Official: UTSW Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndi_amaka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does it feel to be an MS0??? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in UTSW!!!! What a relief!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ndi_amaka
bump!!!

I am with you! Is the MS0 on a Friday or Saturday? I don't have the info about it yet.

Originally posted by Giving My .02
I am with you! Is the MS0 on a Friday or Saturday? I don't have the info about it yet.

My mom read it to me over the phone so my memory is fuzzy but I think it's ona 27th and 28th.

Count me in, anyone going to MS0 Day? I'll have to miss Biochem and 2 other classes.... but I just can't seem to focus anymore....too excited.

Baylor dudes... have you decided between UTSW and Baylor yet since it is after the match.

Originally posted by Texas1111
Count me in, anyone going to MS0 Day? I'll have to miss Biochem and 2 other classes.... but I just can't seem to focus anymore....too excited.

I want to go, but might will have a conflict Saturday, so I could go on Friday, that is why I was wondering more about it.

i got in too!!! But i haven't gotten the letter yet, so could someone tell me about the "MS0" weekend? when is it?

thanks!!!! YAY us!

My older brother is at Southwestern, and he told me that it is their orientation. You get to meet all the other students in your class as well as other fun orientation events. I can't wait to see all of your faces...meet the people behind the messages.

oh, i think there's a "second-look" weekend for people who got accepted though. When I applied to Baylor, my student host mentioned that she attended southwestern's second-look thing in the spring.

if any of yall find out about it, let me know. :) possibly it's just for URM's?

Hey y'all!

It's looking pretty likely that I'll be going to UTSW in the fall! Hooray! I'm so excited, I can't wait! (although I'm sure once it's started, I'll look back at this post with regret :) )

Wooooooooooohhooooooooooooooooo!

Any idea when, exactly, the "second look" weekend or MS0 day is? What month, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello classmates. :)

i am happy.

Hey guys, I just wanted to say congradulations to everyone.......UTSW is an awsome school...Even though I am not a classmate (I ranked at my number 1-UTMB) I can't help but be excited for all you brilliant people. Best of wishes MSO's !!

:clap: :clap:

Any idea when, exactly, the "second look" weekend or MS0 day is? What month, etc.?

Soonerpillow,

MSO weekend will be on Feb 27 & 28.
There's going to be food, information about medical education, curriculum, financial aid info, and a schoolwide party in honor of the entering class (that's US!)
I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, there's also information for your significant others on how to cope with the adjustments and stuff. You can bring the Mrs.

Soonerpillow,

There's going to be food, information about medical education, curriculum, financial aid info, and a schoolwide party in honor of the entering class (that's US!)

Oh, there's also information for your significant others on how to cope with the adjustments and stuff. You can bring the Mrs.

thanks for the info! how many of you are planning on going? i think i will...

Soonerpillow,

Just wanted to say hello to my future classmates!

Baylor dudes... have you decided between UTSW and Baylor yet since it is after the match.

I was wondering about those handful of people, and if they had decided yet. Maybe it is too soon to ask, and that is why they are not answering. I was just wondering if they were going to be in our class. I know forsure that I am off to UTSW, and I can't wait to meet everyone. Does anyone know how many people matched into UTSW. I know sometimes they take up to 220-230 people. Just wondering.

I am so excited! I can't believe we are in medical school! I just filled out the RSVP for MS0 today. I wish there were a way for us to find each other at the orientation. Feel free to IM me through AIM, and maybe we could set something up. My IM name is General Dr.

Congrats everyone!

congratulations to everyone who matched, especially to UTSW :D

To the person who asked about class sizes my class (2007) has around 220. Look forward to meetin' everybody

Originally posted by vivekap2007
congratulations to everyone who matched, especially to UTSW :D

To the person who asked about class sizes my class (2007) has around 220. Look forward to meetin' everybody

Question!!! How have you felt about your 1st semester at UTSW?? What have u enjoyed and what do you dislike??? Any adviceor warnings?

i hear that utsw is one of those academically underrated schools where people really work HARD. am i gonna get metaphorically spanked? (i'm a liberal arts major, oh dear)

Originally posted by sunkists
i hear that utsw is one of those academically underrated schools where people really work HARD. am i gonna get metaphorically spanked? (i'm a liberal arts major, oh dear)
What do you mean by underrated?? I think it is going to be a challenge becase everyone in our class is so smart. But hey, people have gone through the same thing before us and gotten through.

I got my letter in the mail today (in Massachusetts)! Yay! I'm planning on attending the MS0 program and meeting potential future classmates! Maybe I'll see some of you guys there, although we won't realize we're talking to a fellow SDN'er. Maybe we can all write our SDN user names on our name badges for easy recognition... But then random people would meet me and think, "wow, why does that girl have such a big thing against egrets?" :laugh:

underrated like some undergrad schools are underrated - cornell, washu, rice. and they have a high rank but all the kids there have to work really HARD because it's like... tough love. haha i'm scurred.

Originally posted by No Egrets
I got my letter in the mail today (in Massachusetts)! Yay! I'm planning on attending the MS0 program and meeting potential future classmates! Maybe I'll see some of you guys there, although we won't realize we're talking to a fellow SDN'er. Maybe we can all write our SDN user names on our name badges for easy recognition... But then random people would meet me and think, "wow, why does that girl have such a big thing against egrets?" :laugh:

I think we should definitely do something like that so we know who the SDNers are. Although you'll be able to figure me out pretty quick, I assure you. :D

Does any have specific details (time and dates) concerning MSO? Haven't received the info yet.

Does any have specific details (time and dates) concerning MSO? Haven't received the info yet.

It's from about 9:30am Friday Feb. 27 until 3 or 4 Saturday Feb. 28. There are lots of info sessions, meals, parties, tours, etc. I could put up the itinerary, but you'll get the info in the next day or so.

Thanks sooner, do you think it would be okay if I could only go on Friday if I have something important on Saturday?

Thanks sooner, do you think it would be okay if I could only go on Friday if I have something important on Saturday?

Yeah, I think it would be okay. Most of the important stuff happens on Friday.

Friday has: Introduction, Welcome, History of the school, what to do before school starts, what will school be like, additional degree opportunities, other speakers, housing info, and several Information Forums that you can choose from, such as Clinical Opportunites, Research, Curriculum, Spouse & S.O., and what to expect at school. Followed by a party.

Saturday: Why UTSW is the right choice, panel discussion, Financial Aid, Bus tour of Dallas, reception at school apartments.

So more stuff happens on Friday.

Also, when you RSVP, it asks which part you'll be attending, so you can go to whatever you want.

I got my packet today. Then, I signed my acceptance form and mailed it right back out (even added a delivery receipt)! It feels like I got the golden ticket and am off to the chocolate factory! Which sessions did you pref for MS0? I picked Curriculum, Clinical, and Starting Med School. Also, man, think I am going to be way out of my league (which is probably good as it will make me work harder). The people I know who are going to Southwestern all study nonstop. They are cool people...but definitely are gunners...or at least snipers. Guess I'll have to be a sniper to make it....

I believe everyone will benefit if we help each other out. sure beats fierce competitoin, which really isn't fun.

Originally posted by G_Eagle
Which sessions did you pref for MS0? I picked Curriculum, Clinical, and Starting Med School. Also, man, think I am going to be way out of my league (which is probably good as it will make me work harder). The people I know who are going to Southwestern all study nonstop. They are cool people...but definitely are gunners...or at least snipers. Guess I'll have to be a sniper to make it....

I picked those sessions, too.

You now know one person who is going to UTSW who does not study non stop. The only thing I do non stop is play Final Fantasy XI (which I just finished playing for the night at 4am). :D

I believe everyone will benefit if we help each other out. sure beats fierce competitoin, which really isn't fun.

When I was there I remember all the students saying that the whole gunner thing isn't that bad. The class helps one another out by emailing charts and graphs and reminder notes. Also alot of people start their own study groups once test time approaches.

I hear the steretype started with one particular class that was really horrific to one another and just perpetuated the stereotype but administration quickly resolved it.

You guys can take confidence that I am not a cutthroat person either. In fact, I do best when I study in groups, discussing the subject with classmates. I know I'll have to study much more on my own than I did before, but study groups will have there place as before. My friends are quality people too, but I have never seen anyone study as much as they seem to do. By the way, my name is Joe. Hopefully, there won't be many Joe's so you can spot me at MS0. I look forward to meeting each of you.

Originally posted by ndi_amaka
When I was there I remember all the students saying that the whole gunner thing isn't that bad. The class helps one another out by emailing charts and graphs and reminder notes. Also alot of people start their own study groups once test time approaches.

Yeah, the only thing I could get them to talk about was how un-cutthroat they were. So either they really aren't, or they are really defensive. But I really think each class is different, so lets make ours fun, m'kay? That would be greeeeeeaaaat.

So where do you guys think you'll be living (not that I'm stalking you or anything)? I guess we'll find out more at MS0 day, but I want to start house hunting now, cuz I'm so excited. :D

Southwestern here I come...I can't wait for the end of February, let alone the start of school in the fall.

So, our official list so far is (correct if you're undecided or something):

ndi_amaka
G_Eagle
Giving My .02
Texas1111
No Egrets
soonerpillow
sunkists
NitoVerde
Bad Mojo

is that right?

I'm living at home because I'm close to campus, and my parents said they wouldn't charge me any rent. Besides, I expect to spend most of my time up at the school anyway. And yeah, we'll have a hard-working, fun-loving class! I think if we find a good niche and work to avoid division, then we could have a very tight-knit group. That's certainly what I'll be trying for!

Count me in all the way. I will be there at UTSW on August 17! Ya'll are all so nice over the board, I am not worried if there are a few gunners at all, there will be some everywhere, that is how life is.

Originally posted by soonerpillow
So, our official list so far is (correct if you're undecided or something):

ndi_amaka
G_Eagle
Giving My .02
Texas1111
No Egrets
soonerpillow
sunkists
NitoVerde
Bad Mojo

is that right?

Correction: I am undecided (but definitely attending MS0 weekend!)... I have no other offers yet, but I'm waiting to hear post-interview from Baylor and Wash U.

PM me if you want to chat! I'm from Dallas! But I would never in a billion years live at home once school starts.

With ten years in dallas, here is my key advice:

Dont live in Irving.
Cedar springs and 'uptown' are great areas and close to the school.
Eat at Sushi on McKinney, regularly.
Ditto for Mai's (vietnamese)
Despite the stigma, eat cheese fries at snuffers once.
Drink at the Expo bar.

With ten years in dallas, here is my key advice:

Dont live in Irving.
Cedar springs and 'uptown' are great areas and close to the school.
Eat at Sushi on McKinney, regularly.
Ditto for Mai's (vietnamese)
Despite the stigma, eat cheese fries at snuffers once.
Drink at the Expo bar.

And congrats!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Was there a UTSW class of 20 or earlier thread ever posted. I want to see their input and answers to their questions.

I made my official withdrawal from Baylor today, meaning I am locked into Southwestern. So I started a new count down...to MS0 day! No nerves about this one, all excitement!

Yeah, the only thing I could get them to talk about was how un-cutthroat they were. So either they really aren't, or they are really defensive. But I really think each class is different, so lets make ours fun, m'kay? That would be greeeeeeaaaat.

I'm liking this class of 2004 already....

Ecoing what Soonerpillow said, it's up to the classes to make whatever environment they want, whether it be cutthroat or one with cooperation and commaraderie. Since we'll be together for 4 years (maybe more), we might as well make the best of it. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

For my future classmates who are living in the Dallas area, are you going to Cafe Express next Tuesday?