Officially waitlisted at 9 schools…Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovept2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard back from all the programs I applied to and I am on 9 waitlists. I'm struggling to stay hopeful at this point..I guess I'm just looking for any advice on whether I should be persistent with reaching out to schools to consistently check my waitlist status (but I don't want to become annoying) or should I start now with planning on how to improve my application and apply all over again next cycle, or wait it out a bit longer? This is already my second time applying, I had already retaken the GRE and a pre req class to boost my scores/GPA so I'm feeling kind of lost now. My current stats are: Overall GPA: 3.33 (low because of my undergrad GPA), Pre-Req GPA: 3.52, GRE: V155/Q150/AW4.5, and I have been working as a PT aide for the past 2 years. If I really need to I’d be willing to boost my numbers, it’s just really tedious to have to go through the entire process again. Is anyone else in a similar position or willing to offer any suggestions? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seeing as how you're wait listed to 9 schools, there's a chance that you might be accepted this cycle. However you can never be too sure so I recommend that you start planning on making improvements to your application.

You said you took retook a (one) prereq. I recommend that you take any prereq class that you have less than a B in to boost your competitiveness. It's never a bad idea to raise your prereq GPA because you're also raising your cGPA (even if it's by a tiny margin.)

Go ahead and start planning for next cycle. It's better for you to be prepared rather than scrambling at the last minute to make yourself more competitive. You can reach out to the schools and ask them if there is a realistic chance you could get pulled off the waitlist. Also ask them about what areas of your application need to be strengthened. Schools want to know that you made an effort to improve your application. It's likely that just retaking your GRE and one prereq didn't impress them enough. There's a lot of room for improvement in your prereq GPA, so you should definitely retake some of those classes. If your job is the only place you've gotten experience, I recommend you branch out and observe in other settings. 1000 hours in one clinic isn't as good as 250 split between 4 other settings. When I applied for school, I was placed on 2 waitlists. I started preparing for the next application cycle when I was pulled off of both waitlists at the end of the summer. With you being on the waitlist for 9 schools, odds are in your favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare for the worst while hoping for the best

If you start preparing but get in, who cares you got in

If you don't prepare and don't get in, you won't have a lot of time to strengthen your app and could be in the same position again a year from now

Don't count yourself out just yet - you've got a solid chance if you're on 9 waitlists. If you end up not getting accepted and have to reapply next cycle, I recommend doing a couple things. First, like what others have said above, retake the necessary classes to boost your GPA and also re-take the GRE if you believe you can better your score. Aside from that, I think it would be more beneficial to spend some time and really work on crafting your story.

Do you have any other EC's besides working as a PT aide? Please don't take offense to this but student profiles like yours (semi-low GPA, average GRE, and worked 2 years as a PT aide) are a dime a dozen. You have spent 2 years working in a PT clinic - that's great...but so has everybody else applying to PT school - that's a very typical path to PT. There's nothing inherently bad about your stats/profile but I think your problem might be that you aren't standing out to admissions committees. Without unique/outstanding EC's your admissions file is easily forgettable and you're getting passed over for students that have similar and unique EC's. Retaking the GRE and replacing a C+ with an A- are good things and show your dedication, but they don't help your story. What are you bringing to the table? Why should those PT programs choose you from all the other applicants with similar or better applications? What unique experiences and perspectives are you bringing with you that will enrich the class and program? What are you passionate about? What gets you out of bed in the morning? You need to think about these things and leverage them so you can stand out to the admissions committee. Make them remember you.

Depending on the school the admissions committee will be looking at anywhere from several hundred to over a thousand applications. Average GPA, GRE, and 2 years as a PT aide will get lost quickly if you don't have a great story to tell. Make them remember you.

If an admissions committee asked you, "Why do you want to be a PT?" and your answer is something like: "I've really enjoyed working in a PT clinic and want to help people" or "I got injured in high school and had a great PT and that's what made me decide I want to become one" you need to try again. While those are good and valid reasons for wanting to become a PT - they will get you nowhere in a large applicant pool. Make them remember you.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your EC's besides working as a PT aide?

Best of luck.

As everyone has said, don't count yourself out! I have received 2 acceptances, and one of them came from a waitlist spot (I was only on the waitlist for about a week). With that many waitlist positions, I'd be shocked if you don't get in somewhere, however you need to be prepared to make an immediate decision. A friend of mine found out on a Thursday/Friday he had to move to Kentucky from PA to start classes Monday. Many schools have made it clear they will pull from their waitlist up until (and even during) the first week of class.

I also still haven't heard from 4 schools I applied to at this point, so chances are some others who have put down deposits are just holding spots until they get "better" offers. Movement is bound to happen somewhere.

Seeing as how you're wait listed to 9 schools, there's a chance that you might be accepted this cycle. However you can never be too sure so I recommend that you start planning on making improvements to your application.

You said you took retook a (one) prereq. I recommend that you take any prereq class that you have less than a B in to boost your competitiveness. It's never a bad idea to raise your prereq GPA because you're also raising your cGPA (even if it's by a tiny margin.)

Go ahead and start planning for next cycle. It's better for you to be prepared rather than scrambling at the last minute to make yourself more competitive. You can reach out to the schools and ask them if there is a realistic chance you could get pulled off the waitlist. Also ask them about what areas of your application need to be strengthened. Schools want to know that you made an effort to improve your application. It's likely that just retaking your GRE and one prereq didn't impress them enough. There's a lot of room for improvement in your prereq GPA, so you should definitely retake some of those classes. If your job is the only place you've gotten experience, I recommend you branch out and observe in other settings. 1000 hours in one clinic isn't as good as 250 split between 4 other settings. When I applied for school, I was placed on 2 waitlists. I started preparing for the next application cycle when I was pulled off of both waitlists at the end of the summer. With you being on the waitlist for 9 schools, odds are in your favor.

Thank you guys for your input!! I re-took chemistry 2 because it was my lowest grade a C and I improved it to an A. All my other pre req grades are As or Bs but it definitely couldn't hurt to bring up some of those Bs. I probably will reach out to some schools this week to check my status and see where they'd recommend improvements if I have to apply again next year.

Don't count yourself out just yet - you've got a solid chance if you're on 9 waitlists. If you end up not getting accepted and have to reapply next cycle, I recommend doing a couple things. First, like what others have said above, retake the necessary classes to boost your GPA and also re-take the GRE if you believe you can better your score. Aside from that, I think it would be more beneficial to spend some time and really work on crafting your story.

Do you have any other EC's besides working as a PT aide? Please don't take offense to this but student profiles like yours (semi-low GPA, average GRE, and worked 2 years as a PT aide) are a dime a dozen. You have spent 2 years working in a PT clinic - that's great...but so has everybody else applying to PT school - that's a very typical path to PT. There's nothing inherently bad about your stats/profile but I think your problem might be that you aren't standing out to admissions committees. Without unique/outstanding EC's your admissions file is easily forgettable and you're getting passed over for students that have similar and unique EC's. Retaking the GRE and replacing a C+ with an A- are good things and show your dedication, but they don't help your story. What are you bringing to the table? Why should those PT programs choose you from all the other applicants with similar or better applications? What unique experiences and perspectives are you bringing with you that will enrich the class and program? What are you passionate about? What gets you out of bed in the morning? You need to think about these things and leverage them so you can stand out to the admissions committee. Make them remember you.

Depending on the school the admissions committee will be looking at anywhere from several hundred to over a thousand applications. Average GPA, GRE, and 2 years as a PT aide will get lost quickly if you don't have a great story to tell. Make them remember you.

If an admissions committee asked you, "Why do you want to be a PT?" and your answer is something like: "I've really enjoyed working in a PT clinic and want to help people" or "I got injured in high school and had a great PT and that's what made me decide I want to become one" you need to try again. While those are good and valid reasons for wanting to become a PT - they will get you nowhere in a large applicant pool. Make them remember you.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your EC's besides working as a PT aide?

Best of luck.

Thanks for your honest reply, I really appreciate it! That makes complete sense though to try and find a way to stand out amongst thousands of applicants. & yes I have some other EC's besides working as an aide. I did my undergrad at UCLA and interned at the school's hospital in the orthopedic department for 3 months. I was also a tutor, health club board member at UCLA, sorority member, I volunteered in a research lab at the UCLA spine center working under a neurosurgeon, I have a NASM certificate, and I've worked at a gym. I didn't really share too many of these details during my interviews because I assumed they already looked over my application but I guess if I have to reapply I will try to emphasize my EC's more to make them remember me.

As everyone has said, don't count yourself out! I have received 2 acceptances, and one of them came from a waitlist spot (I was only on the waitlist for about a week). With that many waitlist positions, I'd be shocked if you don't get in somewhere, however you need to be prepared to make an immediate decision. A friend of mine found out on a Thursday/Friday he had to move to Kentucky from PA to start classes Monday. Many schools have made it clear they will pull from their waitlist up until (and even during) the first week of class.

I also still haven't heard from 4 schools I applied to at this point, so chances are some others who have put down deposits are just holding spots until they get "better" offers. Movement is bound to happen somewhere.

Thank you! I'm really hoping that is the case and people will be giving up their spots eventually as more schools give out acceptances. It does seem pretty early on, it's just hard to stay hopeful/patient when I anxiously want to know sooner rather than later if I will need to move across the country or to a different city. & good luck to you as well, congrats on your acceptances!

Decide which school on your waitlist list (lol) you would really like to go to and write them a letter of interest. Thank them for considering your application, emphasize your enthusiasm for the opportunity to remain in consideration, and reiterate your interest in attending.

Don't give up yet. Show some gumption! Good luck.

Decide which school on your waitlist list (lol) you would really like to go to and write them a letter of interest. Thank them for considering your application, emphasize your enthusiasm for the opportunity to remain in consideration, and reiterate your interest in attending.

Don't give up yet. Show some gumption! Good luck.
would u recommend doing this even if they said don't send additional information? I'm on an unranked wait list and was wondering what to do to improve my chances of getting in?

would u recommend doing this even if they said don't send additional information? I'm on an unranked wait list and was wondering what to do to improve my chances of getting in?

It depends. You aren't technically sending them additional information for your application. The goal of sending a letter of interest is to say, "Hey, I'm waitlisted. Thanks for considering me still! I continue to be very interested in your program." In my LOI to a school, I reiterated my qualities that I felt would be an asset to the program's incoming class.

IMO doing this makes you less of a number on a waitlist, ranked or not, and more of an actual person who has something to contribute to a school's program.

If you make it well-written and show genuine interest and appreciation, I highly doubt it would hurt your standing. At worst they'll read it and ignore it. Best case...they accept you!

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE:

I got moved from one waitlist today to accepted!!! :D It was my top choice also!! Thank you all for the input though, really appreciate it!

Reactions: 9 users
I thought being on 3 waitlists was bad Congrats though!!

Does anyone have recommendations on a polite way to tell a school to take you off their waitlist? lol I want to open up spots for other people waiting!

Just say that you're thankful for the opportunity but you've accepted a position in another program. Then give them best wishes on their new class.

Does anyone have recommendations on a polite way to tell a school to take you off their waitlist? lol I want to open up spots for other people waiting!
Agree with what was posted above but wanted to add I think the wording "withdraw my application" sounds a bit more polite than "remove me from your waitlist"

I just wrote thank you for the opportunity to attend "X" university but unfortunately at this time I will not be able to attend, thank you for your kindness and generosity.