Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clarify, reaching or exceeding the average stats of matriculating students at any given medical school is no guarantee of acceptance or even an interview.

Guarantee? Of course not. I didn't indicate that at all. But if your stats are under the average, the odds of you getting an interview much less an acceptance are *drastically* less. There are large numbers of applicants each year who are well qualified outside of their numbers but who will never be acknowledged for it because their stats are disqualifying. Same applies to people who have stellar numbers with little to no qualifications outside of GPA/MCAT. Those folks will experience the same issues. Going back to my earlier point, applicants should not expect acceptance without becoming universally qualified. This includes grades(research is huge too), MCAT, volunteer experience, good recs, good application, and a good interview. Students who get accepted leave no holes uncovered.

Members don't see this ad.

Will be attending my first II this week of the two I received this year...

Reactions: 14 users
Still waiting to hear back from one school, but I am firmly preparing myself for another application cycle...I figure I've got a couple more left in me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had one interview at what happens to be my dream school. My interview was recent so it may be a while before I hear back. A little scary to know that this fall I will either be at my dream school or not in med school at all. Just a liiiittle stressful

Reactions: 4 users
Got one II this cycle and still haven't heard anything from them.

The waiting game sucks

Reactions: 2 users
Got one II this cycle and still haven't heard anything from them.

The waiting game sucks

Agreed. I've been pretty patient up until the last week or two but not having any of my IIs turn into acceptances yet is getting to me as the end of the cycle keeps getting closer and closer...

Reactions: 3 users
Today's the day guys and gals. Interviews and acceptances for all!

Reactions: 6 users
Next week I find out.
Pray for my lost soul friends.
Help me get out of this purgatory.

Reactions: 19 users
Joining the support group... I'll be shocked if I don't need therapy by the time this is all said and done. I'm refreshing my email nonstop these days

Reactions: 8 users
Finished my last interview yesterday. Still haven't heard back from any of my interviews. The wait continues!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Next week I find out.
Pray for my lost soul friends.
Help me get out of this purgatory.

At this point I think the Lord is like "I HEARD YOU OKAY I GET IT" after about 7 months of this

I know my parents are lol

(but prayers for all!)

Reactions: 6 users
I've been carrying around the lanyard I got at an interview for luck.

Superstitious? Yes...but also useful

Joining the support group... I'll be shocked if I don't need therapy by the time this is all said and done. I'm refreshing my email nonstop these days
Set up email to buzz your phone!

Set up email to buzz your phone!

I have gmail and for some reason didn't get the push notification for one of my interview invites back in October... and of course it was one of the ones you have to schedule it yourself. Those extra three hours before I saw it was the difference of a whole month between interview dates :(

so now I guess you could say I'm paranoid... with a sprinkling of neuroticism.

I have gmail and for some reason didn't get the push notification for one of my interview invites back in October... and of course it was one of the ones you have to schedule it yourself. Those extra three hours before I saw it was the difference of a whole month between interview dates :(

so now I guess you could say I'm paranoid... with a sprinkling of neurotic.
My II from UVM went to my junkmail.

I was supposed to confirm within three days, I checked my junkmail by chance on the morning of the 4th day. Still made it in somehow; after a lengthy panic attack.

Reactions: 10 users
My II from UVM went to my junkmail.

I was supposed to confirm within three days, I checked my junkmail by chance on the morning of the 4th day. Still made it in somehow; after a lengthy panic attack.
SDN just asked me if I was sure I wanted to like your post... Now I don't know what to think

SDN just asked me if I was sure I wanted to like your post... Now I don't know what to think
And so the censorship begins............... (cue the faint laughter of the forum mods in the distance)

I had my first and only interview not too long ago. Would it be worth updating the school with the shadowing/volunteer research hours I had last semester?

so now I guess you could say I'm paranoid... with a sprinkling of neuroticism.

Set a rule to star anything from a *.edu address.

I haven't missed an alumni email for months!

You may have to eat two more hats for me, I've also had 10(+) and no acceptances yet :p
I can only imagine how stressful that is, but I promise you that the odds of getting no acceptances from 10 interviews are monumentally small. Getting an interview is far more than half the battle. I would bet any amount of money that it will work out for you.

Two waitlists. Really hoping my interview next week goes well :eek:

Edit: wrote waitlist instead of interview whoops

Last edited:
I applied MD/DO, first cycle applying... 30 MD programs, 10 DO programs... 5 II, all DO -- 2 waitlists, waiting on 2 schools with one more interview coming up.

Neurotically checking e-mail. This waiting is super hard. Stay strong everyone.

I can only imagine how stressful that is, but I promise you that the odds of getting no acceptances from 10 interviews are monumentally small. Getting an interview is far more than half the battle. I would bet any amount of money that it will work out for you.

thank you for the kind words :) although I saw some of your posts in last year's thread and I think your situation was more stressful than mine haha, I'm really glad it worked out for you in the end!!

thank you for the kind words :) although I saw some of your posts in last year's thread and I think your situation was more stressful than mine haha, I'm really glad it worked out for you in the end!!
Stressful doesn't even begin to describe it, but I firmly believe I'm a better person and medical student for having gone through it. You will be too!

5 interviews, waitlisted from 3 and waiting to hear from 2. This is torture.. maybe i should just prepare myself for reapplication.

Joining this thread for some good vibes... 4 interviews in the past 3 weeks, hear back from my dream school tomorrow and all the others within the next 10 days. Fingers crossed that I hear an acceptance tomorrow so I can just go ahead and withdraw from the others!

Joining this thread for some good vibes... 4 interviews in the past 3 weeks, hear back from my dream school tomorrow and all the others within the next 10 days. Fingers crossed that I hear an acceptance tomorrow so I can just go ahead and withdraw from the others!
Wow. You are so lucky you hear back so soon from all of them! Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

Hoping we ALL move from here to the class of 2021 thread tomorrow!

Me to every med school:

Just to clarify, reaching or exceeding the average stats of matriculating students at any given medical school is no guarantee of acceptance or even an interview.
He's just saying to be able to comfortably apply to a school and have a decent shot at a interview . So if you're applying to 20 schools, you can expect an interview invite if your stats are average for about ten. He's saying its a bare minimum requirement, and since he hadn't reached it, he shouldn't be surprised at his lack of success this cycle.

He's just saying to be able to comfortably apply to a school and have a decent shot at a interview . So if you're applying to 20 schools, you can expect an interview invite if your stats are average for about ten. He's saying its a bare minimum requirement, and since he hadn't reached it, he shouldn't be surprised at his lack of success this cycle.
I can see that. What I'm saying is that reaching or exceeding the bare minimum stats should not produce any expectations in an applicant.

Last edited:
Fortunate to be on 2 WL's but getting more and more restless by the day... :/

Yay... out of the 30 MD programs outright rejected everywhere but UVM who just thanked me for an update. Sigh... 7 years in EMS, 3 as a medic, research, 504 MCAT with a 3.5 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA just aint cutting it these days.

Congrats to everyone that's accepted! Really exciting times :highfive:

Yay... out of the 30 MD programs outright rejected everywhere but UVM who just thanked me for an update. Sigh... 7 years in EMS, 3 as a medic, research, 504 MCAT with a 3.5 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA just aint cutting it these days.

Congrats to everyone that's accepted! Really exciting times :highfive:
They love the MCAT, supposed to correlate with step rates. Are you considering a re-take?

1 II -> waitlist....

Last edited:
They love the MCAT, supposed to correlate with step rates. Are you considering a re-take?

@RogueBanana love the avatar. Yup. If I don't get in this cycle will 100% do that. I'll be stoked to go DO though, so might not be necessary? We'll see. Tried studying for the MCAT while working a full-time research job, not surprisingly it was hard to study for the exam because I was totally fried after a day at the bench.

But you're thinking that it's probably the MCAT that's holding MD II at bay?

Yup. If I don't get in this cycle will 100% do that. I'll be stoked to go DO though, so might not be necessary? We'll see. Tried studying for the MCAT while working a full-time research job, not surprisingly it was hard to study for the exam because I was totally fried after a day at the bench.

But you're thinking that it's probably the MCAT that's holding MD II at bay?
for sure.
You have ample clinical experience, i'm assuming a good amount of service experience (volunteering etc. Most EMTs i know volunteer in their free time
Your GPA isn't gonna open any doors but its definitely not going to hurt you.

505 mcat is like what, 65-70th percentile? The average matriculant has closer to a 510 80-90th %ile.

Boost up that MCAT and you'll have a great app with all your life experience

Two interviews that led to being waitlisted twice.

I'm hoping I can still score some IIs and increase my odds of being accepted to at least one school...

Reactions: 5 users
Sigh this purgatory sucks, a feeling that is quite hard to describe and put into words. Pretty hard to keep your head up too. Praying for good news later this month!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Sigh this purgatory sucks, a feeling that is quite hard to describe and put into words. Pretty hard to keep your head up too. Praying for good news later this month!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I like to think this video accurately sums up how I feel being stuck in purgatory while the rest of my friends are receiving acceptances.

Reactions: 13 users
I like to think this video accurately sums up how I feel being stuck in purgatory while the rest of my friends are receiving acceptances.

That's funny, everyone I know who actually decided to apply has 0 IIs. I guess you keep more successfully company!

That's funny, everyone I know who actually decided to apply has 0 IIs. I guess you keep more successfully company!
Thats only my SDN friends. :laugh: All my undergrad friends are either in the Caribbean or have switched career tracks :oops: