This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GL everybody

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Med school rank: mid tier MD
USMLE Step 1: 213 - much lower than my practice scores unfortunately :(
USMLE Step 2: Not taken yet
Class rank: 50th percentile
AOA: no
Clerkships: all Pass
Research: a few publications, presentations
LOR: solid
EC's: a lot of volunteering, mission work, w/ some leadership positions etc

Basically an average student at an average school with a low Step score :( . Any chance at a university IM program if I get an avg Step 2 score (primarily looking in southern states ie Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Florida, NC, Cali), or should I stick with primarily community IM programs in those states? Any experience/advice with someone in my situation, or how many programs I should be applying to? I'm not sure how much consideration I should give to Freida and their reported step score averages (ie is it a complete waste to apply to IM programs where their stated cutoffs are in the 220s?) I've heard many people get interviews well below the cutoffs, but who knows. Just trying to seek out more people's advice, thanks!

Applications are the cheapest part of this process. Apply broadly. That Freida stuff is incomplete and not reliable. If you apply to every university program in the states you mentioned (minus the obvious no-hope reaches) I think you'll match.

Med school rank: Middle third mid-west
USMLE Step 1: 236
USMLE Step 2: taking july
USMLE CS: taking july
Class rank: not assessed, average about HP on preclinical
AOA: prob not

Grades:
-Honors: Pulm elective, Rads elective, anesthesiology, OB GYN, Psych
-High Pass: IM, Surgery
-Pass: Family med
-Pending: FM

Research:
-Publications: 2 Poster presentations, 1 pub pending, 1 case report at national conference competition

LOR: Have 3 lined up, will get 1 more on sub-I
ECs/Leadership: president of local club, involved with various community endeavors, and started a new club for the school that is actually pretty unique and a passion of mine.

I ideally want a solid / upper-middle tier academic program that provides me options for fellowship, but a respectable community program would also be great. I wish I had gotten an honors on IM, but the shelf left me a tad short of the cut off. I don't really have a geographic preference, so my list is pretty large, but I am originally from the Northeast.

Miami-Jackson
RWJ
NJMS
Albert Einstein
Montefiore
Hofstra LIJ
Mt sinai
Presby Cornell
Presby Columbia
NYU
Stony Brook
Vanderbilt
Upenn
Penn Hospital
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Cedars Sinai
LA USC
UCLA
UCLA olive view
UCSD
scripps mercy
scripps green
Uchicago
UIC
Rush
Northwestern
BIDMC
BU
hopkins bayview
U of maryland
emory
Cleveland clinic
Brown
MCW
Georgetown
George Washington
UTSW
Austin-Dell
Baylor

You'll match with that list. If you're considering Cleveland Clinic definitely add Case Western.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm good on midtier safeties like BU / Miami ect?

I wouldn't call them "safeties" but you should get enough interviews to match at one. Consider adding Tufts and Loyola.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Originally from westcost, and would like to end up back there. WAMC at USC, UCI, UCLA-harbor, cedars, and UCD?

Med school rank: Low tier MD
USMLE Step 1: 248
USMLE Step 2: not yet
USMLE CS: not yet
Class rank: not sure, middle of the class
3rd year Grades:
All passes, in a system H/HP/P/F

Research:none
ECs/Leadership: some community service and school leadership.

Kaisers
CPMC
SVMC
UCI
UCD
Cedars Sinai
USC
UCLA
UCLA olive view
UCSD
scripps mercy
scripps green
Jefferson
UIC
Rush
Tufts
BU
hopkins bayview
U of maryland
Georgetown
George Washington

I'm good on midtier safeties like BU / Miami ect?

I would say with your stats BU is more of a reach than a safety. The big northeast cities are quite competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Originally from westcost, and would like to end up back there. WAMC at USC, UCI, UCLA-harbor, cedars, and UCD?

Med school rank: Low tier MD
USMLE Step 1: 248
USMLE Step 2: not yet
USMLE CS: not yet
Class rank: not sure, middle of the class
3rd year Grades:
All passes, in a system H/HP/P/F

Research:none
ECs/Leadership: some community service and school leadership.

Kaisers
CPMC
SVMC
UCI
UCD
Cedars Sinai
USC
UCLA
UCLA olive view
UCSD
scripps mercy
scripps green
Jefferson
UIC
Rush
Tufts
BU
hopkins bayview
U of maryland
Georgetown
George Washington

Don't know much about those specific programs but intuitively I'd guess that you'll match at one of them.

Hey guys I'd appreciate some input; trying to figure out where I would be competitive for. Would like to go to Northeast and eventually do endocrine- just looking for the best training possible. My weak spot is probably my medical school. What are my chances at places like BIDMC, Penn, and Columbia? Also would it help for me to take CK before September?

Med school: midtier MD
Step 1: 258
Haven't taken step 2ck
All honors
Research: moderate
EC/leadership: random not exciting things

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys I'd appreciate some input; trying to figure out where I would be competitive for. Would like to go to West coast or Northeast and eventually do CC medicine- just looking for the best clinical and research training possible. My weak spot is probably my medical school. What are my chances at places like Stanford, UWash, BIDMC, Penn, Vanderbilt and Columbia? Also would it help for me to take CK before September?

Med school: mid/low-tier MD
Step 1: 258
Haven't taken step 2ck
Honors in IM, surgery, peds, psych, HP in FM. Not junior AOA, maybe senior?
Research: basic science abstract and poster at national conference, 4th author manuscript, 1st author case series
EC/leadership: random not exciting things

Thanks!

Your chances are alright I guess; as always those big name/big location programs are very competitive and while you're a great applicant there's nothing on your CV that's likely to wow them. But still certainly worth applying to as many of the big name places as you like and I suspect you'll match at one of them. Obviously you'll want to apply to a fair number of mid-range places as well.

I wouldn't take CK before September; your Step 1 is excellent so it's unlikely you're going to improve on it too much.

Med school rank: top 20 MD
USMLE Step 1: 235
USMLE Step 2: 255
Clerkships: H: Medicine, surgery, Psych, neuro HP: all rest
Research: 4 publications, 3 presentations
EC's: some leadership positions, some volunteerism
Took a year to get an MBA

What's my shot at the big university programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE Step 1: 235
USMLE Step 2: 255
Clerkships: H: Medicine, surgery, Psych, neuro HP: all rest
Research: 4 publications, 3 presentations
EC's: some leadership positions, some volunteerism
Took a year to get an MBA

What's my shot at the big university programs?
Big like a lot of residents? Or big like "my grandma has heard of that place"?

Good for the first group, mediocre for the 2nd group.

Big like a lot of residents? Or big like "my grandma has heard of that place"?

Good for the first group, mediocre for the 2nd group.
I guess similar caliber to that of my medical school is what I was going for.

Am I completely screwed for NYU and Cornell.. if I get 260 on Step 2 and honors on medicine subI?

Uh...maybe? We need a little more context my man.

I am here as an International student who just Finished his Medical school and is awaiting graduation around November 2017.

I am in real dilemma between Radiology and Internal Medicine.

I am yet to take my step exams, But have confirmed 1 month of Radiology elective and 1 month of IM elective in a " Not so good institution ". I have applied for another month of rotation in IM, yet to get notified about the acceptance.
( I Cannot apply to better places due to lack of time and lack of step scores)

I am planning to apply in 2018 sept. Now the great fear is,
"What are my chances to match into an IM/Rad program with LOR from a mediocre institution but with 99 on both the steps ?"
*I Have a Good LOR from my home school and a few awards, honours and voluntary camps.

I would Like to apply for 2018 sept.
Please advice me on this Regd.

Thank You for your time.

I am here as an International student who just Finished his Medical school and is awaiting graduation around November 2017.

I am in real dilemma between Radiology and Internal Medicine.

I am yet to take my step exams, But have confirmed 1 month of Radiology elective and 1 month of IM elective in a " Not so good institution ". I have applied for another month of rotation in IM, yet to get notified about the acceptance.
( I Cannot apply to better places due to lack of time and lack of step scores)

I am planning to apply in 2018 sept. Now the great fear is,
"What are my chances to match into an IM/Rad program with LOR from a mediocre institution but with 99 on both the steps ?".
*I Have a Good LOR from my home school and a few awards, honours and voluntary camps.

I would Like to apply for 2018 sept.
Please advice me on this Regd.

Thank You for your time.
See NRMP:

Main Residency Match Data - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

USMLE Step 1: 251
USMLE Step 2: Taking in July
Class rank: Not sure yet - guessing top 25%, will be top 10% if Surgery

Clerkships
Honors: Psych, Pediatrics, Neurology, Ob-Gyn, Medicine
HP:Family Medicine
Pending: Surgery

Research: 6 publications (no first, working on 2-3 more this year) , 2 poster national
LOR: Two high ranked individuals, one medicine letter, one dean, trying to get a good one from Sub-I
EC's: started some health education programs locally, pretty strong for medical students I think, global health experience
Other: Pretty compelling reason for internal medicine/ long term sub-speciality goals (i.e. had cancer)

Trying to assess if I have a shot at a Big 4 + Stanford for research purposes, and if I should do an away at one of them to change that. We haven't had a match into the Big 4 in a few years, but that might be because the people who do well here tend to go ROAD. Also looking at this thread most people that end up at the Big 4 have all honors and over a 260/270. sigh

Congrats on a very strong application. You have a very strong chance at Big 4 + Stanford - granted its always a bit of a crapshoot which invites you may get at the top. Please do not do an away - for someone at your level it would be of little utility.

Med school rank: ~50s Southern US
USMLE Step 1: 268
USMLE Step 2: TBD
AOA: No

Clerkships
Honors: IM, OBGYN, Neuro
HP: Pedi, Family, Psych, Surgery
Research: None
Recs: one strong letter, two standard letters
ECs: global health and volunteer activities

How competitive am I for the Big 4 and other top IM programs? Are they all reaches?

Additionally, generally speaking, I am interested in doing residency in the northeast or pacific northwest.

Clerkships

How competitive am I for the Big 4 and other top IM programs? Are they all reaches?

Additionally, generally speaking, I am interested in doing residency in the northeast or pacific northwest.
I would be surprised if you matched at a top academic program with 0 research.

Clerkships

You're not competitive at the "Top X" programs. Your Step 1 score is good enough to avoid getting screened out but there's nothing else in your app that will get you there.

You'll match at a good program though, so don't let that worry you.

Clerkships

You're not competitive at the "Top X" programs. Your Step 1 score is good enough to avoid getting screened out but there's nothing else in your app that will get you there.

You'll match at a good program though, so don't let that worry you.

Clerkships

The Big 4 I don't think you're very competitive for, for the reasons mentioned above. BIDMC, Penn, Cornell, Columbia are still reaches but you might get an interview at one of them. Best case scenario for you is probably UWash/NYU/Yale, although your lack of research and AOA may be a problem. Places like OHSU, BU, Monte etc are very much in your wheelhouse imo.

Depending on your definition of a "top" program, I think your best chance is outside of the regions you mentioned.

Med School: SUNY school
USMLE Step 1: 261
USMLE Step 2: took it Sunday
AOA: yes
GHHS: no

Preclinical: honors in all but one
Clerkships: honors in all
Research: 1 pub, 3 poster presentations
ECs: one international med trip, several different volunteering experiences (free clinic, teaching kids, etc)
Work: MA one year before med school, taught for kaplan MCAT course
Unique Features: TA for my school's IM clerkship, professional natural bodybuilder

WAMC in top 4 vs. top 15-20? I think my biggest weaknesses are attending a public NYS school and only the 1 publication. I know the bodybuilding thing seems random, but I feel as though it's something the RDs will find interesting and at the very least provide a strong talking point. What do you guys think? Am I competitive at all? Thanks all!

Sent from my XT1585 using SDN mobile

ECs: one international med trip, several different volunteering experiences (free clinic, teaching kids, etc)
Unique Features: TA for my school's IM clerkship, professional natural bodybuilder

WAMC in top 4 vs. top 15-20? I think my biggest weaknesses are attending a public NYS school and only the 1 publication. I know the bodybuilding thing seems random, but I feel as though it's something the RDs will find interesting and at the very least provide a strong talking point. What do you guys think? Am I competitive at all? Thanks all!

Sounds like you have a good idea of your own competitiveness. Great app with unique interests and decent research, but it will be harder coming from a NYS public school. Top 4 will probably be a crapshoot.

I think the biggest favor you can do yourself is make sure your app tells your story well (your ECs/research should align with your PS, which should align with your LORs, etc.) In other words, you'll want to try to avoid sounding like you simply "checked the boxes," and make a clear case of what type of leader you want to be in medicine (my personal belief of what stratifies ppl b/w the tippy top and rest of top tier since most people at that level have earned strong clinical grades/board scores.)

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Incoming "big 4" intern here. Sounds like you have a good idea of your own competitiveness. Great app with unique interests and decent research, but it will be harder coming from a NYS public school. Top 4 will probably be a crapshoot.

I think the biggest favor you can do yourself is make sure your app tells your story well (your ECs/research should align with your PS, which should align with your LORs, etc.) In other words, you'll want to try to avoid sounding like you simply "checked the boxes," and make a clear case of what type of leader you want to be in medicine (my personal belief of what stratifies ppl b/w the tippy top and rest of top tier since most people at that level have earned strong clinical grades/board scores.)

Best of luck!
Thank you for the insightful feedback. With my current PS, I feel as though I'm "checking boxes" as you described.

My passion lies more in teaching than in research. Do you think it would be appropriate to work that into my personal statement instead of my pub/posters?

Would you be willing to give my current PS a once-over?

Regardless, thank you very much for your comments!

Incoming "big 4" intern here. Sounds like you have a good idea of your own competitiveness. Great app with unique interests and decent research, but it will be harder coming from a NYS public school. Top 4 will probably be a crapshoot.

Best of luck!
Sent you a PM! Thanks!

You won't have an issue matching to a top 20 if that's your goal. Coming from a SUNY school (or any state school that's not one of the top tiers like UCSF can make the big 4 or anything in the top 10 a crapshoot). What I advise is to look at where your school has historically matched or have gotten interviews consistently and that would be your best bet. My guess is you'll get love from programs like Columbia which share closer proximity but maybe less attention from programs which have not had housestaff members from your school in recent years. There's a lot of regional and school bias in medicine. For example, at my school, I found it was harder within our pool of IM applicants to get interviews at certain top 10s than big 4 programs and it was seemingly random to us. If you're passionate about medicine or something related make it shine through on your app and interview trail and things will work out. My other advice is to keep an open mind on the interview trail. Your end goal should be to find a program you love and feel at home with, whether or it's a "big 4" program or not. Personally I felt the concept of the big 4 was outdated from my experience on the interview trail as many things in medicine lore/hearsay is antiquated. You'll be surprised with which programs you ultimately like, as was I. You'll be able to accomplish any of your goals from a top X or whatever program.

Reactions: 1 users
You won't have an issue matching to a top 20 if that's your goal. Coming from a SUNY school (or any state school that's not one of the top tiers like UCSF can make the big 4 or anything in the top 10 a crapshoot). What I advise is to look at where your school has historically matched or have gotten interviews consistently and that would be your best bet. My guess is you'll get love from programs like Columbia which share closer proximity but maybe less attention from programs which have not had housestaff members from your school in recent years. There's a lot of regional and school bias in medicine. For example, at my school, I found it was harder within our pool of IM applicants to get interviews at certain top 10s than big 4 programs and it was seemingly random to us. If you're passionate about medicine or something related make it shine through on your app and interview trail and things will work out. My other advice is to keep an open mind on the interview trail. Your end goal should be to find a program you love and feel at home with, whether or it's a "big 4" program or not. Personally I felt the concept of the big 4 was outdated from my experience on the interview trail as many things in medicine lore/hearsay is antiquated. You'll be surprised with which programs you ultimately like, as was I. You'll be able to accomplish any of your goals from a top X or whatever program.
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah. I'd like an opportunity to see what the top programs have to offer, but I'm certainly going to ultimately make my decision based on what fits best with me.

I'll be sure to investigate the match history my school has with those programs! Thanks again!

I was AOA and PhD (with first-author pubs) from a SUNY school...the one geographically closest to NYU as a matter of fact. My Steps were OK.

I got IV offers from: MSSM, Cornell, MGH, UChicago, Dartmouth, UWash, WashU, UCLA, UCSD and a bunch of others
I got rejections from: Columbia, NYU, BWH, Duke, UNC, NW, UCSF and Stanford

Draw your own conclusions.

I was AOA and PhD (with first-author pubs) from a SUNY school...the one geographically closest to NYU as a matter of fact. My Steps were OK.

I got IV offers from: MSSM, Cornell, MGH, UChicago, Dartmouth, UWash, WashU, UCLA, UCSD and a bunch of others
I got rejections from: Columbia, NYU, BWH, Duke, UNC, NW, UCSF and Stanford

Draw your own conclusions.
Conclusion: crapshoot

Dear all,

I am an IMG applying for 2018 match. My credentials are 224/238/pending CS/will take Step 3 in Sept, 4 US LORs, 3 mos of US observership, YOG - 2012, 4 yrs of working experiences back in my country, including 2 yrs in ICU, no gap in my CV. I am applying IM.
I am having anxiety for the very first barrier: getting interviews.
1) Due to my low Step 1 score, I am afraid of getting no interviews. How should I best prepare for getting interviews?
Thanks a lot and I really appreciate your help.

In addition to good US LORs which you already have:

Make sure to write a descent CV: Detail all of your work, volunteer and research experience.
Write a good PS.
Contact programs expressing interest later in the season.
If you know someone in a program ask him/her to vouch for you.
Try to take step 3 earlier so you have the score ready by Eras opening day.

Otherwise they's nothing you can do to change the outcomes of getting an interview or rejection.

Good luck.

In addition to good US LORs which you already have:

Make sure to write a descent CV: Detail all of your work, volunteer and research experience.
Write a good PS.
Contact programs expressing interest later in the season.
If you know someone in a program ask him/her to vouch for you.
Try to take step 3 earlier so you have the score ready by Eras opening day.

Otherwise they's nothing you can do to change the outcomes of getting an interview or rejection.

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply.

Hey everyone, IMG from a non-caribean for school. It is the top 13 in my country.

I'm pretty nervous as I'm trying for internal medicine. I got a 200 on my Step 1 and a 227 on my Step 2 CS (just got my score).

Just wanted to hear what are my chances with this. I've got research experience and publications and graduated with honors... but does any of that matter in the real medical world?

Thanks.

Hey everyone, IMG from a non-caribean for school. It is the top 13 in my country.

I'm pretty nervous as I'm trying for internal medicine. I got a 200 on my Step 1 and a 227 on my Step 2 CS (just got my score).

Just wanted to hear what are my chances with this. I've got research experience and publications and graduated with honors... but does any of that matter in the real medical world?

Thanks.
1) I believe there's a specific thread for this question. Maybe a mod (e.g., @gutonc) can move this, or maybe you can ask this question in the other thread?

2) Briefly, NRMP should have most the relevant data. There is a Charting Outcomes specifically aimed at IMGs (2016) too. Please double check what I've said, but from what I can see in the Charting Outcomes for IMGs, non-U.S. IMGs who got between 191-200 on Step 1: 42 matched IM but 134 did not. As for Step 2CK (I think you mean CK, not CS), non-U.S. IMGs who got between 221-230: 263 matched IM but 403 did not.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Thanks.

In the US, you're likely to be evaluated on your USMLE scores, US clinical experience, and how well your school is known. Research and pubs are helpful, but are icing on your academic cake. You mentioned in your other posts that you're from Mexico, which isn't known for it's medical schools (unlike England, or Germany, for example).

Bottom line: The answer to your question probably doesn't matter anymore. Sounds like you plan to apply for a spot in the next cycle. You'll need to apply broadly, and you should consider whether you want to apply to FM also as it's less competitive. Good luck!

DO student. USMLE Step 1: 239, Step 2: probably 250 (my practice scores were around 262). I honored my IM clerkship (idk if that's worth anything as a DO student). As I non traditional student I just want a solid community IM program because I plan on being a hospitalist or working at an inpatient/outpatient mixed practice after 3 years. I have no fellowship aspirations. What are the best community programs in the Midwest/Southeast regions? How many should I apply to?

DO student. USMLE Step 1: 239, Step 2: probably 250 (my practice scores were around 262). I honored my IM clerkship (idk if that's worth anything as a DO student). As I non traditional student I just want a solid community IM program because I plan on being a hospitalist or working at an inpatient/outpatient mixed practice after 3 years. I have no fellowship aspirations. What are the best community programs in the Midwest/Southeast regions? How many should I apply to?

Advocate Lutheran and Advocate Christ are two very good ones in Chicago.

In the US, you're likely to be evaluated on your USMLE scores, US clinical experience, and how well your school is known. Research and pubs are helpful, but are icing on your academic cake. You mentioned in your other posts that you're from Mexico, which isn't known for it's medical schools (unlike England, or Germany, for example).

Bottom line: The answer to your question probably doesn't matter anymore. Sounds like you plan to apply for a spot in the next cycle. You'll need to apply broadly, and you should consider whether you want to apply to FM also as it's less competitive. Good luck!

Hello,

Thank for your response. I do have about a year of US clinical experience in the form of clerkships. How helpful is this really when applying to programs compared to USMLE scores?

MY school is considered prestigious in Mexico, but I'm not sure how to get this across, or does it even matter to the PDs?

Also, what about students who want to do research. (I'm doing a masters in clinical research for that very purpose) as part of their careers? I'm very concerned that I may not get a spot in a University program and basically lose all chances at doing properly funded research as a physician. How exactly can I get my experience across and, again, does is even matter to PDs?

Any other tips you might know of are greatly appreciated!

You can get good hospitalist and mixed inpatient/outpatient training at a university program. I'd apply to 40-50 programs and be more picky once the interviews start rolling in.