Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can’t speak to that posting directly either but hospital jobs are not all created equal. Don’t forget there’s entire limb salvage departments at some major university hospitals. I have no interest in that side of this profession and thus wouldn’t apply to those but you could see where a position like that might say fellowship trained, because limb salvage fellowships do exist. I think it depends where you’re at in your career too and what you want out of it. Preferred isn’t required either. I think we give hospital admin too much credit for how much (little) they know about podiatry and schooling/residency too.If a fully ABFAS qualified pod takes such a job - can they even get fully certified with just pus bus procedures? If not, what a waste of time for that applicant pod, they can do better - and maybe will once they get experience and get out of there when a new better job comes around
If a fully ABFAS certified pod takes such a job - imagine being capable enough to do rearfoot procedures but being limited to only driving the pus bus which 90% of all pods can do (ABFAS, ABPM, whatever). What a waste of talent and time/effort for that applicant pod, they can do better - and absolutely should since there's more money to gain from offering more services
Fellowship is basically a year of officially documented training - if nothing else, I guess that counts for better work experience than being a PP slave
I don't know what actual job responsibilities the job in question has for the pod - the listing doesn't really say. But IF this job is a regular old pus bus job that *requires* ABFAS qual/cert and a fellowship, that's just a lot of stupid going around. Stupid for the applicant (see above). Stupid on the job posting hospital for not doing their research. Stupid on any pod(s) already at that hospital demanding a specific board and fellowship if the patient load doesn't support it. Then again, podiatry is stupid so what did I expect
I don’t advocate one way or another for fellowship. There’s good ones and bad ones. I have friends and coresidents that did the good ones and jobs after have been mixed.