*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did u guys choose grad plus or private loan? if so which lender is better for grad plus? i am still confused.....
can you just check maximum allowed for grad plus and change your mind later? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

docdoc2727 said:
did u guys choose grad plus or private loan? if so which lender is better for grad plus? i am still confused.....
can you just check maximum allowed for grad plus and change your mind later? thanks.

I chose Grad Plus w/ Nellie Mae. I wasn't able to find any info on origination fees for Grad Plus for any of the lenders tho.
As far as I know, there are no early repayment fees. However, I'm not certain about this. In theory, if you get too much, you can give it back w/o a fee. Someone needs to double check me on this tho.

How many of your guys are applying for the primary care scholarship? If EM qualified, I would totally do it :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget about the get-together this weekend! Contact shenningdo if you need info!

nvshelat said:
I chose Grad Plus w/ Nellie Mae. I wasn't able to find any info on origination fees for Grad Plus for any of the lenders tho.
As far as I know, there are no early repayment fees. However, I'm not certain about this. In theory, if you get too much, you can give it back w/o a fee. Someone needs to double check me on this tho.

do you know if Nellie Mae waive the origination fee? i went to their website but couldn't find the info about that. thanks...

HunterGatherer said:
Don't get a boyfriend. They take up too much time and energy. Are you available to do any babysitting for me and my wife? We don't get out much. :laugh:

he he. who said anything about looking for a relationship...i said "fun" ;-) no relationship necessary for that -- relationships sometimes even inhibit said "fun."

and actually, sure. i love kids, (used to teach 5-6 year olds years ago) as long as i get to give them back to their parents after a short period of time.

docdoc2727 said:
do you know if Nellie Mae waive the origination fee? i went to their website but couldn't find the info about that. thanks...

Unfortunately the info out there on Grad Plus is pretty sparse. I can't find anything about origination fees for any of the Grad Plus lenders.

Do we have to do anything for the grad plus laon now? I clicked on the link the schooo, provided but under "application" it says "comming soon"

Just to confirm- basically the 40K from stafford will cover tuition but for living expenses we can use Grad plus?

Last question: anyone know where to get info about the three grad plus lenders?

Thanks again! ;)

SF83 said:
Do we have to do anything for the grad plus laon now? I clicked on the link the schooo, provided but under "application" it says "comming soon"

We're still waiting...

SF83 said:
Just to confirm- basically the 40K from stafford will cover tuition but for living expenses we can use Grad plus?

Other way around - Grad plus covers only tuition, stafford covers tuition and living. But Stafford is what's given first as aid.

[/QUOTE]

Tuition is increasing. During my interview we had a financial aid presentation and were told that at some point Stafford will not be enough to cover tuition and another lender or paying tuition out of pocket will be necessary.

nvshelat said:
Unfortunately the info out there on Grad Plus is pretty sparse. I can't find anything about origination fees for any of the Grad Plus lenders.

Don't all the lenders charge 3% origination fee plus the 1% extra for something else [I forget what]? Accd to NYCOM FA office, it seems you will get 4% fees charged on the Grad PLUS regardless of lender...

Marimba82 said:
Don't all the lenders charge 3% origination fee plus the 1% extra for something else [I forget what]? Accd to NYCOM FA office, it seems you will get 4% fees charged on the Grad PLUS regardless of lender...

It says on some paper somewhere that some lenders waive the 3% - will try to track that ppr down

HunterGatherer said:
Tuition is increasing. During my interview we had a financial aid presentation and were told that at some point Stafford will not be enough to cover tuition and another lender or paying tuition out of pocket will be necessary.

Exactly -- the total amount is going to be higher than one can take out with Stafford alone.

So SF83, it's not that Stafford covers tuition and Grad PLUS covers the living expenses, and it's not the other way around either. It's more like tuition, fees, charges, health insurance, books, supplies, allowances for living expenses with or without parents, etc. are allllll totaled together to make a master sum. Then Stafford is applied.....after that, whatever more you need will have to be borrowed from another source (Grad PLUS or private loans). Think of it all together, not as separate charges.

I think :)

Members don't see this ad :)
docdoc2727 said:

One advantage of the Grad PLUS is that it has a fixed interest rate, which at first seems high (8.5%). However, private loans accrue interest at a rate based on the PRIME rate set by the Fed (as nvshelat explained earlier) or based on the LIBOR rate set by London banks with an additional 2-3% tacked on depending on how good or bad your credit is. Either way, the final tally is going to be high -- close to 8.5% and rising (the PRIME rate is expected to hit 9% next year!!)

So in the long run that might cost a lot more money than the fixed rate Grad PLUS loan.

There is one drawback to the Grad PLUS -- those 4% origination fees taken out when they give you the loan. BUT in the end, when you are ready to pay it all back, you can consolidate Grad PLUS at a relatively good rate with your Stafford loans....you CAN'T consolidate private loans. So I hear from the financial aid people "in the know".

So if i had to gamble, as nvshelat also mentioned, I don't feel lucky, I doubt interest rates will drop soon, so I'll take my chances with the fixed rate of the Grad PLUS.....it's the lesser of two evils ;)

I believe it was exactly one year ago today that I was sodomized by the MCAT. That would mean at this very moment last year i was standing outside drinking excessively, grilling hamburgers and hot dogs, and playing bocce ball at an MCAT/FE completion party. Today I got home from a 2 night business trip and handled some HPSP paperwork. I have to be up for work at 530AM tomorrow. Next year at this time I will undoubtedly be studying my ass off.... I think all of this has made me realize i need to work less before school starts and focus on fun (i.e. grilling, drinking, bocce, and girls) haha.

Is anyone else taking a crazy trip before school starts....? My friends and I have a ton of ideas but nothing concrete yet. What kind of stuff are you guys thinking about?

HunterGatherer said:
post 245:
troll=someone making inflamatory posts just to create arguments.

Thanks Hunter, that clears up a lot of things.

Do you guys still have loans to pay from previous schools?
I heard that it's possible to combine them with our upcoming loans, I will need to take a closer look.

interpol said:

I heard that it's possible to combine them with our upcoming loans, I will need to take a closer look.

Yes I have 30k from undergrad, :eek:
But its all Stafford

Mike2010 said:
Is anyone else taking a crazy trip before school starts....? My friends and I have a ton of ideas but nothing concrete yet. What kind of stuff are you guys thinking about?

I'm going to a resort in Fl. with the gf in May; then maybe Alaska or Yosemite with the rents/family in June; then Scotland with my brother in July/August. Lots of fun!!

interpol said:

I have 5K in perkins and around 20K stafford. I need to look into consolidation since I am graduating this year.

Hey everyone- My name is Bonnie, I'm 24 and I'll be a first year at NYCOM this fall...I'm from NJ and have no clue where to begin finding housing and roomates in long island. I'm trying to find some other female roomates and housing anywhere near campus...if anyone can help or is looking for a roomate email me and let me know. Looking forward to a crazy 4 years....
[email protected]

nvshelat said:
I'm going to a resort in Fl. with the gf in May; then maybe Alaska or Yosemite with the rents/family in June; then Scotland with my brother in July/August. Lots of fun!!

wow. i wish i had so much time and $$$!!! color me jealous.

i'm working through july, gave notice for july 31st. august 1-6 i'm doing a silent buddhist retreat that i do at my (soon to be ex) sangha every year, then i'm packing, dealing with the movers, and driving cross country hopefully with enough time to see mt. rushmore and stop for a day or so in chicago to see old college friends on the way and do a little unpacking before orientation...only to have to fly back to SF for a wedding over labor day.

but this brings up another question...anyone know a good, alternative, theravadin buddhist sangha in the NYC area?

i know NYCOM starts interviewing around November, but i want to know when do they start sending out interview invites, like in September? do they send interview invites by email?

I think people started getting invites in late october/early november. Invites did not go out until after the mid-october open house. invites were all by US postal mail.

noonday said:
but this brings up another question...anyone know a good, alternative, theravadin buddhist sangha in the NYC area?

I would love to help you but I have no idea what the two words sandwiching "buddhist" are. ;)

yasha83 said:
I would love to help you but I have no idea what the two words sandwiching "buddhist" are. ;)
:laugh:

well, a sangha is kinda like the equivalent of a congregation in judeo-christian beliefs, sorta.

and saying buddhist is like saying christian. there are lots of kinds of buddhists just like there are lots of different kinds of christians -- catholics, lutherans, methodists, etc. -- and theravada is a sect like those are. but, the internet is a lovely thing, i will see if i can find something...just asking in case there happened to be someone else in the class who was of a like mind from the NY area who knew of one already. thanks, though!

hope that everyone who was able to gather this weekend had a great time...wish i could have been there.

Does every first year have to fill out a Title VII or just the ones who are interested in PCL and SDS?
Thanks,
Nishanie

nwg331 said:
Does every first year have to fill out a Title VII or just the ones who are interested in PCL and SDS?
Thanks,
Nishanie

I did not bother doing that since I am uninterested in the commitments attached to the loans they offer or I'm not qualified.

HunterGatherer said:
I did not bother doing that since I am uninterested in the commitments attached to the loans they offer or I'm not qualified.

I asked the Fin Aid that and they said you still needed to fill it out, even if you aren't interested in it.

Stratus2675 said:
I asked the Fin Aid that and they said you still needed to fill it out, even if you aren't interested in it.

:( Thanks for the heads up.

What was on the "Title VII Supplemental Data Request" sheet? I don't have it so maybe I sent it. Was that the sheet asking if you lived in disadvantage areas, if you recevied gov't aid,etc. ?

I did not put in parental info on FAFSA because the Fin Aid rep at my interview told us we did not have to unless we wanted Title VII loans. I'll have to call them about this later this week but wondered about that sheet above.

HunterGatherer said:
:( Thanks for the heads up.

What was on the "Title VII Supplemental Data Request" sheet? I don't have it so maybe I sent it. Was that the sheet asking if you lived in disadvantage areas, if you recevied gov't aid,etc. ?

I did not put in parental info on FAFSA because the Fin Aid rep at my interview told us we did not have to unless we wanted Title VII loans. I'll have to call them about this later this week but wondered about that sheet above.

Yep thats the very Title VII sheet. Asks you about population fo the city you grew up in, federal subsidized housing, race/ethnicity, etc. FYI guys, after they got my papers I called to double check my status and they told me they had everything except proof of citizenship, not sure if this is just something based on my file or if everyone who applies for FA needs to send this in.

yasha83 said:
Yep thats the very Title VII sheet. Asks you about population fo the city you grew up in, federal subsidized housing, race/ethnicity, etc. FYI guys, after they got my papers I called to double check my status and they told me they had everything except proof of citizenship, not sure if this is just something based on my file or if everyone who applies for FA needs to send this in.

Thanks. I'm going to call them at the end of the week to see if i'm complete and ask about Perkins. It'd be nice to get $5K in perkins. :)

You have to do research to find out what each individual lender charges for fees. The origination fee is usually 3-4 percent. Once in a while, some waive the origination fee. NYCOM is being a staffard lender now and if you sign up with NYCOM as your lender, they will waive the origination fee. I use a private bank for staffard since when I started, NYCOM was not a lender and I would rather not give the school any more money.

If you are also purchasing medical insurance, staffard is not enough to cover 4 years of NYCOM and the tuition rises 8% a year which is ridiculous.

yanky5 said:
If you are also purchasing medical insurance, staffard is not enough to cover 4 years of NYCOM and the tuition rises 8% a year which is ridiculous.

For those of you from NJ, starting in May, you can be covered under your parents until you are 30, just as long as you keep your permanent residence in NJ. Premiums will increase, but I think it still may be cheaper than via NYCOM.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=39882

Please post if so, and when you sent in your info. Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm Adam, I've been browsing this site for a little while now, and decided to register. I'll also be an incoming student this Fall, for the NYCOM class of 2010! I'm 24, graduated from Stony Brook University in '02, and I've been working in Emergency Medicine since then as part of a research program. I've always lived on LI, and it looks like I'll continue to be here for at least another 4 years. Definitely excited about starting and can't wait to get my feet wet.

I noticed in this thread that someone was trying to organize a get together for all new incoming students. I know I missed whatever tentative date was set, but hopefully there'll be another, and I'd love to meet up with some other students.

So Hi to all, and lookin' forward to seeing you all soon.

- Adam

A-Lit said:
Hey all,

I'm Adam, I've been browsing this site for a little while now, and decided to register. I'll also be an incoming student this Fall, for the NYCOM class of 2010! I'm 24, graduated from Stony Brook University in '02, and I've been working in Emergency Medicine since then as part of a research program. I've always lived on LI, and it looks like I'll continue to be here for at least another 4 years. Definitely excited about starting and can't wait to get my feet wet.

I noticed in this thread that someone was trying to organize a get together for all new incoming students. I know I missed whatever tentative date was set, but hopefully there'll be another, and I'd love to meet up with some other students.

So Hi to all, and lookin' forward to seeing you all soon.

- Adam

find shannon in this thread an shoot her a PM with your email addy. I think she may be shenningDO on SDN.

HunterGatherer said:
find shannon in this thread an shoot her a PM with your email addy. I think she may be shenningDO on SDN.

Thanks, hunter, taken care of :)

On another note, I think I'm gonna pursue the Grad PLUS loan for the addtional $$ above the stafford, mainly for the benefit of consolidation and the stability of the interest rate. Last time I checked with Fin-Aid, they said the PLUS link on their site (http://www.nslp.org/nycomloans) would be up and running by the end of the month... nothing as of yet - anyone have an update? Sorry if this is rehashing stuff that was already reviewed in the forum, I tried to go through everything but its possible I missed some posts.

Also, since I saw this was discussed, I applied for the PBL DPC. I have prior PBL case review experience from an EMT Training course I took, and enjoyed it and felt that it was a pretty efficient way of conducting the course. I know this is on a much larger scale, but hopefully it will apply well. I'm thinking the open-ended schedule will provide a good amount of time for studying as well as research, although I know there's also a much larger individual responsibility to cover the material... hmmm ::: ponders :::

hey...
how long did it take to get your paperwork in the mail after sending your check?

i really want to get my DPC application done, but i can't until i get it in the mail.

did they not send until they got your transcripts?

aaagh! must be in DPC. the more i think about going back to sitting in a lecture hall, the more it makes me want to go postal after spending 10 years learning in a completely different way from that...

argh!

Any news on when?...

anxious to find roomates so i can get this housing process started...

nvshelat said:
Any news on when?...

Same here, Ive heard Nothing....

nvshelat said:
Any news on when?...

From what I understand, last year's class didn't get theirs until orientation. You're better off looking for a roommate via email (hence shannon's list). Also, if you're looking for apt. postings from the webboard, search sdn for a current student, and ask if they'll copy some posts for you.

KateGia said:
Also, if you're looking for apt. postings from the webboard, search sdn for a current student, and ask if they'll copy some posts for you.

called NYCOM and was told this might be the best way for now. I was told that we won't get web board access until summer with June being the earliest possible timeframe.

noonday said:
hey...
how long did it take to get your paperwork in the mail after sending your check?

i really want to get my DPC application done, but i can't until i get it in the mail.

did they not send until they got your transcripts?

aaagh! must be in DPC. the more i think about going back to sitting in a lecture hall, the more it makes me want to go postal after spending 10 years learning in a completely different way from that...

argh!

Not too sure about how much weight the transcript issue has - I sent my transcript in January and just got my Financial Aid packet this month. In terms of the DPC paperwork, that did arrive in late January or February, but that may be coincidental. You may be able to get more information by contacting Dr. Ronald Portanova <[email protected]>. I believe he's coordinating the DPC applications. You may be able to find a phone number for him through the NYCOM web site (go to students and then resources and a phone number list should come up).

HunterGatherer said:
called NYCOM and was told this might be the best way for now. I was told that we won't get web board access until summer with June being the earliest possible timeframe.

This is pathetic. Their administration is incompetent.

nvshelat said:
This is pathetic. Their administration is incompetent.

Not that I'm trying to defend or demonize NYCOM's administration, but I've never known any educational institution to have a timely, competent, or just generally useful administration. It seems to be a general status quo for schools.

A-Lit said:
Not that I'm trying to defend or demonize NYCOM's administration, but I've never known any educational institution to have a timely, competent, or just generally useful administration. It seems to be a general status quo for schools.

Lol, ya I was just about to go back and edit that post. Having a rough morning, I suppose that was a little harsh.

nvshelat said:
Lol, ya I was just about to go back and edit that post. Having a rough morning, I suppose that was a little harsh.

Besides our ever-growing class of 2010 contact list, try Craigslist also -- that might be a good way to find a roommate and an apartment, although the roommate may not be a NYCOMer....but still worth a try.....

Edit: Another idea -- try looking in the apartment rental listings and classifieds of the various NY newspapers, especially Newsday

nvshelat said:

Haha, no problem, we've all got those days and what better way to vent then to direct it where you know it's useful anyways! :laugh:

I thought about Craigs List as well, but would rather pursue a venue where I know I'll be paired with other NYCOM students.

Status
Not open for further replies.