Oh lord

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveumms

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though this was an old thread, eutopia CRNA decided to comment.

Here is the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4919103#post4919103

eutopiaCRNA reply:

CRNA Salary....WAY misquoted

Sorry fellas (& gals, if applies) but your averages for CRNA salaries is WAY off base. I don't know where you all are, but in Texas the average starting salary for a new grad CRNA is between $120,000 & $150,000 for the metroplex area (Dallas/Ft. Worth/Austin/Houston/San Antonio). As you go more rural, such as areas like Temple, Tyler, and South Padre the amount increases by $10,000-25,000. Even in these areas there are still MD's on staff and call is rare. For the really remote areas where the CRNA is most independent salaries range from $160,000 to $220,000 +. It isn't rare for a CRNA to make above $150,000 and becoming less rare for one to make $200,000+. Some states, such as Georgia, are offering between $200,000 & $300,000 (I just spoke to a recruiter about one of these positions yesterday). Obviously MD's make a ton more money, and yes, have a much greater education base. But, I disagree with the gentleman who wrote that CRNA's treat by the "vital signs" rather than the pathophysiological basis of anesthesia administration. Our programs (which are all master level programs) have INTENSE training in pathophysiology, chemistry, etc. In fact, the professors who taught my program also taught for the local medical school and all swore that our curriculum was almost as intense. So, CRNA's are much removed from just the standard RN. Our level of expertise is extremely high and we are very adapt at line placement (central and arterial) and epidurals, as well as the administration of anesthetics. By the way, I know tht medical school is VERY expensive, but don't underestimate the cost of a CRNA program my friends (try loans exceeding $145,000). Also, the program is almost 3 years long, not 2. AND, in order to even qualify for the program you must have critical care experience AND pass an oral interview where you are seated in front of a panel and bombarded with critical care questions ("here's a blood gas, here are the hemodynamics, now diagnosis and treat the patient....gee, looks like metabolic acidosis to me stemming from lactic acidosis from poor tissue perfusion from the hypotensive state....blah, blah, blah....that was one of my actual interview questions and answer). Gee, maybe all CRNA's aren't dummies after all, huh? UNLIKE medical students who become residents and have basically NO critical care experience, and face it fellas, how many of you HONESTLY will admit that a critical care nruse saved you from complete ruin a time or two during your residency? Now, be honest..... Ok, so my point is valid. NO WAY do I have the training or expertise that you guys do, hands down. But I am MUCH more qualified than just dealing with low-key easy cases. In fact, I routinely work neuro cases, which was my specialty prior to becoming a CRNA. We, MD's, DO's, and CRNA's, each have our own place in this game and each of us has earned our right to be here. I know that every surgeon I've ever worked with has told me (save for one) that they are just as comfortable with a CRNA on the case as the MD/DO. Not that I am better, just different. I realize my own limitations, I know when I need help, and yes, I do call into the doctors lounge on occassion and request back up.:

Members don't see this ad.

groan , another one of those almost physicians...:sleep:
why don't you guys just get it over with and go to medical school and do a residency, judging by by your qualifications , skills and experience it should be a cakewalk for you, should'nt it?:p

Even though this was an old thread, eutopia CRNA decided to comment.

Here is the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4919103#post4919103

eutopiaCRNA reply:

CRNA Salary....WAY misquoted

Sorry fellas (& gals, if applies) but your averages for CRNA salaries is WAY off base. I don't know where you all are, but in Texas the average starting salary for a new grad CRNA is between $120,000 & $150,000 for the metroplex area (Dallas/Ft. Worth/Austin/Houston/San Antonio). As you go more rural, such as areas like Temple, Tyler, and South Padre the amount increases by $10,000-25,000. Even in these areas there are still MD's on staff and call is rare. For the really remote areas where the CRNA is most independent salaries range from $160,000 to $220,000 +. It isn't rare for a CRNA to make above $150,000 and becoming less rare for one to make $200,000+. Some states, such as Georgia, are offering between $200,000 & $300,000 (I just spoke to a recruiter about one of these positions yesterday). Obviously MD's make a ton more money, and yes, have a much greater education base. But, I disagree with the gentleman who wrote that CRNA's treat by the "vital signs" rather than the pathophysiological basis of anesthesia administration. Our programs (which are all master level programs) have INTENSE training in pathophysiology, chemistry, etc. In fact, the professors who taught my program also taught for the local medical school and all swore that our curriculum was almost as intense. So, CRNA's are much removed from just the standard RN. Our level of expertise is extremely high and we are very adapt at line placement (central and arterial) and epidurals, as well as the administration of anesthetics. By the way, I know tht medical school is VERY expensive, but don't underestimate the cost of a CRNA program my friends (try loans exceeding $145,000). Also, the program is almost 3 years long, not 2. AND, in order to even qualify for the program you must have critical care experience AND pass an oral interview where you are seated in front of a panel and bombarded with critical care questions ("here's a blood gas, here are the hemodynamics, now diagnosis and treat the patient....gee, looks like metabolic acidosis to me stemming from lactic acidosis from poor tissue perfusion from the hypotensive state....blah, blah, blah....that was one of my actual interview questions and answer). Gee, maybe all CRNA's aren't dummies after all, huh? UNLIKE medical students who become residents and have basically NO critical care experience, and face it fellas, how many of you HONESTLY will admit that a critical care nruse saved you from complete ruin a time or two during your residency? Now, be honest..... Ok, so my point is valid. NO WAY do I have the training or expertise that you guys do, hands down. But I am MUCH more qualified than just dealing with low-key easy cases. In fact, I routinely work neuro cases, which was my specialty prior to becoming a CRNA. We, MD's, DO's, and CRNA's, each have our own place in this game and each of us has earned our right to be here. I know that every surgeon I've ever worked with has told me (save for one) that they are just as comfortable with a CRNA on the case as the MD/DO. Not that I am better, just different. I realize my own limitations, I know when I need help, and yes, I do call into the doctors lounge on occassion and request back up.:

Not a bad post. Salary levels are correct for private practice. Most CRNA programs are 27-28 months with a Masters degree. Most surgeons prefer MD/DO in charge of the anesthetic (help start case, deal with problems, assume liability) but don't mind CRNA's on the case.

There are very few CRNA's right out of school that can do any Regional well.
Most need a year or two of on the job training to truly do any Regional. A few can do a spinal without assistance. As for solo work CRNA only Groups know it takes 5-10 years before most can work solo. Thus, they don't hire new graduates or those with less than 5 years of experience.
Pure Rhetoric that a new graduate CRNA can work solo. Most need a lot of help for the first few years.

As for calling in the lounge for help that is for the lazy practices. These days if you want to make a good living you must hussle and see the patients, start rooms, do the blocks, etc. Most MD/DO's are reached via cell phone.

Like it or not a CRNA working solo makes $250,000 or more pls benefits. Those working 55 hours per week in a Group make $220,000 or so plus benefits. Don't believe it? www.gaswork.com proves it.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I see that some places on that site offer 250k for a CRNA I was totally floored. How can this be true while we MDAs (or soon to be) are so worried about our salaries. I'll tell you, if CRNAs are making 250K, I would be more then happy to only make 50% more (to be honest, I would be happy with 25% more). That is a whole lotta money! Of course I will probably be a little upset considering I will be much older and more in debt then the CRNAs but, still that is a good salary.

I understand that MDAs were making a whole lot more but, in the medical profession that is still an awesome salary.

What I mostly can't stand is the MDAs who just sit in the lounge making those six figures while other people do the work (residents and CRNAs alike). I think that is disgusting and that is why we have all gotten a bad rap. I know that residents have to learn but, I don't understand why the attendings just sit in the break room doing nothing when they could be teaching a little (maybe it's just at my home institution where teaching isn't so great).

I plan on working hard for my money - I didn't go into the profession to sit in the lounge on my butt, reading the paper. I hope that the same is true for all my colleagues.

I've noticed that 2 of you (MD's) have both commented on the "lazy" docs who give you good guys a bad name. You are VERY correct! There are some docs out there (especially where I work) that are content to let the CRNA do the induction, manage the case, etc. They are there for back up only. I have seen the difference at other facilities where the docs are much more involved and I envy those settings. I need someone who is willing to really be there when I need them! I have so much more to learn and I want to work with docs who are bedside me, teaching me. Your skill and critical thinking abilities are amazing. I do not see myself as an equal, but rather a part of the team. As I said before, we each have our own place. I also agree that no new grad should EVER try to work solo. That's just asking for trouble. Unfortunately, there are places that do allow it. Crazy!

Dear fastosprintini:
Sounds like someone is feeling a little territorial...... If I had wanted to go to medical school I would have. Didn't. Still don't. I am very good at what I do, NEVER said I am as qualified as any doc out there and know that I'm not. So, if you feel threatened by an intelligent, experienced, and well trained CRNA I cannot appease you. Maybe a bit of anger management............
By the way, your attitude personifies the type of physician that makes the rest look bad....the non-team player who see's himself as all important and unable to play with others of LESSER status. Too bad for you. You don't know how great a multi-dimensional approach to care can be. As an RN, I know all about multidisciplinary care and that it is most beneficial to the patient.

By the way, thanks to the rest of you who replied to my original message. You seem to have a pretty clear understanding of my role as CRNA. I am looking forward to working with doc's like ya'll who see us as extensions of the team and are willing to work hard. We are afterall supposed to be YOUR support staff and help ease your load. By the way loveumms, I wouldn't worry about your salary. My ex-boyfriend is an anesthesiologist and he is making well about $500,000 per year here in Texas.

By the way, thanks to the rest of you who replied to my original message. You seem to have a pretty clear understanding of my role as CRNA. I am looking forward to working with doc's like ya'll who see us as extensions of the team and are willing to work hard. We are afterall supposed to be YOUR support staff and help ease your load. By the way loveumms, I wouldn't worry about your salary. My ex-boyfriend is an anesthesiologist and he is making well about $500,000 per year here in Texas.

hey nitecap.. where have you been all this time? eutopia crna.. texas.. bf... LOL nice..

Johan

Your just a one trick pony arent you?

I thought the post was pretty accurate and not at all negative toward MDAs.

Believe me, in those areas where the CRNA is making 250K the MDAs are easily doubling it. When there are no MDAs thats b/c they dont want to live there. Its all choice.

Johan

Your just a one trick pony arent you?

I thought the post was pretty accurate and not at all negative toward MDAs.

Believe me, in those areas where the CRNA is making 250K the MDAs are easily doubling it. When there are no MDAs thats b/c they dont want to live there. Its all choice.
Absolutely right. I will say that at the hospital where I am now the CRNA salaries range from $125,000 - 195,000, depending on experience. However, the doc's are making well over $500,000 per year. Not shabby. There is a doc to CRNA ratio of 1:3. A doc and CRNA are both on call each night. It's not a bad deal for the doc's or CRNA's at all. (As for Johan, I've lost all hope for him/her/whatever. Johan seems to think I have a split personality or something and keeps calling me by other names; it's very eerie).:)