Official Northwestern Notification Thread 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=61958&page=9&pp=20&highlight=northwestern+status

for those of you that are wondering what starfruit is talking about. it seems that for all those that actually responded to when their status changed in regards to their acceptance/waitlist, there was a correlation. however, that was only like 3 people. but nobody that got a status change on the "bad" day spoke up.

so i guess when we all find out, it'd probably be instructive for us to say when our status changed and whether or not we were accepted. i.e. Tuesday or Wednesday status change.

but i sure as hell hope it's all coincidence....

Members don't see this ad.

from last years thread

japonesa said:
Ouch. I got the dreaded rejection letter yesterday :( (in Northern Cali). The letter's postmarked on the 24th, though my status page changed on the 21st, so I guess PelicanMan's theory's not true, which is good for people whose status changed Monday.

I know my interview wasn't the greatest, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Am I really only one of 20-30 people being rejected?
Well, I guess the upside is no waitlist limbo, at least for this school.

Congrats to everyone who got in! Northwestern's a great school, and I really am happy for those of you who are out celebrating now.

doesnt sound like this rule is hard and fast

holy mother of forthcoming. now that i have no reason to check that status page again (ever!) i'm going to camp out downstairs and wait for the mail.
good luck, ya'll!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so to continue contributing to this madness (and I truly believe that I have gone legally insane in the past 24 hours)... :scared:

My status page changed to "forthcoming" today as well. As according to last year's post, I agree that the rule doesn't seem set in stone that an a status change on the first day = acceptance - I was nuts enough to look through nearly all 10 pages of last year's thread and it seems like last year's people were just as neurotic as we are :)

In addition, the acceptances seem to be in big envelopes, while the waitlists are in a "5"7" tan envelope" or something like that. Some acceptance people also received emails about 2nd look weekend even before they got their acceptance in the mail. Also, I just wanted to mention that according to the MSAR, last year's acceptance percentage was higher for in-state people, only because of the division in interviewed b/t in-state and out-of-state, so I don't know if the percentages for accepted, etc posted on this site are necessarily set in stone either.

OKAY I'm done being crazy, haha! I think that I am just going to sit back and forget about this until I get something in the mail for sure. GL to everyone - I anticipate only a week or so more of this!

odbasucanc said:
so, if they began sending out acceptance letters in the regular mail, then those who live in or near to Chicago should get them tomorrow at the latest... Maybe even today if they live in Chi-town...
anybody here live in or around Chicago?

I live in Chicago so I will let you know if/when I hear anything. I'm not holding my breath though, the mail in my zip code is notoriously slow. It's been hell waiting for things. . . I got my UIC interview invite a MONTH after it was post marked, a month! :eek: It only had to go a few miles. Hopefully friendly Mr Postman will decide to deliver this one a bit more quickly.

icecream4me said:
In addition, the acceptances seem to be in big envelopes, while the waitlists are in a "5"7" tan envelope" or something like that.

i talked to somebody who was accepted in November. he said that his acceptance came in a regular sized envelope.

icecream4me said:
In addition, the acceptances seem to be in big envelopes, while the waitlists are in a "5"7" tan envelope" or something like that.

Well to add to the confusion even more, my acceptance letter came in a small tan envelope! :laugh:

rockstar2525 said:
I live in Chicago so I will let you know if/when I hear anything. I'm not holding my breath though, the mail in my zip code is notoriously slow. It's been hell waiting for things. . . I got my UIC interview invite a MONTH after it was post marked, a month! :eek: It only had to go a few miles. Hopefully friendly Mr Postman will decide to deliver this one a bit more quickly.

Do you live in Roger's Park? I have the same problem - worst mail delivery I've ever seen. Mail is SO unpredictable. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't hear for weeks one way or the other. arrrrgh.

I would just like to say that reading through the last 6 pages of this thread has been SO painful! I have been through the emotions of extreme joy, anger, fear, disgust, and sadness all within a five minute span. :D

The take home lesson? None of us will know anything until we get a letter from NU, open it, and read what they have to say. AARGH! If only it could get here at -20 seconds ago!

yup, mine has changed to forthcoming. i'm not sure exactly when, though. last time i looked was monday and it was pending.

so no one has an actual letter yet? i really want to get it in the mail by tomorrow cause i'm leaving for spring break friday at 5am, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. dammit!

I find it comical that there are 120+ postings in this thread, and no one has even received a letter yet. Here's to neuroticism (me included)! Good luck, people. :luck:

Comical, yet somehow therapeutic.

chopper said:
Do you live in Roger's Park? I have the same problem - worst mail delivery I've ever seen. Mail is SO unpredictable. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't hear for weeks one way or the other. arrrrgh.

Lakeview. . . I guess most of Chicago mail sucks. Here's to waiting for a couple of weeks to get a letter delivered three miles! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can just imagine you all throwing rotten produce at me for this, but I must ask:

Has everyone's status now been changed to 'forthcoming'?

SPQR

yup...mine changed around 5pm or so...

ctwickman said:
You know if you are absolutely dying to find out, you could stop by the admissions office in person. Bring an ID. I'm sure they would tell you. Just a thought.

While I am willing to admit my neurosis on an anonymous web board, I think I still have too much pride to go in there and show my face and neurosis to the admission office of my top choice school. :laugh:
For now I will just run to the mailbox. . . although if I don't get it by next week I may just suck it up and go in there. ;)

So, do we know for sure the date that the letters were sent out?

wow, reading this thread almost makes me hates NU for making so many of you guys neurotic. they should just consider dropping that whole "pending/forthcoming" thing as part of the status page.

btw, NU seems to have a strange admissions policy. people i know with great stats were rejected with pre-interview. the whole panel interview was odd, and several people in my interview group was concerned about what to say when meeting with the dean to "update" their file during the interview day. then, there's the oft-discussed issue concerning the appropriateness of sending thank you notes to a panel of interviewers. in the end, i don't think the interview matters that much though, so whatever happens, don't attribute too much of it to the interview process. best of luck :luck:

krelian said:
in the end, i don't think the interview matters that much though, so whatever happens, don't attribute too much of it to the interview process. best of luck :luck:

I'd rather attribute my pending WL/rejection to the interview instead of the fact that I suck. ;)

krelian said:
wow, reading this thread almost makes me hates NU for making so many of you guys neurotic. they should just consider dropping that whole "pending/forthcoming" thing as part of the status page.

Actually it's our own damn fault reading too much into what people say on this message board. I mean, outside of this message board, the difference between "A decision is pending" and "A decision is forthcoming" couldn't be more clear on the surface. One means that a decision has not been made yet, but will (i.e., pending), and the latter means that a decision has been made and sent to you (i.e., it is forthcoming).

But it's all of our fault for trying to decode something to get answers based on previous threads.

So.... nobody's gotten anything in the mail yet today? I work all day and I will embarrassingly admit that I gauge how quickly I should rush home to the mailbox by what I hear on this board...

Just got accepted! whew. its not too thick an envelope though, so don't panic prematurely when you see the mail!

btw i was "decision forthcoming" for quite a while. Sorry folks for not easing your speculatory insecurities.

I live in Chicago, so it might be another day for out-of-towners.

davidbpage said:
Just got accepted! whew. its not too thick an envelope though, so don't panic prematurely when you see the mail!

btw i was "decision forthcoming" for quite a while. Sorry folks for not easing your speculatory insecurities.

I live in Chicago, so it might be another day for out-of-towners.
Congratulations!!! That's awesome!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Finally some news, and I'm most pleased for you that it's happy!

Do you happen to know if you've been 'forthcoming' since Monday, or was it prior to that?

And now for a question that I had hoped I'd never be reduced to asking: Was the envelope standard size or somewhat larger? Will a passing glance tell me all that I need to know?

Thanks

I checked my status page, i believe, on thursday or friday of the previous week...i'm not sure the exact date. So, if i had to speculate, I would say that an pre-monday "decision forthcoming" signals an acceptance.

I'll get back to you on the "envelope size". My roommates opened the envelope for me (i'm at work till 7). They thought the letter was bad news before they opened it, so I'm assuming the envelope was thin and standard-size.

Good luck everybody!

hey guys

i got the acceptance letter too, but i'm in cali.

i can't wait to go! i loved northwestern when i went for myinterview.

anyway, i was updated to forthcoming on tuesday,so...i dont' know how tha'ts going to factor in this discussion

anotherhopeful said:
hey guys

i got the acceptance letter too, but i'm in cali.

i can't wait to go! i loved northwestern when i went for myinterview.

anyway, i was updated to forthcoming on tuesday,so...i dont' know how tha'ts going to factor in this discussion

precisely my point. People end the craziness. Wait for your letters.

derzornhistolog said:
And now for a question that I had hoped I'd never be reduced to asking:

i think that effectively sums up everything ive ever posted on sdn. dear god, pending, forthcoming, brown v. manila, what have we all been reduced to and why cant i stop obsessing over this crap?

opinionkitten said:
i think that effectively sums up everything ive ever posted on sdn. dear god, pending, forthcoming, brown v. manila, what have we all been reduced to and why cant i stop obsessing over this crap?

I didn't even apply to Northwestern and I'm completely obsessed with this thread.

Hi, y'all. My name's ajt2003 and I'm an SDNaholic.

ajt2003 said:
I didn't even apply to Northwestern and I'm completely obsessed with this thread.

Don't sweat it. I quite like you, but not in a gay way, of course. You're not gay right? 'Cause I don't roll like that. Thanks for the PM. If we end up in the same school, we could be bois - um, eh, hmm - I mean't boys. Right, boys you know, like homies.

GuyLaroche said:
Don't sweat it. I quite like you, but not in a gay way, of course. You're not gay right? 'Cause I don't roll like that. Thanks for the PM. If we end up in the same school, we could be bois - um, eh, hmm - I mean't boys. Right, boys you know, like homies.

Word. (said while doing something masculine.) :cool:

ajt2003 said:
Word. (said while doing something masculine.) :cool:
that little smile at the end of your post looked kinda gay... not that its bad if thats the way you meant it...

odbasucanc said:
that little smile at the end of your post looked kinda gay... not that its bad if thats the way you meant it...

:cool:

well, no mail from northwestern for me today... oh well.

ajt2003 said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm as obsessed with this thread as I am with the actual outcome of my letter from NU. Premeds are SO FUNNY

i got in too! so excited!

beep said:
i got in too! so excited!

Don't you know the drill? You need to tell us when you were pending/forthcoming etc. I'm happy for you but don't post on here without feeding the paranoia.

Christ and Hunter, I signed up just so I could see the previous posts Beep made to see when he changed to "forthcoming"!

He posted his update @ 8:00 AM (PST) or so yesterday... I got mine changed to forthcoming @ 1:00 PM. Bullox to correlation methinks, but since this is one of my top choices, I'm all up-ons over it...

And now the punchline:

Has anyone gotten an acceptance letter whose status page still reads 'pending'?

(Covering face to protect from flying produce)

So, anyone get any more news? Inquiring and incredibly irritating minds want to know!

GuyLaroche said:
Don't you know the drill? You need to tell us when you were pending/forthcoming etc. I'm happy for you but don't post on here without feeding the paranoia.

oops, wouldn't want to starve the paranoia. i was "forthcoming" when evreyone started getting interested in it and i checked mine--when ever that was, a few days ago.

I got my acceptance in the mail today as well (in Cleveland). I am not sure of the exact time of the switch to forthcoming, but it was definitely before Monday afternoon. But I didn't check on last Friday, so it could have been then too.

uh oh, i have a bad feeling about this. and i'm not going to know til next saturday! aaaahhhhh!! i think mine changed to forthcoming on tues or maybe wed, and apparently i have decided that means i'm rejected or waitlisted.

k, i'm going on spring break, and i'm forgetting about it until i get back! this is ridiculous!

~laura

I got my acceptance packet yesterday too! I noticed that my status changed to "forthcoming" right around when people first started to post about it. The letter is dated Feb. 22 and indeed came in a small envelope, which only contained something like 2 pieces of paper.

Hope the mail brings you good news today! :luck:

I live four blocks from the medical school admissions office and have not yet received my letter. It is taking all the self-control I have to not walk over there every day. So there's no accounting for timing...

(Hi R-squared!)

mmarine said:
I live four blocks from the medical school admissions office and have not yet received my letter. It is taking all the self-control I have to not walk over there every day. So there's no accounting for timing...

(Hi R-squared!)

:love: Double M :love:

Since obsessive speculation is one of my FAVORITE activites while sitting at work and not working, I'm gonna say that I think us not getting letters yesterday is a bad sign. If they mailed acceptance letters in one batch and people (even those that live far away) got them yesterday. . . then did they mail waitlists the next day/later? I give it one or two more days (grace period) then I'm chalking it up as a waitlist. :thumbdown:

i wrote down during my interview that we could call if we haven't heard anything by the 24th or 25th... which i guess means we can't start calling until monday... but, by golly, their phones will be ringing off the hook if there isn't more mail in the next two days...

Heck, why not start calling now - it's the 25th, and nothing has come in the mail. I doubt they'll tell you anything over the phone, though.

That is such idle speculation I want it stricken from the record! This is a place for hapless optimism, not knee-jerk pessimism! How are supposed to maintain our obsessive-compulsive behaviour if we prematurely resign ourselves to failure?

At least with the forthcoming/pending rhetoric we had the excuse of having being misled by incomplete assessments of previous threads...

If you want to start more rumors, just call the admissions office and dig up whatever you can. I, for one, would welcome it!

man i really want to call. anybody call yet today and have any luck?