*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the heads up on the schedule. When I went to the website it showed 0 new messages and I had to search for it. Anyone reading Iserson's Getting Into A Residency? Borrow a copy from the library.

Members don't see this ad.

zp225 said:
Nice, schedule is up :thumbup:

Hey anyone else in the process of furnishing their apartment. Any suggestions on where to go for affordable stuff. I visited Ikea, check craiglist regularly, any other suggestions?
Keep a lookout on garbage day, especially in wealthy neighborhoods. Picked up a nice chair for our living room last week on someone's curb in a nice neighborhood :D

PlasticMan said:
Keep a lookout on garbage day, especially in wealthy neighborhoods. Picked up a nice chair for our living room last week on someone's curb in a nice neighborhood :D

:idea: that's an idea! Congrats on the nice find.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweeeeet.. one person's trash is another's treasure :D

Thought this schedule is good, what is our daily schedule like, is it anything like the one on LECOM's website? What was it like for the rising MS2s?

Is anyone buying a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, or oto-ophthalmoscope before 8/21?

i have a really old steth and blood pressure cuff...
but i'm waiting on everything else

Picked up a free steth and bp cuff a couple months ago. Some pharm company was offering free to anyone who would sit thru their video online, at the end it prompted you for which free gift you would like. I was suprised by the quality :)

okay, where is this schedule?
i just found the one telling us when our finals were. is there one about class times???

eanisis78 said:
okay, where is this schedule?
i just found the one telling us when our finals were. is there one about class times???

only schedule available is the one with exam dates, holidays, and study days. none with class times.

there is a new housing, carpooling, and roommate doc dated Aug 3.

hey, does anybody know the schedule for the DPC? Thanks. T minus not enough days until school starts. Bye!

Hi guys, I have a question which laptop I should get.
Right now, I have a 12" powerbook. I got it last year, and its my baby. I really like(love) Macs. The thing is, I don't know whether to get another PC laptop or a Macbook. The Pc laptop I'm looking at is about 1100 (900 after rebate), and the macbook is about 1400. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what I should do? Should I sell my powerbook and get a macbook or just get a pc laptop or wait until school starts to see if I even need a new comp? I mean, what programs do we need to run on PCs? Any help would be much appreciated. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
the angelle said:
Hi guys, I have a question which laptop I should get.
Right now, I have a 12" powerbook. I got it last year, and its my baby. I really like(love) Macs. The thing is, I don't know whether to get another PC laptop or a Macbook. The Pc laptop I'm looking at is about 1100 (900 after rebate), and the macbook is about 1400. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what I should do? Should I sell my powerbook and get a macbook or just get a pc laptop or wait until school starts to see if I even need a new comp? I mean, what programs do we need to run on PCs? Any help would be much appreciated. :confused:

wait until classes start. Your laptop should be adequate.

jmv10 said:
Is anyone buying a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, or oto-ophthalmoscope before 8/21?

I want to wait til orientation/classes start also, and our orientation handbook says that manufacturer reps will be coming to show us various kinds and give us information on Aug 29 and 30. But those prices will probably be much more $$$ than ones you can buy online........so maybe waiting til the 29th is not such a good idea? hmmm....

Marimba82 said:
I want to wait til orientation/classes start also, and our orientation handbook says that manufacturer reps will be coming to show us various kinds and give us information on Aug 29 and 30. But those prices will probably be much more $$$ than ones you can buy online........so maybe waiting til the 29th is not such a good idea? hmmm....
i noticed that too and kind of assumed we don't need them until after the info session 8/29 and 30th... who knows??! it's all very confusing...

i called to ask about Grad Plus funds dispersment, and no one has a clue :confused: :scared:

jmv10 said:
i noticed that too and kind of assumed we don't need them until after the info session 8/29 and 30th... who knows??! it's all very confusing...

i called to ask about Grad Plus funds dispersment, and no one has a clue :confused: :scared:
:scared: Many of us need that money to live on!

PlasticMan said:
:scared: Many of us need that money to live on!
I am one of us who needs the money to live on! Maybe they will get the hint when we are living in tents on NYCOM's campus because we could not pay our rent!

jmv10 said:
I am one of us who needs the money to live on! Maybe they will get the hint when we are living in tents on NYCOM's campus because we could not pay our rent!

yeah i know it sucks :( but i don't think we get ANY money in our hands until it is disbursed to the school on Aug 22nd, and then the remaining is passed our way a couple of weeks after that...... :eek:

Marimba82 said:
yeah i know it sucks :( but i don't think we get ANY money in our hands until it is disbursed to the school on Aug 22nd, and then the remaining is passed our way a couple of weeks after that...... :eek:

I remember hearing 3 weeks after the start of school :mad:

I remember someone mentioning the aoa convention being in Las Vegas this year. On our schedule it says we have off from oct. 16-18 and it lists the aoa convention as the reason we have off. I checked the dates on the aoa website and the convention during those dates is in vegas. I'm assuming that's most likely because many of our profs will be going but does nycom want us to also go? It seems kind of expensive to get out there but a few day break in vegas would probably be a nice mini-vacation. Does anyone know if we're expected to go to these conventions?

gobiggreen said:
I remember someone mentioning the aoa convention being in Las Vegas this year. On our schedule it says we have off from oct. 16-18 and it lists the aoa convention as the reason we have off. I checked the dates on the aoa website and the convention during those dates is in vegas. I'm assuming that's most likely because many of our profs will be going but does nycom want us to also go? It seems kind of expensive to get out there but a few day break in vegas would probably be a nice mini-vacation. Does anyone know if we're expected to go to these conventions?

Maybe the $40k tuition pays for our expenses to fly out first class and stay at the four seasons out there?? I'll call the dean and find out.

JasonUD said:
Maybe the $40k tuition pays for our expenses to fly out first class and stay at the four seasons out there?? I'll call the dean and find out.
:laugh:

so, just to check....when i log on to see my loans, it doesn't show the grad plus yet. is that true of everyone? EDIT: by that i mean it shows that i applied, that my credit was approved, but no amount listed for "dispersal" or a date...

and, um, how are we supposed to pay september rent without our loans???

noonday said:
um, how are we supposed to pay september rent without our loans???

Mommy, Daddy, have I told you guys that I love you lately and the first thing I'm going to do as a doctor is to buy you a big ol' Cadillac Deville? Followed by hugging.

most places give you 5 days grace period to pay your rent without penalty. This will bring us to the middle of week 3 of med school. Hopefully you have enough money for food, travel expenses, etc.

noonday said:
so, just to check....when i log on to see my loans, it doesn't show the grad plus yet. is that true of everyone? EDIT: by that i mean it shows that i applied, that my credit was approved, but no amount listed for "dispersal" or a date...

and, um, how are we supposed to pay september rent without our loans???
They told us at the interview that we should save or find a way to get money to live on until our refund comes... whenever that will be!

I called NYCOM today and said repeatedly "so, i should not be worried that i will not get the GradPlus money?" the financial aid person gave me a vague and annoyed "right." My status is also simply "credit approved." In other words: i have no idea what's going on with the $$$, but neither does the bursar or financial aid office!!

For all the money we're borrowing and all the tuition we're willing to pay, this process should be a little more streamlined. I understand Gradplus is a new program, but we should be given definite notice of when we're getting our money. The least NYCOM could do is send out letters and keep us updated on everything they know about grad plus or any loan dispersal as soon as they find out. Redunkulus.

I'm not putting NYCOM down, it was and is my first choice, but is anyone nervous about the way they've been treating us? They tell us VERY little about everything. The orientation guide is horrible, we only find out about when we get our money if we ask, and school starts in 2 weeks and we don't even have our daily schedule yet! I just hope this isn't a sign of how things are going to be over the next 4 years. I love NYCOM and I really don't want to be disappointed by them.

the angelle said:
booklist is up on the webboard!
26 required! HA! That'll run your pocket dry. I'm taking the advice from all the current students, who have posted in this thread saying "don't buy any books yet."

Hi All....

I can understand your frustration - it was essentially the same way for us last year. We found out very little prior to the start of school. With regard to the orientation schedule you've received, take it with a grain of salt as it will more than likely change during the week. We were handed all new and revised materials on the first day of orientation.

We were also unaware of what our schedule would look like for the coming academic year. It looks something like this:

M,W,F Lecture from 8 or 9am - 12pm. For our class, anatomy and OMM labs were held on either M or W depending upon what group you were placed in (they divide the class in half - one half goes to OMM lab, the other to anatomy lab)

T,Th Lectures from 8 or 9am to 5pm (12-1 Lunch)

This is what our schedule looks like for second year as well. The only exception is that they've changed lab days. The schedule is a good one, allowing lots of free time to study and get other things done (M,W,F).

Textbooks: people are going to tell you 100 different things about textbooks and whether to buy them or not. If you've always studied from textbooks, buy them. However, be aware that you may not have the time to actually sit and read them unless you somehow schedule time to do so. I bought every single textbook last year and was glad that I did. I always had a reference book within my grasp should I need to look something up or get a better understanding. Some people bought no textbooks at all and they do very well. It's all a matter of learning style, finances, and personal preference. Funny enough, I won't have to buy a single book this year - the required texts are the same!!

Any other questions, please feel free to PM me!! Good luck and Congrats again.

PlasticMan said:
The least NYCOM could do is send out letters and keep us updated on everything they know about grad plus or any loan dispersal as soon as they find out. Redunkulus.
:laugh:

jmv10 said:
I called NYCOM today and said repeatedly "so, i should not be worried that i will not get the GradPlus money?" the financial aid person gave me a vague and annoyed "right." My status is also simply "credit approved." In other words: i have no idea what's going on with the $$$, but neither does the bursar or financial aid office!!

my GradPlus status is the same -- and has been the same -- since I applied almost two months ago. Credit approved, loan just says "view details for status", Prom note received, but no money amount, no approved amount listed yet......

Sweepea8137 said:
We were also unaware of what our schedule would look like for the coming academic year. It looks something like this:

M,W,F Lecture from 8 or 9am - 12pm. For our class, anatomy and OMM labs were held on either M or W depending upon what group you were placed in (they divide the class in half - one half goes to OMM lab, the other to anatomy lab)

T,Th Lectures from 8 or 9am to 5pm (12-1 Lunch)

Thank you for the info, eventhough our schedule might be different it's good to see how it was in the past and what ours may be!

My money is on appendicitis. But um... what are we supposed to do with the email we got? Is it just FYI, or are we supposed to do something?

Also, it seems as tho there are 11 spots left, judging by the # of ppl that received an email.

nvshelat said:
Also, it seems as tho there are 11 spots left, judging by the # of ppl that received an email.

Any indication of the DPC schedule? I did not want to apply because I have no idea what the schedule is like. Thanks.

The long "New York College of Osteopathic Medicine" stickers for your car are in the bookstore, I just got mine!

JasonUD said:
The long "New York College of Osteopathic Medicine" stickers for your car are in the bookstore, I just got mine!

Ahh tricked again by those sneaky bastards...it's not the permanent sticker, it's one of those reusable stickers that you stick on the inside of the window. Well, now I have two NYCOM stickers on my car that no one can see because of my tinted glass. :laugh:

Can any of the 2nd years recommend the best (read:cheapest!) places to get these textbooks? Assuming we do want to buy some of them ;) Would you recommend the NYCOM/NYIT bookstore, or are those prices so high as to be avoided at all costs? Would B&N or Amazon be a better bet? Any other websites or stores where we can get this stuff at decent prices?

Thanks for the (never ending) recommendations!

HunterGatherer said:
Any indication of the DPC schedule? I did not want to apply because I have no idea what the schedule is like. Thanks.

check your PM box as well.
i wrote down on my DPC packet (not sure when, why, etc, but its there and its my handwriting):
M: OMM lab 8 - 12, group 1 - 3
T: Simulated pt 9- 11, clinicals 2 - 5
W: group 1 - 3
R: problem set 9 - 11, clinicals 1-4
F: group 1 -3

nvshelat said:
check your PM box as well.
i wrote down on my DPC packet (not sure when, why, etc, but its there and its my handwriting):
M: OMM lab 8 - 12, group 1 - 3
T: Simulated pt 9- 11, clinicals 2 - 5
W: group 1 - 3
R: problem set 9 - 11, clinicals 1-4
F: group 1 -3

you know, after that BS email sent out by another DPC'er who's clearly looking to either a.) force the issue that "look at me, i'm a LEADER! c'mon guys, let's go for a run!" b.) start a pissing contest before we even started, i dunno...i know that the way of learning is best for me, but at base, i really hate people. not patients. patients/clients are great. even the smelly belligerent wacked out ones. but i can't stand premeds. i never was one. and it hadn't occurred to me that, well, i'd have to interact with them more in DPC, and in lecture i could just run away from them...

nvshelat...i hope you're in my group. you're soooo not annoying. please lord, give me a group with non-annoying people...

JasonUD said:
Mommy, Daddy, have I told you guys that I love you lately and the first thing I'm going to do as a doctor is to buy you a big ol' Cadillac Deville? Followed by hugging.

yeeeah...welllll...doesn't work so well at 30 when your parents are retiring in a few years and the stock market's been down...

looks like i'm getting a job right away.

ugh. i'm in a really bad mood today. sorry.

Hey All! Only a little over 2 weeks left! :eek:

So, what's the group consensus on the book situation? Just wait and see? And I'm still so confused about FA! I stopped by the office yesterday, but I think I left with more questions than answers!

Oh well, I'm looking forward to starting and meeting everyone! Definitely add me to any and all contact lists any of you have!

Kristin

noonday said:
you know, after that BS email sent out by another DPC'er who's clearly looking to either a.) force the issue that "look at me, i'm a LEADER! c'mon guys, let's go for a run!" b.) start a pissing contest before we even started, i dunno...i know that the way of learning is best for me, but at base, i really hate people. not patients. patients/clients are great. even the smelly belligerent wacked out ones. but i can't stand premeds. i never was one. and it hadn't occurred to me that, well, i'd have to interact with them more in DPC, and in lecture i could just run away from them...

LOL :laugh:

By the way....for those of you looking to buy Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy, you might want to wait it out. It is FREE with your SOMA membership. There will be a club fair during orientation week where you can sign up to become a SOMA member - you get your Netter's on the spot!! Just some more info. Hope it helps! :D

Sweepea8137 said:
By the way....for those of you looking to buy Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy, you might want to wait it out. It is FREE with your SOMA membership. There will be a club fair during orientation week where you can sign up to become a SOMA member - you get your Netter's on the spot!! Just some more info. Hope it helps! :D

How much is the fee to join?

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.