This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoppingtheworld

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLICATION OPENS: November 1st, 2019!

Hello Future SHPEP Applicant,

My name is Austin Rios. I participated in the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston program site in 2018. This year, I have been selected to serve as an SHPEP Ambassador. My goal as an ambassador is to help you, as an applicant, learn as much as you can about the program, serve as a guide throughout your application and even give some advice that may lead to a successful application.

Please feel free to read or watch my story!

Please use this thread to talk among applicants and ask for help when needed. Former SHPEP alumnus are welcome as well!

If you find my advice helpful, please let SHPEP/AAMC know! Each SHPEP applicant I recruit should list my full name (Austin Rios) for the referral question (How did you learn about the program?) located in the Personal Information section of the application. :)

Lastly, I may not always be online to answer your questions. Please never hesitate to reach out to me directly at [email protected].

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Austin,

Do you mind sharing what other programs you applied to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to application season, everyone! As always, never hesitate to reach out to me here or via email at [email protected] if you have any questions, concerns or want some tips for a successful application! :)

Hi, are certain application sites moire competitive than others. For example, would applying to UCLA and Columbia be more competitive than applying to Nebraska. Also, do program sites prefer students from their own schools. For example, would an undergrad at UCLA have a better chance of getting in at UCLA. Lastly, would you be willing to take a look at my essay, and ofter honest advice as writing isn't my strong suit.

Thanks.

Hi!

Some sites receive more applications than others. All SHPEP sites can accommodate approximately 80 scholars. With this idea, the sites that receive more applications are more competitive to get into.

As far as sites favoring students that are from their nearby campuses: it’s possible. When I was at UTHealth Houston, a good majority of the scholars were from Texas. This may be because sites have to conserve travel funds. I can only speculate. I mentored some SHPEP students at UCLA while I was attending some other program this past summer and I believe it was about the same. This isn’t to say that you should be discouraged from applying to a program that isn’t in your state or area! Apply broadly and to the programs that can give you benefit. I’m from Texas and when I was applying I got into Columbia, UCLA and UTHealth.

I am still an undergraduate and I’m currently studying for the MCAT. Unfortunately, I just don’t have the time to read over essays and provide feedback. I am more than happy to guide you through the prompt, give some tips and discuss ways to best express yourself but I just don’t think I’m best equipped to read essays right now. I highly recommend visiting your school’s writing center if you have one or asking a professor or close friend to help you with syntax and grammar if you struggle with that.

As always, never hesitate to reach out to me or post here if you have questions or concerns! Hope this helps! :)

-Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador

Hi, are certain application sites moire competitive than others. For example, would applying to UCLA and Columbia be more competitive than applying to Nebraska. Also, do program sites prefer students from their own schools. For example, would an undergrad at UCLA have a better chance of getting in at UCLA. Lastly, would you be willing to take a look at my essay, and ofter honest advice as writing isn't my strong suit.

Thanks.

Hi! I am narrowing down the activities that I am putting on my SHPEP application since we only have room for 10. I am trying to include stuff I did from high school but I want to make sure to put the most important things. I was wondering are there any activities that they like to see?

Hi there!

No, I wouldn't say that there are "better" activities over others. You could be strategic with what you list though. Would you want to list a one-time volunteering event? Or maybe a long-term volunteering activity you have been apart of? Prioritize which activities YOU want committees to know about you. At the end of the day, you likely participated in them because they meant something to you. I would only recommend that for the activities you do list, make sure they are reflective and show that what you did mattered. Admissions committees want to see that you have taken the most out of your previous activities, so that you will also take advantage of SHPEP! Quality over quantity for the activities section.

Hope this helps! :headphone:
- Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador
Hi! I am narrowing down the activities that I am putting on my SHPEP application since we only have room for 10. I am trying to include stuff I did from high school but I want to make sure to put the most important things. I was wondering are there any activities that they like to see?

Last edited:
Hello! I'm a freshman pre med from Puerto Rico and I'm having struggle with my recommendation letter, I have two options:
1.Undergraduate chemistry teacher(but will give me the letter till' end of January, so my application will be later)

2. Science High School Teacher(who is willing to finish it within the end of the year so my application will be earlier)

Which one should I ask?
Thanks in advance, have a pretty day

Hi!

I always stress that applying early is important. However, I feel like this scenario is a bit different. When considering a professor's letter of recommendation versus a high school science teacher, I would side with the professor. In my opinion, I would only ask a high school teacher if there was no other choice. Also remember that the letter of recommendation is only one part of your whole application. If you decide to ask your high school teacher, this would be fine, too. I personally would not make a decision on this based on when they could submit the letter but instead who you feel like could show committees your best qualities.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any other questions or mention any concerns.

- Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador :singing:

Hello! I'm a freshman pre med from Puerto Rico and I'm having struggle with my recommendation letter, I have two options:
1.Undergraduate chemistry teacher(but will give me the letter till' end of January, so my application will be later)

2. Science High School Teacher(who is willing to finish it within the end of the year so my application will be earlier)

Which one should I ask?
Thanks in advance, have a pretty day

I've decided to wait for the professor, it'll also give me more time to focus my attention on my personal statement during winter break. Wish me luck haha Thanks a lot for replying! Have a nice day ^_^

As y’all are filling out your applications, if you find my advice helpful, please let SHPEP/AAMC know! Each SHPEP applicant I recruit should list my full name (Austin Rios) for the referral question (How did you learn about the program?) located in the Personal Information section of the application.

It means a lot to me. Please continue to post your questions here or email me! I’m always happy to help!:droid:

Reactions: 1 users
Hi
I have a question I am from Virginia which sites I should apply for it

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question. You talked about how applying early gives you an advantage. However, finals are typically in mid December, and SHPEP asks for those grades. Therefore, how could someone apply really early in November, before grades are even finalized?

Hi!

It seems like your question is about choosing SHPEP sites to apply for. There really is no right or wrong way to approach this. I would recommend that you read the descriptions of the program sites available at SHPEP.org and choose program sites that have something you could benefit from. Maybe that could be academic, clinical shadowing, or any of the other resources a particular site could offer you. You have three options: choose the ones you are interested in participating in.

I hope this helps!

-Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassdor :cool:
Hi
I have a question I am from Virginia which sites I should apply for it

Hi!

SHPEP is program that is open to college freshmen and sophomores. A sophomore would have a transcript ready for submission since they already have first semester work completed.

Applying early to SHPEP is important because we never really know exactly when a committee will sit down and review your application or of others. I should clarify that there is no set date when an application is no longer considered "early." The date you hit submit likely does not play a huge role, if at all, when a committee makes a decision about your application. All that matters is that you have a completed application by the set deadline. That being said, when I say that applying early is important, I really mean that you should apply as early and as soon as you possibly can, granted you have the means to do so.

I hope this provides some clarification and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador :pigeon:

Quick question. You talked about how applying early gives you an advantage. However, finals are typically in mid December, and SHPEP asks for those grades. Therefore, how could someone apply really early in November, before grades are even finalized?

Following, I was accepted to all three of my sites.

I was @ columbia this summer.

Hey, another question. For the activities/honors section, should we try to fill up all 10 activity slots. Is filling up 7 slots enough. Also, is it okay if we put activities/awards that we received in high school rather than college? Thanks.

T
Hey, another question. For the activities/honors section, should we try to fill up all 10 activity slots. Is filling up 7 slots enough. Also, is it okay if we put activities/awards that we received in high school rather than college? Thanks.

You can, but try to put things you've done in college. I listed multiple research experiences and clubs I was apart of in college.

If anyone wants more assistant or has anymore questions, I completed the SHPEP dental program at UAB this past summer and absolutely loved it!! Now I am a SHPEP ambassador so I can help read essays or answer any key questions you guys may have.
My stats when I applied: 2.9 GPA
Really good extracurricular activities because I’m heavily involved in school.
I got a recommendation from my high school science teacher because he knew me better than my college professors.
I applied to UAB, UF, and UCLA. I got waitlisted for UF and UAB, rejected from UCLA. I kept calling both school’s very often to check my place in the waitlist. UF’s program was filled up and one day when I called UAB the receptionist told me that she would forward my application to the admissions and I GOT IN. So do not get discouraged because you don’t have an amazing GPA and be persistent if you truly want it. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or text me 910-885-5989! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Fill up the section with the most important information and put things down that actually made a difference, not just some club you did nothing in for 2 years. I put down a lot of activities I did in high school and all my rewards from it and it worked perfectly.

If anyone wants more assistant or has anymore questions, I completed the SHPEP dental program at UAB this past summer and absolutely loved it!! Now I am a SHPEP ambassador so I can help read essays or answer any key questions you guys may have.
My stats when I applied: 2.9 GPA
Really good extracurricular activities because I’m heavily involved in school.
I got a recommendation from my high school science teacher because he knew me better than my college professors.
I applied to UAB, UF, and UCLA. I got waitlisted for UF and UAB, rejected from UCLA. I kept calling both school’s very often to check my place in the waitlist. UF’s program was filled up and one day when I called UAB the receptionist told me that she would forward my application to the admissions and I GOT IN. So do not get discouraged because you don’t have an amazing GPA and be persistent if you truly want it. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or text me 910-885-5989! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
Hi. Did you use extracurriculars from high school or your first semester of college because I don't really have any from this semester?

Hi. Did you use extracurriculars from high school or your first semester of college because I don't really have any from this semester?
I used quite a bit of extracurriculars from high school because I did a lot during that time. However, I got really involved in college from the beginning and also out down the things I thought were the most important from both. It doesn’t matter when you did it but the quality of the extracurricular!

I need help for the personal statement

my whatsapp: 408-831-2774

thank you

Happy Holidays, everyone! I’m so glad to see how much this group has grown to include more alumnus. Please continue to ask your questions and we will be happy to get back to you!

-Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador :beaver:

@Stoppingtheworld
Hi
I have a quick question about my personal statement. I wrote mine but its only 350 words.
Now I don’t know what do if this good or not or it should be 600 words.

Could you please help me

Thanks

@Stoppingtheworld
Hi
I have a quick question about my personal statement. I wrote mine but its only 350 words.
Now I don’t know what do if this good or not or it should be 600 words.

Could you please help me

Thanks

Hi there!

I just saw your email. I will respond shortly. In short, you don’t need to completely fill your personal statement. If you feel that you have answered the prompt fully, then you have your personal statement. Make sure you have everything in there that you want a committee to know. I find it easy to tell a story and wrap it around a central theme when I write personal statements.

For the letters of recommendation, I am having my intro biology professor write one for me. However, I am not majoring in Biology and he is technically not my academic advisor (although I go to him about almost everything). I consider him an advisor, but since he is not my major advisor, would it be bad to ask him for a recommendation? I have just begun a relationship with my pre-nursing advisor and she does not know me as well as my intro bio professor. Thank you! @Stoppingtheworld @awgailey

For the letters of recommendation, I am having my intro biology professor write one for me. However, I am not majoring in Biology and he is technically not my academic advisor (although I go to him about almost everything). I consider him an advisor, but since he is not my major advisor, would it be bad to ask him for a recommendation? I have just begun a relationship with my pre-nursing advisor and she does not know me as well as my intro bio professor. Thank you! @Stoppingtheworld @awgailey

Hi!

Your intro to bio professor should work fine. My understanding of the “professor in your major” requirement is that you technically need to take their course as part of your normal undergraduate degree. I’m assuming intro to bio was necessary for your major. I’m a biochemistry major and had my intro to bio professor write my letter.

Hey guys!
So I'm applying to Howard, UAB, and Nebraska, all for dental.
My stats:
3.5 GPA (freshman)
NCAA Division 1 Student-Athlete (volleyball)
I am currently volunteering at a children's hospital and a food bank.
I'm also shadowing two different dentists.
I have a really strong letter of recommendation
And, my personal statement is really strong also.
Howard is my number one choice, but an acceptance into any site would be a blessing!
Any tips on how to make my application more competitive?

Hi!

It’s hard to say exactly what makes an applicant competitive for SHPEP. Previous alumnus can all testify that other SHPEP scholars come from a wide variety of types of students. At the time when I applied, I was a well-rounded community college student but I also met some Ivy League students who were struggling. The best thing you can do is making sure you have the best possible application put together that you can.

Hello, I saw the website says the rec letter should come from a pre med advisor or college professor. Do yall think a research mentor would be ok? I could get one from my premed advisor but I believe it will be a form letter, while the research mentor will offer substance

Hello, I saw the website says the rec letter should come from a pre med advisor or college professor. Do yall think a research mentor would be ok? I could get one from my premed advisor but I believe it will be a form letter, while the research mentor will offer substance

Hi!

I believe your research mentor should qualify as a letter writer. I recommend you call SHPEP directly for specifics on this matter. They tend to be flexible but just to be safe.

ATTENTION: SHPEP Application Deadline Approaching!

Hello everyone. This is a reminder that the deadline to submit your application is about a month away now. It is not too late to get started and submit! I’m still available to provide guidance for your application. My email is listed above if you want to discuss something privately.

If you have reached out to me or are currently working with me, don’t forget to let AAMC/SHPEP know that I am working with you by listing my name in the “how did you learn about this program?” section on your online application. This is very much appreciated!

-Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador:pompous:

If anyone is applying to the Columbia site and needs help feel free to shoot me a message on here.

The SHPEP Application Webinar was recently uploaded on YouTube! I watched the whole thing and it answered all the questions I had regarding my application and many of the questions I saw on this forum! Hope it helps anybody.

Hi, @Stoppingtheworld
When I add my professor's email to the reference section, will an email be sent to my professor so that he can easily fill out the recommendation form?

Hi, @Stoppingtheworld
When I add my professor's email to the reference section, will an email be sent to my professor so that he can easily fill out the recommendation form?

Hi!

No, nothing gets sent to the letter writer, it just completes that section of the application so you can move to the next step. You would give your letter writer the form to fill out or they can write an official letter (must be signed and on letterhead) and email it to us at [email protected]. The form is on your application dashboard and on our website.

- Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador:pirate:

Hi @Stoppingtheworld

How necessary is it that the letter of recommendation comes from a professor from your major? Is it okay if it comes from a professor of a non-major class required by my college or should I ask my pre-health advisor?

Hi @Stoppingtheworld

How necessary is it that the letter of recommendation comes from a professor from your major? Is it okay if it comes from a professor of a non-major class required by my college or should I ask my pre-health advisor?

Hi!

I would recommend that you do your best to sticking to a professor within your major or a pre-health advisor since this is exact requirement from SHPEP. If neither are available, you can choose a high school science teacher or employer within the medical field.

I found out about this program so late! And I need help with the personal statement. I'm not really sure what to write about... I have some things in mind and I am writing it. But can anyone help me brainstorm?

I found out about this program so late! And I need help with the personal statement. I'm not really sure what to write about... I have some things in mind and I am writing it. But can anyone help me brainstorm?

Hi,

I just responded to your email.

Thanks,

Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador

Hey everyone!!
I'm going to be speaking at the web seminar hosted by SHPEP called "Week in the Life of a SHPEP Scholar Webinar!" It's for applicants wanting to gain insight about SHPEP directly from program sites and from a former SHPEPer. I'll be sharing my experience about the program and some of my favorite memories with you all. It will be hosted on January 29th from 6:00 pm-7:00 pm EST. I will attach a link to sign up. AAMC Webinars and Online Courses: Week in the Life of a SHPEP Scholar - January 29

Feel free to text me about any questions with applications. 910-885-5989

Good luck future SHPEPer's!!!:)

NINE DAYS UNTIL APPLICATION CLOSES - 02/05/2020

We are not far away from when this year's application cycle closes. Now is the time to double check that your application is submitted and that your transcripts have been sent! Feel free to reach out if you have any last minute questions.

- Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador :heckyeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.