Official Prometric testing center experiences thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading some posts about recent test takers having problems at their Prometric center.

Please post your experiences to help future test takers using the following format:

Proctor & staff: helpfulness, time taken to check-in/out for breaks, allowed to use ear plugs

Noise/Headphones: testing center noise level/number of people. Headphone working condition-noise canceling or not. Noise level outside the center--nearby airport/school/construction/highway etc

Moniter/Mouse/Keyboard: CRT/LED, Resolution/flickering/responsive mouse/keyboard

Dry erase board/pen: how many and the working condition

Bathroom: number and distance form the testing room. Need to unlock it every time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me start by posting my experience:

Proctor & staff: Proctor was helpful and explained the rules well. However, the staff near the entrance of the testing room was too lazy and took his time to check-in/out. He kept on talking sweet nothings to his female co-worker. Wasted my time every time I checked-in/out so much that I decided to take "in place" breaks unless I had to use the bathroom.

Noise/Headphones: testing center noise level was moderate as there were lot of people. Headphone worked when I checked it during the tutorial but could not hear the murmur properly despite raising the volume to maximum. Was replaced.
Noise level outside the center--nothing to comment as the testing center is in a huge building with paid underground valet parking.

Moniter/Mouse/Keyboard: Outdated but working order equipment. CRT with basic resolution. No problem with mouse.

Dry erase board/pen: was given 4 dry erase papers (laminated sheets) but pens were dried out.

Bathroom: one for each but you have to take the key with you and go outside the testing center into a corridor. Needed to unlock/lock it every time.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for sharing your experience.

I am planning on taking prometric practice exam soon.

I heard the questions u get on the practice exam are the same ones as in Free 150 on their website, by any chance if u did the practice exam can u verify.

Since the practice exam is 3.5 hours, are we allowed to take breaks in between blocks and if so for how much duration.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great thread!

May I please ask how similar is the Software for the real exam compared to Uworld software? I particularly want to know about the Lab values table.
In Uworld, if we want to search for a particular lab parameter, we can type it in search bar and that lab parameter gets highlighted. This is unfortunately not there in NBMEs where we have to look through the whole list to find the lab values ourselves. How is it in the real exam??

What kind of snacks do people carry with them to the test centre? :D
Are people normally able to keep up their concentration levels without tea/coffee in between?

Proctor & staff: Patient, polite, helpful, competent, less than 2 minutes to check in and out.

Noise/Headphones: There were 2 headphones, one was for noise (orange, without a cord) the other was for the exam and was connected to the computer. I checked the sound during the tutorial, perfect in each ear and both together, volume could be adjusted as well. I got to the center at 7am, majority of the other test takers were there for other exams and went in as their names were called. When our names were finally called at 8am there were only 4 of us going in for the USMLE and 2 of them came for step 2. So at 8am my testing room was very quiet with just us 4, I was soooo happy. We were on the 23rd floor, I could barely see the street from that high up. The center is located in downtown Chicago. I took two breaks, the first after 3 blocks, I had 1hour 35 mins of break time, the next break was after the 6th block, I had 1 hour 5 minutes of break time. I started my exam at 8am and was done around 3pm.

Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard: Everything in perfect working condition, the computer screen was so wide, 27 inches I would say. I've been having back pains for the past month or so but the chair at the center supported my back properly, I had no back aches that day :)

Dry erase board/pen: Okay this wasn't what I expected, I wasn't given a board per se, just two pens and two laminated sheets of cardboard paper(?) and no eraser, thankfully my exam didn't require much in the way of calculations (what is the median number for example)

Bathroom: You needed a security code to get into the bathroom and you needed to put it in at the door, they would give it to you if you asked at the prometric reception. It was on the same floor as the center (23rd floor), right down the hall near the elevators. 1 bathroom for each gender, about 3 stalls I think, it was clean and seemed sufficient, there was never a line.

Reactions: 1 users
Great thread.

Location: # 4101: Laurel Springs, NJ. Took my practice test here.

Proctor & staff: Proctor was nice, helpful & accommodating. There was little problem with fingerprinting/camera for picture taking. Check-in/out was quick and efficient. Took sandwiches, drinks, water, coffee energy bar in a ice box and they were helpful in finding a place for it in the break room.

Noise/Headphones: Small testing center, so not much noise. Headphone worked.

Noise level outside the center--nothing to comment as the testing center is in a small one story building in the middle of no-where. The best part was ability to be outside for the break since the main entrance is 5 feet from the test room.

Moniter/Mouse/Keyboard: Working order equipment. CRT with basic resolution. No problem with mouse.

Dry erase board/pen: was given 2 dry erase papers (laminated sheets) in working order.

Bathroom: one for each sex and just outside the test room (great advantage). Not sure about the lock on the door but easily accessible.

Last edited:
I can't find a date at above center.

There are two more options:

# 5130: Wilmington - New Castle, DE 19720

# 4114: Central New Jersey - Hamilton, NJ 08610

Has anyone taken a test at any of the above two locations.
Please post your experience.
Thanks.

Proctor & staff: Patient, polite, helpful, competent, less than 2 minutes to check in and out.

Noise/Headphones: There were 2 headphones, one was for noise (orange, without a cord) the other was for the exam and was connected to the computer. I checked the sound during the tutorial, perfect in each ear and both together, volume could be adjusted as well. I got to the center at 7am, majority of the other test takers were there for other exams and went in as their names were called. When our names were finally called at 8am there were only 4 of us going in for the USMLE and 2 of them came for step 2. So at 8am my testing room was very quiet with just us 4, I was soooo happy. We were on the 23rd floor, I could barely see the street from that high up. The center is located in downtown Chicago. I took two breaks, the first after 3 blocks, I had 1hour 35 mins of break time, the next break was after the 6th block, I had 1 hour 5 minutes of break time. I started my exam at 8am and was done around 3pm.

Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard: Everything in perfect working condition, the computer screen was so wide, 27 inches I would say. I've been having back pains for the past month or so but the chair at the center supported my back properly, I had no back aches that day :)

Dry erase board/pen: Okay this wasn't what I expected, I wasn't given a board per se, just two pens and two laminated sheets of cardboard paper(?) and no eraser, thankfully my exam didn't require much in the way of calculations (what is the median number for example)

Bathroom: You needed a security code to get into the bathroom and you needed to put it in at the door, they would give it to you if you asked at the prometric reception. It was on the same floor as the center (23rd floor), right down the hall near the elevators. 1 bathroom for each gender, about 3 stalls I think, it was clean and seemed sufficient, there was never a line.

This prometric center sounds so great that it's making me want to take the exam there, lol. Although I live 2-3 hrs (depending upon traffic) drive away from Chicago.

So I have a question, I will be taking the exam in winter (towards the end of my "extended" eligibility period, so really have to plan everything way ahead). I live in a small city. Prometric center is just 10 mins drive from my place. Are there any major differences in the comfort level between prometric centers located in small cities vs. big cities? Can I expect the heating system to be working fine during winter (you know the kind of snow we get around Lake Michigan area). I've read many experiences about how some people had troubles with the air conditioning (ofcourse cuz the vast majority take the exam in summer). But it would be nice if anyone could share their winter experience.

For sure I will take the practice test at my prometric a week-10 days before the real exam. But would love some beforehand insight. Thanks a lot!

Great thread!

May I please ask how similar is the Software for the real exam compared to Uworld software? I particularly want to know about the Lab values table.
In Uworld, if we want to search for a particular lab parameter, we can type it in search bar and that lab parameter gets highlighted. This is unfortunately not there in NBMEs where we have to look through the whole list to find the lab values ourselves. How is it in the real exam??

What kind of snacks do people carry with them to the test centre? :D
Are people normally able to keep up their concentration levels without tea/coffee in between?

You can download the FRED software here, it's exactly like that on test day. But yes and yes, like uworld and the lab values get highlighted. http://www.usmle.org/practice-materials/index.html

I took a sandwich from Mariano's and a bottle of vitamin water, I barely had an appetite so it was more than enough. I was not anxious or on some type of adrenaline high, I just didn't feel like eating. I took 2 breaks, after blocks 3 and blocks 6. I ate, texted a couple of friends and walked up and down the stairs to generate some body heat. I think I had the same level of concentration for all 7 blocks. Side note, I don't drink coffee.

You can download the FRED software here, it's exactly like that on test day. But yes and yes, like uworld and the lab values get highlighted. http://www.usmle.org/practice-materials/index.html

I took a sandwich from Mariano's and a bottle of vitamin water, I barely had an appetite so it was more than enough. I was not anxious or on some type of adrenaline high, I just didn't feel like eating. I took 2 breaks, after blocks 3 and blocks 6. I ate, texted a couple of friends and walked up and down the stairs to generate some body heat. I think I had the same level of concentration for all 7 blocks. Side note, I don't drink coffee.

Wow, I didn't know we could download FRED software. Thank you so much for the information! I hope I'll be able to keep up the same level of energy. Hope you did great on your test. Wishing you all the best! :)

Wow, I didn't know we could download FRED software. Thank you so much for the information! I hope I'll be able to keep up the same level of energy. Hope you did great on your test. Wishing you all the best! :)

Thanks, make sure you're well rested with a good night's sleep and a clear head.

Hi!

Has anyone taken it at any of these locations:

1. Lancaster, PA

2. King of Prussia, PA

Thank you!!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using SDN mobile