OFFICIAL MT. SINAI COUNTDOWN THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump... anything happening?

Members don't see this ad.

More news on the infamous Mt. Sinai waitlist...

~100 people waitlisted; major movement from waitlist around end of June and early July.

Keep those fingers crossed and saying those prayers!

Veggie

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE SINAI!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from SDN been accepted off the waitlist at Sinai? I haven't heard of a single person thus far. It has to be moving. :confused:

No one yet......we have to wait at least 2 more weeks.....SINAI is infamously slow....

Received my acceptance yesterday dated June 6th.
I was placed on the alternate list couple weeks before that. Good luck.

movement in the waitlist!!! hope I get good news soon.

I Bleed Blue and Gold are you going to go to Sinai? Congratulations on the acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called today and they told me there has been no movement on the waitlist. They are not expecting anything until after July 4th. --A little later than expected--

Are U serious! That's crazy! Doesn't class start on August 6?!!

Yeah..Sinai is SOOOOOO behind!

JUMP!!!!!!!!

what is taking so long!!! I Wonder if more people have been taken off the waitlist...

Confirmed with admissionw office yeserday that major movement from the waitlist will occur after July 4th! Need to keep saying those prayers.

I know orientation is Aug 6th.

Does anyone know whether orientation is optional and when actual classes start?

Veg.

From what I've heard, orientation is mandatory and classes start Aug 5. They have a calendar up on the website under the medical student handbook. Hope some of you hear about the waitlist movement soon, but I know I'm definitely going to Sinai (sorry I won't be withdrawing). I wonder why July 4 is a good time for waitlist movement? Anyone got any ideas on that? Good luck everyone!!

any news??!! Anyone accepted recently??

How major? Is that info from the office staff? It would be nice.

Hey Fluffy,

Just wondering the specific reasons why you chose Mt. Sinai over the other schools. And what was helpful in getting accepted?

Info from other Mt. Sinai acceptees greatly appreciated as well! :rolleyes:

Several things made Sinai attractive. First, they have an educational philosophy that I agree with, including a pass/fail grading system in years 1 and 2, as well as student input with regard to the curriculum. They are very supportive of their students, and they realize that there is life outside of medicine. Second, they offered very good financial aid, which is very important to me. They are not only supportive of their students educationally and emotionally, but also financially. In fact, they offered me a full tuition scholarship after I had already decided to attend (their initial financial aid package was excellent as well). Third, I really want to experience NYC, and I thought Sinai was the best school for me in the City. I did my research on the schools, and Sinai seemed to offer the best all around package for me. Housing, tuition, location, and educational experiences were the best for me in the City. Because of that, they were the only school in NYC that I applied to. I had the option to attend Emory, Medical College of Georgia, and UNC-Chapel Hill, and I chose Sinai because after weighing all the factors, they were the best choice for me. I guess I also had significant reasons not to attend the others schools. I want to get out of Atlanta and I've heard some stories about Emory, so they were out. MCG is in Augusta, GA, and I would much rather be in a big city or a college town. UNC is out of state for me and the tuition is ridiculous unless you're in state. I didn't apply to schools that I didn't think I'd be happy at, so I was very happy to choose Sinai above the others. Hope that helps.

Just about when I'd given up all hope... I received an Airborne package today with the good news-it was dated the 26th. I'll be attending MSSM this fall. Classes start the 5th. I want to wish all of you still waitlisted luck as well.

Giz Congrats! Did you write a letter of intent?

Cm7b5-
Yeah, I wrote a LOI last week, but I've kept up correspondence before that too. Hang in there.

Hey Giz,

:wink: Congrats! Mt. Sinai is an amazing school! :clap:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I've been calling like crazy. I wrote an LOI and I'm thinking of writing an update letter as well. What do you think? I'm also thinking of sending a letter of reference from the job I recently quit to go to med school this fall. Do you think that would be helpful? What was your method of correspondence with the school? I want to be ready for all that July waitlist movement.

Also, how will you be financing your education?

Hey Giz,

:wink: Congrats! Mt. Sinai is an amazing school! :clap:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I've been calling like crazy. I wrote an LOI and I'm thinking of writing an update letter as well. What do you think? I'm also thinking of sending a letter of reference from the job I recently quit to go to med school this fall. Do you think that would be helpful? What was your method of correspondence with the school? I want to be ready for all that July waitlist movement.

Also, how will you be financing your education?

congrats Giz!!!! I'm still waiting for good news but I'm starting to lose hope. I've written many letters, went to the second look weekend and all but no decision yet.

Hey Vinsansity,

Definitely do not lose hope! I haven't heard anything yet either but I'm learning the art of positive thinking. Just look at the success stories of USef and Doctora Foxy! And above all remember that there is still July! I would even advise you to prepare to go to school at Mt. Sinai for August 6, so that you'll be ready when you get that call/overnight courier...

positive thinking that is what I need!! Thanks Supafly for the support.

positive thinking that is what I need!! Thanks Supafly for the support.

any more movement in the waitlist???

Still waiting for a decision. Patiently waiting.

Congrats to you guys who are in Sinai! That is my dream school, I think that place is absolutely amazing. I went to talk with the MSTP admissions dean and she was great. Anyways, I'm applying this year, I was curious to know what kind of feel you got for the place through the admissions process. I get the feeling they really try and look at the individual as a whole when considering applications, but then again thats just a feeling.

biophysic: I think you have the right idea---the best person you can be is yourself. If you already made a contact with the MSTP lady, you are on the right track.

I'll be attending Sinai beginning in August. I am really looking forward to it, and I hope to see you next year! Good luck!

Called today for status and the lady told me that there was no movement since last week. Well, I guess I'll call again next week :)

Wanted to let all waiting on Sinai know - I just sent in my withdrawal today - 1 of the hardest things I've had to do this application cycle especially since I was lucky enough to get 1 of the 6 room suites....

Vince and the rest: Really hope all get your wish and become part of the Sinai family!!! Best of luck to all!!!!! :) :)

Thanks Supafly and Vin,
I just got back in town. SDN has changed colors. Supa, I had written them a few times over the last couple of months. I'm by no means an expert at this though and don't know what is best in your situation. I really hope both of you get in.
Giz

Anyone been accepted off the waitlist recently????