OFFICIAL Rejection Thread for 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UMD college park- Ph.D.
snail mail- mixed in with Valentine's Day cards

The letter did say that they recieved 650 apps- I guess that's to cusion the blow :rolleyes:

I got the same rejection letter on Friday. The 650 apps did make me feel a little better :)

Members don't see this ad.

Woooo! Haven't posted in this thread yet, but this is exciting for me.

UCLA - Rejected via ambiguous but ominous mass e-mail: "A decision has been made on your application for Psychology for Fall 2009. If you have not already done so, please log in at the following link to check your decision status." Ooooh, I wonder what it could be!!!

UCSD - Rejected via non-committal mass e-mail: "This is to inform you that we have made our final selections. If you have not received an invitation for interview it is highly likely that your application will not be considered." To quote the great Lloyd: "So... you're saying there's a chance!"

UWisconsin-Madison - Rejected via web-system update! No e-mail or nothin'! "Your application has been withdrawn from consideration." Perhaps they're sending a snail-mail.

And still, these schools are ahead in my book! A number of programs -- BU, Harvard, UPenn, to name a few -- have not said a word of my status, despite having finished their interviews. They have month-old information on their outdated websites, and defer phone calls. What is the deal? I paid $60, send me my rejection letter already!

Whew. I'm done. Much love to SDN.

First official rejection: Fordham. Received mass email on 2/18. Who wants to live in the Bronx anyway??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised that so many schools send out rejections this early....

When I went through the process in 2004, I didn't receive any rejections or status updates until April...Some schools didn't send me anything until May and even June...And it wasn't because I was waitlisted or still being considered.

Last edited:
First official rejection: Fordham. Received mass email on 2/18. Who wants to live in the Bronx anyway??

I have to say, being one of 490 makes me feel a bit better. The letter wasn't terrible.

Can you give me some feedback on whether you prefer to hear the rejection by phone, email/snail mail?

Can you give me some feedback on whether you prefer to hear the rejection by phone, email/snail mail?

Are you going to reject me proactively now? It would be a real time-saver.

Email.

Whichever happens to be quickest, so probably email. One school to which I applied sent me an email that said I was not selected for an interview, which I greatly appreciated (especially because if it weren't for this forum, I would not know when interviews were scheduled and might still be waiting for an interview notification well past the time they are over). I think the quicker the status update, the better.

I agree with what is stated above....

Whatever method is faster...I didn't know about this forum in 2004 (if it existed), so I was in the dark. That makes it difficult to schedule interviews that are far away, as you may receive a better one that conflicts with your travel plans.

Email, phone call, letter, text message, telegram...Just get it to me when you know.

I got that too! It's not really news though, is it... And yes, we don't want to live in Bronx ;)

Good luck to you guys!

Did anyone else just get rejected from University of Georgia? :thumbdown:

They really made a jump from 281 application last year to 650 this year? I just don't really see that being the case. That must have been the psychology department as a whole or something. I'm still waiting for my rejection letter though. Not feeling to optimistic about it though. I thought since maybe my master's adviser was on my POI's dissertation committee that it might help me out quite a bit, but I guess not.

That was my first thought, maybe it was to the psyc grad school total? You would think that having those connections would get some strings pulled. I guess if you haven't heard anything by now, there's still a chance :xf:I hope it works out for you

Members don't see this ad :)
That was my first thought, maybe it was to the psyc grad school total? You would think that having those connections would get some strings pulled. I guess if you haven't heard anything by now, there's still a chance :xf:I hope it works out for you

Before I was getting bummed every time I would come home from work and there was no mail from any schools. After hearing that a couple people received their rejections through the mail, I now rejoice when I don't get any mail.

I am curious to hear from people how many schools they got (1) interviews from, (2) official rejections from, and (3) are still awaiting official information.

I have 2 interviews (haven't been to either yet), 3 rejections, and I'm still awaiting to hear officially from 10 (although 3-4/10 didn't seem likely at all after speaking to a contact in the department).

I did not receive an interview or email from UN Reno.

Wondering if anyone has insight as to why I got an interview at UCLA but not at UN Reno?

I did not receive an interview or email from UN Reno.

Wondering if anyone has insight as to why I got an interview at UCLA but not at UN Reno?

I think it could be a host of things.
School 'rank' and 'fit' are exclusive and qualifying for one school doesn't necessarily mean that you are a good fit for another.
Congrats on getting an interview at UCLA!

Last edited:

I got rejected by a mass email weeks ago. Early January actually. It wasn't exactly a rejection letter but a "your chances are slim to none" letter... I guess they are playing it safe, although I just considered myself nexted. Thats odd that they just rejected you? Maybe they had you waitlisted, but they found there guy? who knows what goes through their minds!

Here is my not so good news so far:

U Maryland, College Park - rejection via snail mail (I was away on other interviews, but it was in my mailbox when I got back last night...I didnt get an interview, though, so no surprises)

Fordham U - waitlisted via email from DCT, Tuesday, 02/17

no other news yet, so we'll see...

Rejected by snail mail.

Reason for rejection: other applicants more qualified.

:eyebrow:

If you don't mind disclosing this information, how did you find out (snail mail, email, etc)? Did you get an interview? I have been waiting for a reply from them for weeks and weeks?

I'm currently traveling and it would be helpful (or may make me more anxious) to know that a decision letter may possible be waiting in my mailbox at home.

Ahhhhhh. This process is soooooo stressful. :eek:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did indeed interview at UGA. I got rejected via email.

has anyone who went to an interview heard bad news from UMD?

Or any news?

it's past the time they said they would be getting back to people, so what's the deal?

Received my letter from Clark University via snail mail. *shrugs*

Back to interviewing.

Peace.:cool:

Just decided to check ApplyYourself for the University of Minnesota. Decision available - link to rejection letter. :( No email about it yet, though.

So far I'm 0/4, with no interviews at the other 3 schools to which I applied. I'd better start coming up with an attractive Plan B, huh? :cool:

I just came across this site last night (amazing!) and joined.... here is my list of rejections so far

Indiana State University PsyD
Virginia Consortium PsyD
Vanderbilt Clinical PhD
Loyola College in Maryland PsyD
George Washington University PsyD

Wait listed at
Utah State Univ Clinical PhD
University of Alabama-Birmingham Clinical PhD

Has anyone else heard back from any of these programs as far as waitlist, acceptance, or rejection?

Seton Hall rejection by snail mail today.
TC - Counseling Psych by email informing me of an update to my status. I took the bait and found my rejection :rolleyes:

I do appreciate them informing me this early. I paid CUNY $125 and have not had the pleasure of a written rejection.

I was rejected from the University of Denver Clinical PsyD, but upon receiving the phone call they informed me that they would really like me to consider applying to their Masters program. I have an interview of March 1st for the Masters. Due to funding reasons, does anyone know the chances of doing the masters for one year and switching to the PsyD or reapplying?:scared:

I just got emails back from my POI's.. rejected at USF and UNC-Greenboro. :( I am totally devestated and heartbroken as I have been hoping everyday to hear something positive from either of those programs... 2 of my 3 top choices (and got a rejection from the third top choice already) :(

Rejection letter via regular mail today. Can't say I'm surprised considering my background in psychodynamic theory and their emphasis on CBT.

I've applied to a few schools where it appears that all first-round interview invites have been extended (based on the discussion in this forum and my own contact with the grad secretary). For some of these same schools, I've also heard reports of people being rejected via email or the online system. I haven't been invited, which means a probable rejection, but I haven't been rejected online either.

Is there a courteous way to find out what my status is, whether by contacting the POI or graduate secretary? I have this nagging fear that if I stay out of touch, in the *extremely* unlikely event that first round interviews go badly and more phone calls are made, I won't be contacted because I'm off the radar.

The stress of this process is giving me some strange ideas. :D

I just got emails back from my POI's.. rejected at USF and UNC-Greenboro. :( I am totally devestated and heartbroken as I have been hoping everyday to hear something positive from either of those programs... 2 of my 3 top choices (and got a rejection from the third top choice already) :(

I'm sorry youre having a rough day. Just keep your head up. I had one of those days last week and it's awful- so I feel you.

I recommend buying cupcakes. It eases the pain. And when you hear good news, you can also eat them in celebration. ;)

I've applied to a few schools where it appears that all first-round interview invites have been extended (based on the discussion in this forum and my own contact with the grad secretary). For some of these same schools, I've also heard reports of people being rejected via email or the online system. I haven't been invited, which means a probable rejection, but I haven't been rejected online either.

Is there a courteous way to find out what my status is, whether by contacting the POI or graduate secretary? I have this nagging fear that if I stay out of touch, in the *extremely* unlikely event that first round interviews go badly and more phone calls are made, I won't be contacted because I'm off the radar.

The stress of this process is giving me some strange ideas. :D

Thats stressful! I know i just want SOME news, whether good or bad! I would suggest emailing the school DCT and asking if they could comment on your application status. I did this today to the schools I had heard ABSOLUTELY nothing, and two of the three wrote me back immediately. It wasn't good news, but it was news!

I was rejected from the University of Denver Clinical PsyD, but upon receiving the phone call they informed me that they would really like me to consider applying to their Masters program. I have an interview of March 1st for the Masters. Due to funding reasons, does anyone know the chances of doing the masters for one year and switching to the PsyD or reapplying?:scared:

When did you get rejected? I have yet to hear anything from them...

Just decided to check ApplyYourself for the University of Minnesota. Decision available - link to rejection letter. :( No email about it yet, though.

So far I'm 0/4, with no interviews at the other 3 schools to which I applied. I'd better start coming up with an attractive Plan B, huh? :cool:

Out of curiosity, where did you see this link in ApplyYourself? I just checked mine and it still says "Application sent to Program". I never got an interview, so I'm assuming I'm out of the running....

Out of curiosity, where did you see this link in ApplyYourself? I just checked mine and it still says "Application sent to Program". I never got an interview, so I'm assuming I'm out of the running....

The "Applicaton sent to Program" turned into "Decision Available" and the link to the letter appeared below it. I should clarify that I applied to the Personality, Individual Differences, & Behavior Genetics program so maybe they decided on that program first!

Hope that helps!

I finally got my rejection letter from Kentucky last week (I say finally because I knew it was coming, I was just waiting to see the tangible evidence in my mailbox). They were nice enough to send me TWO copies of the generic rejection letter. I guess they really wanted to make sure I knew I wasn't accepted!

Out of curiosity, did it say you were a strong candidate?

I havent heard back anything from Denver either (for clinical PsyD)
I received a phone call Feb 12. Does anyone else find it strange they called to reject me but invite me to interview for the masters?

Rejected from the University of Georgia by e-mail... had an interview on 1/23... :(

I received a phone call Feb 12. Does anyone else find it strange they called to reject me but invite me to interview for the masters?

i have yet to hear anything from denver too! did you guys apply to the early date or regular? they have such a strong policy about not calling, but I'd like to know already

i have yet to hear anything from denver too! did you guys apply to the early date or regular? they have such a strong policy about not calling, but I'd like to know already

I applied to Denver's priority application deadline and, after several gut-check moments, I finally called three weeks ago. My admissions counselor (the same one I've worked with since last summer) said my app was just going to the admissions committee.

I took that as good news, b/c she could have just looked at my file and told me I'd been rejected....However, I think Denver's last interview day is Friday, Mar 6th. I figure if I haven't heard anything by tomorrow I'm probably as good as rejected.

I applied to the regular deadline, I thought it was a nice gesture to receive a rejection phone call rather than an e-mail. Has anyone else heard from Denver?

Last edited:
Since I received neither an interview request :)() nor a rejection letter :)o) and then received a prompt to apply for a fellowship :)confused:) I called TC and spoke to three different people before I got an answer as to what was up.

The short of it is this: they rejected me from the Clinical Ph.D. program, but pushed my application on to the Masters review board. Apparently, they feel I'm not "ready" to assume my rightful place among the Ph.D. candidates, but I'm too good to jettison completely. Not too sure how I feel about that!

I applied to Denver's priority application deadline and, after several gut-check moments, I finally called three weeks ago. My admissions counselor (the same one I've worked with since last summer) said my app was just going to the admissions committee.

I took that as good news, b/c she could have just looked at my file and told me I'd been rejected....However, I think Denver's last interview day is Friday, Mar 6th. I figure if I haven't heard anything by tomorrow I'm probably as good as rejected.

how d you know that their last interview day is 3/6? they told me on the phone today that they are still sending out interview invites

I finally got my rejection letter from Kentucky last week (I say finally because I knew it was coming, I was just waiting to see the tangible evidence in my mailbox). They were nice enough to send me TWO copies of the generic rejection letter. I guess they really wanted to make sure I knew I wasn't accepted!
Just got mine too. I think they are sniping the alternate list one by one as others slowly accept offers.

how d you know that their last interview day is 3/6? they told me on the phone today that they are still sending out interview invites

During my MSPP interview day I met a guy who had already been invited to interview at Denver. The UD admissions counselor he spoke to told him 06 March was the latest day to interview. I assumed that was the last day anyone could interview, but I guess that could have been specific to him.