not want to be too harsh, but most of the applicants I saw on the interview trail applying to top 20 programs were top quartile, either from top med schools or top applicants at average medical schools and had some significant research/another degree/extracurricular activities.

Id say this is a more realistic list: (I would look at both primary care and categorical programs)
BU(reach), UMass, Tufts (reach), Baystate, Brown(reach), Maine Med, Dartmouth,UConn, Vermont, Drexel, temple, umdnj programs, Christiana(in Delaware), Sinai in Baltimore (Hopkins affiliate), Stamford hospital (Columbia affiliate), other CT hospitals affiliated with smaller hospitals (Greenwich Hospital, etc), maybe Mount Auburn in Mass (Harvard affiliate), all the different Einstein programs (monte, Longisland Jewish, etc.) downstate, Syracuse and maybe I'd say Lahey Clinic.

Hope that helps.

Strongly agree with MeatTornado. The top programs, in general, do not accept DO students, especially if they do not walk on water and have essentially a perfect application. To my knowledge, there is one DO at Penn, but they came from the school that was within the city. I do not want to be too harsh, but most of the applicants I saw on the interview trail applying to top 20 programs were top quartile, either from top med schools or top applicants at average medical schools and had some significant research/another degree/extracurricular activities.

Id say this is a more realistic list: (I would look at both primary care and categorical programs)
BU(reach), UMass, Tufts (reach), Baystate, Brown(reach), Maine Med, Dartmouth,UConn, Vermont, Drexel, temple, umdnj programs, Christiana(in Delaware), Sinai in Baltimore (Hopkins affiliate), Stamford hospital (Columbia affiliate), other CT hospitals affiliated with smaller hospitals (Greenwich Hospital, etc), maybe Mount Auburn in Mass (Harvard affiliate), all the different Einstein programs (monte, Longisland Jewish, etc.) downstate, Syracuse and maybe I'd say Lahey Clinic.

Hope that helps.

That's a MUCH more reasonable list except BU and Monte don't consider DOs, quite sure tufts doesn't either.

Thanks again for the input MT and Arkansas, I will definatley look into those programs. I'd much rather have a realistic starting point. It's great to have some objective input. I didn't interpret the comments as harsh in the least. Was late in deciding upon IM, hence my lack of insight.

Med school rank: Top 50
USMLE Step 1: 257 (Step 2 CK planned for fall)
AOA: not released yet
Honors: Honors in all third year clerkships
Research: Lots of research experiences from undergrad and med school; not a lot to show for it publication wise unfortunately. 1 peer reviewed abstract with national conference presentation (in different specialty), 4 poster presentations at local conferences (from undergrad and med school). Won a small grant/fellowship for my research in med school. Hoping to get 1 first author pub and a case report or two out the door before submission time, but its all uncertain right now.
Recommendations: From school faculty; should be good
Extracurriculars: Ran the school's local free clinic for 1.5 years, some science outreach. Nothing earth shattering.

I'm new to the medicine career track and am trying to calibrate my expectations. I'd like to end up in the Northeast, but I have no real commitments and can go wherever. I know the top programs (MGH, Brigham, UCSF, Hopkins, Penn) are a crapshoot for anyone, but I wonder how much my lack of pedigree and lack of publications hurts me at those places? Where do I stand with regards to other highly ranked programs (I'm looking at places like Yale, BIDMC, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Mt Sinai, NYU)? Any advice on where to start in terms of fleshing out the list with safer programs?

Grateful for any morsels of advice.

-B

With regard to one of your questions about how much not having publications will hurt you at MGH, the brigham, Hopkins, penn and duke- it will hurt a lot. You need to get that first author pub through and accepted- or at least submitted by the time interviews come around.

Academically, you are a strong candidate. You have a good shot at pretty much any of those places if your publications come through. However I would add another safety or two. Your home school should be one and then another should be a local, mid-tier university program. Don't apply to too many (perhaps 3 safeties) because you don't want to waste too much time on safety interviews.

Hope that helps.

That DO is also in the primary care tract if I remember correctly which is of a different degree of competitiveness than categorical spots.

No chance at MGH, the brigham, Hopkins, columbia... Not even worth applying.
I think Yale, sinai, Cornell, BIDMC are going to be very tough as well. Most of the MD applicatnts have your academic credentials or better (usually top quartile). Furthermore you have no publications which is going to be a sticking point.

The others are worth applying to if they take DOs. Look through resident rosters, if they don;'t have DOs and don't expressly state they don't take DOs, it may be worth you wild to contact the PD and ask if they take DOs. .

Would greatly appreciate anyone's comment/suggestions. So I graduated from 2014 and matched to a categorical gen surg program (community program in midwest). After one year decide to quit due to various reasons. Performed well for internship year and has no problems with program whatsoever. In addition, I am an international american school graduate. Still on a visa currently, open to any future visa options.

Med school rank: 40s Midwest MD school
Step 1: 241
Step 2: 250
Step 3: 231
AOA: No
Year 3: H - medicine subI, surgery; HP - medicine, Peds (all great evals, mediocre shelf scores), neuro; EM; Pass: psych
Research: one published second author, one second author from medical school submitted for review; one national conference abstract first author and presentation.
Recs: Should be good, two from current surgery program, one from well known cardiologist at medical school, one from medical school IM chairman.
Extracurriculars: volunteer/leadership positions at free clinic, some teaching, not much otherwise

I will be applying to a lot programs (probably ~100+) . Just hoping getting into any university-based academic programs.

First, why did you only match at a community midwest program for general surgery? Was it your preference or were you looked over at a lot of other programs? The reason why I ask is to figure out if there are some red flags on your app or if you don't interview well.

Second, quiting one residency is going to be a red flag. Is your former PD supportive? Because if he is not, you're hosed. You say quit but did you quit or were you let go? Academic probation? Any citations/demerits on your record?

Finally, you need to have a convincing reason why you left and why you want IM and won't wash out.

Quite frankly there are so many unknowns, it is tough to tell where you'd end up. Were you a great interviewer, you could have possibly matched at a very strong, just below top tier IM program initially. However, with leaving a residency program if things don't look good (unsupportive PD, medicore letters, let go instead of quit or were on academic probation) you could even not match with very good academic credentials.

Your plan of applying broadly is a good one. I'd make sure to discuss why you left surgery in your personal statement and show you won't leave IM. Make sure to have a lot of people read it to make sure it isn't whiny and won't turn people off.

Finally, I'm going to guess (without anything to substantiate it, sorry if I'm wrong) that you may have had some problems with the lifestyle in GS. Make sure you apply to places that won't re-create the atmosphere in an IM program. I went to a residency program in IM that was worse in terms of hours than many of my surgical colleagues.

Good luck

First, why did you only match at a community midwest program for general surgery? Was it your preference or were you looked over at a lot of other programs? The reason why I ask is to figure out if there are some red flags on your app or if you don't interview well.

Second, quiting one residency is going to be a red flag. Is your former PD supportive? Because if he is not, you're hosed. You say quit but did you quit or were you let go? Academic probation? Any citations/demerits on your record?

Finally, you need to have a convincing reason why you left and why you want IM and won't wash out.

Quite frankly there are so many unknowns, it is tough to tell where you'd end up. Were you a great interviewer, you could have possibly matched at a very strong, just below top tier IM program initially. However, with leaving a residency program if things don't look good (unsupportive PD, medicore letters, let go instead of quit or were on academic probation) you could even not match with very good academic credentials.

Your plan of applying broadly is a good one. I'd make sure to discuss why you left surgery in your personal statement and show you won't leave IM. Make sure to have a lot of people read it to make sure it isn't whiny and won't turn people off.

Finally, I'm going to guess (without anything to substantiate it, sorry if I'm wrong) that you may have had some problems with the lifestyle in GS. Make sure you apply to places that won't re-create the atmosphere in an IM program. I went to a residency program in IM that was worse in terms of hours than many of my surgical colleagues.

Good luck

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate your input/the questions you brought up.

1 I did personally quit from my current program. The most important issue for quitting after this year, as you alluded to in your post, is because I find surgery lifestyle too demanding for myself. Outside of surgery, I have a lot of hobbies and a big family. I fee like I have sacrificed too much for surgery that I have to give up almost everything else in my life. And I don't think it worth it. In addition, as much as I consider myself a hard-worker and willing to work, I really don't enjoy the acuity of patients involved in this specialty. Over the past year, I found myself more hesitant about going to OR as I am always nervous about making mistakes on highly acute patients. I don't function well (I feel like myself "freeze up"/unable to think) in situations like trauma or taking care of acute patient consult. Lastly, over the past year, I came to realize that I myself has a personality that does not fit well with surgeons. I am too shy and sometimes too conservative compared to most of my colleagues.

2. This is pretty much an anonymous forum so there is no point for me to hide anything from anyone on here. I definitely don't have any problem with my current program. I will have no program getting letters of recommendation from 2-3 attendings that know me really well from this internship year. It is fair to say that most attendings in this program do not know me very well as I am just a "lowly" intern on the service. However, I was never on any probation status. The program director told me in person that he would like me to stay but he will respect my choice at this point.

3. I am not sure how you would define a supportive program director. As I mentioned previously, I don't really think my current program director know me very well as I was only on his service for 2 weeks. I am sure he will write me a good letter of recommendation. However, other than that, I don't think he will voluntarily make calls for me next year during match season. Will this be a redflag?

4. In fact, I am one of those medical students who loved both surgery and medicine. Last year, I actually applied to both IM and surgery. I was able to get many decent IM interviews at major academic univeristies. However, I was naive enough at that point and thought myself liked surgery more. So I ranked all my surgery programs higher on the match list (unfortunately, my surgery interviews were mostly at lower tier community programs.)

Again, please feel free to comment or provide any suggestions for me at this point. I appreciate any input from anyone on this forum.

That DO is also in the primary care tract if I remember correctly which is of a different degree of competitiveness than categorical spots.

I think it is quite nice. I have a lot of DO friends that feel very limited when applying. It's good to see that anyone, if they are good enough, can make it if they are willing to take a chance. I also think that though probably slightly less competitive to match, most of the applicants at the primary care programs are as qualified as their categorical counterparts. This is especially true at the top 10ish programs.

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate your input/the questions you brought up.

1 I did personally quit from my current program. The most important issue for quitting after this year, as you alluded to in your post, is because I find surgery lifestyle too demanding for myself. Outside of surgery, I have a lot of hobbies and a big family. I fee like I have sacrificed too much for surgery that I have to give up almost everything else in my life. And I don't think it worth it. In addition, as much as I consider myself a hard-worker and willing to work, I really don't enjoy the acuity of patients involved in this specialty. Over the past year, I found myself more hesitant about going to OR as I am always nervous about making mistakes on highly acute patients. I don't function well (I feel like myself "freeze up"/unable to think) in situations like trauma or taking care of acute patient consult. Lastly, over the past year, I came to realize that I myself has a personality that does not fit well with surgeons. I am too shy and sometimes too conservative compared to most of my colleagues.

2. This is pretty much an anonymous forum so there is no point for me to hide anything from anyone on here. I definitely don't have any problem with my current program. I will have no program getting letters of recommendation from 2-3 attendings that know me really well from this internship year. It is fair to say that most attendings in this program do not know me very well as I am just a "lowly" intern on the service. However, I was never on any probation status. The program director told me in person that he would like me to stay but he will respect my choice at this point.

3. I am not sure how you would define a supportive program director. As I mentioned previously, I don't really think my current program director know me very well as I was only on his service for 2 weeks. I am sure he will write me a good letter of recommendation. However, other than that, I don't think he will voluntarily make calls for me next year during match season. Will this be a redflag?

4. In fact, I am one of those medical students who loved both surgery and medicine. Last year, I actually applied to both IM and surgery. I was able to get many decent IM interviews at major academic univeristies. However, I was naive enough at that point and thought myself liked surgery more. So I ranked all my surgery programs higher on the match list (unfortunately, my surgery interviews were mostly at lower tier community programs.)

Again, please feel free to comment or provide any suggestions for me at this point. I appreciate any input from anyone on this forum.

This sounds promising. You getting only community program interviews for surgery is a bit of a red flag but everything you say about your intern experience is reassuring. You should be able to match a very solid mid university program (perhaps even upper mid-tier). Still, apply broadly

I think it is quite nice. I have a lot of DO friends that feel very limited when applying. It's good to see that anyone, if they are good enough, can make it if they are willing to take a chance. I also think that though probably slightly less competitive to match, most of the applicants at the primary care programs are as qualified as their categorical counterparts. This is especially true at the top 10ish programs.

No, actually there is a big difference at the top in these auxillary programs (primary care, urban health and the like). However I agree it is nice to see DOs break into a decently named program

Reactions: 1 users
low-tier med school, step score 235+, no publications, middle of my class, and mix of H/HP for 3rd year rotations, what are examples of programs I should look at?

Last edited: