Official: UTSW Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ndi_amaka said:
Do you guys want to get together before Aug. 14??

Yes! Let's meet somewhere cool for dinner or something. But not somewhere so loud that we can't talk.

And I plan to go to the waterpark. So, bring your sunglasses, cuz I'm bright! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I heard there is no attendance required in anatomy, although if you skip too many you might get on your partners' bad sides.

I'm all for getting together. Why don't we meet for a meal somewhere? Even if attendance isn't required for anatomy, I am definitely going to it. Every one I have spoken with says the best way to study is to actually find the parts on your cadaver and then see if you can find them on someone else's. I'm going to have to discipline myself to stick around and do that each day until I am confident I have the anatomy memorized. It starts slowly and then gets really long so I want to practice good habits from the beginning. I find that I need to go to class to keep myself in the studying mindset. I actually have gotten involved in a research position for this fall that will take up about five hours a week. It is fairly flexible, and I feel it will provide money and help me to meet people (aside from the research benefits). If I am skipping class, it will probably be to get that work done for the day. Oh yeah, critical thinking is a brand new class. I talked to an MSII, and he said they didn't have it last year. He did remark that if there are no tests, then nobody will show up. He said that bioethics isn't very well attended.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions on where to meet or what to do?

I PMed you guys about meeting this upcoming week. So my registration packet came in the mail today. Good times sorting through the paperwork... Finally, we have to pay something (makes me feel like I'm actually enrolled now).

G_Eagle said:
I PMed you guys about meeting this upcoming week. So my registration packet came in the mail today. Good times sorting through the paperwork... Finally, we have to pay something (makes me feel like I'm actually enrolled now).

What does the registration packet entail?

P.S. Are we suppose to get our $$$ by August 13th? Someone on the board said this, but no one else replied about it. (At least that is what I rembember, I could go searchind for it, but I have been packing and I am truly exhausted by this heat)

Giving my .02, I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through...

I believe we do get it by the 13th... The packet has the following: Statement of Account, Student Class Schedule (which is a list of courses we take this entire academic year), Installment Loan Tuition Promissory Note, Mandatory Health Insurance Coverage Information Form, FERPA Privacy Notice Form, Personal Data Sheet, and Holy Days Form (request to have day off for religious reasons).

Cybersushi said:
"There are other furniture stores - Haverty's, RoomStore, etc though, personally I wouldn't spend money there since the CBA doesn't pan out"

What's a CBA? BTW, Any other Californians goin to UTSW here? :D

CBA = Cost Benefit Analysis, i.e. it's not worth buying furniture from those stores while you're a student, IMHO.

Good Luck y'all!
-Y_Marker

G_Eagle said:
Giving my .02, I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through...

I believe we do get it by the 13th... The packet has the following: Statement of Account, Student Class Schedule (which is a list of courses we take this entire academic year), Installment Loan Tuition Promissory Note, Mandatory Health Insurance Coverage Information Form, FERPA Privacy Notice Form, Personal Data Sheet, and Holy Days Form (request to have day off for religious reasons).

Thanks for the info! See ya'll at orientation on 14th. I am moving up there on Tuesday, but I have so much to unpack. I can't wait to get situated before the school starts.

I meant that I had wanted to PM you about getting together...It would be a good break from packing, right?

Here's the plan, we are meeting at Fuddruckers on Greenville. Coming from the north, exit 75 (central expressway) at the Lovers Lane exit and turn left, the next major street is Greenville so turn left again. It will be coming up on your right shortly. Coming from the south, do the same except turn right at the Lovers Lane exit (then turn left on Greenville). Any questions, just ask. We will meet at 12:30pm. All are welcome.

I chose Fuddruckers because it is good, and a restaurant with a waiter will not make it easy for people to come and go as they please. Say something if you'll be there so we'll know how many are coming.

G_Eagle said:
Here's the plan, we are meeting at Fuddruckers on Greenville. Coming from the north, exit 75 (central expressway) at the Lovers Lane exit and turn left, the next major street is Greenville so turn left again. It will be coming up on your right shortly. Coming from the south, do the same except turn right at the Lovers Lane exit (then turn left on Greenville). Any questions, just ask. We will meet at 12:30pm. All are welcome.

I chose Fuddruckers because it is good, and a restaurant with a waiter will not make it easy for people to come and go as they please. Say something if you'll be there so we'll know how many are coming.

Is this today or Tuesday?

Good call....(sound of palm of hand smacking forehead). Tuesday!!!! (thanks for pointing that out)

Members don't see this ad :)
G_Eagle said:

I will be there. :D Thanks so much for organizing this. :thumbup:

I'll be there. I got on the central expressway today... i gotta say, its my fav. dallas highway so far... nice and neat.

Central was redone in the late 90's, and I drive on it all the time. It does get pretty cramped around 635 and near downtown during rush hour (it's nothing compared to Houston traffic).

i still haven't received my registration package.... is there any time-sensitive material included?

The tuition that is due. You might want to call the registrars office tomorrow to find out what's up. Have you gone by to visit Soonerpillow? How close is he?

NitoVerde said:
i still haven't received my registration package.... is there any time-sensitive material included?

No packet here, either. :rolleyes:

Any word on that syllabus yet? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (after lunch on Tuesday, we went by the school (for lack of any other ideas), got my ID badge and played some foosball. Then someone had the idea to go to the bookstore and see if the syllabus was in. We all laughed about how nerdy we were, but still went to look. Unfortunately, they weren't in yet.)

How are you guys spending your last weekend before medical school?

What do you all want to do? You know I'm game if I'm available...

i finally received mine today. it apparently took a trip to my old address first. (even though i had updated my address online when J. Scott Wright sent that email out)

I did the same thing you did, but I think they took a day or so to update the address, which was after it was mailed. I will see if it comes in this weekend. Anything urgent?

The only thing "urgent" I remember is tuition, which is due in just over a week.

G_Eagle said:
The only thing "urgent" I remember is tuition, which is due in just over a week.

Thanks for the info. I am so tired from moving, I am off to bed.

Still moving? I thought you were done... Tomorrow is the big day for my moving in my girlfriend. Her family arrives with the U-Haul. Oh yeah, we went to look at her dental school books today....definitely over 400 dollars (and that wasn't all of them). Glad we don't "have" to buy books. And, a few of their books are identical to the material we use. It is nice to have someone who knows what I am going through and with whom I can discuss medical issues.

G_Eagle said:
Still moving? I thought you were done... Tomorrow is the big day for my moving in my girlfriend. Her family arrives with the U-Haul. Oh yeah, we went to look at her dental school books today....definitely over 400 dollars (and that wasn't all of them). Glad we don't "have" to buy books. And, a few of their books are identical to the material we use. It is nice to have someone who knows what I am going through and with whom I can discuss medical issues.

I am actually moved in, but my storage is awful. My closets are great, but I have little storage in the kitchen, and other places; so I have made three trips to Home Depot/Lowe's getting stuff to add shelves for extra space. So little by little we are getting stuff organized, but my back is aching.

Can anyone recommend fun things to do/see/eat in Dallas? Just finished moving in and I'm stuck with myself until school starts =/. Also, are there any particularly shady areas of the city to stay away from (i.e N Haskell area. man was that nasty)

Cybersushi said:
Can anyone recommend fun things to do/see/eat in Dallas? Just finished moving in and I'm stuck with myself until school starts =/. Also, are there any particularly shady areas of the city to stay away from (i.e N Haskell area. man was that nasty)

Ft. Worth has the cultural district and the stockyards. There are a lot of great shopping malls, if you are interested. Not from Dallas, but West Texas, so a lot of people always traveled here for shopping or maybe to go to Six Flags. Don't know about the night life, or where you need to avoid. G_Eagle will though, or maybe some other people who have lived in the metroplex. I would search the internet for something specfic.

Bump! Where are you guys? Getting nervous? It looks like the first wave of UTSW invites went out.

Just trying to enjoy my last moments. :)

people keep asking me: "Are you ready for med school?"

How exactly does one prepare for such a thing other than getting large doses of sleep?

Yay! I finally got my registration packet today! :clap:

Yeah, I'm just trying to enjoy my last few days of freedom. Less than a week left!

Don't worry too much. They start you off really easy. I remember the first month of med school telling people, "I have so much free time. I go out way more than I did in undergrad." Don't get too used to that, it will change. But it is nice to know that things start out slow and gradually pick up throughout the year.

Does it matter if you interview late at UTSW? I am thinking to change my interview date to January, but don't want to hurt my chance. Thanks for any reply. :)

Highspirits said:
Does it matter if you interview late at UTSW? I am thinking to change my interview date to January, but don't want to hurt my chance. Thanks for any reply. :)

I don't think it matters b/c they have non-rolling admissions.

I am currently in the process of applying to med school and was wondering if any MSI's would be willing to take a friend and me to class one day in January during our winter break. We wanted to get a better feel for UTSW before we have to rank our schools. It would help if whomever was showing us around is really enthusiastic about UTSW, as I haven't met many people who really really like Southwestern. I think Monday, January 9th would work best for us, as we will be in Dallas the weekend before, but we are flexible w/ dates. Also, you would not have to worry about hosting us...we have made other arrangements.

Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks!