*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nvshelat said:
I'm left wondering, what exactly is our curriculum going to be like??

Your curriculum will be an improved version of the new curriculum put in place this year, provided your asking about the lecture based system. One major difference (I think!) is fewer exams. We have one every month; I believe previous classes were tested more frequently. For some, this provides a certain freedom and flexibility to incorporate board studying. For others, it breeds sloppiness. I personally don't need any hand holding, so I'm happy with the freedom I have.

The exam composition in a systems-based course is naturally a mix of topics. So if you get 20 pharm or stepp's phys questions, you can theoretically get all of them wrong and pass the exam. I'd be willing to bet that all the horror stories and nonsensical complaints come from people who failed pharm or phys. Since that can no longer happen, the horror stories are likely to stop. As far passing exams by "ignoring" or "failing" certain subject matter goes, well, there's ways to use that to your advantage. You can use it to pinpoint weakness, and apply your dedication to re-learn the material. Or you can be stupid, and trade short-term relief for long-term consequence. But as material builds, maybe next exam you won't be so lucky.

With the five months you have before school starts, I would suggest focusing less on the rumor mill and more on preparing (psychologically, physically) for succeeding as a medical student. Read SDN. Find the old classic threads on the mistakes you should avoid, how to do well on exams, boards, etc. And just be a little patient, you'll receive all the NYCOM-specific information you need and more on top of that.

Members don't see this ad.

beastmaster said:
Your curriculum will be an improved version of the new curriculum put in place this year, provided your asking about the lecture based system.

Sorry, just to clarify, the curriculum for the class above us (2009) is systems-based, and that is the major improvement over previous years' curriculae?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much, nvshelat. It looks like they've been trying to fix the problems they've had over the past couple years, so hopefully for the class of 2010, more of the problems will have been worked out :) .

At the financial aid meeting on interview day, the guy said something along the lines of, "If you come here, you will HAVE to obtain family support or private loans." So, since the federal limit is $189k and 4 years at NYCOM will cost in surplus of this, how is everyone planning on paying this? Should we just start school, and assume we will have no problem finding a lender during our 3-4 year? Does the school help with obtaining these loans? Another words, should we be looking into securing a loan for the future now ahead of time or is it definite that we will be able to find one and not have to drop out of school due to financial reasons? :confused:

During the financial aid presentation we were told that you should have good credit if you plan to attend NYCOM. "A credit score under 600 and this schools is not for you". I think she said you should have a score around 650-700 for decent interest rates. The reason for this is that you would be using private loans to cover anything over the $189K provided you don't have other resources.

At the Open House we were told that nobody had to leave NYCOM because of financial reasons. We were told the fin aid office would try to work (reason for having good credit) with you.

generally:
$189K is stafford
anything above that is private loans

We were encouraged to look into our credit situation ASAP and address any negatives we found as well.

FYI when getting your credit scores try to stick with myfico.com Any other service will give you a score based on their own formula which may be a bit inflated than what loan companies will receive. You may track your credit profile with other cheaper alternatives but myfico should be the score you look at if that interests you.

Thanks for the info, Hunter. Myfico looks good, but does anyone know of any good free ones? I've heard that you're allowed one free credit report per year?

*edit* Nevermind. The free ones only supply your credit report, not your credit score; they charge a fee for that. So, looks like we gotta pay for myfico.

nvshelat;

I wouldn't worry too much any school has kinks to work out, what matters is the attitude taken in trying to address them, and NYCOM doesn't seem to be lacking in that department. The OP of the thread you provided a link to has three different login names which he uses to routinely log on and complain about his status as a "lost, confused and disheartened" MS-I. It is obvious that he knows that an anonymous web-board cannot solve his problems, so I assume the only reason he continues to do so is that he wants some company in his misery. Truth is, I think people like this are to be found at any school, no matter the drop-out rate since unfortunately some people are always ill-equipped for the work load. He was apparently not aware of how hard he would need to work, it seems that we are. With that in mind, its best to come in with a positive attitude, a warranted one, since NYCOM is a great school. For every such naysayer there were Ten guys who responded to him saying that they had positive experiences. Insecurity is contagious, don;t expose yourself to it too much :)

yasha83 said:
nvshelat;

I wouldn't worry too much any school has kinks to work out, what matters is the attitude taken in trying to address them, and NYCOM doesn't seem to be lacking in that department. The OP of the thread you provided a link to has three different login names which he uses to routinely log on and complain about his status as a "lost, confused and disheartened" MS-I. It is obvious that he knows that an anonymous web-board cannot solve his problems, so I assume the only reason he continues to do so is that he wants some company in his misery. Truth is, I think people like this are to be found at any school, no matter the drop-out rate since unfortunately some people are always ill-equipped for the work load. He was apparently not aware of how hard he would need to work, it seems that we are. With that in mind, its best to come in with a positive attitude, a warranted one, since NYCOM is a great school. For every such naysayer there were Ten guys who responded to him saying that they had positive experiences. Insecurity is contagious, don;t expose yourself to it too much :)

Thanks yasha. Ya, I just let it freak me out a bit, but I've written it off now. Still psyched about NYCOM - although it just hit me that I only have 5 months of freedom left! :eek:

since NYCOM doesn't need LOR's and secondary's to offer invites for an interview. if for the next application cycle starting i turn in my AACOMAS primary application as soon as possible (i.e. June 1), with a 23 MCAT and a 3.38 overall and science g.p.a, can i safely assume that i will definitely get an interview invite for NYCOM since my stats are good enough and i will turn in primary as soon as possible?

i had a question that i no sounds bad but i want to consider it. i know its over a month past the deadline for primary AACOMAS applications to NYCOM, however NYCOM is my first choice and i don't want wait until next application to get in for next year, i want to get in this year, do u guys think that i could somehow get an extension from NYCOM for my primary AACOMAS application, i figured since they interview until may that it isn't terribly late to apply and also since they don't require lor's or secondaries before the interview? is this possible? have u guys heard of anyone doing this? my stats are 3.40 science overall and non-science and 23MCAT, i really want to try for this years entering class and also how much of the class is filled right now, even if they did give me an extension, do i still have a chance? thank you

if you have no plans to retake the MCAT then apply early. Can't say you're a lock for an interciew.In the meantime get a DO letter and attend the NYCOM Open house in October if you can. Be sure to get some face time with MS Zaika or Ms Croot.

:luck:

BengaliDocIsl said:
since NYCOM doesn't need LOR's and secondary's to offer invites for an interview. if for the next application cycle starting i turn in my AACOMAS primary application as soon as possible (i.e. June 1), with a 23 MCAT and a 3.38 overall and science g.p.a, can i safely assume that i will definitely get an interview invite for NYCOM since my stats are good enough and i will turn in primary as soon as possible?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=199338

Maybe GqDocStar's story is what you are looking for, but I think he started the process before the NYCOM deadline.

ppormansdoormd said:
i had a question that i no sounds bad but i want to consider it. i know its over a month past the deadline for primary AACOMAS applications to NYCOM, however NYCOM is my first choice and i don't want wait until next application to get in for next year, i want to get in this year, do u guys think that i could somehow get an extension from NYCOM for my primary AACOMAS application, i figured since they interview until may that it isn't terribly late to apply and also since they don't require lor's or secondaries before the interview? is this possible? have u guys heard of anyone doing this? my stats are 3.40 science overall and non-science and 23MCAT, i really want to try for this years entering class and also how much of the class is filled right now, even if they did give me an extension, do i still have a chance? thank you

BengaliDocIsl said:

Both your GPA and MCAT are below the average for NYCOM so there's no way that it would be a definite. NYCOM starts interviewing late (early december) so I'm not sure applying in june will give you that much of an advantage. I took the MCAT in August, submitted my primary ap in september, and was interviewed in early january. Try and beef up your application with shadowing, volunteering, and possibly retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
So listen to this guys, While I work in environmental consulting/engineering during the day, I wait tables at night for a little extra cash. I have alot of experience as a waiter so the resturant I work in now is a pretty snazzy affair (4 star, 5 course) about 1 hr north of NYC. So tonight, in walk these relatively affluent looking old people (2 men 1 woman) and they are seated in my section. In striking up some conversation with them I find out they are from out of town, here for a funeral, and looking for a good place to hang out on a monday night (which doesnt really exist up here where i live). So naturally I ask them where they are from. Old Westbury they say. So I tell them I am going to NYCOM to become a D.O. The guys look excited and offer congrats but the old lady struggles and lifts her hand with the 5 carat rock on it to her face in confusion and asks what a D.O. is. Luckily the guy that wasn't her husband was a pharmacist and articulated beautifully how D.O.s are like M.D.s but actually do more. After that they talked about living down there, how I should live in glen cove, and asked me more about my plans. Anyway, at the end the guy hands me back the check and says, "heres a little extra for school, good luck, we'll see You in LI"--- 40 tip on a 100 check. not bad.

Mike2010 said:
So listen to this guys, While I work in environmental consulting/engineering during the day, I wait tables at night for a little extra cash. I have alot of experience as a waiter so the resturant I work in now is a pretty snazzy affair (4 star, 5 course) about 1 hr north of NYC. So tonight, in walk these relatively affluent looking old people (2 men 1 woman) and they are seated in my section. In striking up some conversation with them I find out they are from out of town, here for a funeral, and looking for a good place to hang out on a monday night (which doesnt really exist up here where i live). So naturally I ask them where they are from. Old Westbury they say. So I tell them I am going to NYCOM to become a D.O. The guys look excited and offer congrats but the old lady struggles and lifts her hand with the 5 carat rock on it to her face in confusion and asks what a D.O. is. Luckily the guy that wasn't her husband was a pharmacist and articulated beautifully how D.O.s are like M.D.s but actually do more. After that they talked about living down there, how I should live in glen cove, and asked me more about my plans. Anyway, at the end the guy hands me back the check and says, "heres a little extra for school, good luck, we'll see You in LI"--- 40 tip on a 100 check. not bad.
Giddyup! :cool: However, I've heard Glen Cove is expensive :( Makes sense since they sounded wealthy. I was out at NYCOM this weekend and must say it seems like pretty afluent neighborhoods surrounding the school; I saw no less than 3 ferraris while there for only a couple hours! :eek:

Sorry guys, but I'll miss you at the get together this weekend - have fun though and hopefully I'll see you all in April at our next get-together!

I have a buddy at WashU who said they get a course in learning how to "read" journals - that is, how to critique studies, analyze the biostats, and get what you need to know from journal articles. Anyone know if NYCOM has a course like this?
I imagine that it would be tremendously helpful, esp when a patient comes to you and says, "Well, I heard in the news about this study..."

I had an undergrad class like that, im not sure about NYCOM though. If they have a journal club of any sort, active participation in such a group would accomplish the same goals as a class would. I think as long as you can figure out what the results of a research paper show the only other things that matter are who conducted the research and who funded it (as to asess the validity of the results). If red flags (i.e. funded by a drug company or researched by undergrads/phD candidates) come up in these areas then you may need to look at the procedural elements of the experiment. I dont know...

Biostats should be integrated into the Lecture curriculum. The math/stats involved in most research work is not very complicated. As long as you understand algebra you can teach yourself anything not covered at NYCOM. Also, the summer research programs would help you put that knowledge to use. You could learn the basics of reading research articles in just a couple of hours. Analyzing data would take more work depending on how much you want to rely on a computer.

Like Mike2010 says, journal clubs usually discuss research data and with enough exposure you will see the same methods of analysis used. I'm sure a number of the medical specialty clubs have some type of journal club session.

nvshelat said:
I have a buddy at WashU who said they get a course in learning how to "read" journals - that is, how to critique studies, analyze the biostats, and get what you need to know from journal articles. Anyone know if NYCOM has a course like this?
I imagine that it would be tremendously helpful, esp when a patient comes to you and says, "Well, I heard in the news about this study..."

Hey guys as March is flying by I am getting a bit anxious about housing. Is there a board/website where NYCOMers discuss stuff like this? I am not really sure where to start....considered looking online or contacting an agent.....advice would be appreciated.

yasha83 said:
Hey guys as March is flying by I am getting a bit anxious about housing. Is there a board/website where NYCOMers discuss stuff like this? I am not really sure where to start....considered looking online or contacting an agent.....advice would be appreciated.

If you are part of the NYCOM contact list (ask Shannon), one of the students is into real estate and has some properties exclusively for sale to incoming NYCOM students. PM me if you need more info.

NUKid
:thumbup:

NUKid said:
If you are part of the NYCOM contact list (ask Shannon), one of the students is into real estate and has some properties exclusively for sale to incoming NYCOM students. PM me if you need more info.

NUKid
:thumbup:

for sale or rent?

lilzelda said:
for sale or rent?

Mostly for rent but if you are interested in sales he also might be of help

Is it possible to find a studio or a 1BR at <900/mo? I'm really picky with living conditions, etc, so I'm thinking it might be easier to get a studio, but Glen Cove is looking extremely expensive for studios...

Also, is there a particular apartment complex where many students live? It would be nice to live around other students as opposed to being sprawled out all over the place.

yasha83 said:
Yes, the NYCOM webboard. However, you need to be officially registered in the school and register to use it since it requires a pw and username.
http://meet.nyit.edu/ They have a whole thread for housing with lots of posts. I can copy some of them for you.

According to an email from NYCOM's IS dept. to me, we won't be receiving access to the webboard until early May.

hey guys sorry if this is annoying but does anyone know the thread were nycom's clinical hospitals are listed

thanks

Just spoke with Fin. Aid - The grad plus prog is going into effect in July, so we'll be eligible for it. The basic idea is that it covers tuition + fees that Stafford won't cover (I think).

http://www.nationaled.net/grad_plus_faq.asp

It says on the website that some of past classes got PDA's for free is that true?

Has anyone heard any updates from NYCOM lately?

Also, I kept hearing things about a really small gym - never saw it on our tour, but can we use NYIT's gym instead?

nvshelat said:

Also, I kept hearing things about a really small gym - never saw it on our tour, but can we use NYIT's gym instead?
Yes, but I have heard NYIT's gym is very tiny as well. I've been told the large, nice gym is only for sports teams' use?

PDAs are given out the end of 2nd year.

I head rumores of a tiny NYCOM gym and when I saw it on the interview tour I almost laughed. It looks like a 20' x 20' room with a seperate stretching area from what I remember. the bigger question is if it ever gets busy and when.

There is an outdoor basketball court next to the parking lot.

no idea on NYIT gym though.

Hopefully we will have web board access in the next month.

School starts in less than 5 months!!

With 300 people in the incoming class does anybody know how active the intramurals are?

HunterGatherer said:
With 300 people in the incoming class does anybody know how active the intramurals are?

I asked my tour guide this and he said baseball, volleyball, and flag football are popular, but they're more just pickup games. I was interested in starting a jogging/running club - I started weight lifting as a new yr's resolution and now I'm addicted, but I'd like to get back into competitive running as well...

nvshelat said:

The only "update" i heard from NYCOM is them finally cashing my check -- after 3 months! After which they promptly sent me ANOTHER packet with the immunization forms and DPC curriculum info/application. :confused: they need to work on efficiency, methinks!

nvshelat said:
I asked my tour guide this and he said baseball, volleyball, and flag football are popular, but they're more just pickup games. I was interested in starting a jogging/running club - I started weight lifting as a new yr's resolution and now I'm addicted, but I'd like to get back into competitive running as well...

Really? Intramural baseball? Sign me up...

anybody receive fin. aid info?

so I call NYCOM and I'm told that FA letters were not mailed out but will be soon. check the mail later on and find my FA packet from NYCOM. I'm wondering if I should always ask to talk to Student Affairs or Student Services when I call.

Anyway NYCOM is now a school as lender. You may use them instead of a bank. This was mentioned at the Open House in 2005 and it is up and running now. NYCOM did not list any banks in the packet so I did not compare anything yet. They state interest paid will be used to fund scholarships.

also included:
explanation of some loans (Title VII and Grad PLUS), exit interview and other stuff.

I imagine those accepted in January or earlier will get an FA letter soon.

thanks man ur always so prompt and thorough greatly appreciated

HunterGatherer said:
Anyway NYCOM is now a school as lender. You may use them instead of a bank. This was mentioned at the Open House in 2005 and it is up and running now. NYCOM did not list any banks in the packet so I did not compare anything yet. They state interest paid will be used to fund scholarships.

Do they have any incentive to have lower interest rates than the private banks? If so, then correct me if I'm wrong, but the order would be Stafford first, then Grad plus loans, then nycom loans for cost of living?

I just mailed my deposit in today. I have a question for all of you guys though. Does anyone know the dates for orientation and the first day of school are? I'm going to try and plan a quick vacation with my family before the start of school and was wondering when I had till.

If anyone has those dates please post to the board. Thanks.

Adam

I called today to find out the same information. The admissions office said that the 1st (and only) day of orientation is Monday, August 21st, and classes start the next day. She said the admissions office isn't in charge of these things, and they'll mail us more info at a later date...but so far, the 21st is the date.

Stafford Loan
NYCOM Student as Lender in partnership with Sallie Mae:
- Zero Origination Fee
- 1% Default Fee deducted from your disbursed loans
-6.8% interest rate on loans disbursed on or after July 1,2006

Perkins
based on when you submitted FAFSAhttp://www.salliemae.com/apply/borrowing/perkins.html
Federal Perkins loans are low interest student loans awarded by colleges on the basis of need. College financial aid offices determine whether you qualify for federal Perkins loans and decide the amount of the loan. Colleges that participate in the Perkins loan program have a limited amount of money they can distribute, so they award these loans very selectively.

The primary features and conditions of the program are explained below. See your schools financial aid counselor for more information.

-Graduate: $6,000 to $40,000 maximum per year
-5% Interest rate (fixed for the life of the loan).
-No origination or insurance fees:

TAP
Graduate Students
Must be a legal resident of New York State.
1. For all graduate students, awards range from $75 to $550.
2. Graduate or professional students may also receive an additional four years of TAP. Eligible students can receive a maximum of eight years of combined undergraduate/graduate assistance.
http://www.hesc.com/bulletin.nsf/0/3CA243796A98D19D85256D88006B4AD3

Grad Plus
-must have no adverse credit
-3% origination fee
-1% default fee deducted from disbursed loans
-consolidation: Yes
-8.5% interest rate on loans disbursed on or after July 1,2006

Private
-interest rate based on LIBOR or Prime plus a % based on credit/credit score
-eligibility based on credit/credit score
-most dont charge orignation fees
-consolidation?

Primary Care Loan
scholarship for disadvantaged students
loans for disadvantaged students
NY state regents Health Care Scholarship
Armed Forces Scholarship
national medical fellowships

nvshelat said:
Do they have any incentive to have lower interest rates than the private banks? If so, then correct me if I'm wrong, but the order would be Stafford first, then Grad plus loans, then nycom loans for cost of living?

I was very confused on all of this until I sat down this morning to finally figure this all out. i can't offer advice but hopefully the post above makes things a bit more clear. Posting it sure helped me.

the first loan would be Stafford Loan which is offered by NYCOM in partnership with Sallie Mae. A loan that you don't get the 1% default fee deducted from your disbursement may be better depnding on your situation. Not sure how cooperative NYCOM would be with choosing another lender just to keep a 1% fee that has to be paid regardless.

Private Loans might be better than the Grad Plus depending on fees, your credit, and what the interest rate comes out to for your private loan.

Perkins and the other need based loans are great if you can get them.

$36,667 is the TOTAL amount we can borrow combining Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidize? This NYCOM FA folder say so and I think its the first time I noticed/read that.

I have a question for the form "Title VII Supplemental Data Request Form For SDS and PCL": For the line that says "I come from a health profession shortage area or medically under-served community, " I remember on my AMCAS application(allopathic) next to both my place of birth and the town I currently live in there was a (U) meaning under-represented. Does this mean I can check that box?

Nice,,, we start classes on my 23rd birthday haha. I got my financial aid stuff yesterday, tried to call them a few minutes ago to see how this all plays out w/ a military scholarship but i think they are at lunch until 1pm since i got the answering machine. On another note, it would be totally sweet if there were some good intramural programs in place when we get there.

HunterGatherer said:
I was very confused on all of this until I sat down this morning to finally figure this all out. i can't offer advice but hopefully the post above makes things a bit more clear. Posting it sure helped me.

the first loan would be Stafford Loan which is offered by NYCOM in partnership with Sallie Mae. A loan that you don't get the 1% default fee deducted from your disbursement may be better depnding on your situation. Not sure how cooperative NYCOM would be with choosing another lender just to keep a 1% fee that has to be paid regardless.

Private Loans might be better than the Grad Plus depending on fees, your credit, and what the interest rate comes out to for your private loan.

Perkins and the other need based loans are great if you can get them.

$36,667 is the TOTAL amount we can borrow combining Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidize? This NYCOM FA folder say so and I think its the first time I noticed/read that.
HG, I'm still confused. Should we just check "maximum allowed" for #7 and #8 on the form if we don't have any outside assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.