*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nvshelat said:
:cool: where ya gonna be stopping?

from here (SF) to portland, then seattle, then across to bozeman, down through yellowstone, stop off at devil's tower, hit badlands and mt. rushmore, touch the great unconformity (the geologist in me is resisting death...), wall drug, minneapolis (to see the club in purple rain, mostly), chicago, down through ohio on a beeline to NY.

i've been to everything yellowstone and before as well as chicago and after, but the middle there, that's new and exciting....it'll put me up to 41 of the 50 states, not counting the ones i've only changed planes in.

anyone else doing any traveling?

Members don't see this ad.

nvshelat said:
Dont assume you're not in yet - maybe they send them out according to when you applied? So if we applied earlier than you, maybe we found out earlier than you? You can also call and speak to Barbara, she's very friendly, shes Portanova's assistant and she may be able to confirm your status.
:luck:

This is sort of late... stopped by the admissions office today, and heard that the DPC class is still not full...

Wednesday, September 13th is convocation. To this day I can't figure out what convocation is. Someone help me out.

noonday - I'm hoping to spend some time in Miami before school starts.

All that Fahrvergnügen! When I was young and full of vinegar I made round trips to SF, Las Vegas and NYC from chicago. I lost my Fahrvergnügen. I take a plane these days. Have fun.

First day of school NYCOM provides lunch!! Marvelous! Maybe you can use this in th future to go with your trapper keeper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...80010969553&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
Wednesday, September 13th is convocation. To this day I can't figure out what convocation is. Someone help me out.

noonday - I'm hoping to spend some time in Miami before school starts.

All that Fahrvergnügen! When I was young and full of vinegar I made round trips to SF, Las Vegas and NYC from chicago. I lost my Fahrvergnügen. I take a plane these days. Have fun.

First day of school NYCOM provides lunch!! Marvelous! Maybe you can use this in th future to go with your trapper keeper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...80010969553&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

ooohh...nice. i like it. searching around, i saw a couple of nice ones...

and oh, i usually fly. and if i wasn't going to be needing my car in NY, i'd be flying this time. since i had to drive it anyway, thought i'd make a trip of it, is all.

congrats (and sympathies for the stress) to all recently accepted!

nvshelat said:
Get your Stafford/Grad Plus stuff done NOW

Also, like PlasticMan said, find a place to live - you can use Craigslist, SDN, newsday, or the nycom webboard.

Congrats!!!

Thanks plasticman and nvshelat for your responses. I am starting the FAFSA now!

Has anyone filled out title vii that can explain how it works to me. I know you have to get your parents info...is that used only if you need more loans after stafford? I understand you would first have to qualify for it based on your parents income.

Kristin0717 said:
Hey All!

Just wanted to introduce myself in this thread. I'm Kristin (from Queens) and I just found out I was accepted to NYCOM Class of 2010! I can't wait to meet you all in a few weeks! Did you guys start any sort of a contact list yet or plan on meeting before school starts?

Also, I am SO CONFUSED about all of this financial aid stuff. I filed my FAFSA already. The $1500 deposit is about all I can afford right now...will I be required to pay any tuition before any of my loan/financial aid stuff comes through? Do you think I should just call financial aid and set up a day to meet with them?

Enjoy the rest of summer!
Yes, there already is a contact list and we had a few get togethers already. I don't think any other ones are scheduled before school starts. You can PM Shenningdo to get on the contact list. Congrats on the acceptance.

In the "Be sure you have a good credit score" thread in the pre-osteo forum someone was talking about the max amount of stafford loans being capped at $38k. I responded and said we're getting $41k. Someone else responded to that saying that it is because we go to school a month longer than everyone else??? Is that true?

Is there anyone else who currently lives in Westchester Co. and is planning on staying there while attending NYCOM? If so PM me and we can discuss trains, possible car pools, or just school in general.
Hope to hear from someone!!! :oops:

fenix82285 said:
When is everyone actually plannin on moving?...
I'm planning on moving in kinda early, around the 15th of Aug. to get my apartment set up ;)

That's not early :). I have been here since May 18th!

YogaBear said:
Has anyone filled out title vii that can explain how it works to me. I know you have to get your parents info...is that used only if you need more loans after stafford? I understand you would first have to qualify for it based on your parents income.

I didn't send my Parent's Information since I claimed as an independent on their tax returns (filled out my own). I was hesitant to include their info and remain 'dependent' on their tax return cuz i didn't want it to effect my financial aid award :rolleyes:

When i called the financial aid office, they said in general you don't have to send in paren'ts info unless you want to be considered for those scholarships...

Does anyone know when classes actually start, like lectures when they start?

Someone mentioned that orientation is on the 21st and classes start on the 22nd. Sadly, I think this is prob true :(

fenix82285 said:
Someone mentioned that orientation is on the 21st and classes start on the 22nd. Sadly, I think this is prob true :(

Yup, that's what it looks like. The "orientation guide" is VERY poorly worded so it's hard to tell for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
Let's start a pool. I'm now saying that no medical lectures until Monday, August 28th.

No more get togethers are scheduled but Mike2010 is possibly having a barbeque Sat August 12th. More info on the MySpace NYCOM Class of 2010 bulletin board:

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm...en=B033F1F6-B980-B7B0-B37713552BBD1C416029541

i think it'll be "patient care" lectures, but not "medical/sciencey" lectures. you know, like don't hit on your patients and stuff like that. maybe some ethics lectures.

noonday said:
you know, like don't hit on your patients and stuff like that

Hold on, we can't hit on our patients?

Stratus2675 said:
I'm with you. I don't think there will be any real classwork until the 28th.

Then what explains what it says on this academic calendar??

(page 3)

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Student_Handbook_2006.pdf

i hope you're right but i'm prepared for the worst (since the office of pre clinical education apparently wants us to be prepared for the worst starting aug 22nd) ;)

JasonUD said:
In the "Be sure you have a good credit score" thread in the pre-osteo forum someone was talking about the max amount of stafford loans being capped at $38k. I responded and said we're getting $41k. Someone else responded to that saying that it is because we go to school a month longer than everyone else??? Is that true?

i dont think so -- we start relatively late compared to other med schools right?

Marimba82 said:
Then what explains what it says on this academic calendar??

(page 3)

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Student_Handbook_2006.pdf

i hope you're right but i'm prepared for the worst (since the office of pre clinical education apparently wants us to be prepared for the worst starting aug 22nd) ;)

I spoke to a lady in the admissions dept 2 months ago and she told me that orientation week was manditory and that I cant miss any of the "workshops" that week.

Unless they have changed it since then.

Stratus2675 said:
I spoke to a lady in the admissions dept 2 months ago and she told me that orientation week was manditory and that I cant miss any of the "workshops" that week.

Well, you do have to sign in...

:rolleyes:

You guys are lucky. Us second years start on August 14th :mad:
I don't wanna go back, I wanna have more fun vacation :(

yanky5 said:
You guys are lucky. Us second years start on August 14th :mad:
I don't wanna go back, I wanna have more fun vacation :(

I second that X 17836762918723.

I wasn't half as zealous and gungho about starting school as these guys this time last year. It's because I still had a life back then.

yay! i got my computer last night...software all installed, etc. just have to transfer all my files from my work computer onto this beautiful baby and i'm golden.

i just can't seem to decided on a name for it, though...poor nameless computer...

and, i finally got in my immunization proof thingy. damn hmo and their feet-dragging post my titers...

have a great weekend, everyone.

noonday said:
yay! i got my computer last night...software all installed, etc. just have to transfer all my files from my work computer onto this beautiful baby and i'm golden.

i just can't seem to decided on a name for it, though...poor nameless computer...

and, i finally got in my immunization proof thingy. damn hmo and their feet-dragging post my titers...

have a great weekend, everyone.

Speaking of immunization forms, make sure you sign the meningitis part! I absent mindedly forgot so they're sending it back

Stratus2675 said:
So, what was your orientation week like?

blah blah blah blah...oh look! Free cookies! :D blah blah blah...damn I hate waiting on line for the BBQ :mad: ...blah blah blah...want me to join your club? Is it free? :idea: ...blah blah...hey...she's kinda cute :love: ...blah blah...on second thought :thumbdown: ...blah... oH SNAP, it's Norman Gevitz, you THA MAN, DR. GEVITZ!!!..blah blah blah blah...oh crap, you mean I have to start studying now? :eek:

what did you get?

noonday said:

HunterGatherer said:
what was Dr. Gevitz doing at NYCOM?

He was there to give a speech and to sign books. His speech was a brief outline of the article (Center to Periphery) he wrote a few months later in JAOA. I'm sure you've seen it. He seemed like a pimp-daddy stud to me, though the female members of my class do not seem to agree. I don't know if he is coming back this year. Maybe you guys will, instead, get a cameo appearance by Scott Baio or something.

scott0nh.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed. :)

Dies Irae said:
blah blah blah blah...oh look! Free cookies! :D blah blah blah...damn I hate waiting on line for the BBQ :mad: ...blah blah blah...want me to join your club? Is it free? :idea: ...blah blah...hey...she's kinda cute :love: ...blah blah...on second thought :thumbdown: ...blah... oH SNAP, it's Norman Gevitz, you THA MAN, DR. GEVITZ!!!..blah blah blah blah...oh crap, you mean I have to start studying now? :eek:

Thats what I figured. Cant wait :cool:

Hey, is anyone else in the DPC program? If so, please say hello. The lack of information provided by the powers that be is slightly annoying. What is going on with that thing? I'd love to meet up with anyone before school starts (in less than a month, :eek: )
See you guys soon, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

nvshelat said:
Speaking of immunization forms, make sure you sign the meningitis part! I absent mindedly forgot so they're sending it back

If it's from dell, I highly suggest reformatting before installing any other programs or using it. Lots of ******ed ad software.

I forgot to mention to all the folks that are looking for a laptop and have decided on dell... don't skimp out on the $10 re-installment CD. It will be the best $10 you have ever spent. :p

I just went into the add/remove program menu to get rid of the bloatware that Dell adds. I believe it was one of the sonic programs that required a google search to remove completely.

You may want to repartition the HD. I did not do that since I am putting programs on my desktop and text files (and minimal programs) on the laptop.

I got scammed out of my $10 replacement CD and keep forgetting to call Dell for it.

jellibelli said:
If it's from dell, I highly suggest reformatting before installing any other programs or using it. Lots of ******ed ad software.

I forgot to mention to all the folks that are looking for a laptop and have decided on dell... don't skimp out on the $10 re-installment CD. It will be the best $10 you have ever spent. :p

HunterGatherer said:
what did you get?

a beautiful, sleek, happy looking MacBook Pro, 15.4 in., 2.16 intel core duo, 120 gig memory, etc. the keyboard lights up when i touch it. i think it likes me.

long live macs!

the angelle said:
Hey, is anyone else in the DPC program? If so, please say hello. The lack of information provided by the powers that be is slightly annoying. What is going on with that thing? I'd love to meet up with anyone before school starts (in less than a month, :eek: )
See you guys soon, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

Hey!
Yup, I'm in it. However, I'm not 100% sure about it yet - I figured if I apply to it and get in, I can check it out, and if I like it great, if not I can switch over to the other side within the first 2 (?) weeks.
I also agree about the lack of information... it seems as though NYCOM could use a huge boost in the Student Affairs department.. or atleast if they updated their website, it would be nice. So, which one of you ambitious NYCOM students wants to tackle that task? :p

noonday said:
a beautiful, sleek, happy looking MacBook Pro, 15.4 in., 2.16 intel core duo, 120 gig memory, etc. the keyboard lights up when i touch it. i think it likes me.

long live macs!

I like the Lou Reed song in your signature... but what the heck is that song about? I can't figure out the lyrics for the life of me

nvshelat said:
I like the Lou Reed song in your signature... but what the heck is that song about? I can't figure out the lyrics for the life of me

Hey,

If anyone from NYCOM is still looking for housing my folks have a apt. style housing available in East Meadow. It is abt. 8 miles from campus and on Rt. 106. It usually 15-25 minutes driving depending on traffic.

Following is the link from craigslist and the complete text is listen below as well.
Email: [email protected]

http://longisland.craigslist.org/apa/188119544.html

1 Bedroom, small living room, full kitchen, full bath, separate entrance in a house. Easy parking on quiet, safe neighborhood. Large backyard available for use. Rent includes: electricity, direct tv (doesn't include HBO/Star), heat and water.
Easy access to LIRR: Port Jefferson or Southshore line. Near walmart, nassau university medical center, southern state, meadow brook or wantagh parkway. 10 minute drive to Jones beach.
Available Sept 1. (Current occupant is scheduled to leave on aug 26, so there is a possibility of early move in but cannot certify that.)
Housing is excellent for a single person

Can show the housing at following times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday (6:30-8pm) Weekends --> afternoon (~1pm - 5pm). Please email with your time preference or any questions regarding the location or housing. Sorry, cannot answer phone during the work hours.
Will verify job status or college enrollment
1 month security
Planning to stay atleast 6 months
Sorry - No Pets

8th avenue at 8th avenue and lenox avenue google map yahoo map

this is in or around East Meadow

I have a room for rent in a 4 bedroom house in Westbury, about 10 mins from NYCOM. Rent is only $425/month plus about 60-65 for utilities and cable/cable internet. House has a washer/dryer, dishwasher, driveway parking. The house is fully furnished except for the room that is for rent. The house is 1 minute from the highway, less than 10 min from Roosevelt Field Mall and the Source Mall.

The room will be available in August before school starts for the year. Currently there are 3 guys living there so we'd prefer a guy, but we're not excluding the ladies.

If interested, send me a PM.

nvshelat said:

ah, yes.

so, the velvet underground (band lou reed was in) was an andy warhol creation, and part of the Factory, which was a big social and artistic experiment. the song is about a number of other people big in the Factory, who were both personalities and appeared in a number of warhol's films. "take a walk on the wild side" refers to the counter cultural aspects of these characters, in three cases, their cross dressing, in one, his sex work, and in a few, their drug use.

Specifically:

Holly = transvestite actress Holly Woodlawn, star of Andy Warhol's Trash (1970) Woodlawn is still acting, most notably in Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss (1998) with Sean Hayes of Will & Grace
F.L.A.= Florida
he was a she = he became a woman

Candy = Candy Darling, a transvestite actress in Andy Warhol films. Lou Reed also wrote "Candy Says" about her in 1969
the Island = Long Island, NY

Little Joe = nickname of actor Joe Dallesandro, who appeared in Warhol's films Trash, Flesh, and Heat, also a hustler.

Sugar Plum Fairy = nickname of Warhol actor Joe Campbell

Jackie = Jackie Curtis, another transvestite actress in Warhol films
speeding away = double meaning: going fast in a car/high on speed (amphetamines) or other similar drug

When I was at the open house in November, my tour guide made a comment about next years AOA convention being in Vegas. He made it seem like everyone from NYCOM goes. Anyone know if this is true, or have any info on it?

Stratus2675 said:
When I was at the open house in November, my tour guide made a comment about next years AOA convention being in Vegas. He made it seem like everyone from NYCOM goes. Anyone know if this is true, or have any info on it?

mmmmmmmmmmm..........veeeegasssss

speaking of conferences, anyone know if they're ok with missing a day or two of classes for one? the harm reduction conference is this fall, and i really want to go again...the last one was great.

noonday said:

speaking of conferences, anyone know if they're ok with missing a day or two of classes for one? the harm reduction conference is this fall, and i really want to go again...the last one was great.

OK...I'll bite...Harm Reduction Conference?

Stratus2675 said:
OK...I'll bite...Harm Reduction Conference?

harm reduction is a way of interacting with clients/patients/friends/self that applies to all sorts of things, from substance use to managing an abusive relationship to minimizing risk in sexual relationships to people who exercize too much for their own good. basically, it's a alternate way to work with people who engage in some sort of unhealthful activity.

the basis of HR is the acceptance of everyone involved that people (again, clients/patients/friends/self) don't change unless they want to, and even if they want to, until they are ready to change. that the motive force has to come from the individual, not any external like a doctor telling the what to do. it is the anti-intervention. it is the anti-12-step-abstinence model. it's based on prochaska's "stages of behavior change," which i reccommend highly. basically, people are at some stage in the cycle (with relapse as a natural and accepted part of it) and all a practicioner can do is to try help the person move to the next step. sometimes that is giving them referrals to rehab, if that's where they are and what they want (and not just what they think you want them to want), and sometimes that's asking open ended, non-judging questions about what they are doing, because just articulating it out loud without the need for the inherent defensiveness that comes from discussing "risky" behavior with someone who you know thinks it's bad can help people to start to see their self-destruction, and that's the first step. or there's the person who doesn't really know all the risks, and you teach them about it. basically, you never say to someone "you know, i'm a doctor, and i'm telling you X is bad for you. you need to stop that."

in addition, when it comes to disease/health risk, there's the "action" component, where in one helps people to find safer ways to keep doing the behavior, so that while the behavior is the same, the risk of health effects is less. that is, a reduction in the secondary harm from the activity. with injection drug use, that's clean needles and supplies, vein care education, overdose prevention education, etc. with sex that's alternate practices, barrier use, negotiation strategies, etc. and it can be applied to just about anything.

it's really empowering for the client, and a lot of these behaviors develop because people feel powerless and/or lack other coping strategies. just becasue i don't suggest cutting down or rehab to every client doesn't mean that i'm not trying to help them be healthy. i'm just recognizing their own rights and power to make their own decisions, and often the act of that can really help them help themselves.

noonday said:

Just ask your group who will be fine with it and then tell Ron (Portanova) who will scowl and let you go. I missed a bunch of classes last year for conferences. Some people think its better not to deal with the negative energy of telling Ron at all. Just make sure your not missing a major test (though some folks missed quizes last year). I actually have to miss the whole first week of school for a conference this year.

Oh yeah, rumor has it that Ross Lee left so she can get in position to be surgeon general if Clinton wins the presidency. Scandalis (again this is just rumor) is just interim Dean until they can conduct a search for a permenant one.

Lastly forget about your social life. Its called the library. You'll get used to it tho.

DONT buy any books. No one checks with a list to see if you have them.

If you are in the lecture track, you will probably NEVER need or want to open a book. If you do, the library will have it the one time you want it.

If you are in DPC, congradulations, your in DPC. You are going to want to buy every book ever published on medicine and it wont be enough. This is a LOT of books. Wait until school starts so you can look at your upperclassmens books and see what you want. There at least 4 good $100 physiology books, which different people prefer, but you only really need one. This goes for most of the other topics, even including OMM. If you HAVE to spend money on something, I would buy Thiems Color Atlas of Pathophysiology or one of the big physio texts.

a couple books on the list you probably dont want to buy (or at least really wait to see them and make up your mind in person), include:
-Digiovannas OMM book,
-any pharmacology texts Dr Hutak is pushing (unless she finaly started using Goodman and Gilman),
-Netters anatomy (Yukochi and Thiem are both far superior)

Get Yukochi's atlas when you start dissection. I have grants and thieme's as well, and Yukochi is better for studying for the practical. But you are starting dissection in like 6 months, so no rush. I say that pharm is best studied form Hutak's notes, since that is all she asks, studying any other book is good for the boards but is a complete waste of time for class so why bother.

endAIDScom said:
DONT buy any books. No one checks with a list to see if you have them.

If you are in the lecture track, you will probably NEVER need or want to open a book. If you do, the library will have it the one time you want it.

If you are in DPC, congradulations, your in DPC. You are going to want to buy every book ever published on medicine and it wont be enough. This is a LOT of books. Wait until school starts so you can look at your upperclassmens books and see what you want. There at least 4 good $100 physiology books, which different people prefer, but you only really need one. This goes for most of the other topics, even including OMM. If you HAVE to spend money on something, I would buy Thiems Color Atlas of Pathophysiology or one of the big physio texts.

a couple books on the list you probably dont want to buy (or at least really wait to see them and make up your mind in person), include:
-Digiovannas OMM book,
-any pharmacology texts Dr Hutak is pushing (unless she finaly started using Goodman and Gilman),
-Netters anatomy (Yukochi and Thiem are both far superior)

thanks! that, and your other posts, are incredibly helpful.

Finally....our schedule is up.....its about time! Check the message board...

Timbo0984 said:
Finally....our schedule is up.....its about time! Check the message board...

Nice, schedule is up :thumbup:

Hey anyone else in the process of furnishing their apartment. Any suggestions on where to go for affordable stuff. I visited Ikea, check craiglist regularly, any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.