*****Official PASS 2027 Endodontic Residency Interviews/Information***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve heard UCSF Endo can be pretty toxic and that the program director favors Persian applicants/residents. My friend externed there and felt like the Persian residents were treated differently than the non-Persian residents. I’ve also noticed they seem to accept a lot of Persian residents lol. I want to apply there next cycle, but I’m kinda hesitant and would rather put my effort into making connections at other programs if this is actually true. I keep hearing mixed things though. Can anyone who’s been there confirm or deny this?
This is very true. They strongly favor persians and usually get one person straight out of UCSF. Not sure why they bother interviewing so many people for 3 spots
 
I have solid connections at two programs (faculty from undergrad endo years ago) and I didn’t even land an interview at those schools. As a matter of fact the only interviews I received were from schools I knew nobody. Not downplaying the importance of connections, but each program seems to be looking for something different, not necessarily the best stats or experience. Also in hindsight I wouldn’t waste your money applying to Texas schools unless you’re from Texas or went there for undergrad.
You think you have "connections". You don't know the stuff that goes on behind closed doors 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It just came to mind as I remember looking into that program and none of my other buddies applying were looking at it, felt like a random one that doesn’t have as much name recognition.

That tracks with every PD I talked to, seems like >100 applicants per spot is the standard. I hope endo doesn’t go the ortho route and start popping up residencies everywhere with big class sizes. I think the upfront cost and space required will prevent schools from doing this, but I think endo is becoming (if not already) the hottest residency. The demand is definitely there.
Shortage of qualified directors...hard to start new endo programs
 
You think you have "connections". You don't know the stuff that goes on behind closed doors 🙂
If it’s not with someone in the room when they’re choosing residents it’s probably a weak or insignificant connection. A lot of programs do a vote, so having a resident in your corner may still not push the needle enough if the PD and others like someone else more…
 
Last edited:
This is very true. They strongly favor persians and usually get one person straight out of UCSF. Not sure why they bother interviewing so many people for 3 spots

Yeah, my friend did an externship there and basically confirmed it. The class is two Persian students and one student straight out of UCSF. So at this point, if you’re not Persian or from UCSF, dont bother applying lol
 
If you're not korean, you are already at a huge disadvantage for columbia. The PD is korean and pretty sure like 10/12 of their residents are korean or something like that.
agree w that. Felt like i was at a disadvantage last year when i interviewed even though i know my interview went very well
 
just want some opinions.. i'll likely be graduating endo with about $550k in loans (which includes residency, dental school, and undergrad). How feasable/quick do you think this can be paid off or will I be paying this off for a long time. About $400k will be with around 8% interest. The rest is closer to 3-6%. Thanks for thoughts!
 
just want some opinions.. i'll likely be graduating endo with about $550k in loans (which includes residency, dental school, and undergrad). How feasable/quick do you think this can be paid off or will I be paying this off for a long time. About $400k will be with around 8% interest. The rest is closer to 3-6%. Thanks for thoughts!
Hey man the reality is that 550k is alot and it will take lots of sacrifices to pay this off. Remember though.. at least you will be an endodontist with a chance to earn top dollars. There are many associate GPs who have the same debt. I really feel for those guys.
 
just want some opinions.. i'll likely be graduating endo with about $550k in loans (which includes residency, dental school, and undergrad). How feasable/quick do you think this can be paid off or will I be paying this off for a long time. About $400k will be with around 8% interest. The rest is closer to 3-6%. Thanks for thoughts!
I’m in the same boat. Reading online, seems like we certainly won’t be the first to do it. Many say they paid it off in under 10 years. Worst case scenario, we barely break even with GP average but we get to do our dream job daily. Financially, it’s still a great long term investment especially if you are still young.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
University of Michigan- Offers Sent
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - Offers Sent
University of California at Los Angeles - Offers Sent
University of Nebraska - Offers Sent
Virginia Commonwealth University - Offers Sent
Tufts University - Offers Sent
Temple University - Offers Sent
Marquette University - Offers Sent
University of Pennsylvania - Offers Sent
University of Detroit Mercy - Offers Sent
Boston University - Offers Sent
Harvard University - Offers Sent
University of Southern California - Offers Sent
NOVA - Offers Sent
University at Buffalo - Offers sent
AIDM - Offers sent
Southern Illinois University - Offers sent
Loma Linda University - Offers sent

Interviews (according to date)
West Virginia University - Interview (August 7)
University of the Pacific - Interview (August 27)
University of Connecticut - Interview (?)
Columbia University - Interview (Aug 11th, 12th, 18th, 19th, 25th and 26th)

Invites not yet sent:
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico
 
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
University of Michigan- Offers Sent
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - Offers Sent
University of California at Los Angeles - Offers Sent
University of Nebraska - Offers Sent
Virginia Commonwealth University - Offers Sent
Tufts University - Offers Sent
Temple University - Offers Sent
Marquette University - Offers Sent
University of Pennsylvania - Offers Sent
University of Detroit Mercy - Offers Sent
Boston University - Offers Sent
Harvard University - Offers Sent
University of Southern California - Offers Sent
NOVA - Offers Sent
University at Buffalo - Offers sent
AIDM - Offers sent
Southern Illinois University - Offers sent
Loma Linda University - Offers sent
University of Connecticut - Offers Sent
Columbia University - Offers Sent


Interviews (according to date)
West Virginia University - Interview (August 7)
University of the Pacific - Interview (August 27)

Invites not yet sent:
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico
 
Well I finally got an offer after 4 interviews- thank you all for the help along the way. One of the expensive private programs said they got 200ish applications this year for 3 spots and 300ish last year, so it seems like BBB has been very influential for those programs. If you’ve been working for a few years or had a scholarship for dental school then consider applying more broadly for the expensive programs because they are now slightly easier to get in while the cheap/stipended ones are probably exponentially harder to get in.
 
Well I finally got an offer after 4 interviews- thank you all for the help along the way. One of the expensive private programs said they got 200ish applications this year for 3 spots and 300ish last year, so it seems like BBB has been very influential for those programs. If you’ve been working for a few years or had a scholarship for dental school then consider applying more broadly for the expensive programs because they are now slightly easier to get in while the cheap/stipended ones are probably exponentially harder to get in.
I think those expensive programs just pivot by accepting international people with unlimited 💰. Get their money verified and up front.
 
I think those expensive programs just pivot by accepting international people with unlimited 💰. Get their money verified and up front.
Yea perhaps, either way there’s like 30% fewer applicants so if your goal is to become an endodontist and you can afford it then your chances are much higher with the expensive programs. Ultimately once you start working it’s pretty easy to pay off if you don’t have a ton of predoc loans added in addition, and the trade off of not getting in and spending another year doing gen dent and spending 5-20k applying next cycle for however many years may leave you worse off financially anyways. But I’m just sharing some inside insights I heard along the way this year that may help others for next cycle so do with it what you will
 
Yea perhaps, either way there’s like 30% fewer applicants so if your goal is to become an endodontist and you can afford it then your chances are much higher with the expensive programs. Ultimately once you start working it’s pretty easy to pay off if you don’t have a ton of predoc loans added in addition, and the trade off of not getting in and spending another year doing gen dent and spending 5-20k applying next cycle for however many years may leave you worse off financially anyways. But I’m just sharing some inside insights I heard along the way this year that may help others for next cycle so do with it what you will
How much debt are you going to finish residency with?
 
just want some opinions.. i'll likely be graduating endo with about $550k in loans (which includes residency, dental school, and undergrad). How feasable/quick do you think this can be paid off or will I be paying this off for a long time. About $400k will be with around 8% interest. The rest is closer to 3-6%. Thanks for thoughts!
Endodontists make roughly $100,000 per 1 day/week worked, which is a good rule of thumb
Assuming you graduate with $550,000 loan, and it grows to $700,000 in next 2-3 years
Assuming you grind 5 days per week making $500,000
Assuming you pay 30% taxes and take home $350,000/year
I am not going to tell you to live on rice and beans and don't travel or eat out, but can you live on $100,000?
$250,000 for 3 years should in theory comfortably pay off $700,000
After 3 years, you can cut workdays down to 4, or it would be the perfect time to start a practice

I don't understand why people treat student debt like a pet and keep it around for 10+ years
People on forum complain debt is suffocating, but their day-to-day finance tells a completely different story
You WILL be able to find a higher paying associateship 1-2 hours away from your ideal living location
You WILL aggressively attack debt if you maintain a cost of living DOUBLE when you were in dental school
 
Endodontists make roughly $100,000 per 1 day/week worked, which is a good rule of thumb
Assuming you graduate with $550,000 loan, and it grows to $700,000 in next 2-3 years
Assuming you grind 5 days per week making $500,000
Assuming you pay 30% taxes and take home $350,000/year
I am not going to tell you to live on rice and beans and don't travel or eat out, but can you live on $100,000?
$250,000 for 3 years should in theory comfortably pay off $700,000
After 3 years, you can cut workdays down to 4, or it would be the perfect time to start a practice

I don't understand why people treat student debt like a pet and keep it around for 10+ years
People on forum complain debt is suffocating, but their day-to-day finance tells a completely different story
You WILL be able to find a higher paying associateship 1-2 hours away from your ideal living location
You WILL aggressively attack debt if you maintain a cost of living DOUBLE when you were in dental school
I think a lot of it is also people want to finally take a break after decades of grinding and live a little, but the biggest would probably be if you're starting a family/buy a home and if you can actually find a 500k job
 
I think a lot of it is also people want to finally take a break after decades of grinding and live a little, but the biggest would probably be if you're starting a family/buy a home and if you can actually find a 500k job
Lol, so people who live on less than 100K a year in this country are not living?
It's like someone who doesn't want to move and only applies to 1 endo program, versus an applicant who is willing to relocate anywhere in the country. Our life is a consequence of our actions.
The motivation totally depends on how bad you want to pursue the specialty, and how bad you want to get rid of debt, you WILL find a way
 
I think a lot of it is also people want to finally take a break after decades of grinding and live a little, but the biggest would probably be if you're starting a family/buy a home and if you can actually find a 500k job
Did you attend a program that allowed moonlighting? I'll be in a similar boat with HPSP and GI bill, but I'll definitely have to take out loans because I have a family and mortgage. I don't have a loan amount in my head yet, but I imagine going in with no prior student loans and a conservative mortgage for a GP salary, I should expect to pay off in ~2-4 years while maintaining my current GP lifestyle. I imagine if your program allows moonlighting, you can work every other Saturday and at least get $2-3k/month, I'd just be nervous about burnout. The few endodontist job openings in my area are all $400-$450k/yr guarantee, so like you said it is location dependent and where you're willing to work. Definitely doable if you have DS debt with the salary potential of endo.
 
Did you attend a program that allowed moonlighting? I'll be in a similar boat with HPSP and GI bill, but I'll definitely have to take out loans because I have a family and mortgage. I don't have a loan amount in my head yet, but I imagine going in with no prior student loans and a conservative mortgage for a GP salary, I should expect to pay off in ~2-4 years while maintaining my current GP lifestyle. I imagine if your program allows moonlighting, you can work every other Saturday and at least get $2-3k/month, I'd just be nervous about burnout. The few endodontist job openings in my area are all $400-$450k/yr guarantee, so like you said it is location dependent and where you're willing to work. Definitely doable if you have DS debt with the salary potential of endo.
not sure but IMO all that hassle to moonlight probably isn't worth it to me. I'm in a program to learn and a tiny bit of money isn't going to move the needle much from moonlighting twice a month compared to potential income after grad. I'm inclined to just take out some loans again and quickly pay it back, but i guess it would also depend on how good available jobs are for moonlighting vs how fun the city your program is in tradeoff
 
Did you attend a program that allowed moonlighting? I'll be in a similar boat with HPSP and GI bill, but I'll definitely have to take out loans because I have a family and mortgage. I don't have a loan amount in my head yet, but I imagine going in with no prior student loans and a conservative mortgage for a GP salary, I should expect to pay off in ~2-4 years while maintaining my current GP lifestyle. I imagine if your program allows moonlighting, you can work every other Saturday and at least get $2-3k/month, I'd just be nervous about burnout. The few endodontist job openings in my area are all $400-$450k/yr guarantee, so like you said it is location dependent and where you're willing to work. Definitely doable if you have DS debt with the salary potential of endo.
Are you planning on working as a GP or limiting yourself to strictly endo when you moonlight?
 
Are you planning on working as a GP or limiting yourself to strictly endo when you moonlight?
Probably as GP. My current boss is open to it and would pay me a very good minimum ($1,200/day currently, would try to negotiate to $1,500/day w/o benefits). I'd be doing most of their endos but also any GP work including selective 3rds. I haven't had any endo offices show interest but it is still early. DSO offers consistently quote me new-grad rates ($600-$800/day) so that's definitely not worth it. I might not moonlight at all if I can get good loan rates, but I'll need a lot to cover my kids, suv, mortgage, etc. Currently living well below our means on my GP salary, but it's still scary to have no income for 2 years. Like previous commentators said, it may not be worth the extra stress/burden given the immediate income of new grad endo. I guess it'll come down to loan rates and how much effort/time I'm willing to sacrifice to save few bucks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
University of Michigan- Offers Sent
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - Offers Sent
University of California at Los Angeles - Offers Sent
University of Nebraska - Offers Sent
Virginia Commonwealth University - Offers Sent
Tufts University - Offers Sent
Temple University - Offers Sent
Marquette University - Offers Sent
University of Pennsylvania - Offers Sent
University of Detroit Mercy - Offers Sent
Boston University - Offers Sent
Harvard University - Offers Sent
University of Southern California - Offers Sent
NOVA - Offers Sent
University at Buffalo - Offers sent
AIDM - Offers sent
Southern Illinois University - Offers sent
Loma Linda University - Offers sent
West Virginia University - Offers Sent
NYU Langone Puerto Rico - Offers Sent
University of Connecticut - Offers Sent
Columbia University - Offers Sent
University of the Pacific - Offers Sent

Interviews:

none pending

Invites not yet sent:
Case Western Reserve University
 
Dose anyone know anybody got accepted with 3.6 GPA. No class rank!?
Is it worth to try to apply with 3.6 GPA. I heard from resident:schools want 3.8 gpa and anything below that they don’t even look at their application.

??
 
anything unique about your application if you dont mind me asking?
private practice ownership, involvement in the aae, first author publication, president of endo club at my school, and energetic personality at the interview. We never even got to the question "why endo" because we were just having a fun conversation. My biggest advice to applicants who manage to get an interview is that it's not about what you say, it's about how you say it. Once you get to the interview, everyone is on the same playing field. Rank 1 and rank 100 are the same. Personality wins in the end.
 
private practice ownership, involvement in the aae, first author publication, president of endo club at my school, and energetic personality at the interview. We never even got to the question "why endo" because we were just having a fun conversation. My biggest advice to applicants who manage to get an interview is that it's not about what you say, it's about how you say it. Once you get to the interview, everyone is on the same playing field. Rank 1 and rank 100 are the same. Personality wins in the end.
Do you mind if I ask which school you got accepted to?
 
Hello everyone! I am a military dentist getting my application together to apply for civilian endo next year. What is a competitive ADAT score nowadays? Also i took it two years ago so by the time I apply next year it will be 3+ years old. Is there a cut off for how long the scores are good for or what schools will accept? Trying to put together a competitive application but still will probably need a few cycles to get in so not sure if I will have to take the ADAT again. Thanks for any info
 
Hello everyone! I am a military dentist getting my application together to apply for civilian endo next year. What is a competitive ADAT score nowadays? Also i took it two years ago so by the time I apply next year it will be 3+ years old. Is there a cut off for how long the scores are good for or what schools will accept? Trying to put together a competitive application but still will probably need a few cycles to get in so not sure if I will have to take the ADAT again. Thanks for any info
They say 600+ is competitive! I believe the ADAT is generally good for about 2 years but that is dependent on each specific school. All that being said, during one of my interviews this past cycle, one of the schools didn’t even know what the ADAT was when I brought it up LOL. So if you really don’t need to take it, I wouldn’t worry about it. If I could go back, I would just not take the exam at all. Kind of a waste of money unless the school you specifically want to go to requires it or you want to compensate for lower GPA.
 
They say 600+ is competitive! I believe the ADAT is generally good for about 2 years but that is dependent on each specific school. All that being said, during one of my interviews this past cycle, one of the schools didn’t even know what the ADAT was when I brought it up LOL. So if you really don’t need to take it, I wouldn’t worry about it. If I could go back, I would just not take the exam at all. Kind of a waste of money unless the school you specifically want to go to requires it or you want to compensate for lower GPA.
Unfortunately I need to compensate for a bad GPA lol
 
Unfortunately I need to compensate for a bad GPA lol
For many programs, ADAT will have little influence on your application. Some PDs do care about it. It’s important to understand that just a high ADAT score won’t make up for GPA deficiencies. You will need something else in your application that makes you stand out. The more work experience you have, the less GPA/rank matters.

You said you were military. I was in a similar boat and can answer more questions you have in chat. Good luck and don’t downplay you service in applications!
 
Hello everyone! I am a military dentist getting my application together to apply for civilian endo next year. What is a competitive ADAT score nowadays? Also i took it two years ago so by the time I apply next year it will be 3+ years old. Is there a cut off for how long the scores are good for or what schools will accept? Trying to put together a competitive application but still will probably need a few cycles to get in so not sure if I will have to take the ADAT again. Thanks for any info
Just apply there is no official expiration date for the ADAT. if possible get good lor from your branch's current endo residency director. ADAT is more of formality of weeding out those who didn't take it. (if you get really high score maybe it may have some influence who knows)