Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody whiling away qaurentine by making Tik Tok videos? I think I've discovered my hidden talent.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody whiling away qaurentine by making Tik Tok videos? I think I've discovered my hidden talent.
I've been sleeping and watching Netflix. I wish I could say eating, but I've barely touched food during quarantine.

I've been sleeping and watching Netflix. I wish I could say eating, but I've barely touched food during quarantine.
Ya same I'm anxious to the pf of having lost interest in food.

Has anybody ever been re-hired in a scribe job/ any other labor hourly pay job? Lemme know. Kind of in a weird situation right now ( not bad, just weird).

Anybody here go to a protest?
Im terrified of bodily harm ( and they arent any where I live). You can wear goggles and masks to protect against tear gas/ rubber bullets hitting your eye) but with the might of the police force literally crushing the protesters Im scared for anybody who goes.

Reactions: 1 users
Im terrified of bodily harm ( and they arent any where I live). You can wear goggles and masks to protect against tear gas/ rubber bullets hitting your eye) but with the might of the police force literally crushing the protesters Im scared for anybody who goes.
I very seriously considered it, but part of my oath was that I would prevent disease whenever possible so I decided against it.

Reactions: 2 users

I saw a protest on my way home from work yesterday. I was kind of a bit surprised because there was a ton of people. I didn't see any police there. It seemed peaceful, just people holding up signs and stuff. Didn't really stop though. I lived about an hour away from the protest. I'm really surprised by the responses from various companies and stuff speaking out. My school even spoke up about it.

I very seriously considered it, but part of my oath was that I would prevent disease whenever possible so I decided against it.

This is one of the major things I'm worried about with the protests. It's a really unfortunate. I hope everyone remains safe during all of this.

I saw a protest on my way home from work yesterday. I was kind of a bit surprised because there was a ton of people. I didn't see any police there. It seemed peaceful, just people holding up signs and stuff. Didn't really stop though. I lived about an hour away from the protest. I'm really surprised by the responses from various companies and stuff speaking out. My school even spoke up about it.

This is one of the major things I'm worried about with the protests. It's a really unfortunate. I hope everyone remains safe during all of this.
Ntm
. The riots in MN are necessary, because they brought about the arrests of the 3 cops involved in Floyd's murder. There's no ****ing way MN is doing peaceful protests rn, nor should they.

But there are other minority folks being harmed by them. For example, there was a middle aged Black guy who was yelling at the rioters " Why did you burn down my business? I grew up in the ghetto just like you, you burn down my business and you say " Black power", why?!"

Med schools and Universities are out here putting out PR puff pieces about George Floyd and the current unrest and this premed is calling black people thugs and gorillas that need to be shot :smack::smack::smack:. Dude was of course exposed. Some premeds just legit weed themselves out. Don't need doctors like that around.

Med schools and Universities are out here putting out PR puff pieces about George Floyd and the current unrest and this premed is calling black people thugs and gorillas that need to be shot :smack::smack::smack:. Dude was of course exposed. Some premeds just legit weed themselves out. Don't need doctors like that around.
Honestly it's kind of better he exposed himself like this. What if he got into med school before ppl knew who he really was? When it comes to awful racist ppl, I'd rather know who is like that up front.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ntm
. The riots in MN are necessary, because they brought about the arrests of the 3 cops involved in Floyd's murder. There's no ****ing way MN is doing peaceful protests rn, nor should they.

But there are other minority folks being harmed by them. For example, there was a middle aged Black guy who was yelling at the rioters " Why did you burn down my business? I grew up in the ghetto just like you, you burn down my business and you say " Black power", why?!"
That video you speak of is about 20 years old, don't want to spread misinformation. Unfortunately minorities are affected by looting but that video has been circulating recently and I've had to let a ton of people know this is not recent.

Added: I don't want even more misinformation being spread about the protesters who are fighting for something we should ALL want.

That video you speak of is about 20 years old, don't want to spread misinformation. Unfortunately minorities are affected by looting but that video has been circulating recently and I've had to let a ton of people know this is not recent.

Added: I don't want even more misinformation being spread about the protesters who are fighting for something we should ALL want.
Oh wow, thanks for letting me know, I literally had no idea.* not sarcastic, I'm serious*
Wow, the propaganda is insane.

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know, I literally had no idea.* not sarcastic, I'm serious*
Wow, the propaganda is insane.
Totally!! We're all for the cause and all on the same team! It's unfortunate that during times of unrest that videos like this (although it was heartbreaking... I cried when I heard the pain in his voice) turn up just to undermine people fighting for equality! As a minority I just want to make sure we all have accurate information!! Stay awesome :)

• Love
I don't understand the looting. But vandalism and expressing your emotions I'm totally behind (like burning a bus).

*bump
How is everybody?

Hi everyone!
I thought I'd share....I got into NYIT-COM off of the WL this past Friday ( 06/05)~!!!!!
I still have to get all my forms and immunizations in and such but I am in!!! Accepted!

:clap:
Thassit

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Yeah sorry, I don’t support looting or vandalism that affects innocent people. It also bothers me that the only people being martyred are the criminals, when we also have upstanding black citizens who have been killed from negligence and murder who are basically being ignored.

It also bothers me that the only people being martyred are the criminals, when we also have upstanding black citizens who have been killed from negligence and murder who are basically being ignored.
Breonna Taylor wasn't a criminal

Breonna Taylor wasn't a criminal

Yeah and I don’t see anyone rioting over her death. She was exactly who I had in mind. Her killers are not even on suspension. The DA is saying there is no incontrovertible evidence of wrong doing.

I know there are protests. That’s not what I’m talking about. I don’t see anyone martyring her and rioting over her death.

I know there are protests. That’s not what I’m talking about. I don’t see anyone martyring her and rioting over her death.
How do protests invoking her image and story to demand systemic change not rise to the level of martyrdom in your book?

How do protests invoking her image and story to demand systemic change not rise to the level of martyrdom in your book?

You don’t think there is a difference between a peaceful protest demanding justice and the literal burning down of a police station and the occupation of part of a city?

You don’t think there is a difference between a peaceful protest demanding justice and the literal burning down of a police station and the occupation of part of a city?
Please don't divert. I'm asking specifically about the use of the term martyr.

Please don't divert. I'm asking specifically about the use of the term martyr.

Technically none of them have really been martyred. I was using it more in the colloquial sense of becoming the face of something. George Floyd has by and large been the face of the protests and riots, just like Michael Brown was in Ferguson (which is even more ridiculous given how he died).

So now that you have an exact definition of what I mean, do you disagree that Breonna Taylor has not received the same attention and elevation as George Floyd? I’ve literally seen maybe 10 posts on Breonna Taylor on social media, and 5 or 6 of them were my own.

Is my experience just abnormal? We all know how social media can sometimes not paint a true picture of what is really getting attention.

Technically none of them have really been martyred. I was using it more in the colloquial sense of becoming the face of something. George Floyd has by and large been the face of the protests and riots, just like Michael Brown was in Ferguson (which is even more ridiculous given how he died).

So now that you have an exact definition of what I mean, do you disagree that Breonna Taylor has not received the same attention and elevation as George Floyd? I’ve literally seen maybe 10 posts on Breonna Taylor on social media, and 5 or 6 of them were my own.

Is my experience just abnormal? We all know how social media can sometimes not paint a true picture of what is really getting attention.
I believe your experience may be abnormal. Taylor has been incorporated into a ton of meme culture where instead of there being a punchline, it switches up and says something like "Breonna Taylor's killers have still not been arrested". I'd say it's going from about 80:20 GF:BT in my newsfeed at the time of the GF killing, to now about a 40:60 ratio.

I believe your experience may be abnormal. Taylor has been incorporated into a ton of meme culture where instead of there being a punchline, it switches up and says something like "Breonna Taylor's killers have still not been arrested". I'd say it's going from about 80:20 GF:BT in my newsfeed at the time of the GF killing, to now about a 40:60 ratio.

Good! Glad it’s just my social media bubble. It was really bothering me because it seemed like she was basically just being ignored. Someone posted about it when it happened and then I didn’t see anyone talk about it again except maybe a couple times.

Good! Glad it’s just my social media bubble. It was really bothering me because it seemed like she was basically just being ignored. Someone posted about it when it happened and then I didn’t see anyone talk about it again except maybe a couple times.
EacxTLnXQAEMsjC.jpg

Posts like this are getting pretty popular on my end

• Haha

Me!! Here’s some photos of our protest
We were peaceful and we handed the counter protestors flowers saying “we love you anyways “
Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breonna Taylor has definitely become more visible which is very good especially because black women have typically been erased from the police brutality narrative.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Breonna Taylor has definitely become more visible which is very good especially because black women have typically been erased from the police brutality narrative.

I’ve been seeing more posts about her recently which is good. I’m just glad people are talking about her more now. Although her case wasn’t necessarily police brutality. It was more police incompetence.

I’ve been seeing more posts about her recently which is good. I’m just glad people are talking about her more now. Although her case wasn’t necessarily police brutality. It was more police incompetence.
I think it could be reasonably argued that brutality is a symptom of incompetence.

I think it could be reasonably argued that brutality is a symptom of incompetence.

Semantics, really. I meant that in Breonna’s case there seemingly wasn’t an intention to kill her. They hit the wrong house and reacted poorly to being shot at. In George Floyd’s case there was obvious intent to at least hurt him if not kill him (and I’d argue that given their history and his personally history, he probably was trying to kill him).

• Okay...
Anybody terrified of chocking while they eat at home alone? Im home alone atm bc my parents are at a small outdoor gathering ( with masks and distance, my state is allowing them). Im likely gonna be living alone as a first year, and when I'm home alone I take such tiny bites and chew sooo slowly, it's ridiculous. I've tried practicing the heimlech on myself but I can't tell if air is coming outwards. I have a healthy gag reflex, too,

Anybody else have this?

Anybody terrified of chocking while they eat at home alone? Im home alone atm bc my parents are at a small outdoor gathering ( with masks and distance, my state is allowing them). Im likely gonna be living alone as a first year, and when I'm home alone I take such tiny bites and chew sooo slowly, it's ridiculous. I've tried practicing the heimlech on myself but I can't tell if air is coming outwards. I have a healthy gag reflex, too,

Anybody else have this?

I actually have choked while home alone. The drive to survive is very strong. I slammed a dining room chair into my abdomen right where you Heimlich someone, and it shot right out of my mouth.

I actually have choked while home alone. The drive to survive is very strong. I slammed a dining room chair into my abdomen right where you Heimlich someone, and it shot right out of my mouth.
Nice.
So what you're trying to say is I'll likely be fine in the moment? I feel like when you're consciously practicing you may tighten your abd muscles. Maybe in the moment I can could drive a chair into my abdomen, haha.
Im actually religious and believe you only die when God intends it but Im still constantly afraid of dying.

Nice.
So what you're trying to say is I'll likely be fine in the moment? I feel like when you're consciously practicing you may tighten your abd muscles. Maybe in the moment I can could drive a chair into my abdomen, haha.
Im actually religious and believe you only die when God intends it but Im still constantly afraid of dying.

I think that as a child I had a tendency to not chew enough. There were several times where I'd get something (usually carrots, idk why) stuck in my throat and spend a minute trying to hack up whatever the food was while acting normal to anyone around me. I'm still alive.
Also, once while carrying a box up the stairs, my foot didn't go high enough and I kind of kicked the step. Instead of falling backwards and down the stairs, I just self-corrected and was fine. So I feel like our bodies can handle more than we realize.

Also, as a Muslim, I think technically God could intend for you to die choking, so the fear of dying is still pretty valid.

Anybody else have this?
I've seen a lot of stories of people dying and not being found for a while. Not trying to scare you even more, but there's also the possibility of slipping and falling while home alone. I've fallen in the bathroom before :bag: :oops: . Nothing serious tho. I've heard you could do a Heimlich with a chair.

• Hmm
I've also heard if that!

I've seen a lot of stories of people dying and not being found for a while. Not trying to scare you even more, but there's also the possibility of slipping and falling while home alone. I've fallen in the bathroom before :bag: :oops: . Nothing serious tho. I've heard you could do a Heimlich with a chair.
Definitely 100x more scared of falling when home alone. One slip when stepping out of the shower and boom. Open dishwashers always scare me too.

Definitely 100x more scared of falling when home alone. One slip when stepping out of the shower and boom. Open dishwashers always scare me too.
Use bath mats and Im thinking of getting like, fluffy slippers.

It was literally getting out of the shower too