Official NBDE Part 1 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 1 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Aspiration of food can result in all of the conditions except one. Which one is the exception ?

1. Pneumonia
2.Pneumothorax
3.Lung abscess
4.Atelectassis
5.Asphyxiation

In the essential hypertension, which of the following represents the classic autopsy finding in the kidney?
1. Pyelonephritis
2. Glomerulonephritis
3. Benign nephroseclrosis
4.Renal artery stenosis
5.Renal carcinoma
Answer is 4... i think so

What Mucor effect more other than (blood vessels)?
1. Nerve tissue
2.Heart
3.Respiratory
4.G.I.T.
5.Liver

Members don't see this ad :)
Aspiration of food can result in all of the conditions except one. Which one is the exception ?

1. Pneumonia
2.Pneumothorax
3.Lung abscess
4.Atelectassis
5.Asphyxiation
It can cuase all the others except Pneumothorax..causes.. stab injury, post some surgeries of chest wall surgeries, as a later consequence

In the essential hypertension, which of the following represents the classic autopsy finding in the kidney?
1. Pyelonephritis
2. Glomerulonephritis
3. Benign nephroseclrosis
4.Renal artery stenosis
5.Renal carcinoma
it's benign nephrosclerosis.. prolonged hypertension leads to the following target organ damage... hypertensive retinopathy, nephrosclerosis with flea bitten contracted kidney, left ventricular hypertrophy.. including vascular rupture as a result of stroke

What Mucor effect more other than (blood vessels)?
1. Nerve tissue
2.Heart
3.Respiratory
4.G.I.T.
5.Liver
Nerve tissue.. rhinocerebral and frontal lobe abscess... fungus with irregular non septate hyphae branching at >90 degree, proliferate in walls of blood vessels causing necrosis, infarction of distal tissue associated with diabetes mellitus.. though it does affect the nasal tissue, seems to affect nerve tissue more than lower respiratory.. correct me if i'm wrong, plz

it's benign nephrosclerosis.. prolonged hypertension leads to the following target organ damage... hypertensive retinopathy, nephrosclerosis with flea bitten contracted kidney, left ventricular hypertrophy.. including vascular rupture as a result of stroke

that is what I thought. I post it because I had a friend who answer it with gloerulonephritis.

I think the nephroseclerosis is the correct one.

Nerve tissue.. rhinocerebral and frontal lobe abscess... fungus with irregular non septate hyphae branching at >90 degree, proliferate in walls of blood vessels causing necrosis, infarction of distal tissue associated with diabetes mellitus.. though it does affect the nasal tissue, seems to affect nerve tissue more than lower respiratory.. correct me if i'm wrong, plz

that is right since as I found that mucor can cause respiratory involvement and GIT as well. Pt.s with mucor may have a respiratory and GIT symptoms, but the involvement in the nervous T.( especially the brain) seems to be more common and early with the infected people.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001672/

It can cuase all the others except Pneumothorax..causes.. stab injury, post some surgeries of chest wall surgeries, as a later consequence

I think you are right. I was suspecious more about the pnemonia, but the stagnation of the food(lodging of the food) may enhance the vegetation of organism(especially the anaerobic bacteria)

Methyl xanthines are both adenosine inhibitors as well as phosphodiesterase inhibitors... thus prventing the breakdown of cyclis AMP and causing accumulation of intracellular cAMP levels

I want to go back to this question. I don't know what is the correct answer because both answers I think are correct since the cAMP and protein kinase A effect lipolysis. What do you think

one of foll best describes the Pt who deveops meningitis,mumps,coxsachi or echovirus?

a.sensitive to viral toxins
b.mortality rate of 75%
c.rarely develop permanent neural damage
d.subj to exacerbations once latent virus is activated
e.most often initially infected by blood containing virus

Each of the following is a type of inflammatory exudates EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?

A. Serous
B. Fibrous
C. Purulent
D. Fibrinous
E. Pseudomembranous
1.The majority of epidemic ringworm of the scalp in humans which can be traced to the use of common barber shop clippers,the transfer of infected hair on theater seats or person to person contact is due to

-microsporum audouini
-microsporum canis
-microsporum gypseum
-trichophyton mentagrophytes

2.which of the foll genera of fungus diseases is not readily transmitted from human to human??

-epidermophyton
-microsporum
-histoplasma
-trichophyton
1.. infection in contact weares is due to
2.Antisera to which of the following cell-surface molecules is able to detect all T lymphocytes?
(A) Anti-CD4
(B) Anti-CD8
(C) Anti-CD3
(D) Anti-Fab
(E) Anti-IgM

Culture with Y or H shaped filament organism would be?
What is the cause of buccal vestibule to decrease in size when jaw is opened wide-
a condyle
b coronoid
c humular
d styloid
What syndrome is characterized by, increased succeptibility to infection, retinal something?

A. Gardner sydrome
B. Hypothyrodism
C. Hypopitutaryism
D. Hyperthyrodism....

This one I could find any connection or clue to answer it.

A Pt. get extracted tooth and later has blood under his finger nail beds and blood clot . What is the underlining disease ??
1.DIC
2.MI
I don't have the rest of the answer choices if you have other suggestions

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the organisam which is usually test for water sanitization

What is cause of hairy lukoplakia
1.EPV
2.Candida
I don't have the rest

one of foll best describes the Pt who deveops meningitis,mumps,coxsachi or echovirus?

a.sensitive to viral toxins
b.mortality rate of 75%
c.rarely develop permanent neural damage :thumbup:
d.subj to exacerbations once latent virus is activated
e.most often initially infected by blood containing virus

Each of the following is a type of inflammatory exudates EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?

A. Serous
B. Fibrous :thumbup:
C. Purulent
D. Fibrinous
E. Pseudomembranous
1.The majority of epidemic ringworm of the scalp in humans which can be traced to the use of common barber shop clippers,the transfer of infected hair on theater seats or person to person contact is due to

-microsporum audouini
-microsporum canis :thumbup:
-microsporum gypseum
-trichophyton mentagrophytes

2.which of the foll genera of fungus diseases is not readily transmitted from human to human??

-epidermophyton
-microsporum
-histoplasma :thumbup:
-trichophyton
1.. infection in contact weares is due to
2.Antisera to which of the following cell-surface molecules is able to detect all T lymphocytes?
(A) Anti-CD4 :thumbup:
(B) Anti-CD8
(C) Anti-CD3
(D) Anti-Fab
(E) Anti-IgM

Culture with Y or H shaped filament organism would be? Corynebacterium
What is the cause of buccal vestibule to decrease in size when jaw is opened wide-
a condyle :thumbup:
b coronoid
c humular
d styloid
What syndrome is characterized by, increased succeptibility to infection, retinal something?

A. Gardner sydrome
B. Hypothyrodism
C. Hypopitutaryism
D. Hyperthyrodism....
Am not entirely sure on all of them though..

What is the organisam which is usually test for water sanitization E coli

What is cause of hairy lukoplakia
1.EPV
2.Candida :thumbup:
I don't have the rest
Hairy cell leukoplakia.. associated with HIV infections.. causative agents.. either HPV or Candida

What is the Bacteria that causes green pus????
Pus maybe green on account of myeloperoxidases produced by the neutrophils (oxygen dependant killing mechanism) hwever here they are talking of the green pus produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections due to pyocyanin pigment produced

This one I could find any connection or clue to answer it.

A Pt. get extracted tooth and later has blood under his finger nail beds and blood clot . What is the underlining disease ??
1.DIC
2.MI
I don't have the rest of the answer choices if you have other suggestions
Subacute bacterial endocarditis- maybe sequela of dental procedure--> Strep virdans infection--> small vegetations on abnormally damaged or diseased valves
Fever, Roth spots, Osler's nodes, Janeway lesions ( small erythematous lesions on palm or sole), nail bed haemorrhages-->splinter haemorrhages, anemia, emboli, murmur

Am not entirely sure on all of them though..

hey anaita want to correct some ans

every T lymphocye have CD3 molecue.....ans should be anti CD3

it's coronoid process that moves in maxillary bullal vestibule......that's why u have to record it in impression taking ......otherwise it would affect denturre retention

in hypothyroidism BMR decrease in general of all cell of body...so the cannot fight infection adequetly

it's coronoid process that moves in maxillary bullal vestibule......that's why u have to record it in impression taking ......otherwise it would affect denturre retention

in hypothyroidism BMR decrease in general of all cell of body...so the cannot fight infection adequetly

I am with you regarding the lymphocyte. Thanks for the corronoid process.

About the retinal ..., I am thinking about hyperthrodisim. In hyperthyrodisim, there will be an exophthalamas, a swelling of the muscles and tissue around the eye. I think this would compress the optic nerve or the eye, and cause problem( infections , retinal detachment, etc..)

Subacute bacterial endocarditis- maybe sequela of dental procedure--> Strep virdans infection--> small vegetations on abnormally damaged or diseased valves
Fever, Roth spots, Osler's nodes, Janeway lesions ( small erythematous lesions on palm or sole), nail bed haemorrhages-->splinter haemorrhages, anemia, emboli, murmur

Yes, You are right

Which of the following is not a concern in a Pt. with xerstomia
Dysgeusia dysarthria dysplasia dysphonia

Which of the following cells are increased in established periodentitis ?
Lymphocyte plasma cell macrophage neutrophil

What of the following cranial nerve restores normal respiratory after an attach of asthma ?
V VII IX X XII

Thank you so much Bunty,you are absolutely right!! was facing a burnout.. just took a break and got back

What of the following cranial nerve restores normal respiratory after an attach of asthma ?
V VII IX X XII

1) dyplasia is not associated with dysgeusia (taste), dysarthria (affects speech), dysphonia (phonation)

V VII IX X XII
2)i think it should be macrophages and B lymphocytes which act as APC's for transfer to lymph node and antibody class switch to IgG.. which is present in the periodontal pockets... since it is established periodontitis, more likely answer should be lymphocytes.. since T cells would also be present...not sure :(
3) should be through IX ann X...
Anyone????
Peripheral chemoreceptors act principally to detect variation of the oxygen concentration in the arterial blood, whilst also monitoring arterial carbon dioxide and pH. They are located in the aortic body and carotid body, on the arch of the aorta and on the common carotid artery, respectively. The carotid bodies are most sensitive to changes in partial pressure of arterial oxygen and pH. The aortic bodies are most sensitive to the content of arterial oxygen. In contrast, the central chemoreceptors are relatively insensitive to oxygen concentration, and thus to hypoxia.
A continual signal is sent, via cranial nerves IX and X, from the peripheral chemoreceptors to the brainstem. With a decrease in arterial oxygen tension and content or drop in plasma pH, the signal intensifies, and results in an increase in ventilation rate

Last edited:

6. The sanger method of cloning uses
-transcription
-translation
-reverse transcriptase

I think transcription.
the sanger method is used to identify the sequence of Nitrogen bases in the DNA. Any other ideas

-transcription :thumbup:
-translation
-reverse transcriptase

I think transcription.
the sanger method is used to identify the sequence of Nitrogen bases in the DNA. Any other ideas
i think so too!!

2)i think it should be macrophages and B lymphocytes which act as APC's for transfer to lymph node and antibody class switch to IgG.. which is present in the periodontal pockets... since it is established periodontitis, more likely answer should be lymphocytes.. since T cells would also be present...not sure :(
3) should be through IX ann X...
Anyone????
Peripheral chemoreceptors act principally to detect variation of the oxygen concentration in the arterial blood, whilst also monitoring arterial carbon dioxide and pH. They are located in the aortic body and carotid body, on the arch of the aorta and on the common carotid artery, respectively. The carotid bodies are most sensitive to changes in partial pressure of arterial oxygen and pH. The aortic bodies are most sensitive to the content of arterial oxygen. In contrast, the central chemoreceptors are relatively insensitive to oxygen concentration, and thus to hypoxia.
A continual signal is sent, via cranial nerves IX and X, from the peripheral chemoreceptors to the brainstem. With a decrease in arterial oxygen tension and content or drop in plasma pH, the signal intensifies, and results in an increase in ventilation rate

I think there will be no class switching since it is established periodentitis( they should mean chronic). The antibody produces would be IgG,A, or so. Anyhow, the marker of chronic infection is macrophage. I guess there will be some lymphocytes present may be late, but not as macrophage.

I am trying to put the body response via the cranial nerves to the asthma attack with the Herring-Beruer reflex(stretch-inflation reflex). This reflex is controlled by stretch,inflation, receptor and compress,deflation, receptor where they connected to the CNS( Apneustic center ) through Vagus CN X. Therefore, the body would response by increasing the stretch reflex after asthma attack.

Any ideas

i think so too!!

TO ANAITA AND GOLF

THE ANSWER SHOULD BE DNA REPLICATION....
there should be this option.....

have a look on this animation ......u will know lots of about seuqencing tech......this will also give idea why it is called sequencing tech.....this method was developed by SANGER.used to study the sequence of neucleotide in genome.done with the help of DNA polymarase

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Education-resources/Teaching-and-education/Animations/DNA/WTDV026689.htm

reply me soon what it is....

Last edited:
TO ANAITA AND GOLF

THE ANSWER SHOULD BE DNA REPLICATION....:thumbup:

have a look on this animation ......u will know lots of about seuqencing tech......this will also give idea why it is called sequencing tech.....this method was developed by SANGER.used to study the sequence of neucleotide in genome.done with the help of DNA polymarase

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Education-resources/Teaching-and-education/Animations/DNA/WTDV026689.htm

Absolutely amazing animation.. thnx Bunty... do you have more such on DNA Recombinant; makes understanding it and therefore remembering it easier; and when's the exam scheduled for??

-transcription
-translation
-reverse transcriptase

I think transcription.
Golf, i think there should be an option for DNA replication whch is missing in the questions.. thnx for poasting these questions.. helps clearing doubts.. when's you exam scheduled for??

TO ANAITA AND GOLF

THE ANSWER SHOULD BE DNA REPLICATION....

Thank you so much Bunty.. was avoiding this topic for too long now!!

You are very well prepared; am sure you are gonna rock it...!!

The superficial head of the medial pterygoid muscle originates on the tuberosity of the maxilla and on the: a) pterygoid fossa b) pyramidal process of the palatine bone c) crest of the greater wing of the sphenoid bone d) lateral surface of the lateral pterygoid plate

The superficial head of the medial pterygoid muscle originates on the tuberosity of the maxilla and on the: a) pterygoid fossa b) pyramidal process of the palatine bone c) crest of the greater wing of the sphenoid bone d) lateral surface of the lateral pterygoid plate

Ans....b

Golf, i think there should be an option for DNA replication whch is missing in the questions.. thnx for poasting these questions.. helps clearing doubts.. when's you exam scheduled for??

Bunty, thanks for this nice animation. It helps me a lot. Good luck for in your exam, I am sure you will do very good.

Anaita, this month. What about you ?

I took this question from our forum. It was posted by
Doctors1987
Status Dentist

Which 2 bones least likely to be fractured ???
Zygomatic bone Mandible Occipital Frontal
Frontal, occipital..
Does the primary maxillary second molar have two triangular ridges just like the permanent maxillary first molar??

which is a strong opsonin
C5a
IL1
IL6

A patient w/ diabetes what is the most reliable method for screening glucose absorption in the body.
FBS
casual blood sugar levels
Postprandial blood sugar levels
Glucose tolarence test

nOrganism responsible for the carcinoma
Salmonella
HSV
H.Pylori
H.influenza

which of the floowing is not a autoimmune disease
hashimoto's thyroditis
SLE
AI hemolytic anemia
Sickle cell anemia
Sjogren's Sx

the signal that a soft food bolus is in the mouth is maily trasmitted by
the periodontal receptors in PDL
the mechanoreceptors in the oral mucosa
the smooth muscle in oropharynx
the Propioreceptors in the TMJ

In erytrhopoiesis, which of the following increases from the proerythroblast to the mature erythrocyte?
a. Cell size
b. Phagocytic ability
c. Cytoplasmic acidophilia
d. Cytoplasmis basophilia

Which chemical mediator of acute inflammation is generated through the activation of an enzyme precursor that requires activated Hageman factor?
a. bradykinin
b. serotonin
c. histamine
d. leukotriene(LTB4)
e. prostacyclin(Pgl2)

I couldn't find the best answer for this question I need help for this one

Which of the following describes innate immunity
a) allergic reaction to insect venom
b) The classical pathway of complement
c) Destruction of virus infected cells by CD8
d) Production of igG in response to insect venom
e) Alternate pathway of complement

17. Cytokines causing bone resorption
a. IFN-alpha & beta
b. IL1-alpha & beta

Frontal, occipital..
Does the primary maxillary second molar have two triangular ridges just like the permanent maxillary first molar??

Do you know why the frontal is least ???? I am thinking they are both the least but I couldn't find a source say why ???

I think the primary max. 1st has triangular ridges(two) since the triangular ridges" the ridge that projects from the cusp tip to the central groove" according to the dental decks. I am not sure. Tell me if I am wrong.

which is a strong opsonin
C5a
IL1
IL6 Answer should be C3b, C4b, i C3b, IgG, IgM, Mannose binding lectin which activates C3b in the mannose binding lectin complement pathway

A patient w/ diabetes what is the most reliable method for screening glucose absorption in the body.
FBS
casual blood sugar levels
Postprandial blood sugar levels
Glucose tolarence test :thumbup:

nOrganism responsible for the carcinoma
Salmonella
HSV
H.Pylori :thumbup: Ca stomach, Ca esophagus.. (also!!)
H.influenza

which of the floowing is not a autoimmune disease
hashimoto's thyroditis
SLE
AI hemolytic anemia
Sickle cell anemia :thumbup:
Sjogren's Sx

the signal that a soft food bolus is in the mouth is maily trasmitted by
the periodontal receptors in PDL
the mechanoreceptors in the oral mucosa :thumbup:
the smooth muscle in oropharynx
the Propioreceptors in the TMJ
Plz correct me if i'm wrong

Do you know why the frontal is least ???? I am thinking they are both the least but I couldn't find a source say why ???they both ar least.. havent checked anywhere.. probably just coz thats what i've seen in clinical pratice...

I think the primary max. 1st has triangular ridges(two) since the triangular ridges" the ridge that projects from the cusp tip to the central groove" according to the dental decks. I am not sure. Tell me if I am wrong.
Thanx

What is the most powerful muscle for contraction???

I don't know if this question is type of questions appear on exam, but I did find it as someone who took the exam and wrote what s/he remembered

What is the important and powerful muscle of mastication ? masseter..

A patient presents with symptoms of an acute abscess on the maxillary left lateral incisor. There are no clinical signs of decay or restoration.
Radio graphically, which of the following will most
likely be shown as the cause of the abscess?

A. Agenesis
B. Dilaceration
C. Concrescence
D. Dens in dente :thumbup:
E. Enamel pearls
:)

In erytrhopoiesis, which of the following increases from the proerythroblast to the mature erythrocyte?
a. Cell size
b. Phagocytic ability
c. Cytoplasmic acidophilia :thumbup:
d. Cytoplasmis basophilia

Which chemical mediator of acute inflammation is generated through the activation of an enzyme precursor that requires activated Hageman factor?
a. bradykinin :thumbup:
b. serotonin
c. histamine
d. leukotriene(LTB4)
e. prostacyclin(Pgl2)

I couldn't find the best answer for this question I need help for this one Reference First Aid USMLE

Which of the following describes innate immunity
a) allergic reaction to insect venom
b) The classical pathway of complement
c) Destruction of virus infected cells by CD8
d) Production of igG in response to insect venom
e) Alternate pathway of complement :thumbup:

17. Cytokines causing bone resorption
a. IFN-alpha & beta
b. IL1-alpha & beta
As far as i kw Osteoclasts do not have PTH receptors.. its the osteoblasts which activate them.. butmby none of the above Does anyone else have an answer??

As far as i kw Osteoclasts do not have PTH receptors.. its the osteoblasts which activate them.. butmby none of the above Does anyone else have an answer??
1 L.. question number 334; hw is the answer B, my answer was E; what is it that i am missing here??