*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup, all the systems are spread out over the 2 years for us...
we actually just started dissecting in jan (at the beginning of this system) and we had 2 labs (1x per week for 2 weeks) so far dissecting the back. prior to this, anatomy labs were osteology labs (looking at bones), and no dissection. i think that's how it's gonna be for us - a couple of anatomy dissection labs at the start of each system. it has it's +'s & -'s, and who knows, maybe they'll change it for you guys next year...

HunterGatherer said:
I made a bad assumption that anatomy would be taught straight through! :scared:

What is the schedule for teaching gross anatomy to your class?

Previously the first year was basic sciences and the second was integrated systems. Is your class spreading all of the systems out over 2 years?

Members don't see this ad.

jellibelli said:
Hey lilzelda! What day did you interview? I interviewed the second week of Jan, too. Maybe we met? :p

I interview on 1/10 at 11am :)

OK I think I have reached the end of the internet. Thanks for all of the info. We'll see how NYCOM tweaks things for us. I guess I can stop worrying about getting crushed in Gross Anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up everybody...I'm attending NYCOM in the fall as well, sent in my deposit almost a month ago. Just wanted to start getting to know some of my future classmates before we get to work in August so feel free to drop a line on AIM or whatever. Speaking of August, anybody want to predict the date orientation will start. Any inside info would be appreciated. It's probably too early though. I'm going to spend the summer on the beach and I'm trying to decide about when I should be prepared to be ready for school...

When dropping off my deposit I was told:
tenantive start of orientation Aug 21st
Tentative start of class Aug 28th

moonlightgraham said:
What's up everybody...I'm attending NYCOM in the fall as well, sent in my deposit almost a month ago. Just wanted to start getting to know some of my future classmates before we get to work in August so feel free to drop a line on AIM or whatever. Speaking of August, anybody want to predict the date orientation will start. Any inside info would be appreciated. It's probably too early though. I'm going to spend the summer on the beach and I'm trying to decide about when I should be prepared to be ready for school...

dr.aldehyde -- why do you think are the plusses and minuses of spreading out Gross Anatomy over two years and dividing it by system? I am looking forward to that type of a curriculum, but i am interested to hear what you and other current NYCOM students like and don't like about the new way of dividing up Anatomy.

moonlightgraham -- i LOVE your name :) Is that from Field of Dreams? That's one of my favorite movies :love: Btw, congrats and welcome!
Based on the old copy of the Student Handbook that's on the NYCOM website, i think last year they started around Aug 23rd. But it could be different this summer, who knows. Any current NYCOM student might know more about that....?

lilzelda -- it might be easier to live at home, depending on how far home is from Old Westbury. It could save you about $10K ! Where is home?

Yes, moonlightgraham is from Field of Dreams, very good! It is a great movie. I've been calling myself that name since undergrad when my baseball career ended and I began to focus on becoming a doctor. If you remember the character in the movie, he loved baseball and wished he could have played it for a living but ends up becoming a doctor. Amazing dialgoue relating to this throughout...go watch it if you have it, you'll appreciate what I'm talking about all the more!

Hi-

My name is Shannon, and I am also a committed NYCOM student for the fall. I have compiled a list of currently commited students for our class that includes our names, email addresses, and AIM names. If you would like access to the list and your information to be added to the list, shoot me a pm with the information and I will send it on over. I am also planning social get togethers all in NYC once a month until we start school, so we can get to know each other, find potential roommates, study groups, and friends, and just get excited about our future. You should also check out our MySpace group that another classmate, Jess, has put together for us! Congratulations on your acceptance! I really look forward to hearing from and meeting all of you!

-Shannon

My name is Andrea and I too will be joining you next fall at NYCOM. I interviewed the first week of January and sent my deposit in this week. I currently live in Manhattan and have been out of school for 5 years doing clinical and lab research at a hospital in the city.

I'm looking forward to starting school again next year and meeting all of my fellow classmates.

Does anyone know if many NYCOM students commute from Manhattan?

Most people live around the school and a small amount live in Brooklyn and Queens. I have not heard of anyone commuting from the other 3 boroughs but i'm sure there are some. The LIE can be tough so comming from Manhattan might give you a 1+ hour trip one way if driving.

I'm sure it could be done short term but in the winter months it could suck if it is a snowy season.

congrats! See you soon.

ark1212 said:
My name is Andrea and I too will be joining you next fall at NYCOM. I interviewed the first week of January and sent my deposit in this week. I currently live in Manhattan and have been out of school for 5 years doing clinical and lab research at a hospital in the city.

I'm looking forward to starting school again next year and meeting all of my fellow classmates.

Does anyone know if many NYCOM students commute from Manhattan?

hey marimba - don't get me wrong, the curriculum overall is great now that it's systems based, and some of the good things about spreading out the anatomy is that 1. we don't get overwhelmed with too much anat at one time and 2. we'll be able to visualize and reorient ourselves with the cavaders with each system over the course of 2 years. however, there's a part of me that would have liked to explore the human body in it's entirety/get a sense of how things connect overall right off the bat... b/c it's like putting together a puzzle - it's a little easier when you have a good idea of what the puzzle is supposed to look like when you're trying to make the pieces fit, ya know? and the other thing is that when you're dissecting, the systems based approach doesn't exactly apply since you're running into other structures and you can't just disregard them just because they're not "part of the system." that's probably my top 2 pros and cons, hope that helps~

Marimba82 said:
dr.aldehyde -- why do you think are the plusses and minuses of spreading out Gross Anatomy over two years and dividing it by system? I am looking forward to that type of a curriculum, but i am interested to hear what you and other current NYCOM students like and don't like about the new way of dividing up Anatomy.

moonlightgraham -- i LOVE your name :) Is that from Field of Dreams? That's one of my favorite movies :love: Btw, congrats and welcome!
Based on the old copy of the Student Handbook that's on the NYCOM website, i think last year they started around Aug 23rd. But it could be different this summer, who knows. Any current NYCOM student might know more about that....?

lilzelda -- it might be easier to live at home, depending on how far home is from Old Westbury. It could save you about $10K ! Where is home?

Just found this thread. Nice that ppl are so firiendly, we are new yorkers afterall.

Anyways, i interviewed there 12/1. Got in around xmas. Just plunked down the depo, and got that letter saying they got it. Why dont they deposit it already!

I am 23 (last week), male, married, and have a little me running around somewhere. live in brooklyn.

Dreading the commute next year. Anyone else commuting from brooklyn next year? I may lease a car and just realized that the mileage is going to be a problem. Good thing the lectures are streamed.

This is kind of exciting, we are going to be classmates and eventually doctors (well 90% of us at least).

BTW, i just posted this in the DO thread.

Does anyone know if there is a summer thing at nycom??? I think i heard something about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
look at the name of the OP. What's up with you skiiers? I'm not sure if you are able to take it unless they offer it to you.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=179166&highlight=nycom+medprep

a few posts about medprep start at post #141 on page 6 or so
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169459&page=6&pp=25&highlight=nycom+medprep

I followed the 2009 thread last year and some people mentioned they were able to get the T.H.E. loan
http://www.northstar.org/Med/default.aspx

Ski2Doc said:
BTW, i just posted this in the DO thread.

Does anyone know if there is a summer thing at nycom??? I think i heard something about it.

Thanks for the links.

However, it really doesnt make sense that they would offer it to weak students. Do they have problems getting NOT weak students? Why take ppl that they feel are weak.

Anyways, i guess it is pointless to take unless maybe you ve been out of school for a long time or something.

Anyways thanks for the reply.

BTW - Did an1 get any letters about finaid?

Ski2Doc said:
Thanks for the links.

However, it really doesnt make sense that they would offer it to weak students. Do they have problems getting NOT weak students? Why take ppl that they feel are weak.

Anyways, i guess it is pointless to take unless maybe you ve been out of school for a long time or something.

Anyways thanks for the reply.

BTW - Did an1 get any letters about finaid?

Financial aid packets will be going out in april.

Marimba82 said:
Do PBL students have access to the same online notes as the lecture-only students?

We do, but they come out weekly based on what the lecture based folks are studying. Occasionally this happens to be what you are studying, but most of the time it's not. And I am more likely to watch a lecture on something (previous years lectures are available) than go find the notes, as Harrisons is more searchable and quoteable than the notes are.

It remains to be seen if we will get internal med credit for the clincal hours. The're going to let us know by the end of the school year.

Most (or "all the top") allopathic schools probably incorporate PBL in varying degrees to their curriculum, but that's not what NYCOM is trying. NYCOM's program involves PBL ONLY. That's a huge difference from having BOTH lecture and PBL on the side/interspersed. The "experiment" is in trying to have PBL only. I think many MD schools right now have both lecture and PBL but how many have tried a curriculum of PBL only? Does anyone know?

It does depend on the school. We can, however attend lectures if we want, and our clinical course has a strong lecture component. Also, we can request lectures on topics we are having trouble with, and are given a few on topics they think are problematic (we got lectures in action potential propigation and pharmacological clearance, and requested a couple lectures on radiology)

It's true, you can prepare quite well for the boards using the lecture notes.
But the PBL is more fun, helps you make more contacts, and better prepares you for rotations.

Incidentaly, when I said we were second worst, it was from an unconfirmed rumor (still trying to track down the supposed literature source) that the class of 2006 was second worst only to UNCOM on the COMLEX I. That said, they had the benfit of the old lecture based curriculum, and Dean Ross-Lee has made a lot of changes (and brought in a lot of great new faculty) that will benefit the classes of 2009 and 2010.

Oh and don't let anyone talk you into wasting money on Netter's anatomy, The whole Theime atlas will be out by the time you gals start anatomy and it's FAR superior.

So we probably aren't anywhere near the second worst anymore. :thumbup:

beastmaster said:
Bold statements. Better on boards? I bet you and your closest, sharpest study partner, dinner at Le Bernardin. Lowest step1 score picks up the tab. If you have confidence in your curriculum, your early clinical experience, and your comrades this should be a worthwhile offer.

Beastmaster, you wouldn't be offering that bet if you knew what my MCATs were like, but I'm finicky and happen not to like french food. And I can't afford dinner for 1 at le benardin, much less 2.

How about beer and a burger at the BP? Or the new edition of G&G?

Regarding PBL. Is it worth the risk? it IS afterall an experimental program, with no defintite results. I am really wary about being the first here (at least in the bgeinning stages of the program)

It is, by far, more interesting than LBL no doubt.

Regarding the better prep for clinicals. does it really matter? The goal of the first 2 years, mainly, is to do well on step1. PERIOD. That score hugely determines your residency placement. Ofcoarse being a d*ck during your rotations will hurt you, but the LBL gives you patient interaction prep. Given you will still be very green in your first few weeks of roations but i think its worth THAT to get a better score on step 1.

Anyone?

NYCOM class of 2010 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So psyched!!! I must have been one of the most annoying SDN'ers , but it was well worth it. Glad to be a party of the NYCOM family. I know you guys are planning a get together - and i wanted to suggest a saki bombing and sushi in the city. Let us know what your opinion is.

Timbo0984 said:
NYCOM class of 2010 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So psyched!!! I must have been one of the most annoying SDN'ers , but it was well worth it. Glad to be a party of the NYCOM family. I know you guys are planning a get together - and i wanted to suggest a saki bombing and sushi in the city. Let us know what your opinion is.

Congratulations! The first get together has already been scheduled, but I am more than happy to take suggestions for the remaining get togethers we will have once a month. A saki bombing and sushi in the city sounds fantastic! Send me some suggestions on places, and I will work out the details, no problem! Thanks for the suggestion! Congratulations again.

HunterGatherer said:
saki bombing? just drinking a lot of saki right?

You are so asking the wrong person. I can't find a single alcoholic drink I can stand for more than a sip, so I have never been drinking to an excess :). Ask Timbo, it was his idea :)!

I've never had Saki before, which is suprising given the epic levels and partying and alcohol consumption that characterized my undergrad years. I really like sushi though and would def try Sake, so I would be down for doing anything when we all meet up. As for the 'bombing' ( I assume thats drinking alot), I still drink a little once in a while but I have retired from getting drunk (except for very special occasions). I'm looking forward to meeting everyone ill be spending he next 4 years with. A little fun before the intesity sets in.

On another note,, My deposit cleared the bank today. I wonder when theyll send us some more infomation.

Did anybody put their parents info on their fafsa?

Saki Bomb is that like a Jagerbomb but with Saki?

Ditto on my check clearing! It's about time, because I've been really tempted to spend that money.
Sushi sounds good to me, however if saki bombing has anything to do with dropping a shot of liquor in saki and chugging, i think i'm gonna have to pass on that part! I'll just take the shot, and leave the saki for someone else. :)

I was also wondering about putting my parents on my fafsa. I currently live at home, but come august I will be completely independent of my parents. Any insight would be appreciated

During the financial aid presentation we were told NYCOM's students are indepedent for financial aid considerations regardless of age.

If you plan to pay for everything(housing,tuition,etc.) with just savings/work, grants, stafford loans, perkins loans, and private loans then you do not need to enter parental info.

All title VII loans need parent info regardless of student age/marital status.
Scholarship for Disadvantage students
Loans for Disadvantaged students
Primary Care Loan
Maybe there are others but those were on the list

KateGia said:
I was also wondering about putting my parents on my fafsa. I currently live at home, but come august I will be completely independent of my parents. Any insight would be appreciated

I wouldn't put the parent info on there if you don't have to, although with NYCOM i guess it doesnt matter. The new York state requirements for independance are more stringent than the federal ones. Your parents income will work against you for the TAP grant, even if you won't see any of it, or it won't be used for medical school in any way. Thank god FAFSA is more reasonable.

Whats up guys, I got the DPC application packet today from NYCOM and after looking through it I have dont think i'll be doing it, even though i was initially very interested. I just feel like it is a huge risk. I know I can excel in the traditional lecture based style and it is a time tested method so i might as well just go with it. I guess I have two main problems with the DPC. First, no-one has seemed to come up with any concrete numbers on how DPC student fair against lecture based students on the COMPLEX (if there were hard facts suggesting the same outcomes i would be swayed towards DPC i think). Second and more important to me is the student-driven aspect. I feel like to be in comfortable in the program you have to be confident in the talent and abilities of your peers in the program. I dont think the packet explains the facilitator's role well enough for me...
What do you guys think about the program?, It seems like if you can excel in it you will be better set up for the clinical years. I dont know.

I am glad you guys all like the sushi and saki bomb idea. Saki-bombing is taking a qaurter glass of sapporo japaense beer, and then dropping a saki cup filled with saki into. You then proceed to drink the whole thing. I know, it prob sounds awful, but it actually tastes preety good. If you have never done it before, it can't hurt to try one. Those of you who have had irish car bombs, saki bombs are nothing like that. Saki bombs a light. Car bombs make you vomit. See the difference. Regarding the NYCOM PBL program, I know for the first few weeks we will be together with the pbl kids so that should give us time to figure things out. I am confused myself but we shall see.

I'm in! NYCOM here I come! :D

HunterGatherer said:
Anyone have any clue what is done during the first full week of orientation and how much time we spend each day?

Orientation for us ran 9-3 with a break for lunch thrown in. Each day had tons of speakers plus information sessions. They really expound on the osteopathic philosophy and they also pair you with a second year who will be there to advise you. Anything else during my orientation was a blur to me, but hopefully you'll get the idea from this.

Hey Guys,

What do you think about living in Queens? My longterm gf and I were thinking about living together; she is a master's student at Columbia (washington heights campus) and we wanted to live together. we figured queens would be a less expensive place to live and for her its about 30-40 mins by mta, which she doesn't mind. How would I fare going the other way to Old Westbury?

Thanks for the help!

I live in Forest Hills and you can commute to the Jamaica station by the MTA or just take the LIRR(about $7) to Glenvale or Old Westbury. Once you get to your final destination you need to take a cab, have someone pick you up, or take the bus.

also nice areas in Queens close to the LIRR are probably not much cheaper than living near NYCOM especially if you include a commute of over $10 roundtrip.

I'll be doing the commute until I get a car which may not happen for some months into the school year.

nvshelat said:
Hey Guys,

What do you think about living in Queens? My longterm gf and I were thinking about living together; she is a master's student at Columbia (washington heights campus) and we wanted to live together. we figured queens would be a less expensive place to live and for her its about 30-40 mins by mta, which she doesn't mind. How would I fare going the other way to Old Westbury?

Thanks for the help!

nvshelat said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help!

I live in Queens (Glen Oaks) and plan to stay there. It's right near the LI border and takes me about 15-20 mins to get to NYCOM by car. I share a 2 BR with my roommate, and our rent is $1250/month. My friends in the area have no problem commuting to Manhattan for work or school each day by train. Hope this helps!

Does NYCOM have one?

Also, what kind of research opportunities are available? I remember hearing something about Parkinson's research and Lyme disease...

lilzelda said:
Did anybody put their parents info on their fafsa?

I read the earlier post that said we won't be getting financial aid information until April. Does that mean we should go ahead and fill out the FAFSA in the meantime or should we wait til the packet comes?

nvshelat said:
Does NYCOM have one?

Also, what kind of research opportunities are available? I remember hearing something about Parkinson's research and Lyme disease...

I think NYCOM only has an MS and an MBA combined degree program but as far as i can tell, no MPH.
http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_DO_MBA_Program.htm

This information about research fellowships that second years can apply to is actually interesting. Does any current NYCOM student know more about these fellowships?

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_Fellowship_Program.htm

nvshelat said:
Does NYCOM have one?

Hope I dont get in trouble for saying this, but there is a DO/MPH in NYCOM's near future.

I think there are still a bunch of extra "NYCOM research opportunities" handouts in the basement of NYCOM III, so you curious bastards can just drag your asses over there and take a look for yourselves.

Timbo,
Don't take em all!! :laugh:

I was tempted to grab some notes during our interview tour. Hehe.

beastmaster said:
I think there are still a bunch of extra "NYCOM research opportunities" handouts in the basement of NYCOM III, so you curious bastards can just drag your asses over there and take a look for yourselves.

NYCOM has at least one clinical summer research program and you can do lab research as well. I know you want to learn about research opportunities set up by NYCOM but you can set up your own research if you start asking around early.

nvshelat said:
Does NYCOM have one?

Hey guys,

I'm now in the NYCOM 2010 class!! Getting a little worried about how I am going to pay for this already!! And of course anatomy scares me! Looking forward to meeting you all. :)

beastmaster said:
Hope I dont get in trouble for saying this, but there is a DO/MPH in NYCOM's near future.

I might take you up on that offer - I'm heading over there this Friday just to check it out again, get a feel for the environment, talk to more students, and gawk at the homes in Old Westbury. =)

I was looking for something more in line with epidemiology/biostat that would help me with clinical research as opposed to lab research, so we'll see if anything is available.
Looking forward to March when I get to meet you guys

I was so happy to get into NYCOM that I forgot to introduce myself to you all. My name is Kurt and I grew up in upstate NY (near Rochester), went to Northeastern University (Boston) for college (Toxicology major), and have been working in Boston for the past 1 1/2 years as a study coordinator in Ophthalmology. I am an avid tennis and racquetball player.

I am currently looking for roomate(s) near the school so if anyone has ideas as to where to find some (or other housing), post or PM me. I'm not sure if I will be making the March get together but I'm sure I will make one or two of them. Hopefully will be able to make some study partners too!

Marimba82 said:
I read the earlier post that said we won't be getting financial aid information until April. Does that mean we should go ahead and fill out the FAFSA in the meantime or should we wait til the packet comes?

there really is no need to fill it out yet since NYCOM won't be ready to do anything with it for a few months. But if you want to do it, make sure your info has been entered into the system at NYCOM. If you finish it before they enter you in the system, your ap will be lost.

I interviewed Jan 4th and our interview gorup was told to fill it out now. FAFSA is electronic now so I'm unsure how they can "lose" your application.

:rolleyes:

I believe TAP and other grants are first come first serve so there is no advantage in waiting.

Stratus2675 said:
there really is no need to fill it out yet since NYCOM won't be ready to do anything with it for a few months. But if you want to do it, make sure your info has been entered into the system at NYCOM. If you finish it before they enter you in the system, your ap will be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.