***Official OMS 2017 Match Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats everyone. anyone know where did the ucla and columbia ppl match into?

From the people I know, this year UCLA matched students into:
UConn
NYU
Louisville
USC
USC
Parkland
Parkland
Woodhull
U of Washington
Vanderbilt
Case Western
Beth Israel
Allegheny
Pittsburgh
that I know of

Members don't see this ad.

Program Matched: TAMHSC/ Baylor (4 year)
Dental School Attended: UNC- Chapel Hill
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2015
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: Pass/ 75
Class Ranking/Size: Top 15%/ 82
Externship(s)/where: None- Military candidate- recipient of FTOS Navy scholarship. Completed GPR 2016. Present- Non-cat intern at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Research: none in dental school
Extracurriculars: various volunteering/ NPO during dental school. None while commissioned military officer
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 10/7/6/4

Welcome to the party. Enjoy Bethesda while you can, see you soon brotha

Welcome to our new Parkland interns! Don't forget to shave your ankles (per tradition).

Congratulations to all that matched, and to those who didn't-- I hope you can secure a solid non-cat position. Happy to see some of the externs/interviewees from Parkland ended up at great programs.

Do you and and my boy Reed still shave each others ankles? Thats cute. 6 more months and Ill be back in town with you filthy animals

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From the people I know, this year UCLA matched students into:
UConn
NYU
Louisville
USC
USC
Parkland
Parkland
Woodhull
U of Washington
Vanderbilt
Case Western
Beth Israel
Allegheny
Pittsburgh
that I know of

+UCSF

Do you and and my boy Reed still shave each others ankles? Thats cute. 6 more months and Ill be back in town with you filthy animals

I'll save a razor for your hairy ankles.

Program Matched: UCSF
Dental School Attended: UCSF
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: pass/ 67
Class Ranking/Size: No rank, but several "honors"
Externship(s)/where: Scotland, MGH, UCSF
Research: Summer Fellow + several leadership roles
Extracurriculars: self-employeed, OMFS club contributor, etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 17/2/2/2

I decided to pursue OMFS at the end of second year and scrambled to get all of the externships and shadowing experience I needed -- feeling incredibly fortunate to have matched considering the huge and talented applicant pool this year.

Program Matched: UCSF
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: pass/ 67
Class Ranking/Size: No rank, but several "honors"
Externship(s)/where: Scotland, MGH, UCSF
Research: Summer Fellow + several leadership roles
Extracurriculars: self-employeed, OMFS club contributor, etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 17/2/2/2

I decided to pursue OMFS at the end of second year and scrambled to get all of the externships and shadowing experience I needed -- feeling incredibly fortunate to have matched considering the huge and talented applicant pool this year.

Do you have to pay full tuition for all 4 med school years? Their website doesn't clarify.

Do you have to pay full tuition for all 4 med school years? Their website doesn't clarify.
I heard they pay 4 years and do 4 years, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. The question is do they get paid salary for only 2 years then?

Pretty sure that you pay tuition all 4 years but get a stipend throughout all years including med school but that stipend only ends up being something like $900/month during most of med school part; it goes up after that. I have a friend that goes there, something he told me when I last saw him few months ago as a second year resident/med student there.

150k-32k stipend=128k in total tuition. This is just tuition, not full cost of attendance (very high in San fran) and assuming stipend is tax free (or not reported...lol fraudulennttt). Bit much. Note that I also did not account for 6-8% compound interest.

4 years of med school really takes away from cutting time. Might have to add it to that omfs program review thread in a year monolo. If you have the time.

Last edited:
Approximately 170k for all 4 years without considering cost of living and the minimal monthly stipend that they receive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether they post or not, we all know what we gotta do.

#TeamStudious

Decent list (albeit not inclusive) aside from the "highly selective" category. Nearly all of those programs you typed regardless of the category are "highly selective" six year programs. Those programs have the same 30 or so 70+ CBSE, top 10-20% class rank, six year applicants at their interviews (several other programs not mentioned fall under this umbrella too). And beyond that, programs don't "select", they get who they get based on match results, which heavily, heavily favors the applicant.

Columbia was 18 of 19 or something like that after post-match. All but 1 matched. Programs included Columbia (2), Thomas Jefferson, Cornell, Kings, Sinai, Beth Israel/Jacobi, NYU, Penn, Mayo, Emory, UT Knoxville, Baylor, 2 military, OHSU, Emory, UNC. Probably 1 or 2 more I've left out.

Reactions: 2 users
Columbia was 18 of 19 or something like that after post-match. All but 1 matched. Programs included Columbia (2), Thomas Jefferson, Cornell, Kings, Sinai, Beth Israel/Jacobi, NYU, Penn, Mayo, Emory, UT Knoxville, Baylor, 2 military, OHSU, Emory, UNC. Probably 1 or 2 more I've left out.

And 90% of them were named John.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Program Matched: UT San Antonio
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: Pass/78
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10% with UCSF honors system
Externship(s)/where: Louisville 1 week, NYU 1 week, UCSF 2 weeks, San Antonio 1 week
Research: TMJ Surgeries (made a poster)
Extracurriculars: OMFS Club Founder and CoPresident, Schweitzer Fellow, School Tutor
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20/17/10/8

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Decent list (albeit not inclusive) aside from the "highly selective" category. Nearly all of those programs you typed regardless of the category are "highly selective" six year programs. Those programs have the same 30 or so 70+ CBSE, top 10-20% class rank, six year applicants at their interviews (several other programs not mentioned fall under this umbrella too). And beyond that, programs don't "select", they get who they get based on match results, which heavily, heavily favors the applicant.

Last edited by a moderator:
more about selective programs. from what i heard anecdotally the interviewees for the 6 year spots at rutgers, ut knoxville, and baylor were all high 70s to low 80s CBSE

The highly selective programs invited the creme de la creme of applicants this cycle and having a 70+ CBSE, top 10-20% class rank wasn't competitive enough for some to receive an interview at these programs.

Which is the same for all of those programs listed and others.

This is to get back on track:

Program Matched: Miami JMH
Dental School Attended: CWRU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2012
NBDE Part I / NBME scores:70
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: CWRU, Baylor, Rochester, Minnesota
Research: none
Extracurriculars: Shadowing and Mission trips
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 30/3/3/2

This is to get back on track:

Program Matched: Miami JMH
Dental School Attended: CWRU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2012
NBDE Part I / NBME scores:70
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: CWRU, Baylor, Rochester, Minnesota
Research: none
Extracurriculars: Shadowing and Mission trips
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 30/3/3/2

What was the reason for 3 interviews for 30 applications? Was it the 70 NBME?

there were a lot of applicants from columbia with the first name John

What was the reason for 3 interviews for 30 applications? Was it the 70 NBME?

No intern year and he got his degree 5 years ago would be the most reasonable assumption. This assumption is purely made from previous anecdotal Studentdoctor information. Take with grain of salt. 70 cbse is impressive though. puts him AT LEAST 1 standard deviation above most omfs applicants. So top 15%.

My experience from this years cycle was that you need mid-70s at least for most bigger name 6-year programs. Scores in the 80s are becoming more and more common on the interview trail, and there are a few 90s here and there but those still remain rare.

• Wow
No intern year and he got his degree 5 years ago would be the most reasonable assumption. This assumption is purely made from previous anecdotal Studentdoctor information. Take with grain of salt. 70 cbse is impressive though. puts him AT LEAST 1 standard deviation above most omfs applicants. So top 15%.

What CBSE is sufficient for interviews (assuming I go to a school that doesn't really rank)?

70 is not a bad score. while it may be top 15% of cbse scores (the average cbse score means nothing because people retake it), it's definitely not top 15% for competitive oms applicants. from what i've seen on the interview trail, there are very few people with a score less than 70. dental students are learning how to beat the cbse and competitive oms applicants are scoring higher than ever, and it's really evident at the selective 6 years. i interviewed at places where most people had an eighty or above. even at four year programs, almost everyone i've talked to had a score higher than 75. this year may be an anomaly, but now i would suggest people aim for an 80 if they want to be competitive/stand out (when competitive used to be 70)

• Wow
70 is not a bad score. while it may be top 15% of cbse scores (the average cbse score means nothing because people retake it), it's definitely not top 15% for competitive oms applicants. from what i've seen on the interview trail, there are very few people with a score less than 70. dental students are learning how to beat the cbse and competitive oms applicants are scoring higher than ever, and it's really evident at the selective 6 years. i interviewed at places where most people had an eighty or above. even at four year programs, almost everyone i've talked to had a score higher than 75. this year may be an anomaly, but now i would suggest people aim for an 80 if they want to be competitive/stand out (when competitive used to be 70)
While I am a couple years away from interviewing, I think there is a self selection bias. I think many of the places someone with a top 20% rank and 65-69 cbse score would apply are different from the places someone with a 70-85 top 5% would apply. You might fall in the latter category and therefore feel a 75 with top 10% is necessary because everyone in your immediate surroundings has a similar rank/score. I do not think this represents all competitive applicants though. This is just conjecture, however. Your anecdotal evidence is probably more reliable.

Know at least 4 who matched with scores less than 70. 2 of these below 65. Rest of the application was non-remarkable either.

Although there are certainly more applicants with higher cbse scores and the scores will continue to increase as more students learn what is needed to obtain a good score, I don't necessarily agree with the above statements. There are many applicants who have in the 60's and many are very competitive and match to great programs. You don't have to have a 75+ to match into an oms residency. Don't get me wrong, oms is a very competitive specialty, but sdn can be misleading at times.

Reactions: 1 users
What is a good CBSE that would impress 4-year programs?

Although there are certainly more applicants with higher cbse scores and the scores will continue to increase as more students learn what is needed to obtain a good score, I don't necessarily agree with the above statements. There are many applicants who have in the 60's and many are very competitive and match to great programs. You don't have to have a 75+ to match into an oms residency. Don't get me wrong, oms is a very competitive specialty, but sdn can be misleading at times.

Plenty of people matched with scores in the 60s this year. I'm betting there's a few 50s that still matched.

HSDM was 7/7 this year:

MGH (x2)
Mayo
Penn
Michigan
LSU NO
UTHSCSA

Last edited:

Some hard data to support that 80 is the new goal: the AVERAGE score of interviewees at UCLA was 82, and 81 at Columbia (humbling numbers for me...) These were the only two schools that I interviewed at that disclosed the averages of people they interviewed, but considering there was little variation in the 6 yr crowd I'd imagine other schools were similar, though these two programs notoriously love super high scores.

Let me clarify the statement from the website since I believe you're misinterpreting the info. After Match Day our incoming First Year Residents are required to retake the NBME CBSE (regardless of previous score) and achieve at least a 70 before being allowed to sit for USMLE Step 1. If you visit our actual "Application Requirements" page there is no minimum CBSE score to apply. @GetBuckets if there is another part of the site that states a 70+ is necessary for an interview please PM me.

Having said that...unofficially, I can tell you that about 90% of the applicants interviewed this year had scored higher than 70 on the CBSE. For official information you can refer to the website or contact the program secretary.

Congrats to everyone who matched this year as the applicant pool was extremely strong.

@Sublimazing Ah! You're right - I see the distinction, thanks for clarifying.

Plenty of people matched with scores in the 60s this year. I'm betting there's a few 50s that still matched.
I know a person who matched at a 4 year with a cbse score in the low 50s. Wasn't top of the class either and had no research

Some hard data to support that 80 is the new goal: the AVERAGE score of interviewees at UCLA was 82, and 81 at Columbia (humbling numbers for me...) These were the only two schools that I interviewed at that disclosed the averages of people they interviewed, but considering there was little variation in the 6 yr crowd I'd imagine other schools were similar, though these two programs notoriously love super high scores.
these average scores this year could be skewed by the fact that one kid from Columbia who interviewed this year made a 99 and another Columbia kid scored in the 90s. Hell, the top 8 kids at Columbia probably scored 80 and higher and all of them most likely applied and interviewed at the same places.

I know a person who matched at a 4 year with a cbse score in the low 50s. Wasn't top of the class either and had no research

Must be the son of a hospital board member lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This year NYU matched to

UCSF
U of Washington
BU
Emory
McGill
Montefiore
St Joseph
Madigan

Maybe more I'm not sure

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

any idea which programs have this kind of liniency for cbse scores ? since I have a similar score

any idea which programs have this kind of liniency for cbse scores ? since I have a similar score

Ones where you're the child/long time family friend of faculty or did a intern year where you excelled.