***Official Temple C/O 2015 Acceptance Thread****

does anyone know if more acceptances are still going out??

Members don't see this ad.

For those who interviewed in the last two weeks, did you hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I'm in!!!
Super excited right now!
I received the e-mail at 12PM.
For those who haven't received the acceptance yet, don't give up!

I'm finally in!!...

Just for those who thought the interview went terribly ... this should give you some hope because I didn't think mine could have gone any worse!!!

nice bipster and amdrocks!
i must not give up hope!

Hey everyone,

I'd really love to interview at Temple, but so far havent heard anything form them yet. Do you guys know how late they interview until? Also I didn't see breakdown of costs for each year, only a tuition fee on the website. Does anyone know the final cost of attendance (out of state) and is it possible to gain PA residency during school?

Thanks!

I sent in my deposit yesterday! Is there a facebook group yet? I would make one but I have no idea how to do it.

Hi everyone. Congrats to those of you who got accepted.

I have an interview coming up at Temple and I was wondering if you can all give me some feedback. Temple is my #1 choice and I really want to do well at this interview. Can you please answer the following questions if possible.

1) How many people interviewed you?
2) Was it a one-on-one interview, or a group interview?
3) Was the writing portion on a general topic or a clinical topic? (don't need to tell me the topic)
4) In the interview e-mail, it says that there is a portion called "video statement." What is that?
5) Do I have anything to be nervous about?
6) Were all of the questions pretty straightforward?

Please give me any advice you can. I would really appreciate it. Once again, congrats to all of you!!!! :)

Hey there,
I interviewed there about a month ago now and I actually loved it. As everyone said before they really just want to see your personality, you have NOTHING to worry about :). Brian is the best and makes the whole thing really relaxed and fun. I personally was nervous as most people I'm sure are, and just before my video I just made some mental notes of what I wanted to talk about and went from there. Some say they'd rather just wing it but for me having an inkling of a plan helped calm my nerves a bit. I was also just accepted there recently :)D!), so thought I'd give my two cents. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

:D yup i got in too!!! yippy! got my acceptance on dec 15th.....they are still gona interview lots of people!! they interviewd about 200 people before winter break and probably gona interview another 200 afterwards so people dont loose hope!

Hey everyone,

I'd really love to interview at Temple, but so far havent heard anything form them yet. Do you guys know how late they interview until? Also I didn't see breakdown of costs for each year, only a tuition fee on the website. Does anyone know the final cost of attendance (out of state) and is it possible to gain PA residency during school?

Thanks!

im not sure what the final cost of tuition total is for oos but it's $52k a year plus various expenses, including instrument release, cost of living, books, board fees, and etc fees. sorry im too lazy to look for the handout they gave me for exact numbers but im guessing $233-300k for 4 years. im a CA resident but plan on buying a condo in philly in order to obtain state residency, which equates to a in-state $38k tuition per year. apparently based on past posts from other attendees, students aren't considered state residents so purchasing property is the best way to go about it.

Here's a link with more info: (http://www.temple.edu/registrar/students/registration/residency/)

as for facebook group, im interested. pm me

im a CA resident but plan on buying a condo in philly in order to obtain state residency, which equates to a in-state $38k tuition per year.

Good luck. They changed the definition of a state resident for tuition purposes, you cant move to a state for the purpose of obtaining education and become a state resident for tuition purposes. Even if you buy property it doesnt count. I know people who married someone from in-state and own property, they arent considered for in-state tuition. Because they moved here for school. If you were to move to PA for 1-2 years and work, then apply and get in, then you could get in-state tuition.

You could be considered a state resident for everything else, but tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my deposit today and will be a member of the 2015 class at Kornberg. I was interviewed on 10/05/10 and am from Pittsburgh.

Who else has sent in his/her deposit? Is there a fb group yet?

:D yup i got in too!!! yippy! got my acceptance on dec 15th.....they are still gona interview lots of people!! they interviewd about 200 people before winter break and probably gona interview another 200 afterwards so people dont loose hope!

is this somewhat close to the real figures or an exaggeration? still hoping to get an invite

Thanks for the advice SubtlDisharmony. And thanks everyone else....I got in :)

I am from California also and will be moving to PA. Will I have to pay out of state tuition all 4 years or just the first 1 or 2 years?

And also I heard that NY school require that you do a year of residency before working....is it the same case for Temple? Do we have to do a year of residency before practicing?

I am from California also and will be moving to PA. Will I have to pay out of state tuition all 4 years or just the first 1 or 2 years?

Congrats on getting into Temple!

You can reference the above post from PChemGrad:

They changed the definition of a state resident for tuition purposes, you cant move to a state for the purpose of obtaining education and become a state resident for tuition purposes. Even if you buy property it doesnt count. I know people who married someone from in-state and own property, they arent considered for in-state tuition. Because they moved here for school. If you were to move to PA for 1-2 years and work, then apply and get in, then you could get in-state tuition.

You could be considered a state resident for everything else, but tuition.

I was accepted at Temple... but I was also accepted at UNLV... did anyone else interview at both of these places and have input on which. I have seriously been thinking about this non stop for a month and I cannot decide. I am from Idaho... so its not like I get in state at either place.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Plan on 80k per year.

OOS tuition 4 years. no chance of gaining in state at this point.

And also I heard that NY school require that you do a year of residency before working....is it the same case for Temple? Do we have to do a year of residency before practicing?

It's not NY Schools that require you do a residency prior to practicing, it's the state of NY. In NY state you must do a residency to get licensed, however on the plus side you are not required to take NERB.

I was accepted at Temple... but I was also accepted at UNLV... did anyone else interview at both of these places and have input on which. I have seriously been thinking about this non stop for a month and I cannot decide. I am from Idaho... so its not like I get in state at either place.

Temple is a great school. UNLV is closer to ID. Go with your gut instinct from your interviews. Which one did you feel more comfortable at? That should be the most important factor.

Obviously I felt good about Temple! ;)

simiam, do you have an idea when acceptances in January usually go out?

Plan on 80k per year.

In the acceptance packet it says most students end up with about ~240 k total debt. I understand that there's obvious fluctuation but how does it end up with nearly 320 k your figure would be?

Last edited:
In the acceptance packet it says most students end up with about ~240 k total debt. I understand that there's obvious fluctuation but how does it end up with nearly 360 k your figure would be?

~240k is the estimated total for the class of 2010.

On the acceptance packet, tuition alone for OOS is $52,648. Pile on the books and instruments (~9k) and the living expenses (18k), you're looking at around 80k for year one. btw 80x4= 320k

~240k is the estimated total for the class of 2010.

On the acceptance packet, tuition alone for OOS is $52,648. Pile on the books and instruments (~9k) and the living expenses (18k), you're looking at around 80k for year one. btw 80x4= 320k

True, but first year is arguably the most expensive year, lab and book fees usually, so this would be an upper end estimate regardless.

any questions for a current student at Temple.

what kinda loans did you take out? How was the classroom setting? I saw the class room. and lastly were the teachers easy to understand and to follow?

what kinda loans did you take out? How was the classroom setting? I saw the class room. and lastly were the teachers easy to understand and to follow?
I took out the maximum amount of loans I could, excluding private loans. Stafford, and Grad Plus, this coveres the cost of tuition, fees, and living expense. The classrooms are much better than when i started out. The new lecture halls, are amazing. Plenty of space for you to see the material, besides they also video tape the lectures so you can watch them later.
I will say 90% of the professors can easily be followed. You will have some that are impossible to follow, but you learn how to as the course goes on. All the professors post their lectures online, so you can always get the ppt presentations regardless.

sure, how about what are your suggestions for places to live? ... and if you don't mind how much do you pay per month?
People typically live in a few areas, center city (Downtown), or Manayunk/Roxborough (area). Its cheaper to live in the manayunk/roxborough area. I lived at Summit Park apartments for my first two years, it was a great time. they have a bar at the appartment complex, but then if you want to go out they have a bus system that will take you down to the bars of Manayunk.
I pay just over 500 a month, and i have two other room mates, we have a house. I loved being up here. If you live by yourself your looking at spending ~800-1000, with room mates ~500-650.

Another good area if you're trying to save some money is south philly. You can get a nice apartment in a good area for around 300 a month and you are within walking distance of center city and the subway. Just remember to look for places east of broad street.

Thanks guys I will keep all of that in mind!

"I took out the maximum amount of loans I could, excluding private loans. Stafford, and Grad Plus, this coveres the cost of tuition, fees, and living expense. "

----> Do most Temple dental students qualify for all Federal loans (Stafford/ Grad Plus)

--When filling out your FAFSA did you fill in your parent's financial information too (private question...don't need to answer...)?

THANKS!

Here is a map of philly someone else in another forum created, dealing with the overall safety and quality of living in different neighborhoods.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=u...482,-75.172577&spn=0.228537,0.528374&t=h&z=12
The colors are pretty self-explanatory-
The green is safe for pretty much anyone- old people, families, etc.
The yellow is alright- Perhaps the blocks are a little bit less-kept, and maybe there is the occasional guy smoking weed, but you can live pretty comfortably and quietly here.
The orange means somewhat sketchy, but if you have moderate street smarts, you'll be ok, as long as you don't amble around drunkenly.
The red is exactly what it seems- a no-go zone, not a neighborhood you should consider living in
Hope this helps

So I have an interview next week, currently Im a MS student and really enjoy research. I was wondering if at Temple its common for DS students to be involved in research and if that is manageable with the curriculum.

Reason why I ask is that I think my research experience and publications might help set me apart from other applicants, and it would be nice to explain that to a school that allows its students to take advantage of research opportunities.

And also unrelated to this, how big is the class size?

Last edited:
So I have an interview next week, currently Im a MS student and really enjoy research. I was wondering if at Temple its common for DS students to be involved in research and if that is manageable with the curriculum.

Reason why I ask is that I think my research experience and publications might help set me apart from other applicants, and it would be nice to explain that to a school that allows its students to take advantage of research opportunities.

And also unrelated to this, how big is the class size?

Temple has 1 of 3 oral microbiology research facilities in the US. Emphasize that you want to participate in it and why you are qualified, they will surely love that. (I too enjoy the research aspect and stressed that in the video interview, I was accepted)

Temple has 1 of 3 oral microbiology research facilities in the US. Emphasize that you want to participate in it and why you are qualified, they will surely love that. (I too enjoy the research aspect and stressed that in the video interview, I was accepted)

Thanks a lot, I actually have a BS in Microbio and my MS will be in Cell Bio. I will look into that for sure.

simiam, do you have an idea when acceptances in January usually go out?

I am fairly sure that at this point acceptances will go out on a rolling basis.

In the acceptance packet it says most students end up with about ~240 k total debt. I understand that there's obvious fluctuation but how does it end up with nearly 320 k your figure would be?

240k is about right for in states, maybe a little higher. 320k represents the maximum loan amount for out of state students. The reason why the average is lower is because not everyone takes out loans. Some are lucky enough to have their school paid for without loans, others might get private family loans, others may only take loans for tuition and have a spouse to cover living expenses...

True, but first year is arguably the most expensive year, lab and book fees usually, so this would be an upper end estimate regardless.

The maximum amount of loan you can take out for an out of state student will be around 80k. In the first year your fees may be higher but that will just make it so that you have less $$ for living expenses... New students will not have to deal with this though. The central sterilization is almost complete. There will not be a huge fee for equipment purchase first year anymore. Students will be paying a leasing fee to the school for their equipment. They will rent, not own. I think the pricing is posted on dental.temple.edu...

"I took out the maximum amount of loans I could, excluding private loans. Stafford, and Grad Plus, this coveres the cost of tuition, fees, and living expense. "

----> Do most Temple dental students qualify for all Federal loans (Stafford/ Grad Plus)

--When filling out your FAFSA did you fill in your parent's financial information too (private question...don't need to answer...)?

THANKS!

You automatically qualify for most federal loans by being a dental student. I believe Grad Plus might have a contingency of credit but I don't remember and I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected due to poor credit.

Unless your parents make well into the 6 figures you should include it. Their information can only help you get better loans. It will not effect the standard federal loans. For instance, I included my parents information on my FAFSA. They make just over 100,000 with a few dependents. I was able to qualify for the HPSL loan. This loan replaces grad plus loan since it is a better loan. HPSL is subsidized while in school and the interest rate is 5%.

Hopefully I answered all your questions sufficiently. If not, feel free to message me or post again.

Take care all!

The interview was pretty quick. Just sent in my deposit two days ago. Brian was a very chilled guy. Man, man, man, it was a relieve to get accepted into here. I'm so excited. Great school with great clinical strength. I'm not the strongest on the DAT(AA 19, Science 22, PA 17) but i think my interview day went quite well. Just ask questions and make sure you get a chance to make an impression on the staffs. It's pretty relaxing. BU was pretty relaxing too, but BU was really long day. Honestly, i didn't like Boston area that much (don't hit me lol). I don't know why. Just wasn't my thing or maybe I had such high expectation for the city when i got there and the weather was so bad when i was visiting. The museum was awesome though
My advise for the video conference is "to be quick and to the point. Don't ramble, but don't be too short either". I personally didn't write down anything before heading in. I just had mental notes of what i was gonna talk about. U can though.
Hope to see everybody in August 2011. Congratulation to those who got accepted :). Those who didn't, don't give up yet. Temple is one of the schools who's known to not have interviewed for the majority of the seats before DEC.1. You still got a chance. How's everybody living situation. Interested in being roommates? :cool:

Last edited:
yea. i recently was accepted ( post dec interview), im very excited to attend Temple.

I'm glad to see that there are a bunch of people who are excited to attend Temple. If you haven't been accepted yet, don't give up, there's still time!

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a link to some of the photos I took of some of the first year lab work that I did last year.

http://leoele.blogspot.com/2010/08/d1-first-year-summary.html

Leave a comment!

I'm glad to see that there are a bunch of people who are excited to attend Temple. If you haven't been accepted yet, don't give up, there's still time!

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a link to some of the photos I took of some of the first year lab work that I did last year.

http://leoele.blogspot.com/2010/08/d1-first-year-summary.html

Leave a comment!

it looks great man
i really want to attend Temple but I still haven't heard back yet =(

I interviewed first week of DEC at Temple. Still haven't heard anything. Should I be worried?

Hi everyone! Has anyone started looking for apartments yet? Do you guys know which areas are safe to live in? Also, if anyone is interested, I'm looking for a female roommate who is also in the class of 2015.

I'm looking for apartments now. I'll let you guys know if I find any good ones.

Congrats to those who have been accepted to Temple dental school. It's a great school. If you are interested in buying a house, please email me at [email protected]. I live in a nice home with a deck and a fenced in yard. I live 20-30 minutes drive away from the school. It is also a 5-10 minute walk to the subway station which has been very convenient on days where my carpool had to go home early. There are a dozen other Temple dental students that live near my neighborhood. If you are interested, shoot me an email. Thanks and good luck.

[email protected]

hey guys I was interviewed at Temple about a week ago...when will I hear back from them?

I interview early january, heard back around 8 days later. he says it really varries alot. but generally, if you interviewed in december, and havnt heard back anything for a while ( month to 2 months), you might have been waitlisted.

I interview early january, heard back around 8 days later. he says it really varries alot. but generally, if you interviewed in december, and havnt heard back anything for a while ( month to 2 months), you might have been waitlisted.

WOW 8 days! Im on day 8 today, it would be awesome to hear back. What are your stats if you dont mind sharing.

20AA, 3.3ogpa, 3.4 sgpa. i mean im not saying that will happen to everyone, i think my interview went really well, so i am really excited i got in and will hopefully attend Temple. he did say though, if you dont hear back for quite a while, you prob got waitlisted or maybe a rejection ( most likely a waitlist I think, not positive though).