Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bolded for truth.

I might find out from another school in 2 days. If it's a 3rd WL idk how I'll tell my family.

Totally understand where you're coming from- dealing with family might actually have been harder than handling my own personal emotions this cycle...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all, maybe I can be of some consolation. Last year I did not get a single interview. So I can somewhat empathize here. I remember having to tell family and friends, and even worse, having to ask for letters of rec again (committee doesn't keep them). But here we are a year later. It just makes sharing the acceptance with everyone that much sweeter. Knowing how hard you fought for it. All I can say is don't give up if this is truly what you want. And best of luck to all!

I've been around these parts for a few years now and sadly, have yet to complete one cycle. So I've watched my SDN "friends" complete, interview, accept, reject and/or matriculate through 3 cycles. Having watched it from a distance I can tell you you're not done for this cycle unless EVERY school to which you applied rejected you.

If you are on WL, don't sit still - find out if you can send update letters, see if you can get a chance to talk to the schools, don't let it sit... read the threads on here to find out how to max your chances of movement. Remember, at some point seats DO open up... DO NOT GIVE UP

If you have been rejected from all schools, remember this:

YOU completed this cycle. YOU stood on the doorstep of med school admissions cycle and now are fully armed to move forward into the 2018 cycle. Don't let parents, friends, family tell you how to feel.

Feel what you feel, then pick yourself up and celebrate that YOU did do something many more of us have not. In that, congrats yourself for a solid AND complete cycle, and figure out how to make this upcoming cycle better. More schools? Better written PS? Reframing II responses? But first, mourn, then move on.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Joining this thread as well! 6 II with 2 WL, 1 R, and 3 Silence. Kinda want to take an eternal nap and wake up to an acceptance letter. If only...

Reactions: 3 users
I'm genuinely curious how it is not practically possible? Are you talking GPA/MCAT people can't salvage medical school or something else?

It's extremely expensive. Personally I had to apply geographically and if I have to reapply I'll have to add schools that are further and further away, meaning the interviews require hotel stays, gas, etc. and for someone with rent, student loans, car payment and other expenses it reaches a point where I'm just burning money to have another school reject me. I'm happy to do so, this is what I want, but reapplying does seem sort of impractical when seen through that lens

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm genuinely curious how it is not practically possible? Are you talking GPA/MCAT people can't salvage medical school or something else?
My application cycle is going to total at about $10,000, and not that's including the $1,000 to take and prepare for the MCAT (which I would need to retake due to age of score). I simply have no way of affording a second application. As well if I was to reapply I would want to take more than 1 year and do something significant, but if I'm not accepted on the second round then I'm out ~$22,000 and a metric tone of time (as well clinical experiences aren't worth anything if you change fields). So it doesn't make sense to dig into a deeper hole since the hole is already really deep!

I'm sure the finances put many people in a similar position to me, and what about people who have other significant career opportunities? If they decline those and try to reapply failure to get accepted means they also damaged their backup/secondary plan.

And of course the emotional stress can only be endured for so long.

Joining this thread as well! 6 II with 2 WL, 1 R, and 3 Silence. Kinda want to take an eternal nap and wake up to an acceptance letter. If only...
Even seen the movie Click with Adam Sandler in it?

Reactions: 1 users
Hopping into this thread like:
puas.gif

1 DO acceptance. 4 MD II -- WL on 2 from October, had one last Monday, and one coming up next Wednesday.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopping into this thread like:
puas.gif

1 DO acceptance. 4 MD II -- WL on 2 from October, had one last Monday, and one coming up next Wednesday.

Hey congrats on the DO!! That's awesome news and must at least take a bit of weight off

It's extremely expensive... but reapplying does seem sort of impractical when seen through that lens
OR...

you could view it through the lens of someone who is 52 and realize what a waste of 3 decades it's been making excuses.

what about people who have other significant career opportunities? If they decline those and try to reapply failure to get accepted means they also damaged their backup/secondary plan.

Ah the youngsters who think "NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or never. I understand that financial aspect of it. So take a year or so, amp up the $$$ supply and reapply, updating your app.

I graduated with an English technical writing degree, was some sort of bottom-feeding editor on a national magazine, ended up with quasi-MBA and a lengthy career whereupon, a few years ago, I ended up in pre-reqs, going back to what has always been my passion.

Careers evolve. What you start out doing is unlikely to remain what you do so the "fall back on secondary plan" comment falls apart there. Anyone with a secondary/plan B will still have it whether or not they apply/reapply.

I'm 52 and wish I'd known what I do now to do this earlier (like 30s even)

Don't. Be. Me.

Bolded for truth.

I might find out from another school in 2 days. If it's a 3rd WL idk how I'll tell my family.
This.

My parents love to use Med school as a pressure point to get to me.

For example:

Banana, you take pauses/ say umm a lot during regular conversation (I don't do this during interviews and they know that) Thats why you haven't heard back yet. That's why you haven't gotten in yet.

Banana, I don't like your haircut, that's why you haven't gotten in yet. Are you an idiot? (my haircut is fine. conservative & proper)

Banana, have you heard back from Yale yet? Why not?

This crap drives me insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This.

For example:

Banana, you take pauses/ say umm a lot during regular conversation (I don't do this during interviews and they know that) Thats why you haven't heard back yet. That's why you haven't gotten in yet.

Banana, I don't like your haircut, that's why you haven't gotten in yet. Are you an idiot? (my haircut is fine. conservative & proper)

You aren't getting in anywhere because they named you banana.

Members don't see this ad :)
This.

For example:

Ah man, that sounds rough. I'm kinda lucky in that my parents are non-medical professionals and really have no idea how competitive the process is outside of what I tell them, so I dictate the narrative.

If I were you, I'd show them the numbers...that at a lot of schools, there are 8,000 applicants for ~150 spots.

Ah man, that sounds rough. I'm kinda lucky in that my parents are non-medical professionals and really have no idea how competitive the process is outside of what I tell them, so I dictate the narrative.

If I were you, I'd show them the numbers...that at a lot of schools, there are 8,000 applicants for ~150 spots.
My parents aren't medical either, they just can't seem to understand the competitiveness and complexity of this process no matter what I tell them. Their mindset is: if I don't get in, it's because I did something wrong. it's because I made a stupid mistake and its 100% my fault.
If I don't get in this cycle I'll never live it down.

My parents aren't medical either, they just can't seem to understand the competitiveness and complexity of this process no matter what I tell them. Their mindset is: if I don't get in, it's because I did something wrong. it's because I made a stupid mistake and its 100% my fault.
If I don't get in this cycle I'll never live it down.
:(. I hope you get off those 2 WLs! The superstars with 3.99s/525s and glowing personalities are holding onto all our acceptances :/

:(. I hope you get off those 2 WLs! The superstars with 3.99s/525s and glowing personalities are holding onto all our acceptances :/
Only one WL! Don't jynx me ;)

I hear back this week potentially from my best shot. I'll keep you posted!

The anxiety has been really bad today. One of the patients we saw at work has a daughter that has already been accepted to two of the schools I am still waiting to hear from. Touched a nerve I guess :(

The anxiety has been really bad today. One of the patients we saw at work has a daughter that has already been accepted to two of the schools I am still waiting to hear from. Touched a nerve I guess :(
I have faith in you! It's not over till the AAMC Sings ;)

Really battling feelings of being left behind and abandoned by my peers. I'm one of the only people I know who is not in to med school yet and I am starting to get worried. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 4 users
Really battling feelings of being left behind and abandoned by my peers. I'm one of the only people I know who is not in to med school yet and I am starting to get worried. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm from a non STEM major so I don't know a whole lot of premeds. But I do feel left behind by all of my friends that are off in the business world. They're moving forward with life and this application cycle has felt like sitting in purgatory waiting for life to begin...

IMG_4344.jpg

Emotions during this entire app season: dead inside

Reactions: 14 users
Leaving this thread as I just got my first acceptance email, I'll be thinking of all of you and am sending all of you my good luck! Roguebanana I hope our exchange from an hour ago means good news is headed your way as well!!

Reactions: 15 users
Really battling feelings of being left behind and abandoned by my peers. I'm one of the only people I know who is not into med school yet and I am starting to get worried. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yes yes and yes. Feel like "Always a bridesmaid and never a bride". Everyone else is getting acceptances and sometimes at their reach schools. I keep getting advice and pep talks from all of them and overhear all the plans they are making for next year. I sit in limbo not knowing what next year holds for me... and people telling me next year may be too soon to apply, that I should spin my wheels doing some "busy" work, with yet more volunteering, more social work. more unpaid research etc to be properly ready to apply again. It is discouraging thinking that my stats are quite high so I analyze what I must have done wrong since I have no acceptances. The conclusion varies but this week's reason seems to be that I did not present a passionate personal narrative in my PS or during interviews about why I am so inspired to be a physician, and how I plan to change the world. I felt fake pretending I am something that I am not, but it seems to have worked for others. I won't pretend I will change the world - only that I will do my best within reason to be a good physician and I am open to what medical school brings to me. I have not already decided what my "calling" in medicine will be nor can I fake that. I am open, not passionate.
I used to be the one giving advice - now I have nothing to say on the subject of medical school admissions.

Last edited:
Leaving this thread as I just got my first acceptance email, I'll be thinking of all of you and am sending all of you my good luck! Roguebanana I hope our exchange from an hour ago means good news is headed your way as well!!

I also received my first acceptance. Best wishes to all of you that have been a shoulder to lean on throughout this awful process! You all deserve a spot and I know many of you will get in somewhere!

Reactions: 24 users
Accepted today as well. Thanks for all the support friends. Some people say SDN drives you nuts during your application cycle, but it was always a comfort for me.

congrats you two on NYMC, wondering if you could comment on how you felt after the MMI? Still waiting to hear from them and the uncertainty is killing me
I felt pretty decent about it, there were a few answers I gave that in retrospect made me want to kick myself, but I feel like the MMI really did it's job of smoothing it all out so they got a better idea of me as an applicant. I know I made a good impression on most of the interviewers and that comforted me. A few lackluster answers won't tank you.

congrats you two on NYMC, wondering if you could comment on how you felt after the MMI? Still waiting to hear from them and the uncertainty is killing me

I felt alright about most of it but for the station where they know your application I felt like the rug had been ripped out from under me because I wasn't prepared for that. I kinda felt like I had screwed myself, but then again I was focusing on the one station I didn't feel confident with

Yes yes and yes. Feel like "Always a bridesmaid and never a bride". Everyone else is getting acceptances and sometimes at their reach schools. I keep getting advice and pep talks from all of them and overhear all the plans they are making for next year. I sit in limbo not knowing what next year holds for me... and people telling me next year may be too soon to apply, that I should spin my wheels doing some "busy" work, with yet more volunteering, more social work. more unpaid research etc to be properly ready to apply again. It is discouraging thinking that my stats are quite high so I analyze what I must have done wrong since I have no acceptances. The conclusion varies but this week's reason seems to be that I did not present a passionate personal narrative in my PS or during interviews about why I am so inspired to be a physician, and how I plan to change the world. I felt fake pretending I am something that I am not, but it seems to have worked for others. I won't pretend I will change the world - only that I will do my best within reason to be a good physician and I am open to what medical school brings to me. I have not already decided what my "calling" in medicine will be nor can I fake that. I am open, not passionate.
I used to be the one giving advice - now I have nothing to say on the subject of medical school admissions.

I am in the same boat. Thought I was a very competitive applicant, all my friends and family said "we are not worried about you at all you'll get your pick!" and still not a single acceptance. I only received 2 interviews and have only had silence so far, so really trying to figure out where my application went wrong. That's just the way it goes sometimes I suppose

I also received my first acceptance. Best wishes to all of you that have been a shoulder to lean on throughout this awful process! You all deserve a spot and I know many of you will get in somewhere!
I DIDNT JINX U! CONGRATS!!!

Got put on hold from the only school I got an interview at and will find out April 30th... it hurts

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlists got me like..
d4c7ed99c07a00c53309d835d78316a8cc36af60107131bed123b3f056b5e5bf.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
And to think I originally thought I was going to be in to med school in October...HA

Reactions: 8 users
Finally got acceptance numero uno last Wednesday. The waiting game definitely sucks but it'll all pay off in the end. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 12 users
Just got rejected from my dream school. This one stings haha.

Finally got the wait list email from my only interview. Anybody know when TX schools start having wait list movement?

Yep, more or less same boat. Rejected pre-II from my safety state school and interviewed last week at a top 10. Really don't know what to expect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was rejected post-II at my safety state school and then accepted to a top 10, biggest plot twist of my life :p

This.

For example:

Mine too. Over winter break when I hadn't gotten in yet...ooooh boy. It was not fun.

Applied to 23 schools.. LM of 68 and got 3 interviews. Currently waitlisted at all and the struggle is so real. Time to start checking out backup plans I suppose

Applied to 23 schools.. LM of 68 and got 3 interviews. Currently waitlisted at all and the struggle is so real. Time to start checking out backup plans I suppose

Patience, the odds are good! Build your app for next year in the mean time and wait for traffic day.

P. S. Why isn't your username Dwane the Doc Johnson? What a missed opportunity that was.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Patience, the odds are good! Build your app for next year in the mean time and wait for traffic day.

P. S. Why isn't your username Dwane the Doc Johnson? What a missed opportunity that was.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's the kind of can do attitude we need around here lol. You're right though. Failed opportunity there on my part.

Follow up: I'm in a Sunday lazy mode so I'm not scrolling back. What's everyone doing for a year off? Masters program? Job? Living off the land in a remote part of the mountains?

this is it, everyone! this is the week we all hear good news!