*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone!
i recently got my acceptance letter from nycom, and they want mycheck obviously and a copy of my transript...in general biology I i got a C- and im worried that this will affect my acceptance...does anyone know NYCOMs policy on grades below a C??? i greatly appreciate your responses

Members don't see this ad.

kero883 said:
hi everyone!
i recently got my acceptance letter from nycom, and they want mycheck obviously and a copy of my transript...in general biology I i got a C- and im worried that this will affect my acceptance...does anyone know NYCOMs policy on grades below a C??? i greatly appreciate your responses

Hi. First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! Previously, there has been a posting about acceptable grades at NYCOM. I believe that NYCOM does not accept anything lower than a C in your premed reqs. However, you should just call and verify with administration yourself.

Good luck!! :p

Be sure to discuss this with Rodika Zaika(Dir of Admin) or Taryn Croot(Assoc Dir of Admin).

kero883 said:
hi everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
I interviewed Jan 4th and our interview gorup was told to fill it out now. FAFSA is electronic now so I'm unsure how they can "lose" your application.

:rolleyes:

I believe TAP and other grants are first come first serve so there is no advantage in waiting.

I'm just repeating what was told to me in a conversation with the financial aid office. They said that if you fill it out before your info is entered into their system, there is nothing to direct the application to so it can get "lost." Thats why nobody has received any info from the fin aid office yet. It seemed a little odd to me too, but what what the hell do i know.

jellibelli said:
Hi. First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! Previously, there has been a posting about acceptable grades at NYCOM. I believe that NYCOM does not accept anything lower than a C in your premed reqs. However, you should just call and verify with administration yourself.

Good luck!! :p
thanks so much for your response...i cant get a hold of the office until monday unfortunately, do uthink its a good saign though that they accepted me already? i mean, wouldnt it be ridiculous for them to accept me without even looking at any of my grades??? that sounds crazy

kero883 said:
thanks so much for your response...i cant get a hold of the office until monday unfortunately, do uthink its a good saign though that they accepted me already? i mean, wouldnt it be ridiculous for them to accept me without even looking at any of my grades??? that sounds crazy

I thought the transcript request was just for official purposes........previously they had looked at your transcript through the one you sent to AACOMAS no? So if they accepted you they are already aware of all your grades and this transcript is just another final formality? That's my guess - or am i wrong about that?

Someone is in the same situation as yourself. There is a thread about it. She was accepted and found she had a C- on her transcript. She spoke to someone about it and was told not to worry. She called again and spoke to Ms Zaika or Ms Croot and was told she had to retake it. I believe that is how it went.

1)So yes you may be accepted and have unfulfilled requirements such as retaking a C-
2) You are accepted but need to complete all requirements such as getting a degree, passing grades etc.

kero883 said:

Some of us applied without completing all prereqs so I don't know if it can be called a formality. Whether they actually will go over all 250+ students from the incoming class with a fine tooth comb I don't know. Whethere they will be on your azz for getting in your transcripts before the start of school: I don't know.

Nothing to worry about if everything is legit in your transcripts.

Marimba82 said:
I thought the transcript request was just for official purposes........previously they had looked at your transcript through the one you sent to AACOMAS no? So if they accepted you they are already aware of all your grades and this transcript is just another final formality? That's my guess - or am i wrong about that?

Oh well. I filled out my FAFSA early January because of what I was told during the fin aid presentation on my interview. When people start talking about receiveing fin aid stuff from NYCOM I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Stratus2675 said:
I'm just repeating what was told to me in a conversation with the financial aid office. They said that if you fill it out before your info is entered into their system, there is nothing to direct the application to so it can get "lost." Thats why nobody has received any info from the fin aid office yet. It seemed a little odd to me too, but what what the hell do i know.

kero883 said:
hi everyone!

First, congrats on your acceptance. Second, I am in the same position you are regarding a C- on a pre-req course (chem I for me). There was no mention in my acceptance letter about the need to retake the course. Fortunately, after speaking with another accepted student I called the school and spoke with Taryn Croot. She told me that I would need to retake this class in order to matriculate :mad: The form you send in with your deposit has a section for you to list the pre-req courses taken, the date of completion and institution where you took them...I assume this allows the admission staff to quickly go through your transcript and make sure all the pre-req grades are at least a C...Personally, I think the admission staff should review an individuals pre-req info BEFORE sending out an acceptance letter. In so doing, the letter of admission would note any deficiencies and, prevent the accepted student from sending in a deposit thinking that he/she was all set only to find out later that a course(s) needed to be retaken. That being said, gen. bio I is not the worst pre-req to have to retake...good luck!

So, I've been hearing alot about online streamed (audio or video?) lectures. Is this the main or only method of note-taking at NYCOM? Various other schools provide you with powerpoint printouts/printed notes prior to lectures. Does this happen at all at NYCOM, or is there an alternative method besides the streamed lectures? This seems largely like a personal preference issue, but I (and others too, I think) prefer the printed note approach. Can any current NYCOMer explain what actually goes down at school in regards to this topic? Any clarification would be much appreciated.

...also, anybody know the typical going rate or range of prices for 1-BR and 2-BR housing around Old Westbruy? Thanks.

HunterGatherer said:
Some of us applied without completing all prereqs so I don't know if it can be called a formality. Whether they actually will go over all 250+ students from the incoming class with a fine tooth comb I don't know. Whethere they will be on your azz for getting in your transcripts before the start of school: I don't know.

Wow ok, so if you know you have a blemish and you bring it to their attention after being accepted.......then you have to retake the course in order to matriculate. But if you don't bring it to their attention (or you don't realize that there is such a policy at NYCOM), then they may not realize your blemish either and you might just be able to matriculate without an issue or anything to retake? That's not a very nice situation! How true is this? Honestly, I am asking b/c this is the first I have heard of a below C- policy for NYCOM, but if one exists, shouldn't they make it more clear when they accept you, take your money and ask for your transcript without telling you why?

Anyone know a good bank while I'm a student @ NYCOM? Which ATMs are on campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I recently interviewed at NYCOM and it went quite swimmingly. It was laidback and it seemed a large portion of the discussion was the professor trying to convince me why I should attend this school. I had some reservations and wanted to inquire how you guys felt about them - and for those of you who are committed to going, how you resolved this issue for yourselves. Taking in such a large class, NYCOM has 6-8 individuals per cadaver. While the interviewer claimed this is not a prohibitory factor to learning, it bothers to me a bit. Further, they have a huge 10% attrition rate which is higher than I have ever heard of before. If it's such a great institution why are so many students being first screened, accepted, then failing out? Finally, the board scores are in the 70s%. I asked my interviewer about this as well and he acknowledged it was true and that they don't presently know the reason it is so low. Thanks for the replies/info.

Sorry if my previous post seemed like a suggestion to try to sweep this under the rug.

My only advice on this matter is to call NYCOM and discuss this with Taryn Croot or Rodika Zaika. They are not going to take away your acceptance. Claiming ignorance is probably not going to help you if this issue comes up later.

Marimba82 said:
Wow ok, so if you know you have a blemish and you bring it to their attention after being accepted.......then you have to retake the course in order to matriculate. But if you don't bring it to their attention (or you don't realize that there is such a policy at NYCOM), then they may not realize your blemish either and you might just be able to matriculate without an issue or anything to retake? That's not a very nice situation! How true is this? Honestly, I am asking b/c this is the first I have heard of a below C- policy for NYCOM, but if one exists, shouldn't they make it more clear when they accept you, take your money and ask for your transcript without telling you why?

bananafish27 said:
Hey Guys,

If it's such a great institution why are so many students being first screened, accepted, then failing out? Finally, the board scores are in the 70s%. I asked my interviewer about this as well and he acknowledged it was true and that they don't presently know the reason it is so low. Thanks for the replies/info.

Is it really 70%, that seems too low. I think the islands have s/t like 95%. It doesnt make sense.

Anyone???

I, too was really surprised by the numbers. They were confirmed by students attending and by Dr. Sohouais (sp?), head of the anatomy department.

bananafish27 said:
Finally, the board scores are in the 70s%. I asked my interviewer about this as well and he acknowledged it was true and that they don't presently know the reason it is so low. Thanks for the replies/info.

That doesn't seem to correlate with their matches, so that's pretty odd. It could be that with such a big class, they have some ppl who do great on boards and then a lot who do poorly?

I read somewhere that if you're accepted between some dates you can pay the deposit in 2 separate installments? 500 up front then 1000 later? Is this true?

I have hear the same about their retake policy, it's definitely the this COMLEX thing that might be a bit more troubling.

The COMLEX national pass rate is 89%. I'm a little skeptical about 70% myself. The board pass rate was something brought up at the Open House and based on Dr. Ross' response I find it hard to believe. NYCOM students get at least 4 weeks off for boards. NYCOM had a free kaplan prepe for the boards last year and they plan to repeat that again this year. 10% of the class are from the Emigre program but I don't see how they could bring down COMLEX board pass rates to 70%.

10% attrition rate is a number I've heard. The way NYCOM is set up it seems somewhat difficult to fail. It is possible to fail but I think you have 2 chances to retake failed exams and then you have a chance to retake up to a certain number of credits during the summer if you fail the 2 retakes.

How does the grading system work at NYCOM for the first two years? Is it just pass/fail or something else?

I am also curious to know if the profs go by powerpoint and print out the notes to give to students.

NUKid said:
How does the grading system work at NYCOM for the first two years? Is it just pass/fail or something else?

I am also curious to know if the profs go by powerpoint and print out the notes to give to students.
I think I read they have H/P/F where H=honors=top 10%.

PlasticMan said:
I think I read they have H/P/F where H=honors=top 10%.

I was told the above info as well. Honors for clinical grading is a little more tricky.

during interviews we went to the basement where the student mailboxes(Serota Center?) are located and there was a table full of notes preprinted for students. It seemed to cover at least 2 weeks. I'm not sure if powerpoints are printed out or just notes.

Most classes are streamed and you will have access to powerpoints, notes, and streamed videos online. So you can print powerpoints/notes on your own or save them on your PC laptop.

shenningdo said:
Someone had to start it.... Congratulations to everyone.

I would love to meet some of my future classmates before school begins for drinks or dinner or house hunting! I am ready for the long nights of studying, the endless lack of sleep, and the enormous amount of material we will absorb in the next four years... I do think, however, it will be easier and more fun if we have some people with which we can share the pain!

I am Shannon... a 23 yr old female living in NJ, finishing my master's at UMDNJ in May, and originally from NY.

Sooner or later housing and roommate opportunities will pop up, so why not get to know each other now.

Happy New Year!

so..a little off the current topics.. but does anyone know when we'll start receiving further information? I'd love to have access to the other parts of the NYCOM website, info on orientation, academic calendar, etc... Anyone else trying to plan their summer, etc and wondering about info?

Ski2Doc said:
Is it really 70%, that seems too low. I think the islands have s/t like 95%. It doesnt make sense.

Anyone???

I heard that it was true from a 4th year student. I was also told that the AOA was reviewing the curriculum because of these bad rates. It seems that all of the changes that were put in place messed things up. Hopefully they iron everything out.

Hi All....

I was just browsing and I am so surprised!! I am currently a first year at NYCOM and am so surprised to hear about some of things that you have all been hearing. As such, I thought I would take some time to quell some fears and address some rumors.

COMLEX/USMLE....with regard to pass rate, I have never once heard of the pass rate being as low as 70%. Was this for the COMLEX or the USMLE?? As far as I know, our students fair well on both the COMLEX and the USMLE. We need to pass the COMLEX in order to graduate and a number of students take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX, especially if they are hoping to match into an allopathic residency. The tests are administered around the same time so most students have only a few weeks to prepare for one or the other. I find this somewhat interesting being that we have a relatively good match list, especially in allopathic anesthesiology training programs.

Streaming....yes, the lectures are all recorded and are posted on the academic web page before the end of the day. They can be accessed at your own convenience. Many students choose to stay home, study during the day, and stream their lectures in the evening. However, there are many students, such as myself that attend lecture, take notes during lecture, and re-stream the lecture if necessary - for instance....if the lecture covered a particularly challenging topic, I will got to class, take as many notes as I can, and re-stream the lecture that evening for the sake of completeness. This is what works for me. I have a number of friends that are streamers, never come to class, and honor exams. It's all a matter of personal preference. Do what works for you. The resource is there. There is no script service, so we are responsible for taking our own notes.

Powerpoints....at the beginning of each week, we are given a course packet that contains all of the powerpoint presentations that will be used by respective professors the following week. These are all you really need in order to do well on the exams. They are usually comprehensive (sometimes a little too comprehensive) and they are the primary source for exam questions. There is room for handwritten notes on each of the presentations. Additionally, the powerpoints are posted on the academic web page should you choose to print them out yourself. There are times when I print them out in a certain format (2 slides per page) to give myself a little more room for notes.

Just a word of advice....don't pay much mind to the things you hear regarding medical school in general. Keep an open mind and see for yourself. Don't make the mistake of starting medical school with pre-conceived notions. Start fresh. Your four years of medical school will prove to be the worst years of your life and the best years of your life. In the end, you will all be physicians and that's what make it all worth it....I'll get off my soapbox now. Congratulations to all who gained acceptance and good luck to all who are waiting and/or choose different routes!!

Hi All....

I was just browsing and I am so surprised!! I am currently a first year at NYCOM and am so surprised to hear about some of things that you have all been hearing. As such, I thought I would take some time to quell some fears and address some rumors.

COMLEX/USMLE....with regard to pass rate, I have never once heard of the pass rate being as low as 70%. Was this for the COMLEX or the USMLE?? As far as I know, our students fair well on both the COMLEX and the USMLE. We need to pass the COMLEX in order to graduate and a number of students take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX, especially if they are hoping to match into an allopathic residency. The tests are administered around the same time so most students have only a few weeks to prepare for one or the other. I find this somewhat interesting being that we have a relatively good match list, especially in allopathic anesthesiology training programs.

Streaming....yes, the lectures are all recorded and are posted on the academic web page before the end of the day. They can be accessed at your own convenience. Many students choose to stay home, study during the day, and stream their lectures in the evening. However, there are many students, such as myself that attend lecture, take notes during lecture, and re-stream the lecture if necessary - for instance....if the lecture covered a particularly challenging topic, I will got to class, take as many notes as I can, and re-stream the lecture that evening for the sake of completeness. This is what works for me. I have a number of friends that are streamers, never come to class, and honor exams. It's all a matter of personal preference. Do what works for you. The resource is there. There is no script service, so we are responsible for taking our own notes.

Powerpoints....at the beginning of each week, we are given a course packet that contains all of the powerpoint presentations that will be used by respective professors the following week. These are all you really need in order to do well on the exams. They are usually comprehensive (sometimes a little too comprehensive) and they are the primary source for exam questions. There is room for handwritten notes on each of the presentations. Additionally, the powerpoints are posted on the academic web page should you choose to print them out yourself. There are times when I print them out in a certain format (2 slides per page) to give myself a little more room for notes.

Just a word of advice....don't pay much mind to the things you hear regarding medical school in general. Keep an open mind and see for yourself. Don't make the mistake of starting medical school with pre-conceived notions. Start fresh. Your four years of medical school will prove to be the worst years of your life and the best years of your life. In the end, you will all be physicians and that's what make it all worth it....I'll get off my soapbox now. Congratulations to all who gained acceptance and good luck to all who are waiting and/or choose different routes!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All....

This website is all screwed up. I see a post by a first year student discussing comlex when I try to make a reply but it does not show up otherwise. Maybe it will post later.

Yeah, i would like to get some more stuff... So far I have gotten 1)the acceptance letter 2)the technical standards packet 3)The deposit confirmation 4)The DPC curriculm enrollment forms (im not gonna do it) and 4) The super exciting MMR-Meningitis vaccine form. --Speaking of which, how do you guys feel about the new Vaccine that is permanent, I got menumone in college but it is wearing off right about now, should i get the new one?

I want on the website... and i want to know when school starts so i can plan a wild vacation for my last weeks of pre-career freedom.

hey you NYCOMers, i am planning to apply to NYCOM the next application cycle with a 23O MCAT and a 3.38 science and overall g.p.a and a 3.39 non-science g.p.a, do i have a chance at an interview? i plan to submit my primary AACOMAS application on the first day of june. does NYCOM give interview invites after the primary is sent in along with lor's and if so how long does it take to recieve an interview invite?

Sweepea8137 said:
Hi All....

:thumbup: x 3. Great post, thanks!

BengaliDocIsl said:
hey you NYCOMers, i am planning to apply to NYCOM the next application cycle with a 23O MCAT and a 3.38 science and overall g.p.a and a 3.39 non-science g.p.a, do i have a chance at an interview? i plan to submit my primary AACOMAS application on the first day of june. does NYCOM give interview invites after the primary is sent in along with lor's and if so how long does it take to recieve an interview invite?
NYCOM offers interviews before LOR or a secondary is received. They send you the secondary along with the interview invite, and you bring it with you to your interview. I know a couple people who were interviewed with your MCAT score or lower and 1 person who was accepted with your MCAT score. Good luck. :luck:

Mike2010 said:
Whats up guys, I got the DPC application packet today from NYCOM and after looking through it I have dont think i'll be doing it, even though i was initially very interested. I just feel like it is a huge risk. I know I can excel in the traditional lecture based style and it is a time tested method so i might as well just go with it. I guess I have two main problems with the DPC. First, no-one has seemed to come up with any concrete numbers on how DPC student fair against lecture based students on the COMPLEX (if there were hard facts suggesting the same outcomes i would be swayed towards DPC i think). Second and more important to me is the student-driven aspect. I feel like to be in comfortable in the program you have to be confident in the talent and abilities of your peers in the program. I dont think the packet explains the facilitator's role well enough for me...
What do you guys think about the program?, It seems like if you can excel in it you will be better set up for the clinical years. I dont know.

Couple of things while i procrastinate:

I'm a NYCOM DPC MS I.
someone asked about commuting from queens. i live just west of bayside on Northern BLVD. the commute is a very easy 30min and positions you nicely for getting into the city (25min on LIRR). can't beat it in my opinion.
next.
i've seen a couple posts with regard to the infantcy of the DPC. while it is a new program at NYCOM it is being run by people with more than 10 years of proven experience. Dr. Portanova (the head) was previously at Ohio or someplace like that and was hired by nycom for his ability to set up the program.
the benefits for taking the risk (truthfully i don't at all at risk) are:
you begin shadowing drs / working in a FP office the second half of your first year (this alone should be enough persuasion).
we have clinical training twice a week
you set your own study schedule and learning objs (the facilitators are there to insure that you cover everything important)
it is a much smaller group (40 students vs 300) providing much more visibility and networking options
after 1 semester we've already treated 12 cases and believe me when i tell you that once you learn something with respect to a patient and a case you will never forget it
did i mention that we are already out in the field at dr's offices interacting with patients, taking histories, doing physicals, and working with experienced individuals who are more than willing to point us in the write direction when it comes to the decisions that need to be made in the upcoming years.

is the program new to nycom, yes. are there still a few bugs in the system, yes. does the program prepare you to become a dr, YES. will it affect your ability to pass the boards, i don't believe so. Passing the boards ultimately comes down to the amount of time you put into your studies. the dpc program is driving info into my brain as fast as i can absorb it. there is no way that any other method of learning could be any more high yeild.

final words: send in your paperwork. i don't think we did fin aid till june or july so my advice is: GO PLAY WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY NOW!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE COME AUGUST YOU WILL HAVE ZERO TIME FOR ANYTHING BUT UNDERSTANDING THE HUMAN BODY!!!!!!!! this i can't emphasize enough
t

tedd1212 said:
Couple of things while i procrastinate:

I'm a NYCOM DPC MS I.
someone asked about commuting from queens. i live just west of bayside on Northern BLVD. the commute is a very easy 30min and positions you nicely for getting into the city (25min on LIRR). can't beat it in my opinion.
next.
i've seen a couple posts with regard to the infantcy of the DPC. while it is a new program at NYCOM it is being run by people with more than 10 years of proven experience. Dr. Portanova (the head) was previously at Ohio or someplace like that and was hired by nycom for his ability to set up the program.
the benefits for taking the risk (truthfully i don't at all at risk) are:
you begin shadowing drs / working in a FP office the second half of your first year (this alone should be enough persuasion).
we have clinical training twice a week
you set your own study schedule and learning objs (the facilitators are there to insure that you cover everything important)
it is a much smaller group (40 students vs 300) providing much more visibility and networking options
after 1 semester we've already treated 12 cases and believe me when i tell you that once you learn something with respect to a patient and a case you will never forget it
did i mention that we are already out in the field at dr's offices interacting with patients, taking histories, doing physicals, and working with experienced individuals who are more than willing to point us in the write direction when it comes to the decisions that need to be made in the upcoming years.

is the program new to nycom, yes. are there still a few bugs in the system, yes. does the program prepare you to become a dr, YES. will it affect your ability to pass the boards, i don't believe so. Passing the boards ultimately comes down to the amount of time you put into your studies. the dpc program is driving info into my brain as fast as i can absorb it. there is no way that any other method of learning could be any more high yeild.

final words: send in your paperwork. i don't think we did fin aid till june or july so my advice is: GO PLAY WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY NOW!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE COME AUGUST YOU WILL HAVE ZERO TIME FOR ANYTHING BUT UNDERSTANDING THE HUMAN BODY!!!!!!!! this i can't emphasize enough
t
Can you give us an example of your weekly schedule as a DPC student? How much time you spend in clinical training/shadowing physicians as I wonder how that helps you prepare for step 1 when you could be spending the time studying sciences instead?

I'm sorry, but does anyone have a matchlist for NYCOM? Is there one floating around? PM me, please. I appreciate your help!

jellibelli said:
I'm sorry, but does anyone have a matchlist for NYCOM? Is there one floating around? PM me, please. I appreciate your help!
You might be able to find an un-official one by searching SDN. At the interview, they passed them out for us to look at, but then collected them back. Had lots of matches into anesthesiology along with plenty of IM, FP, OB/GYN, along with a handful of general surgery. This is the extent of what I remember from glancing at it. Hope this helped somewhat.

attached. it's pretty sick, blows other schools match lists out of the water.

Attachments

• NYCOM 2005 Residency Match List.doc
    55 KB · Views: 381
nvshelat said:
attached. it's pretty sick, blows other schools match lists out of the water.

Hi nvshelat!
Thanks for the info! You rule!

Hi Plasticman!
Thanks for the help!!

:p

PlasticMan said:
Can you give us an example of your weekly schedule as a DPC student? How much time you spend in clinical training/shadowing physicians as I wonder how that helps you prepare for step 1 when you could be spending the time studying sciences instead?

mon, wed, fri: group from 1-3
mon: OMM lab 8-12
tues: clinical w/ Dr from 2-5
tues: clinical w/ sim patient 9-11
thurs: DPC problem set 9-11
thurs: clinical lab 1-4

we spend more than enough time in the books. the clinical interactions reinforce what we read.
t

ps. note that this schedule is certainly subject to change and is modeled after my current schedule and does not reflect the schedule for the entire year

Thanks, Tedd.

What are you guys doing for health insurance for the transition period (May - August)? I'm covered under my mom's health insr through work only as long as I have a letter stating that I'm a full-time student - but NYCOM said they won't give me that letter until the 1st day of orientation. Does anyone know if health insurance through NYCOM covers students from may onwards?

Does NYCOM offer health insurance for students?

besides the people in the emigre program, how many people does NYCOM accept without the people who are in the emigre program, is it around 230 or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.