Official Northwestern Notification Thread 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derzornhistolog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings All!

It is my most distinguished honor and pleasure to inaugurate the official thread for finding out about acceptances, rejections and waitlistings for Northwestern in this 2005 application cycle. Decisions are to have been mailed by the end of the week (the 25th), and I would ask that loyal SDNers report back here with the dirtz spegertz (tip: 'spegertz' rhymes with 'dirtz'). Thank you for your co-operation and good luck!

...Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delenda est

Members don't see this ad.

My status changed to 'A final decision is forthcoming' sometime late today. I wonder if that means that things are in the mail already. Good luck to everyone out there waiting!

chopper said:
My status changed to 'A final decision is forthcoming' sometime late today. I wonder if that means that things are in the mail already. Good luck to everyone out there waiting!

If you have that message--if the decision not in the mail already, it should be very soon. My status page has been like that since they mailed the decision in November. Good luck, I hope it's good news for you!!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine has switched to "final decision is forthcoming" as well. I am in Indiana, so i imagine it should be here soon. I will let everyone know when it arrives.

To those who saw the "final decision is forthcoming" status change, when did you guys interview? Mine still says that a final decision is pending. AHHHHH :(

bidster said:
If you have that message--if the decision not in the mail already, it should be very soon. My status page has been like that since they mailed the decision in November. Good luck, I hope it's good news for you!!!! :luck:

What was the decision in your case?

I interviewed Late Jan

RunMimi said:
From the Office of Admissions:
"All decisions have been made and will be mailed out shortly. You should hear by early March. Just wait my the mailbox."

From my phone conversation this morning.

I guess it is waitlist then for all of us who still have the same "decision is pending" page. Oh well...

While waiting until March for notification may leave us scarred in ways the adcom can never know, our torment is near its end. Know that you are not alone.

That said, I am unwilling to draw conclusions from the changing of the 'pending' line to the 'forthcoming' line. Such exegesis is, I fear, evidence that we've all gone barking mad.

Okay, so granted that this is all speculation...

If "pending" = waitlist, and "forthcoming" = acceptance, then where the hell does rejection fit in?

My decision is still pending. . . so that's a waitlist? :(

rockstar2525 said:
My decision is still pending. . . so that's a waitlist? :(

From previous years, it looks like it is. Count me in this group

blump said:
From previous years, it looks like it is. Count me in this group

this is the second round of acceptances though isn't it? Thought NU already had one adcom meeting in November or December. Anyone know how the status page changed for those in that batch?

Furthermore, does NU reject anyone post-interview? or is everyone just put on the waitlist if they are not accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
MisterMo said:
this is the second round of acceptances though isn't it? Thought NU already had one adcom meeting in November or December. Anyone know how the status page changed for those in that batch?

Furthermore, does NU reject anyone post-interview? or is everyone just put on the waitlist if they are not accepted?

I remember when I interviewed, she said ~40% of those interviewed would be accepted, ~10% rejected, and the rest on the waitlist...
That being said, my status still says "pending," but I'm not giving up hope...

ctwickman said:
Final decision is forthcoming = Acceptance

Congratulations! I hope you come here because it is a great school, great city, and to add it all up it is is actually a great TIME and you can't say that for most med school experiences.

If you can still log in and it says "pending" you haven't been rejected or accepted yet so just wait a week and see what happens.

Any insight into the idea that pending = waitlist? It seems like lots of people are throwing that idea around... or will everyone's change to a decision is forthcoming when a decision (in, out, or waitlist) is on its way?...I am still pending but desperately want to get in. NU is by far my 1st choice!

ctwickman said:
Final decision is forthcoming = Acceptance

Congratulations! I hope you come here because it is a great school, great city, and to add it all up it is is actually a great TIME and you can't say that for most med school experiences.

If you can still log in and it says "pending" you haven't been rejected or accepted yet so just wait a week and see what happens.
thats great news! thanks for calming me down...

thanks for the info. hope is still alive! good luck to everyone else out there.

I just called NU at 5pm EST today, and all final decisions have been made. They will be sending out the letters shortly (some were sent today, others will be sent within a few days). The lady said all applicants should be notified by early March. Good luck!

Jack_Adam said:
I just called NU at 5pm EST today, and all final decisions have been made. They will be sending out the letters shortly (some were sent today, others will be sent within a few days). The lady said all applicants should be notified by early March. Good luck!
This is also what they said to me. I asked about the internet status still reading "pending," and they said they didnt know what was going on with it.

How can we be sure that 'forthcoming' = acceptance? Maybe it just means they've come to a decision on your file. Perhaps they simply haven't gotten to the 'pending' people yet.

Can someone provide links to support the idea that a prediction can be soundly made based on such subtle changes to the site? I'd be much obliged!

Well, when asked if there is a difference between "pending" and "forthcoming" status online, admissions stated, "I can't comment on that."

Plus, it's Northwestern. Really!

you're right, they've apparently made decisions.

more precisely then, I guess the question is whether they've managed to laboriously update the websites for all of us?

by the way, carthage must be destroyed.

so, is there anybody who cannot sign in to their status page who could yesterday??

icecream4me said:
Well, when asked if there is a difference between "pending" and "forthcoming" status online, admissions stated, "I can't comment on that."

yarg, my gut feeling doesn't like the sound of that. Waitlist #5, here I come.... :(

MisterMo said:
yarg, my gut feeling doesn't like the sound of that. Waitlist #5, here I come.... :(
i bet a lot of people asked about that when they called, so the person who answered the phone had to say something... i keep telling myself not to assume anything, but its hard. If i do end up on the waitlist, i am going to stay confident. Northwestern is my #1, and I'll make sure they know that...

RunMimi said:
When all of this is over, I am writing Dean Brown a letter describing their application process from an applicant's viewpoint. Somebody needs to explain to them how ludicrous their system is! Remember how their secondary had really strict timelines? Then the blocking you out of the status page before telling you about your rejection and now this decoding? Ay carumba--what a rat race?!?

RunMimi, why on earth do you care? Let me put things in perspective for you: um, take a look at your profile again.

RunMimi said:
and now this decoding? Ay carumba--what a rat race?!?

i don't think nu purposely does this so people will have to writhe in their skin trying to decode the on-line lingo. as usual, the applicants are the ones who bring it upon themselves to "decode" things. for further proof, check out the blossoming Columbia thread for this year or the ridiculous Columbia 2004 thread (on which i made many of the silly posts, as much as i hate to admit)... hang in there, it's only a few more days.

RunMimi said:
When all of this is over, I am writing Dean Brown a letter describing their application process from an applicant's viewpoint. Somebody needs to explain to them how ludicrous their system is! Remember how their secondary had really strict timelines?

Even if applicants bring the "decoding game" on themselves, her point about the secondary deadline is right on. In many cases, a one-week deadline can be unrealistic, and it punishes applicants who are unable to access their email/secondary in time, especially when there is no advance warning of when the secondary will be sent so alternate arrangements can be made. I know someone who was abroad and missed his chance to apply because he didn't get access to his email in time, and by the time he called after he got home, it was too late to negotiate.

I myself was abroad and had access to the secondary, but I came within 15 seconds of being pickpocketed while I was frantically working on it at an internet cafe, which was the only place I had online access. When I say "pickpocketed," I mean this guy almost got away with swiping my entire bag from next to my feet without me noticing. Luckily there was a very considerate Londoner who happened to observe the attempt and interrupted it. :love: Aside from making me paranoid, the experience just made me more frustrated that I couldn't wait the 2 more weeks until I came back home to submit. :mad:

i hope my acceptance/waitlist/rejection gets here before friday, because i'm leaving for over a week for spring break and want to know before i leave.

This may be a bit premature (considering that a rejection is still a possibility), but I was wondering if anyone knew about the movement off waitlist for NU - is it common? When does the movement occur in the year?

RunMimi said:
Chalk it up to the perfectionist in me :)

Well, dear, it is so admirable that you're a perfectionist. However, sometimes, you've got to look at the great things you have going for you. Trust me, come March, Northwestern will be nothing but small fry to you. It already is. The worst of it is that you probably got in.

Has anyone with a status change to "forthcoming" received a phone call?

RunMimi said:
When all of this is over, I am writing Dean Brown a letter describing their application process from an applicant's viewpoint. Somebody needs to explain to them how ludicrous their system is! Remember how their secondary had really strict timelines? Then the blocking you out of the status page before telling you about your rejection and now this decoding? Ay carumba--what a rat race?!?

mimi, what did you think about the panel interview? While I appreciate what they were trying to do (i.e. see how you work in a team), I don't think the interview really achieved that purpose. My interview went something like this:

interviewer A: so, Mr. XXX, if you could have dinner with anyone anywhere in the world, who would it be and why?

me: blah blah blah

interviewer A: Ms. YYY, what do you think about the controversy surrounding the teaching of evolution in school?

her: blah blah blah

and so on.

Except for the last part of the interview, I did not think there was a point to the panel interview; the questions were addressed to a particular interviewee, not the group.

Ooh the panel interview. That was the moment i decided i'd never go to that school-

sockandmittens said:
Ooh the panel interview. That was the moment i decided i'd never go to that school-

Did you actually have an interview here or you decided before going? The panel interview is a joke. Easiest and most casual, low key interview by far of all my interviews.

So let's do a survey. Don't be shy here. Who has:

1. "Decision is forthcoming"

2. "Decision is pending"

Yup- most stressful interview I had all this year. Which was the net feeling from the other people in my interview group as well. And the Emory panel interview was low stress, so there was some sort of distinct dynamic to mine at Northwestern.

ctwickman said:
So let's do a survey. Don't be shy here. Who has:

1. "Decision is forthcoming"

2. "Decision is pending"

what do you care man, don't you have some studying to do

^

LOL. :)

We don't have a test for 5 weeks and I just took one last Monday and one Yesterday so I can chill a little bit this week.

ctwickman said:
^

LOL. :)

We don't have a test for 5 weeks and I just took one last Monday and one Yesterday so I can chill a little bit this week.

wow, that is nice. I dont mean to be rude but a poll like this will just make people who have "pending" more depressed as it is most likely a waitlist.

Well, no offense, but that is their problem. A lot of people get pulled off the waitlist so it sure beats a rejection and to be quite frank the reason for this poll is to get at the bottom of the lingo, because none of us, including me, are sure what "pending" even means. Are you sure it means a waitlist?

Besides, don't take things so personally. This process is very random and you will get rejected from many schools you thought you were a shoe in anyway. As for me I am curious about all this because it brings back some good memories of last year and I'm excited to meet some future classmates. You guys are obviously in here because you at least had an interview here and this year our applications went up 17% to just shy of 7000... so you are all winners and obviously going to get in somewhere great.

this is, after all, a post about notification reporting. we're here to report whether we were waitlisted, rejected or, by dei gratia, accepted.

also, a poll like this may have merit because once we all have our letters in hand, we can look back and see if there is any merit to the idea that the forthcoming/pending notice was legit.

________
SPQR

big ol' pending...