Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@tessellations @MrsDrDr @Ms Procrastinator @osamine @Orangekiwi @Sunbodi @mwsapphire bump!

self_isolate_2x.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
I just had what I think was my first experience with prejudice in the workplace . I'm a scribe in a clinic. ( not my usual coworkers, just someone I had to work with once bc of me working a day I dont normally work).
Now that clinic is cancelled for a few weeks I don't have the chance to tell the Doc I work for for some time now.
Anybody have any tips how to calm down? Ive been agitated, angry, feeling sick since yesterday afternoon. How can I stay sane until then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I just had what I think was my first experience with prejudice in the workplace . I'm a scribe in a clinic. ( not my usual coworkers, just someone I had to work with once bc of me working a day I dont normally work).
Now that clinic is cancelled for a few weeks I don't have the chance to tell the Doc I work for for some time now.
Anybody have any tips how to calm down? Ive been agitated, angry, feeling sick since yesterday afternoon. How can I stay sane until then?
You should email the doc you work for and the HR dept if you have one and see if there was anyone around who saw what went down and will side with you. Perhaps there's a personnel dept for the clinic/hospital if the doc you work for isn't on the board or an owner.

If nothing else, this is at least enough to request not working with this person again. In which case, talk to whoever schedules you guys. Tell them that if you are scheduled to work with that person again, it'll be their fault when the clinic is short a scribe.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm so sorry! I'm here for you! Report them to HR and look for an office of equity. What happened?

I'm so sorry! I'm here for you! Report them to HR and look for an office of equity. What happened?
Thank you! It's complicated- she is known for being rude/insufferable but she was just really rude to me right after having met me, which just seems so unuauly in a work enviroment, unless you decided you dislike me from the moment you lay eyes on me...Discussed the specifics with a few peers and they came to that conclusion as well. The doubt-creating factor is that she is insufferable to everyone.
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll def go ahead and tell the doc I work for. We dont normally work together, but I think I should tell someone she was like that. I did calm down after a couple of days.
Im taking this social distancing time to start making tik tok videos- a private page with just some comedies about life as a Muslim women, nothing wierd or embarassing.

G U Y S
So Im in a weird Wl position, I emailed a few of my old UGrad profs to figure out what to do next.
And 1/3 answered. So now I'm on a WL, sad because COVID 19 is making me miss the last few weeks at my job, stuck on waiting on Dr.Name and Dr.Name to reply. And . AAAAHHHHH

That is all.

Anybody know/kept in touch with MemeLord (mr/dr/prof/patrick)? Seemed like a nice guy. Kinda miss his random thread derailments.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow @Lawper i haven't been tagged in this forum for a while (or I haven't been checking SDN that often lol)

Whenever I think about people attacking Asians cause they think they have COVID-19

Has anybody on here taken 800 mg ibuprofen at once? My doc says its fine and I take 200-400mg advil pretty often so I definetely have a little
bit of a tolerance for it.

Has anybody on here taken 800 mg ibuprofen at once? My doc says its fine and I take 200-400mg advil pretty often so I definetely have a little
bit of a tolerance for it.

I have! I had a really bad viral sore throat last year that hurt so bad that I went to urgent care to rule out strep. The NP I saw advised me to take 800 mg at a time and it immensely helped with the pain.

• Love
Was thinking about how useless med school ranking is lately. Even if you rank schools by step scores you know schools that take high MCAT scorers with high GPA's are obviously going to do better on step so what's the point. But then I thought, what if you rank them based on deviation, rank schools by how much better their avg step score percentile is than their MCAT avg percentile.

So if a school has an MCAT avg of 520 but only 235 avg step they would be ranked lower than a school with a 512 MCAT avg that also has a 235 step avg. I just wonder if this would help control for the correlation between MCAT and STEP score to just leave the school's influence.

Reactions: 2 users
Was thinking about how useless med school ranking is lately. Even if you rank schools by step scores you know schools that take high MCAT scorers with high GPA's are obviously going to do better on step so what's the point. But then I thought, what if you rank them based on deviation, rank schools by how much better their avg step score percentile is than their MCAT avg percentile.

So if a school has an MCAT avg of 520 but only 235 avg step they would be ranked lower than a school with a 512 MCAT avg that also has a 235 step avg. I just wonder if this would help control for the correlation between MCAT and STEP score to just leave the school's influence.

The correlation between the mcat and step is only like 0.6.

It's a positive correlation though, which means something. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone,
You know, after talking to the doctor I shadowed and the doctor I work for, I've really been thinking-
Is working as a doctor in a hospital system ( the dominant model these days) really better than working for a standard "corporation."?
Food for thought. I always thought that while the job is more demanding, it would be better than being a "cog in a machine" but idk now.

Hi everyone,
You know, after talking to the doctor I shadowed and the doctor I work for, I've really been thinking-
Is working as a doctor in a hospital system ( the dominant model these days) really better than working for a standard "corporation."?
Food for thought. I always thought that while the job is more demanding, it would be better than being a "cog in a machine" but idk now.

Most physicians will tell you to avoid being employed by a hospital at all costs if you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Most physicians will tell you to avoid being employed by a hospital at all costs if you can.
Wait what? Explain. The doc I scribed for said employment was easier than private practice and he has done both? Please show me the other perspective.
edited: typos and chubby fingers

Wait what? Explain. The doc I scribed for said employment was easier than private practice and he has done both? Please show me the other perspective.
edited: typos and chubby fingers

When you're a cog in the wheel, they can do whatever they want to you. Cut your hours, cut your pay, withhold PPE, etc. Look what's happening to the poor docs in NY right now. Is it easier to be an employee? I'm sure it is. But you're just a cog, and when the bottom line is a higher priority than you, that will show.

When you're a cog in the wheel, they can do whatever they want to you. Cut your hours, cut your pay, withhold PPE, etc. Look what's happening to the poor docs in NY right now. Is it easier to be an employee? I'm sure it is. But you're just a cog, and when the bottom line is a higher priority than you, that will show.
But isn't the private practice model dying out for a variety of reasons? My brain is gonna explode he literally explained to me in so much detail why private practice is fizzling out

But isn't the private practice model dying out for a variety of reasons? My brain is gonna explode he literally explained to me in so much detail why private practice is fizzling out

Oh, yeah. It totally is. That doesn't mean it isn't better.

Oh, yeah. It totally is. That doesn't mean it isn't better.
Hm. Well see thats why I've mentally resigned myself to the employed model if I do get in.
You do get some autonomy/respect/scheduling flexibility relative to a corporate job though.

Relative to a standard corporate job? IDK maybe Im just too cynical about what ordinary company jobs are like. My dad has some stories lol.

Go read some of the posts in the physician forums and see if you think hospital administrators respect physicians.

• Hmm
FWIW
Father worked OBGYN in both private and hospital. He much preferred the freedom, respect, and control of private practice. He works in hospital setting now because his practice got bought out.

FWIW
Father worked OBGYN in both private and hospital. He much preferred the freedom, respect, and control of private practice. He works in hospital setting now because his practice got bought out.
Hm. Isnt there much more stress/burnout in private practice? Surveys generally pain private practice docs as the most burned out/stressed relative to their employed peers. Doc I work for says there is just so much more to worry about when you have your own pracitce that just becomes the system's problem when you're employed.
At the end of the day we are all more likely to end up as employed by hospital system doctors rather than having our own practices so even if private practice is better...

Hm. Isnt there much more stress/burnout in private practice? Surveys generally pain private practice docs as the most burned out/stressed relative to their employed peers. Doc I work for says there is just so much more to worry about when you have your own pracitce that just becomes the system's problem when you're employed.
At the end of the day we are all more likely to end up as employed by hospital system doctors rather than having our own practices so even if private practice is better...
Being in a practice with several other coowners helps bring stress down

It's also a different kind of stress. There's the stress of overhead, infrastructure etc with private. But you have more control over your practice, what you accept, what you do, etc. That stress isn't there in a hospital, but you may have quotas, call schedule differences, slightly lower pay, etc type stress that comes with it. You get more Independence and control with private, but yeah it comes with the stress of managing that.

It's also a different kind of stress. There's the stress of overhead, infrastructure etc with private. But you have more control over your practice, what you accept, what you do, etc. That stress isn't there in a hospital, but you may have quotas, call schedule differences, slightly lower pay, etc type stress that comes with it. You get more Independence and control with private, but yeah it comes with the stress of managing that.
Hm. The doc I work for works around 50 hrs a week and claims it was closer to 60 when he was in private practice and ( as he mentioned to a pt while I was in the room) makes enough that he's happy. He also doesn't worry about billing, coding, where to schedule MA's/nurses, and can mostly just go home and forget about work unless it's a pt who is doing poorly. He said in pricate practice constantly thinking about structuring it was more stressful, for him at least.He also mentioned that he takes call on the schedule he wants. ( He explained he likes taking 3-4 call days in a row once a month as opposed to once a week). He gets...I think 8 weeks off a year?
I gotta ask him more f/u questions once this whole COVID thing blows over....
Im sure you're right but it's possible there are varying perspectives on this and each hospital system is different. He was totally adamant that private practice sucks.

Hm. The doc I work for works around 50 hrs a week and claims it was closer to 60 when he was in private practice and ( as he mentioned to a pt while I was in the room) makes enough that he's happy. He also doesn't worry about billing, coding, where to schedule MA's/nurses, and can mostly just go home and forget about work unless it's a pt who is doing poorly. He said in pricate practice constantly thinking about structuring it was more stressful, for him at least.He also mentioned that he takes call on the schedule he wants. ( He explained he likes taking 3-4 call days in a row once a month as opposed to once a week). He gets...I think 8 weeks off a year?
Im sure you're right but it's possible there are varying perspectives on this and each hospital system is different. He was totally adamant that private practice sucks.
It's definitely going to depend on the person. My dad didn't mind dealing with all that, as he valued independence and income that came w private practice. Someone else may not care so much for it

It's definitely going to depend on the person. My dad didn't mind dealing with all that, as he valued independence and income that came w private practice. Someone else may not care so much for it

This is the important thing. A lot of people who went into medicine because of the private practice model they grew up with want that independence, so they'll chafe as a hospital employee. But then there are also people (me included) who aren't particularly keen on the business aspect, and are willing to deal with more bureaucratic BS for the simplicity of having someone else deal with the business stuff/remove the stress of private practice. (that's not to say that hospital models are fantastic though - lots of problems there even if you're more willing to put up with them than others)

This is the important thing. A lot of people who went into medicine because of the private practice model they grew up with want that independence, so they'll chafe as a hospital employee. But then there are also people (me included) who aren't particularly keen on the business aspect, and are willing to deal with more bureaucratic BS for the simplicity of having someone else deal with the business stuff/remove the stress of private practice. (that's not to say that hospital models are fantastic though - lots of problems there even if you're more willing to put up with them than others)
Exactly, it really depends on the kind of person you are. I for one would prefer the private setting to have more control, but someone else may not want to deal with all the struggles of being basically a business owner!

You’re taking one person’s opinion and experience and trying to use it to discount the experience of a lot of other people. There will of course be people who would rather be employed, which is fine for them.

But you absolutely have more control over your practice and career when you are not an employee.

You’re taking one person’s opinion and experience and trying to use it to discount the experience of a lot of other people. There will of course be people who would rather be employed, which is fine for them.

But you absolutely have more control over your practice and career when you are not an employee.
Sorry, didnt mean to come across that way.
In a later post I said everyone opinion is correct and I was just relaying one.

Sorry, didnt mean to come across that way.
In a later post I said everyone opinion is correct and I was just relaying one.

Yeah I mean I personally would rather be employed because I have zero desire to deal with the business aspect of medicine. But I also like having a salary that I don’t have to worry about being cut. Hence the military lol.

I know some of you on here may be very anti-tik tok, but this video is pretty funny. ( it should be 1 vid, not an account, not sure if I linked it correct).