Ohio State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woo coming late this party... ha. Welp I was offered an interview and am trying to set up my prefered time and date, but they are asking for a profile picture. How professional is everyone going? Can I use just one of my summit selfies? Or is that too casual and I should actually do hair and makeup for this?

Uhoh. I didn't see any mention that it was actually required so I didn't upload one. Now I'm super worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Uhoh. I didn't see any mention that it was actually required so I didn't upload one. Now I'm super worried.
I didn’t upload one either. I don’t think it’s required. There wasn’t a red asterisk next to it so I skipped it!

For any of you who have gotten invites today (Congrats by the way!) - have you seen changes in your application status ?
It'll remain as "pending" until after the interview process and admissions decisions are made

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS interview invite! I'm late to the party but I got mine on Friday at like 3:40 pm. I almost stopped checking my email that day! Does anyone know the way they do interviews? I've heard 2-3 people for 30 minutes (the sign up gives 30 minute times slots too).

Reactions: 1 users
Woo coming late this party... ha. Welp I was offered an interview and am trying to set up my prefered time and date, but they are asking for a profile picture. How professional is everyone going? Can I use just one of my summit selfies? Or is that too casual and I should actually do hair and makeup for this?
I just leaned on the more professional side to be safe :)
I was ecstatic to see that I was offered an interview invite as well yesterday! (In State!)

OOS interview invite! I'm late to the party but I got mine on Friday at like 3:40 pm. I almost stopped checking my email that day! Does anyone know the way they do interviews? I've heard 2-3 people for 30 minutes (the sign up gives 30 minute times slots too).
I had an interview at OSU last cycle (but didn't make the final cut). My interview lasted 30 minutes and was with 2 faculty members (one veterinarian and one career advisor). They asked around 16 questions total during that time span, then I was allowed to ask them questions at the end.

Reactions: 1 user
nothing here :unsure: Any rejection letter sent out yet? I am seriously losing hope

Hey guys, just talked to the admissions department. They are sending out letters in waves and they will be coming out all this week and possibly into next week :D good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
OOS interview invitation!!!! I got my email this morning around 9:30am EST!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
" They are sending out letters in waves and they will be coming out all this week and possibly into next week :D good luck!"

Good news! Thank you for going directly to the source and sharing this information. :)

Reactions: 3 users
OOS interview invitation!!!! I got my email this morning around 9:30am EST!!!! :soexcited:

Interview! I’m actually shocked! Applied here as my reach school but was expecting a denial!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if it’s MMI format or standard?

Someone who interviewed last year just told me on here that it's standard. 30 minutes and 2 interviewers. I chose my interview already just to make sure my date and time was available.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Someone who interviewed last year just told me on here that it's standard. 30 minutes and 2 interviewers. I chose my interview already just to make sure my date and time was available.

This is correct. 2-3 interviewers for thirty minutes. Some are faculty, some are private practitioners, some are students. Very conversational. They just want to get to know you!

Congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Are they going to send rejection letters after sending out all the interviews? That will be devastating for people who are anxiously waiting for an interview invite :yawn:

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who have gotten interviews! I'm a first year who wen't through a crazy few months last cycle of interviews so feel free to message me with any questions, happy to help!

Congrats all!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the expected dress code for the Welcome Dinner is? I'm looking into flights right now and trying to figure out how much time I will need...

Does anyone know what the expected dress code for the Welcome Dinner is? I'm looking into flights right now and trying to figure out how much time I will need...

Ah! Found the answer to my own question: Business casual!

Congrats to everyone that has received an interview invite so far! For those that haven’t, there’s still time. I’m a current second year and willing to answer any questions any of you may have. I love it here!

Reactions: 2 users
What are zoo animal/ primate conservation opportunities, if you know of any, at Ohio State?

OOS interview on 1/27/18! Made my whole day week!! Driving 10.5hrs to get there to save money on airline tickets.

OOS interview on 1/27/18! Made my whole day week!! Driving 10.5hrs to get there to save money on airline tickets.
I don't fly to any interviews. I take the bus to save money. I live in a big city so I currently don't have my own car to drive unfortunately or I would drive to them all.

I don't fly to any interviews. I take the bus to save money. I live in a big city so I currently don't have my own car to drive unfortunately or I would drive to them all.

Hahah glad I'm not the only one balling on a budget :')

What are zoo animal/ primate conservation opportunities, if you know of any, at Ohio State?

I’m not a zoo animal person, but I know that we have zoo animal and lab animal electives that you can take starting spring semester your first year! There’s also a zoo animal club that does a lot of activities, especially at the Columbus Zoo. They also have taken field trips to Cincinnati and Cleveland Zoos and The Wilds.

I’m not a zoo animal person, but I know that we have zoo animal and lab animal electives that you can take starting spring semester your first year! There’s also a zoo animal club that does a lot of activities, especially at the Columbus Zoo. They also have taken field trips to Cincinnati and Cleveland Zoos and The Wilds.
What zoo animal electives are there? Just wondering. Anything for conservation?

What zoo animal electives are there? Just wondering. Anything for conservation?

The electives are Zoo and Wildlife Med I and II. We also have a lot of public health electives which may cover conservation, as well as a masters program in public health. Some research projects may have a slight conservation focus, and we have several international trips to Thailand, Ethiopia, and Cameroon (I believe?) that may have a conservation component to them. That’s not my focus so I really haven’t looked into opportunities with that unfortunately.

The electives are Zoo and Wildlife Med I and II. We also have a lot of public health electives which may cover conservation, as well as a masters program in public health. Some research projects may have a slight conservation focus, and we have several international trips to Thailand, Ethiopia, and Cameroon (I believe?) that may have a conservation component to them. That’s not my focus so I really haven’t looked into opportunities with that unfortunately.
It may very well be covered in zoo and wildlife medicine actually the wildlife side.

There's several international trips held every year, and I know Thailand (elephants with our anatomy professor) and Cameroon are two of the big ones. I'm doing research with the Columbus Zoo this summer through the vet school, so there are definitely a lot of opportunities here. It helps that we have a huge, amazing zoo in Columbus.

I'd also add that out of all the schools I interviewed at, OSU seemed the most interested in tailoring the education experience to a person's needs. That's one of the reasons I decided to come here over going to my IS school or undergrad school for vet school.

Zoo/wildlife inclined person, here. In addition to the aforementioned Zoo Med 1 and 2 courses, we also have avian medicine, small exotic mammal medicine (buns, ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc), and non-mammalian medicine (herps and maybe fish? Haven't taken that one yet) courses. Our zoo med club is one of the bigger and more active clubs, too.

Last summer OSU also hired a new zoo and wildlife medicine prof, who has a lot of aquatics in his background and is hoping to bring in more coursework related to that. He is also over the zoological medicine residency at OSU. Super cool guy.

I am not involved with our lab animal club, but I think there are a fair number of opportunities to get some experience with exotic species there, too.

Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised by the zoo and wildlife related opportunities we get at OSU. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info or have additional questions.

Zoo/wildlife inclined person, here. In addition to the aforementioned Zoo Med 1 and 2 courses, we also have avian medicine, small exotic mammal medicine (buns, ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc), and non-mammalian medicine (herps and maybe fish? Haven't taken that one yet) courses. Our zoo med club is one of the bigger and more active clubs, too.

Last summer OSU also hired a new zoo and wildlife medicine prof, who has a lot of aquatics in his background and is hoping to bring in more coursework related to that. He is also over the zoological medicine residency at OSU. Super cool guy.

I am not involved with our lab animal club, but I think there are a fair number of opportunities to get some experience with exotic species there, too.

Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised by the zoo and wildlife related opportunities we get at OSU. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info or have additional questions.
I can add that Non-Mammalian does indeed cover reptiles, amphibians, and fish! Also, I’m in Lab Animal Club. We have several hands on labs with mice, rats, rabbits, etc. We also just started an enrichment program for the canines used in research and we hope to expand that to other species. The lab animal electives (Intro and Interactive) cover all species used in research. In the Interactive course, we get hands on experience with handling of various species, ovariectomies of mice, and gonadectomies of rats.

Someone else mentioned that OSU is very good at helping cater your education to what you want. To add to that, we have an Individualized Career Area of Emphasis for 4th year. You get A LOT of off site rotations at approved places of your choosing, ranging from places you would like to do internship/residency to places that have a specialty that you haven’t had much exposure/experience with yet while in school.

I can add that Non-Mammalian does indeed cover reptiles, amphibians, and fish! Also, I’m in Lab Animal Club. We have several hands on labs with mice, rats, rabbits, etc. We also just started an enrichment program for the canines used in research and we hope to expand that to other species. The lab animal electives (Intro and Interactive) cover all species used in research. In the Interactive course, we get hands on experience with handling of various species, ovariectomies of mice, and gonadectomies of rats.

Someone else mentioned that OSU is very good at helping cater your education to what you want. To add to that, we have an Individualized Career Area of Emphasis for 4th year. You get A LOT of off site rotations at approved places of your choosing, ranging from places you would like to do internship/residency to places that have a specialty that you haven’t had much exposure/experience with yet while in school.
Thank you very much and the individualized career area of interest is whatever you want it to be or is there a list to choose from?

Awesome! I'm trying to figure out flights so I can attend the dinner the night before.

As someone who also has an interest in zoo med this is great!

Awesome! I'm trying to figure out flights so I can attend the dinner the night before.

As someone who also has an interest in zoo med this is great!
Just wondering when you were interviewing since we share career interests.

Last edited:
My interview is scheduled for 1/3 at 12:45. I hope to see some of you there!

Thank you very much and the individualized career area of interest is whatever you want it to be or is there a list to choose from?

It’s kind of whatever you want, but there are some restrictions. The places have to be approved by the school for one thing. Some areas are still technically individualized but they have an outline that you follow. Pathology is like that.

Sorry if my replies are confusing, my brain is fried from finals!