This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! Im a US Citizen, non Carrib, with a pass/250. I have 8 pubs and 3 stellar LORs from Ohio, Penn, and NJ. I'll be applying to Internal Medicine this cycle. I graduated last month.

I wanted to send a gold signal to Sinai Morningside, SUNY downstate, and Zucker Lenox hill. I have very strong ties to the area, fam/friends and 4 months of volunteer work in NYC. Ive looked through all the resident lists, and Sinai takes 28% IMGs, Suny 70%, and Lenox hill 16%ish.
However, Im aware that these are massive programs that get over 7000 applicants per year, many with better stats than mine.

Could anyone let me know if I'm being unrealistic with these? I know IMGs in general should stick to community programs but I thought Id give these a shot?
 
Hello, I would appreciate input on my chances at a IM Bay Area program as well as help with signaling. It is my understanding that it is a very competitive area, and I would like to know if I should be looking into signaling other programs in southern CA / OR if my application is not competitive enough.

Med School: Unranked CA MD

M1-M2 grades: All pass

M3 grades:
Honors: IM, peds, psych, neuro, EM
High Pass: OBGYN, Surgery, FM

M4 grades: (P/F) Sub-I P, MICU P

Class rank: top quartile

Step 1: Pass

Step 2: 259

AOA: not offered

GHHS: not offered

Demographics: ORM, first in family to achieve this level of education

Research: 1 poster (not the one who presented, 1 abstract

Extracurriculars: board member of several clubs, some teaching in simulation labs. Nothing too exciting.

LORs: 1 IM letter from PD during M3 rotation, 1 Chair letter, 1 letter from sub-I, 1 from MICU

Geographic Signaling: Pacific

Red flags: none

Plan is to be a hospitalist, but I would like to keep the door open for PCCM if possible. I grew up in the area, and have a very strong preference to come back to be close to family who is experiencing some medical issues. I would be happy anywhere in CA though.

Gold: CPMC, UCSF Stanyan Hospital, Kaiser Oakland

Silver: UCSF, Kaiser SF, Highland Community, Kaiser Santa Clara, UC Davis, OHSU, Santa Clara valley

Thank you, I appreciate your guidance and help.
 
Hello, I would appreciate input on my chances at a IM Bay Area program as well as help with signaling. It is my understanding that it is a very competitive area, and I would like to know if I should be looking into signaling other programs in southern CA / OR if my application is not competitive enough.

Med School: Unranked CA MD

M1-M2 grades: All pass

M3 grades:
Honors: IM, peds, psych, neuro, EM
High Pass: OBGYN, Surgery, FM

M4 grades: (P/F) Sub-I P, MICU P

Class rank: top quartile

Step 1: Pass

Step 2: 259

AOA: not offered

GHHS: not offered

Demographics: ORM, first in family to achieve this level of education

Research: 1 poster (not the one who presented, 1 abstract

Extracurriculars: board member of several clubs, some teaching in simulation labs. Nothing too exciting.

LORs: 1 IM letter from PD during M3 rotation, 1 Chair letter, 1 letter from sub-I, 1 from MICU

Geographic Signaling: Pacific

Red flags: none

Plan is to be a hospitalist, but I would like to keep the door open for PCCM if possible. I grew up in the area, and have a very strong preference to come back to be close to family who is experiencing some medical issues. I would be happy anywhere in CA though.

Gold: CPMC, UCSF Stanyan Hospital, Kaiser Oakland

Silver: UCSF, Kaiser SF, Highland Community, Kaiser Santa Clara, UC Davis, OHSU, Santa Clara valley

Thank you, I appreciate your guidance and help.
I'd gold signal SCVMC. UCSF is a waste if you're going to be a hospitalist (and probably a waste without either a PhD or AOA) but you definitely won't get an II if you don't apply. Seems reasonable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, hope to get some input on my signal list. Aiming for a top residency in my geographic preferences to maximize chances at Cardiology fellowship

Med School: T10 USMD

Grades: P/F, all P. Achieved high shelf scores, IM shelf 90.
Class rank: 2nd quartile

Step 1: Pass
Step 2: 272

AOA: not offered
GHHS: didn't receive

Demographics: ORM, first in family for medicine

Pre-med research: 4 pubs and 2 book chapters pre-med school (3 first author)
Med school research: 1 first author case report + 1 submitted first author paper, 6 posters (4 first author)

Extracurriculars: Significant Med-Ed with leadership

LORs: M3 IM, Sub-I IM, MICU, Chair

Geographic Signaling: Pacific, South Atlantic, East North Central

Red flags: none

Gold: UCSF, Johns Hopkins - Osler, Stanford

Silver: UTSW, UCLA, Northwestern, UChicago, Baylor, USC, UCSD, Rush, JHU-Bayview, Cedars, UIC, UMD

No signal: MGH, Harbor UCLA, UCLA Olive View,

Thanks!
 
Hi everyone, trying to get some input on my signals. For context, preferentially trying to be in/near Chicago or NYC (family proximity). Career-wise thinking either Cards or GI.

Med School: Mid-Tier USMD

Preclinical Grades H/NH/P/F: All H
Clinical Grades: 4/7 H (Including IM), 3/7 NH
Class rank: 1st quartile

Step 1: Pass
Step 2: Mid 270s

AOA: yes
GHHS: no

Demographics: ORM

Research: 2 poster presentations (first author), 3 accepted abstracts to ACG (Third author), 2 manuscripts in preparation (1 first author, 1 second author).

Extracurriculars: Standard volunteering, mentorship, leadership

LORs: Sub-I IM, MICU, departmental letter (chair signs off)

Geographic Signaling: East North Central, Middle Atlantic, New England

Red flags: none

Gold: Northwestern, Cornell, 3rd gold still undecided...

Silver: UChicago, Rush, Iowa, Wisconsin, OHSU, Mayo, WashU, Michigan, NYU, Sinai, BU, BIDMC,

No signal/Debating silvering: UPenn, Brown,

Would appreciate it if there's a thought that I'm aiming too high (a little sad about lack of actual publications but that's just how it went, loved the research project I'm in though) or any other programs that would be good for my stats. I'm thinking that Rush, Iowa, Wisconsin would be good for backups and shooting for the moon with the rest.

Thanks!
 
Hi everyone, I would greatly appreciate feedback on my signals and overall program list. I'd prefer to be in the DMV area and northward at an academic program. I'm applying primarily categorical and PSTPs where available, but I don't have high hopes for PSTP IVs as I don't have a published first-author paper from my PhD (it will be submitted to a journal before Wednesday though). I also have a few Qs at the end.
  • Student type: US MD/PhD at mid-tier school
  • Goals: Heme/onc
  • M1-M2 grades: 11/13 H, 2 HP
  • M3 grades: 5/8 H (including IM), 2 HP, 1 P
  • Class rank: 2nd quartile
  • STEP 1: 245+
  • STEP 2: 250+
  • AOA: No
  • GHHS: No
  • Research: ~ 20 items (papers, abstracts, oral talks, posters)
  • Honors/awards: ~ 20 (academic excellence, grants, scholarships, research, conference travel awards)
  • Extracurriculars: leadership, student advising
  • Red flags: None
  • Geo prefs: New England, Middle Atlantic, South Atlantic
  • Progs:
  • Gold: JHU, Bayview, UPenn
  • Silver: UMD, UVA, Georgetown, VCU, Jefferson, Temple, Penn State, BIDMC, BU, Tufts, Brown, home prog
  • No signal: MGH, GWU, Dartmouth, UMass, UConn, Vermont, WVU, Allegheny PA, Lankenau PA, Marshall WV, Maine Med, Inova Fairfax VA, Bayhealth DE, UMass Chan Baystate
  • Can swap in if possible: BWH, UPMC, Yale
  1. Are my signals well allocated? Am I likely to convert to IVs from my current signals? Can I aim higher with signals by swapping in some swap programs?
  2. Is the overall program number alright, or too high/low? Should I cut down on non-signals?
  3. Do I need to apply to community programs at all? Can I safely apply only academic?
  4. Will I still be at a disadvantage at PSTPs with a submitted first-author paper?
  5. For non-PSTPs, will it be a red flag to submit 3 clinical letters instead of 2 clinical letters and my PhD PI letter?