*** Official U of T in memphis Acceptance thread 2009 cycle***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well it is hard to improve your application based on what Dr. Coleman says. I was told LAST year I didn't get in due to my pre-reqs not being completed(they would be completed 3 weeks later though). This year they were complete, ALL As and Bs. sgpa 3.3 overall 3.4 with two degrees. Last year my DAT was fine, this year he asked why I didn't retake it and once I told him that he told me not to last year he tried to blame it on my gpa. But last year my gpa was fine. And I am an in-state resident.

So oh well, congratulations to all those who got in! UT Memphis was just not meant to be the school for me and I am ok with that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Now that's screwed up. Seems like he was giving you the run-around. I do feel like Dr. Coleman prefers some students over others and will give those students a seat even if their stats are lower. I think that's pretty crappy on their part but I guess adcoms make up the rules.

Well it is hard to improve your application based on what Dr. Coleman says. I was told LAST year I didn't get in due to my pre-reqs not being completed(they would be completed 3 weeks later though). This year they were complete, ALL As and Bs. sgpa 3.3 overall 3.4 with two degrees. Last year my DAT was fine, this year he asked why I didn't retake it and once I told him that he told me not to last year he tried to blame it on my gpa. But last year my gpa was fine. And I am an in-state resident.

So oh well, congratulations to all those who got in! UT Memphis was just not meant to be the school for me and I am ok with that.

Ouch! I am sorry you didn't get in, dds4yrs -- it sounds like your stats were totally fine! How can we believe a word that guy says?

Did you get in anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch! I am sorry you didn't get in, dds4yrs -- it sounds like your stats were totally fine! How can we believe a word that guy says?

Did you get in anywhere else?

Yeah I have tried to warn others of not being able to believe him but some people still have good experiences. I have always has a "hit or miss" relationship with him, half good and half bad. Guess I was not one of his favorites. Fortunately I have been accepted somewhere else and still have a chance at another school. UT was my state school, but everything will work out how it is supposed to! I wish everyone else the best as well, I believe we all have learned a valuable lesson through this...I would definitely speak with the Dean if I should HAVE to apply there again.

BillytheEchidna did you get in anywhere else?? I hope you did!

that sucks man, sorry.

Did you read what happened to me back in March? he told me I was accepted, then told me 5 minutes later, oops, wrong person, you are not accepted. go back and read what happened on the previous page or two. Between that and then him giving me the run around today, I am really contemplating calling the Dean of the Dental school or someone even higher up.
But seriously, go read my post from last month on page 3 or 4 of this thread. he said congrats, you are accepted... then within 3 minutes he crushed my dream and said, oh wrong person. i held my cool because I knew there was going to be another review (this one) and bit my toung and said its ok, mistakes happen, meanwhile i was devistated. He did not even say sorry or seem remorsful. now after that and then the run around today, sgpa not being high enough, and no advice on how to improve it, im really thinking about getting in touch with someone higher up.

this really did not seem like an official or effecient admissions process. but maybe I should look at the positives. Maybe God wants me at LLU. UT is having financial difficulty and is really under pressure about not passing the accrediting next year. Maybe Im better off at LLU (which I am still waiting for)

anyway im done bitching and moaning, Congrats to those who have been accepted. Im not bitter about being rejected, its just the other circumstances that upset me...

HERE IS MY POST FROM PAGE 2:

So this is fantastic!!! you really need to read this:

I called and Dr Coleman was on the other line. I left my phone number for him to call me back. I was at work and ran outside to answer the phone. He said "your accepted" I was like seriously, thank you so much! I was speachless and so excited!! he said so you are First M Last name correct? I said I am First (same) M (Different) Last (same). he said what? I said you are joking right? this is my first middle and last name (not very common btw). He said your middle name is not ____ and you are not from ___. I said no, my middle name is ___ and I am from ____. He said hold on. after about 3 of the longest minutes of my life, he said looks like we had 2 people with the same name apply and interview, but different middle names. You are not accepted yet, you will be reviewed again in March. I was like are you kidding me? you just told me i was accepted, and my name is def not common especially interviewing at the same school. he said sorry...

I went from the 2nd most happy time of my life to the 2 most sad within a matter of 3 minutes...

I am absolutely shocked that this could happen....seriously, why me? I was SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
needa20 OMG that is terrible! I do remember that now...check your inbox. That is just a lack of professionalism on his part. He obviously knew he had two applicants with the same first and last name, WHY WOULDN'T you start with asking state or something else?! Even starting with "hey just want to make sure I have the right person...." It's not like they have they 2500 applicants like most other dental schools, since they don't participate in AADSAS. GOOD LUCK with LLU!!!

I have been hearing that UT is in trouble, WONDER WHY!!! All in all I do know it is still a fine university to attend, although I do not get the opportunity to at this time, I am sure those attending will do wonderfully! It is just unfortunate so many applicants have the same complaints about the admissions process. They will stay accredited, but will continue to lose respect within the community.

Yeah I have tried to warn others of not being able to believe him but some people still have good experiences. I have always has a "hit or miss" relationship with him, half good and half bad. Guess I was not one of his favorites. Fortunately I have been accepted somewhere else and still have a chance at another school. UT was my state school, but everything will work out how it is supposed to! I wish everyone else the best as well, I believe we all have learned a valuable lesson through this...I would definitely speak with the Dean if I should HAVE to apply there again.

BillytheEchidna did you get in anywhere else?? I hope you did!

Thank you! No, I only applied to U of T. I live in Memphis and really like it here (and I don't have the best stats, so I thought it was also my best shot). It ticks me off when people have a bad attitude about being "stuck in Memphis" for 4 years of dental school. They should go somewhere else!

Good luck with the school you're still waiting on, and congrats on getting accepted someplace!

Thank you! No, I only applied to U of T. I live in Memphis and really like it here (and I don't have the best stats, so I thought it was also my best shot). It ticks me off when people have a bad attitude about being "stuck in Memphis" for 4 years of dental school. They should go somewhere else!

Good luck with the school you're still waiting on, and congrats on getting accepted someplace!

It is a little disheartening that I won't be an alumni of my home state school and I understand your frustrations about those complaining about being "stuck in Memphis." I hope you have better luck next time, whether you stick by Memphis or venture out to other schools. This was my 2nd cycle to go through and I am just thankful to have one acceptance, I am definitely not going to be greedy. Thanks for the congrats and good luck though!

I do think I would be in contact with the DEAN though over Dr. Coleman should you reapply there. Hopefully you can get some valuable AND trustworthy advice from him, since Dr. Coleman has proven himself otherwise.

Abrown: i asked about the waitlist. I am not on it, just rejected. there is a waitlist already made up. so if someone drops out, they accept from the waitlist

im not on it, so dont care too much now

-I was also dissappointed when I asked him how to improve my application. he would not say much. just sait gpa was too low. I said ok, so should I retake sciences to get better grades or take more upper division sciences to raise gpa? he would not tell me....

--Even though he decided not to attend UT, I find it interesting that someone predents was accepted with a sgpa of 3.05 the round in february....if my 3.2 was too low, how was his 3.05 good enough. oh well, im not going to sulk. just pray i get into LLU
here are some stats of someone who was accepted into my class (2012):

bio - 15
gchem- 17
ochem- 14
pat-18
qr-15
rc- 18
aa- 16
ts- 15

GPA - 2.82
sGPA - 2.22
post bac GPA - 3.22

A couple of my buddies with way better stats did not get in last year, and this person did. Talk about frustrating (even though both of my friends found out they got in this round).

one word: diversity

i'll leave it at that.

bio - 15
gchem- 17
ochem- 14
pat-18
qr-15
rc- 18
aa- 16
ts- 15

GPA - 2.82
sGPA - 2.22
post bac GPA - 3.22

A couple of my buddies with way better stats did not get in last year, and this person did. Talk about frustrating (even though both of my friends found out they got in this round).

i'll leave it at that.
I completely feel the same way. 15/16 dat, are you kidding me...?

there is someone on predents who got into UT this year also. 3.36 sgpa, where mine is 3.2. he has 19/18/17 dat where i have 19/18/18 dat. but look at his the undergrad school (and he got in during the 2nd round of reviewing, when GPA's were supposed to be much higher).

** I do not think Lotexigeus and i are trying to turn this thread into something more than just an acceptance thread, but it is VERY frustrating. Again, not tring to turn this thread into something it is not

Last edited:
It would be so easy to get carried away... :) Think about it, though: those are just the people who DO post their stats on predents, which is a small percentage of applicants and accepted students. I bet the overall stats will level out to be about the same this year as they have been in years past -- it's just the most competitive year ever for the over-represented majority.

It would be so easy to get carried away... :) Think about it, though: those are just the people who DO post their stats on predents, which is a small percentage of applicants and accepted students. I bet the overall stats will level out to be about the same this year as they have been in years past -- it's just the most competitive year ever for the over-represented majority.
I agree, we only know the stats of the 14 accepted students out of the 80 who were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a little disheartening that I won't be an alumni of my home state school and I understand your frustrations about those complaining about being "stuck in Memphis." I hope you have better luck next time, whether you stick by Memphis or venture out to other schools. This was my 2nd cycle to go through and I am just thankful to have one acceptance, I am definitely not going to be greedy. Thanks for the congrats and good luck though!

I do think I would be in contact with the DEAN though over Dr. Coleman should you reapply there. Hopefully you can get some valuable AND trustworthy advice from him, since Dr. Coleman has proven himself otherwise.

I doubt this will help you. The dean has not even made an effort to meet his current dental students.

bio - 15
gchem- 17
ochem- 14
pat-18
qr-15
rc- 18
aa- 16
ts- 15

GPA - 2.82
sGPA - 2.22
post bac GPA - 3.22

i'll leave it at that.

It's called affirmative action. The icing on the cake is that "minorities" all get a 10k scholarship per year. By minority I mean black. Asians and Indians are not considered minorities. I've heard that this scholarship has stopped...and i'm glad. This is the biggest waste of money and UT has none.

You can't compare yourself with these stats if you're not black.

It's called affirmative action. The icing on the cake is that "minorities" all get a 10k scholarship per year. By minority I mean black. Asians and Indians are not considered minorities. I've heard that this scholarship has stopped...and i'm glad. This is the biggest waste of money and UT has none.

Seems like u just made this account to tell us that!!!!

he/she's a lurker that had a reason to post. more power to him/her.

agreed.
it is reverse discrimination to give preference to someone because of their race, color, creed, sex... ESPECIALLY for a public institution

If no one with my gpa/dat scores was accepted, then fine. but to accept some with lower stats just because of their race, that is VERY discrimintory. especially when i am being told the only reason i did not get in was my sgpa.

I think someone must have gotten mad about one of my last few posts because they sent me a pm telling me that it was funny that Dr Coleman said I was accepted then told me he had the wrong person.... must have been one of the people im talking about....

My other problem with using sgpa as the primary mode of acceptance after an interview is the fact that we all went to different schools. some may have gone to schools that are not terribly difficult, while others may have gone to a school that teaches Bio Chem and Human Anatomy at med/dent school level, or their science dept in general is insanly hard. believe me, there is a public university 20 mins from me that the science department is much easier and Im sure that my sgpa would be much higher if i had gone there. but I chose to go to an alternative where the deptarment is much better, but also much harder. looks like i should have chosen the other now...

a private instution has every right to accept primarly from a certain group. Meharry, Howard we all know accept primarly minorities (i know there are a few exceptions), and LLU that accpts about 1/2 to 2/3 a certain religion (and yes im on waitlist there). Im just saying a public instution that is state or federally funded should accept based soley on dat, gpa, EC's, interview....any factor they want except for what color the applicant is...
We are all equal right? All equal in God's eyes right? no matter race, religion...you get my drift

Needa20, that was probably my fault, and I apologize... There was another thread where someone had a similar story as yours and I linked to your post about your experience. I am sorry -- it was not my place to do so, and I feel awful that some jerk messaged you to say they thought it was funny! I have removed the link. If you want to contribute to the discussion yourself, the thread has Bizarre misspelled "Bizzare" in the title.

Needa20, that was probably my fault, and I apologize... There was another thread where someone had a similar story as yours and I linked to your post about your experience. I am sorry -- it was not my place to do so, and I feel awful that some jerk messaged you to say they thought it was funny! I have removed the link. If you want to contribute to the discussion yourself, the thread has Bizarre misspelled "Bizzare" in the title.
no need to apologize at all. It was not your fault. I remember the thread you are referring to. you had a good idea linking my thread in the other one. Please do not feel bad at all as you did nothing wrong. again, similiar situation so it was actually a good idea to mention what happened to me in the other thread:)

as to the person who sent me a message, they are probably one of the people with lower stats than mine who got in strictly based on their race....

again, you did nothing wrong so no apology necessary

EDIT* actually i just checked, and looks like he was banned. I did not report him, so I guess he is just an idiot. the screen name was dingleberrylove

and here is a link to a post he started yesterday and then was banned:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=619680&highlight=dingleberrylove

OK, thanks! I reposted the link, too. Dingleberrylove. What a winner! Maybe he was the other one with the same name as you... and lower stats??!

Something else that I happened to notice... Timothy L. Hottel, the new dean, has an MBA.

I switched my schedule a little, so I will be taking an art class in the fall. If I can't be in dental school, I want to at least take ONE class I enjoy, instead of slaving away over all these science classes, day in and day out. :D

Has anyone who was still waiting on word from the last meeting (last Thursday the 9th) received anything in the mail (accepted/waitlisted/rejected)?

I haven't gotten anything yet... A current student said that some letters would probably be sent out yesterday, but those may only be the acceptances. A past applicant said that they don't send out rejection letters until June!

Has anyone who was still waiting on word from the last meeting (last Thursday the 9th) received anything in the mail (accepted/waitlisted/rejected)?
you can call to find out...

they accept around 11, and waitlisted a few. and rejected the rest. i was one that was rejected, not waitlisted

Last year I was flat out rejected and didn't receive the rejection letter until the 2nd week of June...I had already applied again! haha...I'm sure only those accepted will be getting anything in the mail!

Last year I was flat out rejected and didn't receive the rejection letter until the 2nd week of June...I had already applied again! haha...I'm sure only those accepted will be getting anything in the mail!

Wow!! So applying early had no effect? We should all do a TV show called "Conventional Wisdom" (get it?). :) All the things that seem to hold true for schools in other places are irrelevant at UT. It's the wild, wild West Tennessee. *sigh* I am still going to reapply earlier than I did last year (early November), but probably not until after I retake Gen Chem II.

Wow!! So applying early had no effect? We should all do a TV show called "Conventional Wisdom" (get it?). :) All the things that seem to hold true for schools in other places are irrelevant at UT. It's the wild, wild West Tennessee. *sigh* I am still going to reapply earlier than I did last year (early November), but probably not until after I retake Gen Chem II.

I had 2 friends apply last year at the end of November and they both were accepted in March(which was the 2nd decision last year). So I really don't think when you apply has any impact at UT.

I did interview last year(applied in August last year) and since that went well they didn't have me back for an interview this year! Dr. Coleman and Ms. Hart told me they don't make you go through the interview again if you did well the first time, so it is not an insult or supposedly an indication of where you stand with them. Several of the D1 students I ate lunch with that day had been reapplicants and did not interview again and said they jsut received their acceptance letters in the mail one day. Still a little confused by it all, but beating myself up over it! And yes I had my full application in and paid June 1st this year!!!!! Which was of course the first day you could apply...

Did you get an interview this year? Have you called to speak with Dr. Coleman again, or do you plan to before you apply again?

And yes NOTHING holds true for TN like the other schools. I guess it is since they do not participate in AADSAS, still have over 500 applicants for 80 spots(which I heard is going to 60 next year) and can basically make up the rules as they go. I think the TV show is a WONDERFUL idea! haha

I had 2 friends apply last year at the end of November and they both were accepted in March(which was the 2nd decision last year). So I really don't think when you apply has any impact at UT.

I did interview last year(applied in August last year) and since that went well they didn't have me back for an interview this year! Dr. Coleman and Ms. Hart told me they don't make you go through the interview again if you did well the first time, so it is not an insult or supposedly an indication of where you stand with them. Several of the D1 students I ate lunch with that day had been reapplicants and did not interview again and said they jsut received their acceptance letters in the mail one day. Still a little confused by it all, but beating myself up over it! And yes I had my full application in and paid June 1st this year!!!!! Which was of course the first day you could apply...

Did you get an interview this year? Have you called to speak with Dr. Coleman again, or do you plan to before you apply again?

And yes NOTHING holds true for TN like the other schools. I guess it is since they do not participate in AADSAS, still have over 500 applicants for 80 spots(which I heard is going to 60 next year) and can basically make up the rules as they go. I think the TV show is a WONDERFUL idea! haha

The interview is pretty much to make sure you aren't a crackhead or immature (which, according to the way some of my classmates act, the adcom didn't do a wonderful job). My roommate applied a year early, had a horrible interview experience, was rejected that year and was accepted the following year without a second interview.

As for the 60 student class, that is just a rumor. Back when i heard it, it was supposed to apply to the c/o 2013. There is no truth to it.

I applied in early November and interviewed in January. I didn't think I did all that well at the interview, but I'm my own biggest critic. When I spoke with Dr. Coleman, he said that I didn't need to interview again or retake the DAT -- that the reason they couldn't accept me this year was due to my core GPA being 2.94 (this was "very low"). I will probably call him again before I reapply...

I was competitive when I applied. What changed between when I applied and when I interviewed was that I got a D in Biochem, which is reason enough to kick me out of consideration. But I am taking Biochem II right now, which *I* think should also meet the 3-credit requirement for Biochem (the website doesn't specify I or II). I am also going to retake Biochem I. There will be a new Biochem teacher at my school in the fall; the other one one was notoriously brilliant but notoriously difficult, and not very clear on what she would test you on ("everything in the book" which is Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry). I knew students who got A's, but they studied 2+ hours a day and had access to her old tests. Anyway, it may be possible for me to get a B in Biochem II. Anyone on the adcomm will totally be able to guess who I am from my posts, so I am trying to keep it nice. I know that my grades are my own fault and responsibility.

I have received two things from the American Student Dental Association this week. They are taunting me... :)

"blacks" are not the minority in Memphis.

That is all I have to say about that. I have plenty of African American friends.

As for Dr. Coleman, I've talked to him a few times (and I'm still a few years from hopefully getting in) and I agree, he doesn't seem to give the attention you would think he should.

I've also been frustrated regarding out-dated credits. Being a "non-traditional" student, some of my credits are over 5 years old. I've called and left multiple messages with multiple people (the operator never seems to send me to the same person) I sent an e-mail two weeks ago, still no response. Why does it matter when I took comp 1010 and 1020? I made an A and a B. I had such a strong A in 1010 the professor asked only me to not worry about taking his final. 1020 the professor was full of himself, but I still made a B. I'm in a literary heritage class making a very strong A writing smaller, but more, assignments. As for Biology 1110, again, if I have to complete 1120 to get a degree from U of M, why do they care when I took 1110?

I'm starting to feel the same way, like I'll just find another school and worry about the out-of-state tuition costs after graduation. Meharry is another option, their site makes no mention of caring about out-dated credits.

I've also been frustrated regarding out-dated credits. Being a "non-traditional" student, some of my credits are over 5 years old. I've called and left multiple messages with multiple people (the operator never seems to send me to the same person) I sent an e-mail two weeks ago, still no response. Why does it matter when I took comp 1010 and 1020? I made an A and a B. I had such a strong A in 1010 the professor asked only me to not worry about taking his final. 1020 the professor was full of himself, but I still made a B. I'm in a literary heritage class making a very strong A writing smaller, but more, assignments. As for Biology 1110, again, if I have to complete 1120 to get a degree from U of M, why do they care when I took 1110?

I'm starting to feel the same way, like I'll just find another school and worry about the out-of-state tuition costs after graduation. Meharry is another option, their site makes no mention of caring about out-dated credits.

Dr. Coleman admits that e-mail is not a very good way to reach him, but that's too bad that you haven't had any luck with phone calls, either! I called and asked one of the ladies about outdated credit in English (since I have a B.A. in English, I thought it would be silly to have to take intro comp again!) and she said it only applied to the hard science classes. When I applied this past year, they never told me that my English credit was outdated.

Bio 1110 and 1120 are quite different in subject matter. It sucks to have to re-take those classes, but try to think about it as test-prep for the DAT (albeit expensive test-prep!). If you apply to U of T, you will want to figure out your "core classes" GPA and make sure it is well above 3.0. They will average old grades with new ones when they do this. That's what kept me out this year... at least, that's what he told me.

"blacks" are not the minority in Memphis.

That is all I have to say about that. I have plenty of African American friends.

The application pool is what matters, not the fact that the school is in Memphis.

Does anybody plan to do this?

http://www.utmem.edu/5krace/

"On April 26, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry will host the First Annual 5K Run/Walk in Memphis, in conjunction with the university's Health Awareness Kickoff. Proceeds from this event will be used to support dental programs offered by the UT College of Dentistry. This event will be held at Forrest Park, which is located in a prime mid-town location and bordered by Union, Manassas, Dunlap and Madison."

even though this is not related to UT (thankfully), I have made several friends in this thread over the past months so I wanted to give an update of myself.

Of course I was rejected by UT a week or 2 ago (per above), But I was accepted to LLU :) AADSAS changed today to offer made!!!

I realize that this is not related to UT, but some of us have remained in contact through this thread so I want to let you know.

I give all the credit to God. Good luck and God bless to everyone else still waiting, accpeted, or getting ready for next year.

Hey needa20 thats soo awesome! I am VERY HAppy for you, and to hear that!! I know that you wanted this just as much as everybody and you totally deserve it , especially after all the stress that I know you were put through!! That is really great to hear! Congrats! I hate that we wont get to be classmates but thats ok! I am happy for you! good luck with everything!!

Hey needa20 thats soo awesome! I am VERY HAppy for you, and to hear that!! I know that you wanted this just as much as everybody and you totally deserve it , especially after all the stress that I know you were put through!! That is really great to hear! Congrats! I hate that we wont get to be classmates but thats ok! I am happy for you! good luck with everything!!
thanks!!
I was looking forward to being classmates with many of you, but things work out for a reason. UT and LLU are both very clinically focused, so at least we will both come out very prepared :)

When I interviewed Dr. Coleman said they are interviewing 160 people this year, cause I remembering thinking about how half of the people who get interviewed will be accepted.

Does UT give a preferance to reapplicants? since it shows determination...

needa20: I see that you got your MBA. Did you get your masters in Knoxville? I am a Finance major with a collateral in Accounting. It is my backup plan in case dentistry doesn't work out. If you don't mind I'd like to personal message you about the job market if you don't mind since you probably know a lot more about it then I do, let me know if thats ok.

jwalke: I know about the no +'s. Thats really annoying. But I guess if you think about it, besides the 4.0's, everyone's GPA will go down some. I think mine went down .08, haha which doesn't seem like a lot but when you are fighting to stay competitive with average stats it can be detrimental.

Do yall think its annoying when people keep asking about if you have gotten in yet? I hate having to be like "no I'm still waiting..."

Quick question...so there's no +'s...does that mean there's no A - 's? :) I'd love for my A -'s to turn into A's !!!

A- will be an A...grade will just be whatever letter is there (no +/-)

Dr. Coleman admits that e-mail is not a very good way to reach him, but that's too bad that you haven't had any luck with phone calls, either! I called and asked one of the ladies about outdated credit in English (since I have a B.A. in English, I thought it would be silly to have to take intro comp again!) and she said it only applied to the hard science classes. When I applied this past year, they never told me that my English credit was outdated.

Bio 1110 and 1120 are quite different in subject matter. It sucks to have to re-take those classes, but try to think about it as test-prep for the DAT (albeit expensive test-prep!). If you apply to U of T, you will want to figure out your "core classes" GPA and make sure it is well above 3.0. They will average old grades with new ones when they do this. That's what kept me out this year... at least, that's what he told me.

Sorry so long to get back to this topic, I've been dealing with my first semester back to college final's.

Great info and great advice. I've only taken Biology 1110, so if I end up re-taking it, its not that big of a deal to me. While I didn't complete a degree in English, I do agree that it shouldn't matter when you took early composition classes. Between Comp I, Comp II, and the literature class I just completed (in which we wrote quite a few papers) it should be obvious that I can properly compose a paper. I figured out my own "system" back in High School, it has yet to let me down...

The application pool is what matters, not the fact that the school is in Memphis.

We're all aware of this, I was just stating that its a "catch 22" in my own opinion...

A- will be an A...grade will just be whatever letter is there (no +/-)

Great information. My old college did not do +/- that I recall, I was surprised to see +/-'s when I checked my grades from The University of Memphis this morning.

i just got a call from dr. coleman yesterday!!!.....and
i got accepted!!!!!! yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:eek::p:D
THANK YOU JESUS!
so now i am way behind and have to get my depoist and everything together.
has anyone heard when is orientation?
:p
see you guys soon!

THANK YOU JESUS!
see you guys soon!

hey..
congrats...looking forward to becoming ur classmate!

Well i think orientation are probably right before the school starts so first week of august..but i m not 100% sure.

THANK YOU JESUS!
see you guys soon!
So I'm assuming you got Waitlisted and then a spot opened up for you? Seems weird you just now found out mid May! Didn't accepted student have up to May 1 to decline/accept?

Hey guys!! I have a question that I didn't find easily by searching....figured ya'll would know: When does the application open up on UT-Memphis' website? Is it June 1st or what? A friend of mine also applying there tried to tell me it didn't open up until July :rolleyes:, but I noticed that some people were getting their interview invites to Memphis in July, so I am skeptical to believe her.....

Thanks!!

Last year it was June 1st so I'm assuming it'd be the same this year.

So I'm assuming you got Waitlisted and then a spot opened up for you? Seems weird you just now found out mid May! Didn't accepted student have up to May 1 to decline/accept?

yeah well guess i got lucky:luck: huh?!:rolleyes:Thanks for the Congrats tho!
NO! I know its all GOD, not luck! I interviewed pretty late in the game and harrassed Dr. Coleman for the past 3 years of my life! lol.
:D

I guess everyone else prayed harder than I did, because it didn't happen for me this year... Congrats to everyone else who did make it in somewhere, especially you, Needa20! I don't know if anyone is still reading SDN, but I have been purposely avoiding it for the last few months. I found that it was lowering my morale tremendously to read so many of the posts from little sh*ts in other schools. But this U-T thread was definitely great for cameraderie, and I am quite e-fond of many of you! Anyway, I have avoided SDN, adopted a dog (true puppy love) and am in a much better place after Rejection '09.

I probably won't be reapplying for next year's class. I don't think that I would be accepted, even if I did. I am looking into pursuing a 2-year master's program that will begin this fall. It's all very last-minute -- I only called to inquire about the program this week and they are trying to get me into an available slot for this year's class! Nothing's a done-deal yet, but it's a great boost to potentially be pursuing an actual career, instead of being in limbo for another 1-3 years. Even though I won't be in dental school with y'all, we may bump into each other on campus. :)

I still want to be a dentist as much as I did before, but I am extremely disenchanted with U of T's admissions. I can happily do another career for another ten years or more, start a family, and reapply after Dr. Coleman has retired. Saving the world can wait -- I have to save myself first.

Just to stir the pot a little... For your edification, a link! I always naively thought that the faculty in the D-school probably taught out of the goodness of their hearts. You know, not earning a salary anywhere close to what they would earn in private practice. Unh-uh. Take a looksee, or, a search-see, as the case may be. It's all in the public domain:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/utsalaries/

I guess everyone else prayed harder than I did, because it didn't happen for me this year... Congrats to everyone else who did make it in somewhere, especially you, Needa20! I don't know if anyone is still reading SDN, but I have been purposely avoiding it for the last few months. I found that it was lowering my morale tremendously to read so many of the posts from little sh*ts in other schools. But this U-T thread was definitely great for cameraderie, and I am quite e-fond of many of you! Anyway, I have avoided SDN, adopted a dog (true puppy love) and am in a much better place after Rejection '09.

I probably won't be reapplying for next year's class. I don't think that I would be accepted, even if I did. I am looking into pursuing a 2-year master's program that will begin this fall. It's all very last-minute -- I only called to inquire about the program this week and they are trying to get me into an available slot for this year's class! Nothing's a done-deal yet, but it's a great boost to potentially be pursuing an actual career, instead of being in limbo for another 1-3 years. Even though I won't be in dental school with y'all, we may bump into each other on campus. :)

I still want to be a dentist as much as I did before, but I am extremely disenchanted with U of T's admissions. I can happily do another career for another ten years or more, start a family, and reapply after Dr. Coleman has retired. Saving the world can wait -- I have to save myself first.

Just to stir the pot a little... For your edification, a link! I always naively thought that the faculty in the D-school probably taught out of the goodness of their hearts. You know, not earning a salary anywhere close to what they would earn in private practice. Unh-uh. Take a looksee, or, a search-see, as the case may be. It's all in the public domain:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/utsalaries/
glad you are doing well Billy :)

I just moved out here to LLU a week ago. We dont start classes until the end of September. So i have a little break. I think im gonna start studying for biochem as i had a hard time with it in undergrad and everyone here says its VERY hard (even thouse who did well in undergrad).

I wish we could have been classmates for 2009, but it sounds like you are getting things inline for yourself. Congrats on getting the masters lined up. I know you (and of course me) are not too happy with UT admissions, but would it hurt for you to apply for upcoming cycle (besides of course the money)? Just a thought.

keep me informed :)
Good luck and God bless

Hello you lucky lucky people!

I know there's an interview feedback part of SDN....but I was hoping for a little more detail about Memphis's interview process.

My interview is Aug 21....it's my first (and my 1st choice school)...so I wanna do the best I possibly can. Thanks y'all! <---TN accent for ya ;)