*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm going to nycom.. i am so excited.
27 y/o female from long island!!

Members don't see this ad.

Jack-sprat said:
Hi everyone, Congrads!!!

I have an interview at NYCOM on 2/2/06. I have been playing phone tag with a D.O. for a chance to shadow him and for a LOR. I am not sure I will be able to see him before my interview, so here's my question; was anyone accepted with out a letter from a D.O.?

I didn't have a letter from a D.O. I had two LORs from MDs who practice and teach at universities. It's possible to get in without a DO LOR.

Good luck!

:p <- I love that face!

Its about time you all heard some good news! :thumbup:
btw, Hunter, you forgot to add to your mini-biography that you know/speak Russian......good luck on your decision, they're both fantastic schools, you can;t lose!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've decided on NYCOM. :D
A lady who only spoke russian came up to me complaining she could not find a drug store and I gave her directions in russian. Either my pronounciation is really bad or she had mental problems because she just kept repeating "Gde apteka?" So I'll leave that out of the mini profile for now. :smuggrin:

yasha83 said:
Its about time you all heard some good news! :thumbup:
btw, Hunter, you forgot to add to your mini-biography that you know/speak Russian......good luck on your decision, they're both fantastic schools, you can;t lose!

Thanks Jellibelli and HunterGatherer,

I just finished (last semester) my undergraduate and will be getting a LOR from the pre-med committee of that school. In addition I participated in a summer medical education program (SMEP) in 2004 and have the certificate to show. Do you think this will suffice or should I try to get an LOR from an MD also?

i had problems validating the new bloatware "AIM Triton". Supposedly there are conflicts if you have an old version of NERO BURNING ROM or language support for windows in another language besides english. I have both.

You can download and use Trillian for free, no adds or spyware. You can use the interface to hook up to AIM,ICQ,IRC,Yahoo, and MSN messenger from this one application. This is how I resolved my problem.

http://www.download.com/Trillian/3000-2150-10047473.html?part=dl-trillian&subj=dl&tag=button

Jack-sprat said:

I just finished (last semester) my undergraduate and will be getting a LOR from the pre-med committee of that school. In addition I participated in a summer medical education program (SMEP) in 2004 and have the certificate to show. Do you think this will suffice or should I try to get an LOR from an MD also?

did the pre-med committee letter get sent to and received by NYCOM yet? If the committee letter was not sent yet then you should definitely shoot for that DO letter. My PM hopefully helps.

HunterGatherer said:
i had problems validating the new bloatware "AIM Triton". Supposedly there are conflicts if you have an old version of NERO BURNING ROM or language support for windows in another language besides english. I have both.

You can download and use Trillian for free, no adds or spyware. You can use the interface to hook up to AIM,ICQ,IRC,Yahoo, and MSN messenger from this one application. This is how I resolved my problem.

http://www.download.com/Trillian/3000-2150-10047473.html?part=dl-trillian&subj=dl&tag=button

I have been trying Triton ou recently, can't say it excites me....."bloatware" is the perfect description

HunterGatherer said:
did the pre-med committee letter get sent to and received by NYCOM yet? If the committee letter was not sent yet then you should definitely shoot for that DO letter. My PM hopefully helps.

I asked the head of the committee since 1/17/06 to send the letter. He is usually good with sending them out but I will comfirm with him and NYCOM tomorrow if it was sent and received respectively.

HunterGatherer,

Thanks for the advise via PM. I will try your recommendation(s) and let you know the out come.

Jack-sprat said:

THe LOR from the pre-med committee is important. It tells them how the profs think of you and how the head of the committee thinks of you. You may want to have the guy fax the letter over. Say something to the effect of "Hi. I'm so sorry to bother you but I have an interview soon with X school and they just notified me that I don't have any LORs!" I did that AFTER I had an interview and the administrator was such a sweetheart - he did it immediately.

As for a LOR from a MD/DO... that's pretty important, too. Under their requirements they state that they want a LOR from a DO "but it's not required." I assumed that they want a LOR from ANY physician you have worked with... but it does not have to be from a DO.

Can you get a letter from the SMEP coordinator saying something to the effect that you're awesome and responsible.. aka not a looney? That would be like the cherry on top of an icecream sundae.

Good luck! Get the premed LOR and definitely get a physician LOR!

:p

Does anyone know if we have a white coat ceremony during 1st year orientation? I saw some threads where NYCOM had the ceremony after 2nd year and one post mentioning they had the ceremony before first year.

HunterGatherer said:
Does anyone know if we have a white coat ceremony during 1st year orientation? I saw some threads where NYCOM had the ceremony after 2nd year and one post mentioning they had the ceremony before first year.

one of my tours, an MS-I had one on, so by that I assume first year we get it, but not too sure

From what I was told the white coat ceremony is after year II (we also get our PDAs then). The tour guides had the white coats but it wasnt theirs to keep- I saw them returning it to the admissions office after the tours.

Just a side note: I just wanted to introduce myself: I am a 22 year old female Brooklynite who graduated from college last spring with a major in English. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I was accepted to NYCOM back in early January, and I've finally made my way onto this forum :rolleyes: Congrats to everyone who's made it so far!! I look forward to meeting you all in person.

My deposit's in, and though I'm still waiting to hear back from quite a few schools, as of now, I'm a NYCOM-bound also! Woohoo 2010!

Shenningdo and Mike2010 -- when did you both interview? I interviewed on 12/13 and I have a feeling at least one of you were amongst the 7 of us there that day :)

FYI, I'm a 24 year old Univ of Pennsylvania graduate living in Philadelphia currently, working in clinical research, looking forward to being back in my hometown!! I grew up in Little Neck, Queens :cool:

Marimba82 said:
Hello all! I was accepted to NYCOM back in early January, and I've finally made my way onto this forum :rolleyes: Congrats to everyone who's made it so far!! I look forward to meeting you all in person.

My deposit's in, and though I'm still waiting to hear back from quite a few schools, as of now, I'm a NYCOM-bound also! Woohoo 2010!

Shenningdo and Mike2010 -- when did you both interview? I interviewed on 12/13 and I have a feeling at least one of you were amongst the 7 of us there that day :)

FYI, I'm a 24 year old Univ of Pennsylvania graduate living in Philadelphia currently, working in clinical research, looking forward to being back in my hometown!! I grew up in Little Neck, Queens :cool:

I interviewed on 12/13 as well! I was the first to be interviewed that day, and I was interviewed by a man who reminded me of Meatloaf, the singer :). I remember you! Congratulations on your acceptance! When you decide 100% that you will be a future classmate of ours, shoot me a pm with your name, email address, and AIM name, so we can get you on the ever-growing contact list. Congratulations again! It is so great to hear that day was successful for someone else, too!

I live in Little Neck, where did you grow up? This would've prob made a good PM, oh well, next time.

repeat post... I am such a novice at this posting business.

Hello Fellow Classmates and Colleagues,

My name is Jessica and I am so excited! I interviewed at NYCOM Dec. 7th, thought I had a terrible interview with an ALLOPATHIC DOCTOR who didn't speak much English.... acceptance letter a couple weeks later.

NYCOM was my first choice, so I withdrew all other applications and sent in the deposit. I am 21, graduating from SUNY Geneseo this May with a BA in Political Science :cool: . I'm from central NY (near Utica). I've known I was going to be a doctor since I was 15. I love the art of medicine and the challenge of it.

I only applied to Osteopathic schools (it's the wave of the future, and it is going to be HUGE, it is such a better approach). I have a best friend who just got accepted at Drexel in Philadelphia, and we have indepth discussions about which is better.

I am excited to get to know some of you before classes begin.... :laugh:

So, is there a final list for those of you on here who got in? Or an AIM list or something. My AIM name is JEdoublSizzle.

I'm babbling. CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!

JBear1327 said:
Hello Fellow Classmates and Colleagues,

My name is Jessica and I am so excited! I interviewed at NYCOM Dec. 7th, thought I had a terrible interview with an ALLOPATHIC DOCTOR who didn't speak much English.... acceptance letter a couple weeks later.

NYCOM was my first choice, so I withdrew all other applications and sent in the deposit. I am 21, graduating from SUNY Geneseo this May with a BA in Political Science :cool: . I'm from central NY (near Utica). I've known I was going to be a doctor since I was 15. I love the art of medicine and the challenge of it.

I only applied to Osteopathic schools (it's the wave of the future, and it is going to be HUGE, it is such a better approach). I have a best friend who just got accepted at Drexel in Philadelphia, and we have indepth discussions about which is better.

I am excited to get to know some of you before classes begin.... :laugh:

So, is there a final list for those of you on here who got in? Or an AIM list or something. My AIM name is JEdoublSizzle.

I'm babbling. CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!

Check your pm box for the information on the contact list!! Congratulations again!

Apply for the PBL - We'll do better on the boards, we start rotations second semester, we get TONS of one on one attention from the best and newest proffessors at the school and you get a cadre of the highest acheiving applicants at the school to study and drink with.

You want to talk about boring? Try being in a lecture hall 10 hours a day with 300 people hours a day watching Friedman lecture on another subject that's "really not my topic" with binoculars.

The only downside is you have to buy some books.

The school's gym actualy isn't that bad if you can make the hours work.

Anyone here apply with an MCAT <24 and get accepted? If so, what was your MCAT and GPA. Please let me knwo, thanks.

Timbo0984 said:
Anyone here apply with an MCAT <24 and get accepted? If so, what was your MCAT and GPA. Please let me knwo, thanks.

JO300 supposedly did. He's probably lurking but shoot him a PM. Hopefully you'll get more than just complaints about NYCOM. ;)

You don't need any books for the lecture based curriculum. You can honor just using the notes.

We do one day a week in a GP practice starting in Feb and running until the end of second year.
Rotations starting early is a good thing, something the other students are jealous of us for. I spend more time studying with friends than most of my lecture based friends do, so no it's not lonley unless you prefer studying alone.

This is only an experiment for NYCOM. All the top allopathic schools are PBL now, and when OSU started their program (which was also administrated by our current vice dean Portanova) their board scores went up by 3 points vs the lecture based students.

You will study more (because you have to perform every day) than folks in lecture based who only have to cram for a couple weeks before tests. I probably spend 6 hours a day studying (non-class time) and have one day off on the weekends. If the idea of studying more turns you off, this is the wrong program for you. BUT we learn a lot more medicine than the lecture based students.

Most of the time, being in the PBL is like being in a totally different (and better) school.

HunterGatherer said:
Starting rotations 2nd semester of 1st year?

These rotations are not the 3rd year clerkships for Lecture based curriculum?
endAIDScom said:
Apply for the PBL - we start rotations second semesterQUOTE]

2 Questions:

(1) Is NYCOM a 'bottom ranked' ostepathic school?

(2) How difficult is it to get into the PBL program? Not that I should be asking bc I haven't even gotten in to NYCOM yet, but just curious. What do they look at? Your application again, but only selecting the "best"?

Thanks!
nvshelat

endAIDScom said:
You don't need any books for the lecture based curriculum. You can honor just using the notes.

We do one day a week in a GP practice starting in Feb and running until the end of second year.
Rotations starting early is a good thing, something the other students are jealous of us for. I spend more time studying with friends than most of my lecture based friends do, so no it's not lonley unless you prefer studying alone.

This is only an experiment for NYCOM. All the top allopathic schools are PBL now, and when OSU started their program (which was also administrated by our current vice dean Portanova) their board scores went up by 3 points vs the lecture based students.

You will study more (because you have to perform every day) than folks in lecture based who only have to cram for a couple weeks before tests. I probably spend 6 hours a day studying (non-class time) and have one day off on the weekends. If the idea of studying more turns you off, this is the wrong program for you. BUT we learn a lot more medicine than the lecture based students.

Being in the PBL feels a lot more like being in a mid-ranked allopathic school than a bottom ranked osteopathic school.

HunterGatherer said:
Starting rotations 2nd semester of 1st year?

These rotations are not the 3rd year clerkships for Lecture based curriculum?

nvshelat said:
2 Questions:

(1) Is NYCOM a 'bottom ranked' ostepathic school?

(2) How difficult is it to get into the PBL program? Not that I should be asking bc I haven't even gotten in to NYCOM yet, but just curious. What do they look at? Your application again, but only selecting the "best"?

Thanks!
nvshelat

endAIDScom said:

Being in the PBL feels a lot more like being in a mid-ranked allopathic school than a bottom ranked osteopathic school.

Yea, I got this as a PM and I was really put off of NYCOM. It was in response to questions I asked about their PBL curriculum. I thought that that comment about it being a bottom ranked osteopathic school was ridiculous, why would anyone knowingly go there if that was a fact? Didn't even make sense to me.... I didn't think it was a bottom ranked osteopathic school at all, I thought it was one of the best (obviously, that's why I chose to go there). Really great location for building connections with affiliated hospitals, streaming lectures, PBL, STAN, etc. And, in regards to your second question, I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for. I think they only take 40, but I could be wrong (??)

I heard they take 40 people. You need to write an essay. I dropped off my deposit today and was told that more info on the DPC is coming out to us in the comming months.

HunterGatherer said:
I heard they take 40 people. You need to write an essay. I dropped off my deposit today and was told that more info on the DPC is coming out to us in the comming months.

Did they tell you anything about financial aid? They didn't send anything to me :confused:

The Ambassodors at my interview stated that the school had a free kaplan step 1 program last year for NYCOM students because of an arrangement made with Carribean students. Any idea if this will be done in 2006 and in future years? Thanks!

endAIDScom said:
Apply for the PBL - We'll do better on the boards, we start rotations second semester, we get TONS of one on one attention from the best and newest proffessors at the school and you get a cadre of the highest acheiving applicants at the school to study and drink with.

You want to talk about boring? Try being in a lecture hall 10 hours a day with 300 people hours a day listening to Friedman while your tuition goes to pay for the PBL curriculum.
Bold statements. Better on boards? I bet you and your closest, sharpest study partner, dinner at Le Bernardin. Lowest step1 score picks up the tab. If you have confidence in your curriculum, your early clinical experience, and your comrades this should be a worthwhile offer.

beastmaster said:
Bold statements. Better on boards? I bet you and your closest, sharpest study partner, dinner at Le Bernardin. Lowest step1 score picks up the tab. If you have confidence in your curriculum, your early clinical experience, and your comrades this should be a worthwhile offer.

Is that the restaurant on Glen cove road? Is the food pretty good? I was thinking that may be a celebration spot for me. Do they have Steak Tartare, Steak Frites, escargot bourgignon, Tuna Nicoise, and pate au poivre?

No, midtown. Most expensive place I could think off while writing the post. I'm unfamiliar with glen cove cuisine. For a celebration spot I say find some unconventional spot in the city. If the snails ain't upto par atleast the atmosphere will be celebrational.

L'Express is good for food price wise and Steak frites in union square. But I guess you are looking at expensive places. ;)

I need to hit Blue Ribbon & Les Halles before school starts.

any comments on the step 1 prep at NYCOM I posted above?

beastmaster said:
No, midtown. Most expensive place I could think off while writing the post. I'm unfamiliar with glen cove cuisine. For a celebration spot I say find some unconventional spot in the city. If the snails ain't upto par atleast the atmosphere will be celebrational.

JBear1327 said:
Did they tell you anything about financial aid? They didn't send anything to me :confused:

I spoke to Tom in the Financial aid office and he said that the info will be sent out around April.

HunterGatherer said:
The Ambassodors at my interview stated that the school had a free kaplan step 1 program last year for NYCOM students because of an arrangement made with Carribean students. Any idea if this will be done in 2006 and in future years? Thanks!
They are trying to continue the arrangement. Did the ambassador tell you whether it was a full lecture based ordeal or did they just hand out books?

From what he explained It was lecture based for one of the carribean schools and NYCOM students were able to attend for free. There was not a mention of books. I can email my ambassador for more info and post here if you'd like. He was a second year so his info was second hand.

Tried to get info on the NBOME. Did searches on google and on the site and PM'd some people. I have one more person to hit up though.

beastmaster said:
They are trying to continue the arrangement. Did the ambassador tell you whether it was a full lecture based ordeal or did they just hand out books?

HunterGatherer said:
From what he explained It was lecture based for one of the carribean schools and NYCOM students were able to attend for free. There was not a mention of books. I can email my ambassador for more info and post here if you'd like. He was a second year so his info was second hand.

Tried to get info on the NBOME. Did searches on google and on the site and PM'd some people. I have one more person to hit up though.

based on what was said in a recent dean's meeting with the 1st years, they will be continuing this program for us, so chances are you guys will get it also. and i think we are getting books, because i remember getting an e-mail stating that we shouldn't buy kaplan books from the previous years b/c we'll be getting them... or something like that - i apparently sent that e-mail to the trash a little too quickly. can any other e-mail pack-rat 1st years check and confirm that?
otherwise i'll ask around and i'll get back to you on that.

I think the first year program is systems based. Is biochem,pharm,immino,behavioral, and cell bio integrated into the system based lecture from the start of first year? Seems like it would be hard to do and easier to keep them seperate. Thanks.

HunterGatherer said:
I think the first year program is systems based. Is biochem,pharm,immino,behavioral, and cell bio integrated into the system based lecture from the start of first year? Seems like it would be hard to do and easier to keep them seperate. Thanks.

I was told that within each system, all of those subjects will be covered, as they pertain to that given system.

HunterGatherer said:

histo, biochem, pharm, physio, anat, embryo, genetics and micro have been broken up and distributed among the different systems, and although most of the time they flow pretty well with the system at hand, some of the topics that come up seem a little out of place. but i'm sure it's not easy to find a home for every topic that needs to be covered, and all in all it doesn't happen that much and it's not a big issue. they'll probably fix it up a little better for you guys anyway.

immuno was pretty much taught all together in the hematology/immunology system. the immuno course really could hold up as it's own system though, and the prof that teaches it has been here forever and is very good. you might get more of one topic in a particular system than in the others according to relevance - e.g. in our heme/immuno system we got a ton of micro, etc. i think most of behavioral will be covered with our neuro system, which we're plowing through right now.

there are some mixed feelings about dividing up some courses, like anatomy, so it'll be interesting to see how they tweak it for you guys. but overall i think the systems based curriculum is really a positive change and it just makes more sense. just my $.02.

btw, congrats to all of u~! :thumbup:

I made a bad assumption that anatomy would be taught straight through! :scared:

What is the schedule for teaching gross anatomy to your class?

Previously the first year was basic sciences and the second was integrated systems. Is your class spreading all of the systems out over 2 years?

dr.aldehyde said:
there are some mixed feelings about dividing up some courses, like anatomy, so it'll be interesting to see how they tweak it for you guys. but overall i think the systems based curriculum is really a positive change and it just makes more sense. just my $.02.

btw, congrats to all of u~! :thumbup:

Hey guys, I was wondering when you guys were going to start looking for apartments. I'm trying to decide whether to stay at home or get a apartment in LI. When filing the FAFSA do we file a renewal or just a new one?

Well my name is Tricia I'm senior at Syracuse University and I'm very excited about going to NYCOM. I grew up NYC and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. I applied to 2 DO schools and 3 carib schools and what I've learned about this whole process is staying true to yourself and that pre-med advisiors are Evil.

Congrats! I hope your name is in reference to the great nintendo series.

lilzelda said:
Hey guys, I was wondering when you guys were going to start looking for apartments. I'm trying to decide whether to stay at home or get a apartment in LI. When filing the FAFSA do we file a renewal or just a new one?

Well my name is Tricia I'm senior at Syracuse University and I'm very excited about going to NYCOM. I grew up NYC and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. I applied to 2 DO schools and 3 carib schools and what I've learned about this whole process is staying true to yourself and that pre-med advisiors are Evil.

HunterGatherer said:
If you are in the NY area check out the exhibit BODY WORLDS:
http://www.koerperwelten.de/en/pages/plastination.asp

buy tickets:
http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncom...bal-franklin&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

It's at the Southstreet Seaport until about April. I think you can see an IMAX show with some of the tickets.

A thread on SDN:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=247449&highlight=body+worlds

I haven't read the SDN thread about Body worlds yet, but FYI, actually the "real" Body Worlds exhibit is on display right now in PHILADELPHIA at the Franklin Institute Science Museum (on through April 2006). I went a few months ago and it is simply incredible, scientifically and artistically. This exhibit in Philadelphia is the actual exhibit of the specimen made by Gunther Von Hagens, the man who created the process of plastination. I believe the NYC /South Street Seaport exhibit is a little different b/c it is not Gunther von Hagens who made those bodies, it is another individual who used the same technique of plastination. I heard some controversy a while back that the bodies used in the NYC exhibit were un-consented, un-informed, un-willing former Chinese prisoners, but I am not sure of the facts surrounding that.

Anyway come to PHILLY! :))

endAIDScom said:

Do PBL students have access to the same online notes as the lecture-only students?

endAIDScom said:

If you are doing one day a week of clinical work more than the lecture-only students, that's great experience and early hands-on experience, but that is not *rotations* is it?

endAIDScom said:

Most (or "all the top") allopathic schools probably incorporate PBL in varying degrees to their curriculum, but that's not what NYCOM is trying. NYCOM's program involves PBL ONLY. That's a huge difference from having BOTH lecture and PBL on the side/interspersed. The "experiment" is in trying to have PBL only. I think many MD schools right now have both lecture and PBL but how many have tried a curriculum of PBL only? Does anyone know?

endAIDScom said:
BUT we learn a lot more medicine than the lecture based students.

I can see why PBL teaches you more medicine. But from what I hear, the boards test mostly basic science , facts, and concepts. Is the breadth of material covered in PBL as good as the depth?
Any (real, non-sarcastic) insight would be very helpful :) Thanks!

HunterGatherer said:
Congrats! I hope your name is in reference to the great nintendo series.

LOL YEAH IT IS, ZELDA ROCKS (WELL LINK DOES AS WELL)

are u guys going to study anything in particular b4 school starts, someone told me i should take biochem b4 med school, do u guys have any advice?

That was the most amazing scientific exhibit I have ever seen, I went with a friend of mine who is an MS-I when I was in Chicago, and she said what makes it all the more amazing is how phenominal the dissections are, it is an art in itself. Being a first year anatomy student butchering some cadavers makes you appreciate just how good these specimens really are.

lilzelda said:
LOL YEAH IT IS, ZELDA ROCKS (WELL LINK DOES AS WELL)

are u guys going to study anything in particular b4 school starts, someone told me i should take biochem b4 med school, do u guys have any advice?

Hey lilzelda! What day did you interview? I interviewed the second week of Jan, too. Maybe we met? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.