I'll probably post something on the military forum as well, but I figured it would get more views here. Anyway, as you may know, a couple days ago, the USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) was struck by a Phillipines-flagged container ship 56nm off the coast of Yokosuka, Japan where she is homeported. In the collision, 7 Sailors were killed, but dozens of them lost everything: laptops, phones, wallets, clothes, shoes. Many of them don't even have toothbrushes because they have no money to get a toothbrush.
The Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society is the primary source for monetary donations right now, but the ship itself is welcoming boxes from anyone willing to send them a few toothbrushes or a pair of shoes or even some underwear.
My wife and I are getting together a box of stuff to send them. If anyone is interested in sending me some stuff or sending your own box, send me a PM, and I will forward you the information and address.
I want to also give a specific mention to FC1 Gary Rehm, who sacrificed his life trying to save as many Sailors as he could. Because of his efforts, more than 20 Sailors are alive today. He lost his life trying to save the last 6 when the flooding became too great, and the hatch had to be closed with them still inside the space. We all love superhero movies, but FC1 is a real hero. That's the caliber of Sailor on that ship, and they need help and even just prayers and a mention on Facebook so that maybe someone else could see it and feel compelled to help.
Just send me a pm if you want to help in any way. Thanks!
Back to your regularly scheduled program.
Obligatory disclaimer: I am not soliciting monetary donations, nor am I asking anyone to send me money. It's literally toothbrushes and stuff, and I will just give you the address to send it yourself.