Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I just say zoom makes me feel so awkward. Like ik its not that different than normal interactions , but sometimes certain things just feel so awkward.

Like for small things, I have it down. Like if you have to sip water or clear your throat, mute the mic otherwise, it's super loud.

But like, little things make me feel so wierd. Like today during one of my meetings I was talking and listening and my nose was itchy, so I was discreetly rubbing it with a napkin, and I just felt so weird not knowing if I should turn off my camera? Like its the exact same rub I would do in person , but it just feels so weird on camera. But turning it off was weirder bc the prof was talking to me and another student.

Ive heard camera shut offs are like, for things you wouldn't do in front of other people, not things like, that you do in front of people like yawning, sneezing, coughing so long as you mute your mic ( and cover your mouth like you would in public).

AAAHHH

Members don't see this ad.

Can I just say zoom makes me feel so awkward. Like ik its not that different than normal interactions , but sometimes certain things just feel so awkward.

Like for small things, I have it down. Like if you have to sip water or clear your throat, mute the mic otherwise, it's super loud.

But like, little things make me feel so wierd. Like today during one of my meetings I was talking and listening and my nose was itchy, so I was discreetly rubbing it with a napkin, and I just felt so weird not knowing if I should turn off my camera? Like its the exact same rub I would do in person , but it just feels so weird on camera. But turning it off was weirder bc the prof was talking to me and another student.

Ive heard camera shut offs are like, for things you wouldn't do in front of other people, not things like, that you do in front of people like yawning, sneezing, coughing so long as you mute your mic ( and cover your mouth like you would in public).

AAAHHH

I think you’re overthinking this. Just don’t take the camera in the toilet with you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you’re overthinking this. Just don’t take the camera in the toilet with you.
Good, thanks. My social anxiety makes me panic with non normal human interactions.

Come to think of it, plenty of my classmates sneeze or yawn on camera w the mic muted so not to blow out our ear drums and I thought it was perfectly normal... but some people are nuts w " zoom etiquette" , like if you look up some rules some corporate websites are really strict.

Members don't see this ad :)
My social anxiety makes me panic with non normal human interactions.

Same, zoom makes me a lot more paranoid than I would be in person. My lab meetings zoom sessions does not mute people coming in, and normally all the zoom meetings for my classes do. So they could hear me dragging my bowl of ramen across the desk and slurping the noodles for the first few minutes into the meeting until I realized my mic was on. Big mistake on my end.

Same, zoom makes me a lot more paranoid than I would be in person. My lab meetings zoom sessions does not mute people coming in, and normally all the zoom meetings for my classes do. So they could hear me dragging my bowl of ramen across the desk and slurping the noodles for the first few minutes into the meeting until I realized my mic was on. Big mistake on my end.
I legit saw an article that said you should not only mute yourself while coughins/yawning/sneezing. But also kill the camera? Bro what?
What is wrong w sneezing in my elbow like I do in public? Its wierder to turn the cam off in small discussions and its meant for like, personal interruptions ( like your spouse walking in shirtless w a basket of laundry). God forbid ppl find out Im a human w functioning lungs.

I legit saw an article that said you should not only mute yourself while coughins/yawning/sneezing. But also kill the camera? Bro what?
What is wrong w sneezing in my elbow like I do in public? Its wierder to turn the cam off in small discussions and its meant for like, personal interruptions ( like your spouse walking in shirtless w a basket of laundry). God forbid ppl find out Im a human w functioning lungs.

Yes, that is way weirder than just sneezing.

I legit saw an article that said you should not only mute yourself while coughins/yawning/sneezing.

If the zoom sessions could default to gallery mode it would make it a lot easier so people aren't spotlighted every time they make little noises. Imagine if our face was plastered on the monitors in class every time we coughed/sneezed in person.

Yes, that is way weirder than just sneezing.
You know, its funny. In person, I have this odd habit of hearing someone sneeze like, on the other end of the room, and muttering "Bless you" way too far and quiet for them to hear me.
I do this on zoom, too! The other day during a coinical skills zoom meeting my friend sneezed a few times and I whispered "
bless you" and I wasn't muted but nobody heard me. Kinda funny. Its like Im too shy to say it loud but still wanna be "polite."

If the zoom sessions could default to gallery mode it would make it a lot easier so people aren't spotlighted every time they make little noises. Imagine if our face was plastered on the monitors in class every time we coughed/sneezed in person.
You would get a LOT of "bless you"s. ( and it would be super awkward, yeah. )

Its funny, I never feel self concious about coughing/sneezing/blowing my nose in public, (unless I feel like Im being too loud or constant) , but if someone looks at me ( not like, if we're talking face to face, but like just looks over at me) I feel SO WIERD. Zoom is kinda like that, that's probably why it feels so awkward.

Another thing is, I feel like I have to smile constantly ( small smile) while on camera. Seeing myself with a neutral face makes me feel like I'm being cold/rude. I think that's just a product of being conditioned as a girl/woman.

Another thing is, I feel like I have to smile constantly ( small smile) while on camera. Seeing myself with a neutral face makes me feel like I'm being cold/rude. I think that's just a product of being conditioned as a girl/woman.

would it help you feel less self conscious to hide your own video on zoom? That's an option, and I've heard from a number of people that this really helped them stop focusing on little things that they wouldn't have cared about in an in person meeting.

Pres Trump suggested today America First Healthcare Plan. Not sure who was first since healthcare insurance industry invented.

Pres Trump suggested today America First Healthcare Plan. Not sure who was first since healthcare insurance industry invented.
FYI:

Members don't see this ad :)
A healthcare plan in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go?!!

Lol it’s just an attempt to distract from all the negative **** he’s got going on. Basically he wants more options for plans and more competition so that plans are cheaper and cover more. But he gave zero specifics on how he plans to do that lol.

Would it be a good idea to update schools about a meaningful clinical experience I have had for 2+ months that wasn't listed on primary (got the position right after submitting primary)? I have also been volunteering at blood drives and will be mentoring youths virtually.

I feel like it would be a good idea and could give schools a better idea of my ECs but for some reason I see people sometimes saying not to update schools about things.

I did briefly mention these new activities on most secondaries, but have more to write about now with more hours under my belt.

Last edited:
Would it be a good idea to update schools about a meaningful clinical experience I have had for 2+ months that wasn't listed on primary (got the position right after submitting primary)? I have also been volunteering at blood drives and will be mentoring youths virtually.

I feel like it would be a good idea and could give schools a better idea of my ECs but for some reason I see people sometimes saying not to update schools about things.

I did briefly mention these new activities on most secondaries, but have more to write about now with more hours under my belt.

This question would have been better suited for somewhere else (you'd get more answers). This is the social, social thread.

Oh my gosh same. One of zooms didn't mute people going in so everyone heard me slamming doors throughout the house trying to find good light.

Having to cram an entire week worth of lectures because you spent most of comp week studying anatomy<<<< big L

Having to cram an entire week worth of lectures because you spent most of comp week studying anatomy<<<< big L

I spent so much time studying anatomy for the last module and did the worst I’ve ever done on an anatomy exam lmao. I’ve literally gotten maybe 5 wrong total across every anatomy exam over the whole year and a half, and then I straight up got 4 wrong just on this one lol. But we’re all done with anatomy now, so that shiz is in the rear view.

Guys is there an excel/some type of document for tracking MD acceptances? I found a lot for tracking II dates and interview dates but none that show acceptance dates? For this year or last year.

making an ER visit more and more bankrupting for the average American

I don't think you need me or a crystal ball to predict that most of it is going to be handouts to the medical insurance industry and making an ER visit more and more bankrupting for the average American

I truly believe that the only issue Trump has with Obama care is that it has Obama's name attached to it. They should just propose a name change, switch it to Trump care, it will be very well received then.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe you're right. I would want to see a detailed plan before I say that. Plus ObamaCare is the media name. All Trump needs to do is pass his own healthcare bill that will mimic the ACA which itself mimicked what Romney passed in Massachusetts.

Romney was involved in drafting the ACA. What they originally put together mimicked what he did in Massachusetts. What we got after it got through all the insurance companies and pharm companies was a piece of garbage that increased healthcare costs for a huge portion of the middle class, gave insurance companies more money while letting them cover less, and forced a lot of middle class folks to give up health insurance because the penalty was more affordable than the crappy plan they had to pay for.

Oh my gosh same. One of zooms didn't mute people going in so everyone heard me slamming doors throughout the house trying to find good light.
FYI: you can change your Zoom setting locally to always mute you on entry.

Reactions: 2 users
@JoaoMoutinho @libertyyne @K9419 @Ms Procrastinator @M&L @TheDataKing @tessellations @freak7 @Matthew9Thirtyfive MASSIVE BUMP!

were_off.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
HAHAHAHHA WHAT IS M3 EVEN.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Same here. And I feel like I don't have as much to show for it as I should- I'm just in 1 club. I really gotta get on that volunteer work ( not sure about Bench research) to be competitive for Match.

So I've been making cold brew for a few years. Does anybody who normally drink cold brew/ dilute espresso drink feel like ordinary coffee gives them a bit of heartburn? Or is that just me? My anxiety meds used to give me GERD ( I took Zantac w them) but I quit them a few years ago, but I still have breakthroughs every now and then, partially bc of normal coffee. Maybe I just gotta get used to it?

Same here. And I feel like I don't have as much to show for it as I should- I'm just in 1 club. I really gotta get on that volunteer work ( not sure about Bench research) to be competitive for Match.

Hmm. I don’t think volunteering is really that important for the match. Especially not at the expense of research.

Hmm. I don’t think volunteering is really that important for the match. Especially not at the expense of research.
I'm actually not interested in Bench research in med school. I think the time commitment is too much, and I just don't like it enough. I was at a zoom webinar on applying Peds ( one of the things I'm interested in), and they always mentioned that case study work during clinical years is adequate if you're not into bench research, you can just do something else.

I'm actually not interested in Bench research in med school. I think the time commitment is too much, and I just don't like it enough. I was at a zoom webinar on applying Peds ( one of the things I'm interested in), and they always mentioned that case study work during clinical years is adequate if you're not into bench research, you can just do something else.

Oh yeah, I meant research in general. Not specifically bench. I don’t know anyone who’s done bench research outside of the mudphuds.

Most survey data puts most docs at 40-50, and most other outpatient docs/ EM docs/ hospitalists average 50 hours or less per week. Most non surgeons I've talked to do under 50 hours a week.

You gotta keep in mind, 10 hour/week makes a difference after the 50 hr mark. ( and after 60 hrs/week , ever couple of hours makes a difference, and after the 70 hours weeks, ever hour makes a difference). To each their own I'm just surprised to see a family oriented person wanting to do surgery I guess. Always sort of surprising to me.

Responding here so that we don’t derail the other thread, but most of the work done on this topic seems to indicate that the average doc is working around 50 hours a week. Even in the JAMA study 10 years ago, FM was the reference at 49 hours/week. Gen surg was only 5.8 hours/week more on average.

As someone who has worked an average of 75-80 hours a week for years with a family, it is totally possible to do both. Working 60 hours a week leaves 50 hours a week with my family, not including the time spent sleeping. If you prioritize them during that time, they don’t feel like they are taking a back seat to work.

Responding here so that we don’t derail the other thread, but most of the work done on this topic seems to indicate that the average doc is working around 50 hours a week. Even in the JAMA study 10 years ago, FM was the reference at 49 hours/week. Gen surg was only 5.8 hours/week more on average.

As someone who has worked an average of 75-80 hours a week for years with a family, it is totally possible to do both. Working 60 hours a week leaves 50 hours a week with my family, not including the time spent sleeping. If you prioritize them during that time, they don’t feel like they are taking a back seat to work.
If you've done it before that's understandable. Some ppl also just spend much less time sleeping, and I guess 5 years for residency in the long run isn't that bad. I see what you mean now.

There are so many conflicting answers for how much attendings work! Each question has ten different responses. How much they work, how much call they take ( clinic or inpatient), how much time they can take off to relax with family, everything! I know some ppl working less are actually on .8 FTE , and not technically " full time" , but there are so many answers here!

The primary care doc in the clinic I scribed in says he works a solid 40 now and it was more 50 hours/week when he first started. Also primary care often work more than endo/rheum other OP based IM specielties. I would def love the option of going part time so I can focus on family ( everyone is going to come after me for this, but having young kid as a woman and having young kids as a man are two very different things. Babies/ toddlers need more time w mom. And in many cultures, including mine, women get rammed with way more home responsibilities. ) I guess that's another thing you miss in surgery, going part time while your kids are young or towards the end of your career when you start to get tired.

If you've done it before that's understandable. Some ppl also just spend much less time sleeping, and I guess 5 years for residency in the long run isn't that bad. I see what you mean now.

There are so many conflicting answers for how much attendings work! Each question has ten different responses. How much they work, how much call they take ( clinic or inpatient), how much time they can take off to relax with family, everything! I know some ppl working less are actually on .8 FTE , and not technically " full time" , but there are so many answers here!

The primary care doc in the clinic I scribed in says he works a solid 40 now and it was more 50 hours/week when he first started. Also primary care often work more than endo/rheum other OP based IM specielties. I would def love the option of going part time so I can focus on family ( everyone is going to come after me for this, but having young kid as a woman and having young kids as a man are two very different things. Babies/ toddlers need more time w mom. And in many cultures, including mine, women get rammed with way more home responsibilities. ) I guess that's another thing you miss in surgery, going part time while your kids are young or towards the end of your career when you start to get tired.

Yeah I dunno. I think you can even go part time in surgery if you’re willing to take the pay cut. I just think surgery sort of self selects for people who don’t want to do that.

Also even working 80 hours a week on my gen surg rotation, I still got 7 hours of sleep.

Oh yeah, I meant research in general. Not specifically bench. I don’t know anyone who’s done bench research outside of the mudphuds.
You guys actually call them mud phhuds lol. yes one disadvantage of a DO school is for preclinical years you can only really get bench research, clinical research isn't really open to us bc we're not affiliated with an academic center. Other than that my school has everything.

You guys actually call them mud phhuds lol. yes one disadvantage of a DO school is for preclinical years you can only really get bench research, clinical research isn't really open to us bc we're not affiliated with an academic center. Other than that my school has everything.

You don’t have any clinical faculty during M1/2?

So I've been making cold brew for a few years. Does anybody who normally drink cold brew/ dilute espresso drink feel like ordinary coffee gives them a bit of heartburn? Or is that just me? My anxiety meds used to give me GERD ( I took Zantac w them) but I quit them a few years ago, but I still have breakthroughs every now and then, partially bc of normal coffee. Maybe I just gotta get used to it?

good thing my school literally forces you to do volunteer hours 🙃

My head is so confused with this avatar

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my application the first day it was opened. So far I've gotten 1 II and 1 WL. Am I doomed? I haven't heard back from most of the schools I have applied to after completing secondaries. Should I just assume I will get rejected at the end of the cycle, or are medical schools just slow this year? Any advice?

I submitted my application the first day it was opened. So far I've gotten 1 II and 1 WL. Am I doomed? I haven't heard back from most of the schools I have applied to after completing secondaries. Should I just assume I will get rejected at the end of the cycle, or are medical schools just slow this year? Any advice?
kinda hard to make any judgements without a school list and stats.