Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Four II
1 R
2 WL
1 silence that will prob turn into a WL...it's my state school, where I interviewed in freaking September

I'm really surprised. I'm not a STELLAR applicant, but I an a URM non-trad with a 3.96 cGPA and 4.0 BCPM GPA. I thought someone would want me.

I know it's hard, I'm in the same boat...but you should feel really good about where you are. Medical schools don't give interviews out of pity, they saw something in your app that they liked enough to interview you and you even made it to some waitlists. If you don't get in this cycle your app is just one tweak away from an acceptance. Maybe you have a subpar LOR, or MCAT, or interview. Find out what's lacking, fix it, and you'll be in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who are less than confident about their MD cycle:

Do you regret not also applying DO? or would you rather be a reapplicant?

Tbh I don't know what to think, I'm hoping reapplying is a better option though since I didn't apply DO. The thought of reapplying fills me with total dread though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I do regret it, but I also couldn't really afford it.

I'm not sure if I'll be a reapplicant if I don't get in this time. Tbh this process disrupted so much of my life.

Reactions: 4 users
I am supposed to be focusing on retaking the MCAT for next cycle since this cycle is looking pretty sad

Sent from my iPhone
Me too :sigh: Realllyyy don't want to take it again, but my GPA won't budge much, so I've got to get my MCAT score up

I don't understand where other people find the time, money or schedule flexibility for this process. Just being able to attend interviews has required so much effort. Effort I'm willing to put in, but I am super envious of people who have parental-financing or something since hotel stays and flights are soo expensive, and I work full time!

I don't understand where other people find the time, money or schedule flexibility for this process. Just being able to attend interviews has required so much effort. Effort I'm willing to put in, but I am super envious of people who have parental-financing or something since hotel stays and flights are soo expensive, and I work full time!

Same. I can't afford to do this again. If I don't get in, I'll probably apply ED at my state school, but I don't see how I could afford the entire application process again.

I am a borderline applicant and I only applied MD last cycle. Got waitlisted and never made it in last cycle. Applied again this cycle and already accepted into DO while waiting on MD decisions. I don't regret not applying to DO last year at all. I was simply not ready to give up on MD without giving it another shot. I got my second chance to interview at MD schools again this year, and if I still don't get in, then I can honestly say that I tried my best and would be happy with attending a DO school. I just needed to give myself another chance.

Reactions: 7 users
Same. I can't afford to do this again. If I don't get in, I'll probably apply ED at my state school, but I don't see how I could afford the entire application process again.
Yup me too. Can't afford a second shot. In this cycle to MD/DO or I'm changing career paths.

I wish you best of luck at your state school then! I personally don't have a state school and am not really sure what I'll do if one of my II doesn't pan out, this career path is all I want and I'm willing to put in the hard work for it just the application process is so expensive

Kind of? I have some personal reasons for not applying DO (nothing to do with "prestige" or letters are my name). Though if I were to have to reapply, I would apply DO.

Me too :sigh: Realllyyy don't want to take it again, but my GPA won't budge much, so I've got to get my MCAT score up
I feel for you. I found studying for it a second time to be worse than the first time since I knew what I had to look forward to.

I know it's hard, I'm in the same boat...but you should feel really good about where you are. Medical schools don't give interviews out of pity, they saw something in your app that they liked enough to interview you and you even made it to some waitlists. If you don't get in this cycle your app is just one tweak away from an acceptance. Maybe you have a subpar LOR, or MCAT, or interview. Find out what's lacking, fix it, and you'll be in.
I'd suspect it's most likely interview skills. You don't get 4-5 II's with a bad application.

Read the interviewing guide that's on Amazon. It's amazing, and landed me a DO acceptance this cycle!!! Woot!!! Now if only one of those 30 MD programs would give me an interview... I'd be ready

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read the interviewing guide that's on Amazon. It's amazing, and landed me a DO acceptance this cycle!!! Woot!!! Now if only one of those 30 MD programs would give me an interview... I'd be ready

Any particular one? I just searched and there's dozens of medical school interview guides on there...

Applied to 31 MD programs. 15 rejections, 2 pre-II holds, 13 silence, and 1 interview at a school I will probably not attend (Caribe). I should have also applied DO; at the beginning of this cycle, I was an entitled and thought that my neuroscience degree from Columbia could make up for my terrible GPA and good, but not great MCAT. Sad part is that I really tried to reinvent myself in the past 1.5 years after graduation, but apparently, it didn't do me any good.

You guys, I'm so tired. It's now mid-February, making it almost exactly 8 months since I first started applying to med school. I know that there are many reapplicants on this thread who have had it worse, but just bear with me for a sec. I just need to get some words off my chest.

I'm tired of waking up every morning for the last few weeks thinking today will finally be the day when I get that acceptance, only to have the day go by with my hopes slowly sinking back to the ground. I'm tired of forcing myself to smile and pretend that everything's fine when I'm surrounded by other people who ask me about how my cycle is going. I've shed so much self-confidence this cycle, to the point where I am seriously questioning if I'm really cut out for this path. I miss feeling feeling proud of myself.

Hey, I completely identify with this - I was lucky to get several interviews early on, and was really looking forward to the December wave of decisions, hoping that I'd at least snag one acceptance, but nope. I did get a rejection though! Now that it's already the middle of February and I still haven't heard good news, so I feel a lot of pressure these days now that I know my last few chances are supposed to give out decisions anytime now. I wish I knew how to make it easier. I think I remember that you posted about a couple of recent invites in some of the threads I'm following, so you definitely have some good chances coming up. Hope an acceptance falls your way!

Reactions: 8 users
My god what schools out there don't have reasonably standard lengths of time to hear back?

You guys, I'm so tired. It's now mid-February, making it almost exactly 8 months since I first started applying to med school. I know that there are many reapplicants on this thread who have had it worse, but just bear with me for a sec. I just need to get some words off my chest.

I'm tired of waking up every morning for the last few weeks thinking today will finally be the day when I get that acceptance, only to have the day go by with my hopes slowly sinking back to the ground. I'm tired of forcing myself to smile and pretend that everything's fine when I'm surrounded by other people who ask me about how my cycle is going. I've shed so much self-confidence this cycle, to the point where I am seriously questioning if I'm really cut out for this path. I miss feeling feeling proud of myself.

Nothing comes easy without a struggle.

You've donated your heart so deeply to something, and that's more than an average person could say. Everything will be fine, because either you will succeed this year, next year, even the next, or the same devotion you've shown here will lend to success in all of your endeavors.

Remember, that you have the beautiful human luxury of getting to control your outlook on life. In times of self-doubt, know that tomorrow the sun will rise, and with it comes new opportunities to strengthen yourself, and of lesser importance, your application.

Reactions: 6 users

Thank you for being honest about this. I'm sorry you are also having such a difficult time this application season.

There is so much pressure to always have on a brave face and never express anything other than gratitude for the opportunity to even be an applicant, but this process becomes torturous at times. I'm a post-bacc. I dropped a large part of my life to go back to school to pursue medicine at 24. I'm almost 28 now. I've drained my savings for this process. I've put up with living in a borderline abusive living situation in order to be able to afford it. I was excited to get early interviews in September and October, but it turns out no one really likes me that much. I'm tired of being asked if I'm accepted yet, and I'm even more tired of people who suddenly found a newfound sense of confidence after getting accepted offering to give their ideas on all of the ways I might be really terrible. I'm tired of having to swallow the reality of waiting another however many weeks it will be until schools release their next decisions time and time again. Now that I'm on 2 waitlists, I'm looking at at least another 11 weeks before hearing anything. This has all coincided with other things I was looking forward to this year turning into hopes dashed, which makes it all worse, but I digress. I guess what I miss most is feeling hopeful that SOMETHING will go right.

Reactions: 10 users
I've shed so much self-confidence this cycle, to the point where I am seriously questioning if I'm really cut out for this path. I miss feeling feeling proud of myself.
You described how I feel perfectly.

Nothing worth having comes easy.

I know that it is easier said than done, but commit yourself to looking forward. Set small goals and focus on them. Life will be full of failure, regardless of whether you pursue medicine or not. How we respond to that is truly what defines us. There will always be days when you doubt yourself, that is human nature. Just try shifting your efforts and focus to the aspects of your life that you can control, rather than the outcomes that you can't. Schools that you're still getting silence from? Send in those updates. Is there something that you know your application is missing? Start working on improving that now.

I also think that is beneficial to find someone in your life that you trust that you can express these feelings to. Whether it is a friend, family member, or professional. Voicing them to someone that can talk it through with you can be very cathartic.

You can do this. I believe in you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good to know people fighting the same struggle, somethings gotta pull through for us soon! Curious to hear what other peeps have been doing w their waitlists. Sent updates so now im just chillin hahah

Drop a link please? I have my last two interviews at my top schools... with no acceptances in the bag I don't wanna blow it

Drop a link please? I have my last two interviews at my top schools... with no acceptances in the bag I don't wanna blow it
Amazon product

Can't recommend this enough. I read it with a pen in hand and self-critiqued and planned responses in the margins. Hope this helps! Good luck with your interview.

This is an excellent resource imo

Good to know people fighting the same struggle, somethings gotta pull through for us soon! Curious to hear what other peeps have been doing w their waitlists. Sent updates so now im just chillin hahah
For the school that takes updates, I've been sending them something every two months (don't have enough significant things to update on).

Amazon product

Can't recommend this enough. I read it with a pen in hand and self-critiqued and planned responses in the margins. Hope this helps! Good luck with your interview.

For those of you who can't see the link (like me), they linked "The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty" by Dr. Samir P. Desai. Read the book personally and definitely think its well written with good practical advice. The author is even on SDN.

Another week and still no news from anyone.

There's always next week!

This is my favorite thread on this forum. Thanks everyone for being so encouraging.

The application process can be rough. It's nice to have some like minded people to commiserate with.

Couple of DO acceptances, 1 MD waitlist, still waiting to hear back from 1 MD (should hear back 3/3). Hopefully I get into that school!

Was just rejected (pre-II) from a program I thought I stood the best chance at. Self-esteem is at -5000 now :)

Feeling useless, dumb, and stagnant YEAH! :) :) :)

Just received another II today, I thought I was done with interviews so this was a complete surprise. This makes II #8, I guess I should be happy? Still waiting on that acceptance though...
I'm in the same boat.

Initially 8 II, 1 turned down as it was too expensive to fly out. Waitlisted/alternate candidate everywhere and thought I was done, then one more II last week.

Amazon product

For the school that takes updates, I've been sending them something every two months (don't have enough significant things to update on).

For those of you who can't see the link (like me), they linked "The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty" by Dr. Samir P. Desai. Read the book personally and definitely think its well written with good practical advice. The author is even on SDN.

Just finished this book and I'm cringing about how my last interview went :laugh:. Glad I got this info for the last two. Seriously anyone with interviews left get this book!!!

Was just rejected (pre-II) from a program I thought I stood the best chance at. Self-esteem is at -5000 now :)

Feeling useless, dumb, and stagnant YEAH! :) :) :)
You're not alone I got rejected from my safety/fallback school lol. I was so thrown off.

Yep, more or less same boat. Rejected pre-II from my safety state school and interviewed last week at a top 10. Really don't know what to expect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, more or less same boat. Rejected pre-II from my safety state school and interviewed last week at a top 10. Really don't know what to expect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well they just knew you were too good for them ;-)

no such thing as a safety school in this process sadly :( hope you get good news from the top 10 soon!

no such thing as a safety school in this process sadly :( hope you get good news from the top 10 soon!
This cycle is crazy! I haven't even heard back from the school I am attending now. Hopefully something pulls through for everyone on here!

I just took a week-long break from SDN and discovered that I can almost literally feel my blood pressure drop once I stop using this site.
Be careful not to pass out

This exactly describes what I experienced last year. Much of this, I believe, is because building a successful application to medical school requires so much energy and devotion over a long time period that it becomes inextricably intertwined with your personality and how you view yourself. Thus, rejection of your application becomes a rejection of yourself, and a constant stream of rejection without any good news would wear anybody down.

I'm not going to tell you that it doesn't suck, because it definitely does, and I'm terribly sorry you are going through this. What I can tell you, and this is something I often forgot, is that you are infinitely more than just a medical school applicant and simply making it this far is an accomplishment. There's very little doubt in my mind that there is myriad of things you should be proud of yourself for, that are simply being overshadowed by all the negativity of the application process. My best advice to you would be to spend more time doing things that have absolutely nothing to do with applications or medical school, and just try to forget about it for awhile.

Also, just remember that it only has to work once. There's still plenty of time for a great many things to happen.

Reactions: 14 users
8 II's ---- 4 Silence 1 Rejection 3 Waitlist

Tired of the wait while I see my peers gain acceptances that have poorer stats, questionable motivations and work ethic. Tired of being told I must be a poor interviewer.

Tired of playing the game. Tired of the assumption that diversity, uniqueness, disadvantage, or the grandiose motivation narrative -- the stuff the Ad Coms want to hear, will make the best physicians. Tired of being honest, hard-working and down-to-earth and viewing medicine as a career/job that I would enjoy performing and be good at only to get passed over for individuals with buzz-word qualities that are meaningless with regards to the practice of medicine, and have yet to be linked to practicing better medicine. Tired of seeing my peers, some whom I know to be underhanded, lazy, cheaters or bull****ters get the acceptances because they talked big while I was honest, realistic and straightforward. Tired of the Ad Coms admitting the candidates they deem as superior or a "better fit" but whom I know to be going through the motions to get an MD degree to please their parents and associated bragging rights. Tired of my accomplishments being perceived as uninteresting compared to those who have taller tales but smaller stats and ECs. Tired of the Ad Coms being no different than the candidates they admit, for admitting what "looks good" for the school however insincere or unrealistic they may be. Sick of what I have to say and do to gain an acceptance... and the response an honest post like this will provoke. Tired of what I have seen and experienced during this whole process that will be regarded as misperception, emotionalism or immaturity. Maybe I don't want to be a physician anymore either after seeing what I see in this whole process. Lost respect for Ad Coms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
8 II's ---- 4 Silence 1 Rejection 3 Waitlist

Tired of the wait while I see my peers gain acceptances that have poorer stats, questionable motivations and work ethic. Tired of being told I must be a poor interviewer.

Tired of playing the game. Tired of the assumption that diversity, uniqueness, disadvantage, or the grandiose motivation narrative -- the stuff the Ad Coms want to hear, will make the best physicians. Tired of being honest, hard-working and down-to-earth and viewing medicine as a career/job that I would enjoy performing and be good at only to get passed over for individuals with buzz-word qualities that are meaningless with regards to the practice of medicine, and have yet to be linked to practicing better medicine. Tired of seeing my peers, some whom I know to be underhanded, lazy, cheaters or bull****ters get the acceptances because they talked big while I was honest, realistic and straightforward. Tired of the Ad Coms admitting the candidates they deem as superior or a "better fit" but whom I know to be going through the motions to get an MD degree to please their parents and associated bragging rights. Tired of my accomplishments being perceived as uninteresting compared to those who have taller tales but smaller stats and ECs. Tired of the Ad Coms being no different than the candidates they admit, for admitting what "looks good" for the school however insincere or unrealistic they may be. Sick of what I have to say and do to gain an acceptance... and the response an honest post like this will provoke. Tired of what I have seen and experienced during this whole process that will be regarded as misperception, emotionalism or immaturity. Maybe I don't want to be a physician anymore either after seeing what I see in this whole process. Lost respect for Ad Coms.
Just go sweat it out. The process isn't meant to be fair or perfect but the Adcoms do their best with the resources they have.

I know many on this thread might have more IIs or better stats or w/e but just glad to know I am not the only one(although does that make me a bad person for taking comfort that others know what I feel?). Anyways, 4 IIs at this point. 1 interview to go, 1 wait list, 2 schools that don't make their waitlist until March but I didn't receive an immediate rejection. Just plugging along trying to improve myself as a candidate. For those who are saying they can't wait another cycle, are you reapplicants? I will just say from personal experience that if medicine is truly what you want to do, then another year is not the end of the world. I'm a non traditional who left a good job for my dream job. Hope springs eternal!

I will just say from personal experience that if medicine is truly what you want to do, then another year is not the end of the world. I'm a non traditional who left a good job for my dream job. Hope springs eternal!

Not practically possible for everyone here to reapply.

This thread was making me anxious about what might happen to me in the coming cycle (first time applicant this summer 2017).

However, I spent a few minutes thinking about how I would feel around this time next year and if I could handle the disappointment. I know some of you, have had your confidence and self-esteem dropped significantly, but it won't be the end of the world.

Here is a reminder to myself (around this time next year) and to all other who are here today/in the future:
Just keep your head held high. Think of possibilities instead of limitations. Because at the end of the day, everything will be okay. Everything will work out eventually. It may not be what you always wanted, but it won't be the end of the world.
Even at the end of this application cycle, if you don't get accepted anywhere, try again next cycle, or may be consider DO programs. If you stay motivated towards this path and is determined to achieve your goals of being a doctor, you'll get in eventually. <--- This may sound so unrealistic, but you all should know probability and how it works ;)

This thread was making me anxious about what might happen to me in the coming cycle (first time applicant this summer 2017).

However, I spent a few minutes thinking about how I would feel around this time next year and if I could handle the disappointment. I know some of you, have had your confidence and self-esteem dropped significantly, but it won't be the end of the world.

Here is a reminder to myself (around this time next year) and to all other who are here today/in the future:
Just keep your head held high. Think of possibilities instead of limitations. Because at the end of the day, everything will be okay. Everything will work out eventually. It may not be what you always wanted, but it won't be the end of the world.
Even at the end of this application cycle, if you don't get accepted anywhere, try again next cycle, or may be consider DO programs. If you stay motivated towards this path and is determined to achieve your goals of being a doctor, you'll get in eventually. <--- This may sound so unrealistic, but you all should know probability and how it works ;)

I love optimism, but this is clearly lacks the knowledge of the heart and soul it requires to finish an entire application process. It's truly exhausting, emotionally and psychologically. Especially so if you don't get in.

I mean no ill will, but be humble in telling folks who are slogging in the trenches to stay positive when you haven't sniffed the mud yet.

Reactions: 10 users
I love optimism, but this is clearly lacks the knowledge of the heart and soul it requires to finish an entire application process. It's truly exhausting, emotionally and psychologically. Especially so if you don't get in.

I mean no ill will, but be humble in telling folks who are slogging in the trenches to stay positive when you haven't sniffed the mud yet.
I'm so sorry that it sounded it that way, but in no way was I not being humble. Okay, so the process is exhausting, emotionally and psychologically. So no optimism?

Even if I haven't "sniffed the mud yet," can I not feel empathetic and give some encouragement? I even mentioned that I may be on the same boat next year around this time.... In fact, I will be.

This was why I didn't want to make an account before, I feel like I would just upset someone here and there when I mean no harm.

I'm so sorry that it sounded it that way, but in no way was I not being humble. Okay, so the process is exhausting, emotionally and psychologically. So no optimism?

Even if I haven't "sniffed the mud yet," can I not feel empathetic and give some encouragement? I even mentioned that I may be on the same boat next year around this time.... In fact, I will be.

This was why I didn't want to make an account before, I feel like I would just upset someone here and there when I mean no harm.

You're fine. I honestly believe you're probably a good person and that you meant the best. I think you were just a little tone deaf on this one. It happens.

Don't take it badly, just realize that you missed out on capturing a certain feeling and it's kind of salt in the wound for those who are experiencing it.

Just go sweat it out. The process isn't meant to be fair or perfect but the Adcoms do their best with the resources they have.
The Ad Coms opinions certainly are fallible but judging by their hubris, they do not think so. Instead they rely on vague nebulous qualities they call "fit" "mission" or "bad interview" with which to judge and admit a student while pretending they can determine the personality traits of the applicant and know which personality traits will produce good physicians at their school. Most won't admit that this process is largely a crap shoot where Ad Coms are getting so many well-qualified applicants but have no idea how to tell which ones will make the best students, and later on, the best physicians. They claim there is a method to the madness. but my personal knowledge of certain candidates displays to me that they are quite fallible and their judgment is often flawed. Admitting the flaws with themselves and the system would go a long way to improving the process - making it fairer and closer to perfect. But most hide behind the rejection claiming some "reason" that cannot be quantified or defined.

We know you meant well, but you have to think about it from our perspective. We're pretty late in the cycle with a bleak outlook. We're drained emotionally. We constantly hear from friends and family that "it'll be okay" or "I'm sure you'll get in a school" when we very well know that there's good chance we won't. It just hurts seeing another one of those comments.

We know you meant well, but you have to think about it from our perspective. We're pretty late in the cycle with a bleak outlook. We're drained emotionally. We constantly hear from friends and family that "it'll be okay" or "I'm sure you'll get in a school" when we very well know that there's good chance we won't. It just hurts seeing another one of those comments.

Bolded for truth.

I might find out from another school in 2 days. If it's a 3rd WL idk how I'll tell my family.