*** Official U of T in memphis Acceptance thread 2009 cycle***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those who have already been accepted, and hang in there to those who are still waiting to hear. I interviewed Feb. 6, and found out I was accepted on Feb. 24.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Dr. Coleman counts math grades in the science GPA? I'm trying to figure out my schedule for the summer.

Good luck all you ambitious predents, and to the students that were already accepted, get plenty of sleep and take lots of naps.

If anyone has any specific questions about the D1 school year, you can pm me. I'll try to get to them as soon as i can. I'm a UT D1 from Arkansas btw.

If anybody is still looking for a place to live, I'm looking for a roommate. Preferably a female.

I'll be staying at my boyfriend's condo and we have an extra bedroom that we'd like to rent out. He's doing his intern year in Memphis, but he'll do his residency training out of state next year, so he'll only be in Memphis for our D1 year.

The condo is in Midtown. Literally 2 miles (5 mins) from school.

2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. So you'll get your own bathroom (its not connected to the bedroom but is right across the hall).

Rent will be $500 + 1/3 utilities. So it'll probably avg $550/month.

The kitchen, dining area, living room, and the half-bathroom is situated downstairs.

The master bedroom+connected bathroom, the bedroom for rent, bathroom, and washer/dryer area are located upstairs.

We've got hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless steel Bosch appliances, front-loading Bosch washer and dryer.

PM me if you're interested.

FYI. As of yesterday, my D1 buddy said that 51 slots are filled.

thanks jwalk. Does that mean that 51 people have actually put money down? or 51 accepted?

billy, Dr Coleman told me they are interviewing till the end of this month

from my understanding, last review is supposed to be around end of march, but the way things seem to have gone im guessing it will be more like first week of april...

I think the last interview date might be this friday. Dr. Coleman is having the UT dental externship next friday for prospective students, so I can't imagine him having that and an interview day. So I think this friday is it. Our enrollment fee was due earlier this month, so probably 51 people have accepted their spots at UT.

Thanks, qk1984! That still leaves 1/3 of the class open... Plenty of room for a little optimism! (and a little me)

If anybody is still looking for a place to live, I'm looking for a roommate. Preferably a female.

I'll be staying at my boyfriend's condo and we have an extra bedroom that we'd like to rent out. He's doing his intern year in Memphis, but he'll do his residency training out of state next year, so he'll only be in Memphis for our D1 year.

The condo is in Midtown. Literally 2 miles (5 mins) from school.

2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. So you'll get your own bathroom (its not connected to the bedroom but is right across the hall).

Rent will be $500 + 1/3 utilities. So it'll probably avg $550/month.

The kitchen, dining area, living room, and the half-bathroom is situated downstairs.

The master bedroom+connected bathroom, the bedroom for rent, bathroom, and washer/dryer area are located upstairs.

We've got hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless steel Bosch appliances, front-loading Bosch washer and dryer.

PM me if you're interested.

^^By the way, this is a very good deal! Many kids I interviewed with were really afraid of living in Memphis (Midtown in particular) but I have never had any problems in my almost-three years of living here. You don't need to rent a place in Harbortown/Mud Island (or live in the suburbs) to have a good experience going to school here. There are a lot of quaint apartments around Midtown. Some areas are pretty sketchy, and you might want to ask someone who lives here before you commit to living in a particular area, but it's not like there's a monster, lurking around every corner (just every other one ;)... only kidding!). Obviously, buildings with controlled access are the safest. I lived in Kimbrough Towers (an awesome 1930's Art-Deco building) for two years and I never had any issues. Another place called The Venue (formerly University Towers) is newly remodeled in 1960's modern style and even has a swimming pool, apparently. The Venue is close to a bad part of town, but it's also a few blocks away from million-dollar mansions. Stick to the 38104 zip code if you can, but ask around! A lot of people really love living in Midtown, and I am one of them.

Yea, most people I've come across live on Mud Island. But I think living in Midtown is just a lot more convenient.

UTHSC has an off-campus housing site http://www.utmemoffcampus.com/index.php?university_id=66

You have to sign up for a user name/password before they let you search though. The medical school has been telling students about it but I'm not sure if the dental school is so just a heads up. I put a listing up in the message boards if you wanna check out the details of the condo.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all those who haven't gotten in yet...let's keep our fingers crossed this week! When does everyone plan on calling to find out if they're in/not in?

I was just thinking about this thread this morning. After last review, they told me they would be meeting around the end of March. Which should be now if they are on schedule. Has anyone called recently to see when they are going to meet? Also, if anyone calls, make sure to ask if this is the final review or if there will be another because I have heard mixed answers to that

Good luck and God bless to all of us still waiting, hoping, and praying

Hey guys,

I called this afternoon and they said the next meeting is April 9. I didn't read you post before I called needa20 so I didn't ask if it was the last meeting. It seems that if there are 19 spots left, and they accept 19 people, and a few turn their spots down then they would have to meet again to fill those spots.

Oh well, I got two job interviews in Nashville tomorrow so I hope I can at least find a job when I graduate if I have to hold off a year for dental school. What are yalls backup plans? more school or work?

Hey guys,

I called this afternoon and they said the next meeting is April 9. I didn't read you post before I called needa20 so I didn't ask if it was the last meeting. It seems that if there are 19 spots left, and they accept 19 people, and a few turn their spots down then they would have to meet again to fill those spots.

Oh well, I got two job interviews in Nashville tomorrow so I hope I can at least find a job when I graduate if I have to hold off a year for dental school. What are yalls backup plans? more school or work?
thanks for the update :)

I think there are at least 29 seats still open. the poster above said 51 full and 80 total leaves 29.

April 9, seems like this year they have been behind.

Thanks for calling and good luck on the interviews tomorrow !!!

haha 80-51=29 Hmmm no wonder i got a 17 on the Quantitative Reasoning section of the DAT

I just registered for summer and fall classes, so that's my backup plan... More work and school! This way, I will have another 4-5 three-credit classes to pull up my science GPA by the end of the fall semester. It would be so awesome if I ended up being able to drop these classes later this week!! So awesome, and so unlikely! :)

just to update. I called Dr Coleman at the end of last week. He said Ad Com is supposed to meet either Tuesday or Thursday (i cant remember) but the dean of the school will not be around untill april 13th to approve the list. so even though they meet this week, we can not find out till the 13th or after....

just seems like the way this cycle is going for me, wait, wait and wait some more....

wanted to give you guys an update...

I forgot to add, he said that this will be the last review. So i guess they will just prioritize eveyone and accept based on the priority. so im assuming that if they accept 29 people for the open spots, and only like 15 or 20 accept offer, then they just go down the list and accept the next until they are out of spots and everyone has deposited...Anyway, thats how im guessing it will go, what do you think?

Last edited:
just to update. I called Dr Coleman at the end of last week. He said Ad Com is supposed to meet either Tuesday or Thursday (i cant remember) but the dean of the school will not be around untill april 13th to approve the list. so even though they meet this week, we can not find out till the 13th or after....

just seems like the way this cycle is going for me, wait, wait and wait some more....

wanted to give you guys an update...

I forgot to add, he said that this will be the last review. So i guess they will just prioritize eveyone and accept based on the priority. so im assuming that if they accept 29 people for the open spots, and only like 15 or 20 accept offer, then they just go down the list and accept the next until they are out of spots and everyone has deposited...Anyway, thats how im guessing it will go, what do you think?

Wow, thanks for letting us know and for adding that update...! It would be wonderful if people who had already been accepted elsewhere (and UT wasn't their first choice) would withdraw their applications from consideration...

thanks for the update :)

I think there are at least 29 seats still open. the poster above said 51 full and 80 total leaves 29.

April 9, seems like this year they have been behind.

Thanks for calling and good luck on the interviews tomorrow !!!
they're always behind. nothing changes :laugh:

just got some inside info from a classmate.

The last meeting is tomorrow (april 9th), the letters will be sent out the following wednesday, and i believe he said that you will be able to call and find out on that thursday.

Good luck!

just got some inside info from a classmate.

The last meeting is tomorrow (april 9th), the letters will be sent out the following wednesday, and i believe he said that you will be able to call and find out on that thursday.

Good luck!

Thanks, lotexigeus! Do you happen to know if that batch of letters will include rejection and waitlist letters, too?

Thanks, lotexigeus! Do you happen to know if that batch of letters will include rejection and waitlist letters, too?

I really don't know the answer to that. I would just stay on them with the phones. It doesn't hurt to call, and things run pretty slow around here.

I called today. The secretary said the adcom did meet today, but the list would not be finalized until Tuesday morning when the dean gets back. So, call Tuesday around lunch to find out if you got in.

I called today. The secretary said the adcom did meet today, but the list would not be finalized until Tuesday morning when the dean gets back. So, call Tuesday around lunch to find out if you got in.
thanks for the update. Ill just pray and wait for tuesday :)

trying to stay positive

So, Im a little stressed out about the results for tomorrow...

I guess we will find out if accept, reject, waitlist?

Im praying and will do the same for all of us just waiting

So, Im a little stressed out about the results for tomorrow...

I guess we will find out if accept, reject, waitlist?

Im praying and will do the same for all of us just waiting

I appreciate the prayer. :) Thanks for bumping the thread, too. It is pretty scary, knowing the decisions have already been made... I don't know if they will release the names of the waitlisted and rejected students this week -- maybe that will happen after they have heard back from all students accepted this round? Ideally, not everyone chosen will accept their spot. Needa20, have you thought about what you are going to do if you get into BOTH Loma Linda and U of T?

I appreciate the prayer. :) Thanks for bumping the thread, too. It is pretty scary, knowing the decisions have already been made... I don't know if they will release the names of the waitlisted and rejected students this week -- maybe that will happen after they have heard back from all students accepted this round? Ideally, not everyone chosen will accept their spot. Needa20, have you thought about what you are going to do if you get into BOTH Loma Linda and U of T?
I am guessing that they will tell you if you are accepted, rejected, waitlisted. As you said, not every one of the accepted 29 will accept the offer, so Im assuming they will have a waitlist to go off of. Thats my guess at least.

As far as getting into LLU and UT, that is a problem that I have been praying to have for a while now :)

I have been thinking about it for about 6 months now. To be honost, I really do not know which I would choose. I would just pray that I can make the right decision. Maybe God will help me choose by only letting me in one of the schools...? (hopefully at least one :)

I just really do not want to get rejected from UT tomorrow and then just be waiting for LLU to accept me off of the waitlist...

I hope you get in tomorrow and get to drop the classes you registered for. I really hope all of us are classmates come this fall

:confused::confused::eek::rolleyes:so has anyone heard anything yet?

hmm, which one of us is going to be the first to call....

I was about to too, then I just saw your post

did they say he has the list ready, but on the phone?

I just called. Didn't get in again. Good luck to all of you still waiting!

List is ready.

I called, but I did not get in. Dr Coleman said there were only 11 seats open. not the 29 we were all counting on...
He said they could only choose 11 people out of the 60 reviewed...

He said the reason I did not get in is because my Science GPA is 3.2. That is the only reason, he said my 19/18 DAT is fine. its just the 3.2 sgpa that kept me out. That is the only thing they looked at. He said he really did does not care about my MBA.

I am very disappointed and mainly due to the fact that the science gpa is the the ONLY thing they accepted students on.... What was the point of granting me an interview if they were only going to accept students with 3.5 sgpa or higher?
on predents the average sgpa was only 3.36...not much higher than mine.

Im over UT and the way they conduct their admissions process.

good luck and God bless to the rest of you. I guess im holding out for LLU now

Billy, to answer your question from before, maybe God wants me at LLU so he made the decision easy for me by me not getting into UT. I hope and pray at least

:idea::eek::D:scared:hey guys!! i amm sooo sorry about the rejections!! was it a flat out rejection or "we'll see" thing like they gave me.. of couse as soon as i get on the phone with him,.. my boss walks in my office... dang.. so i could't drill him like i wanted and had to maintain my composure.

well.. he just told me that i've been accepted if someone drops out!!! cuz my DAT sucked so if a spot comes open,, he said... then i'm in!! sooo.. i don't know.. im kinda thinking the same thing.. it was either here or howard.. and ive already put my money down on howard but TN is my state school soo i was crossing my fingers. maybe GOD is trying to tell me the same thing i prayed for his guidance but this "foot half way in the door" thing still sucks!!
-SO IF YOU GOT ACCEPTED THIS POOL,, AND DON'T WANT IN.. PLEASE NOTIFY ASAP!!!!!, THERE IS ALOT OF US WHO WOULD LOVE TO GO TO UT!!!
THANKS
best luck and wishes to all of you!:love:

:mad::(:confused::eek:WOW!! so there are only 11 seats offered this LAST round of acceptances!!?!?!,.. has anyone else heard or learned moore about this waitlist, if someone rejects theirs then you've been accepted!? how do they choose who gets those last seats from the waitlist!?
is there a list?
or is it like, we have to compete all over again for that last seat!?
this sucks! i called again.. but he has someone in his office!!
please keep us informed and best of luck!:love:

:mad::(:confused::eek:WOW!! so there are only 11 seats offered this LAST round of acceptances!!?!?!,.. has anyone else heard or learned moore about this waitlist, if someone rejects theirs then you've been accepted!? how do they choose who gets those last seats from the waitlist!?
is there a list?
or is it like, we have to compete all over again for that last seat!?
this sucks! i called again.. but he has someone in his office!!
please keep us informed and best of luck!:love:

List is ready.

I called, but I did not get in. Dr Coleman said there were only 11 seats open. not the 29 we were all counting on...
He said they could only choose 11 people out of the 60 reviewed...

He said the reason I did not get in is because my Science GPA is 3.2. That is the only reason, he said my 19/18 DAT is fine. its just the 3.2 sgpa that kept me out. That is the only thing they looked at. He said he really did does not care about my MBA.

I am very disappointed and mainly due to the fact that the science gpa is the the ONLY thing they accepted students on.... What was the point of granting me an interview if they were only going to accept students with 3.5 sgpa or higher?
on predents the average sgpa was only 3.36...not much higher than mine.

Im over UT and the way they conduct their admissions process.

good luck and God bless to the rest of you. I guess im holding out for LLU now

Billy, to answer your question from before, maybe God wants me at LLU so he made the decision easy for me by me not getting into UT. I hope and pray at least

I'm sorry that UT didn't work out for you. Hopefully LLU will give you some good news. It seems that UT really does weigh sGPA quite heavily. If you look on predents and look at the avg sGPA of those accepted this year, it's 3.62. I'm not sure how representative the predents stats are of ALL who were accepted this year, but those who posted on predents to be accepted have at least a 3.4 sGPA. And those with the lower sGPA's seem to have kept up their GPA toward the end of their undergrad, so I'm sure if Dr. Coleman says that sGPA is what they look at...there's some truth to it.

If UT is where you want to go to dental school....you can always do a 1-yr post-bac to boost your sGPA. An upward trend is a positive thing to the adcoms at UT. So don't give up hope!!

Last edited:
I did not get in either... Sucks for those of use who only applied to U of T! :( Congrats to anyone who made it! I am sorry that we won't be classmates.

Jwalke34, you were a reapplicant... I heard that, in the past, they almost always accepted reapplicants. How did he advise you to improve your application for a third try? He told me that I need to raise my GPA in the core science classes.

Did anyone leave their name and number so Dr. Coleman would call you back? I left mine almost 2 hours ago and still no call back. I know he is a busy man but now it's really tough waiting.

Abrown: i asked about the waitlist. I am not on it, just rejected. there is a waitlist already made up. so if someone drops out, they accept from the waitlist

im not on it, so dont care too much now

-I was also dissappointed when I asked him how to improve my application. he would not say much. just sait gpa was too low. I said ok, so should I retake sciences to get better grades or take more upper division sciences to raise gpa? he would not tell me....

--Even though he decided not to attend UT, I find it interesting that someone predents was accepted with a sgpa of 3.05 the round in february....if my 3.2 was too low, how was his 3.05 good enough. oh well, im not going to sulk. just pray i get into LLU

Last edited:
Abrown: i asked about the waitlist. I am not on it, just rejected. there is a waitlist already made up. so if someone drops out, they accept from the waitlist

im not on it, so dont care too much now

-I was also dissappointed when I asked him how to improve my application. he would not say much. just sait gpa was too low. I said ok, so should I retake sciences to get better grades or take more upper division sciences to raise gpa? he would not tell me....

Needa20, I'm sorry to hear that he wasn't very helpful... Maybe if you call back in a week or two, when it's less busy, he will give you better feedback. From what I've heard, he will usually not specifically tell you to retake a class or not -- that has to be your own call. But if you have any C's in your core classes, you might want to consider it. Look at what your transcript says about you: mine screams, "She sucks at Chemistry!" So I need to prove myself in that area.

I am going to do a mixture of retaking core classes and taking upper-level bio classes. I think I am going to have to do a rummage sale in May to pay for my summer tuition!!

I understand that I fell below the cut-off, but I really don't get the rationale for other people's rejections... When the class average is higher than it's ever been, doesn't that mean that they have the freedom to accept a few people with potential who do fall slightly short (but close!), while still maintaining the awesome stats for the class of 2013?

Yea, I'm not entirely sure how they're choosing people, but rollredroll did state that his 4-yr sGPA is low, but toward his junior and senior year he maintained a 3.5....so the upward trend helped him out. It shows that he is able to handle the course load. If your sGPA has the same upward trend but the committee still didn't accept, then I would be wanting some explanations.