Ohio State Uni: MEDPATH 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been trying to find this out too. When I emailed them, this is the response I received. It says nothing about preference for in-state students but I don't know for sure.

"Up to fifteen participants are enrolled in upper-level undergraduate science courses and receive instruction in learning/test taking strategies. MEDPATH students receive conditional admission to the OSU College of Medicine and will matriculate to the first year of medical school, provided that they meet the program's Success Criteria requirements (i.e. 3.0 or better GPA, MCAT score ≥ 24 on retake during Spring Quarter, score 70 percent or better in the Summer Pre-Entry Program). Please see attachment for details.

The following criteria are used to determine if a referral to MEDPATH is appropriate; and the MEDPATH application is made available through the student's Status Page. Direct applications to the Program are not accepted.

∙ Satisfaction of all pre-medical requirements including MCAT* (http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/requirements/Pages/Prerequisites.aspx);
∙ A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the Science GPA (BCPM), All Other Courses GPA (AO) or Total GPA on the AMCAS Application;
∙ Earned Bachelor's degree before or by the start of the program;
∙ United States citizenship or permanent resident status;
∙ Strong non-cognitive characteristics including emotional maturity, character, sense of caring for others, communication skills, critical thinking and problem solving skills, and commitment to service;
∙ Completed College of Medicine secondary application;
∙ Disadvantaged economically/educationally and/or underrepresented in medicine
* Minimum score of 19 required for referral consideration."

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how competitive this program is to get into?

I mean, do they just offer to everyone they reject who has a decent application or do you have to show interest?

I mean, do they just offer to everyone they reject who has a decent application or do you have to show interest?
You can do an internet search for: osu medpath. That should provide you with all the info you'll need. Good luck. As far as competition is concerned, I think they only accept 15 people. I'm not sure if its mostly in-state or not.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the program is competitive to get into. its only 15 spots. They interview 30 people and accept 15 and the other 15 are wait listed.Im not sure how many people they invite to apply though. I was invited like 3 weeks after I submitted my secondary application. The program sounds great and I hope you get a application. Good luck! :)

So one must be considered disadvantaged in some way? Also can one be referred post interview for an acceptance to medical school?

So one must be considered disadvantaged in some way? Also can one be referred post interview for an acceptance to medical school?

Yes, you have to be considered disadvantaged. I applied to the medical school and admissions referred me to MEDPATH. When you say post interview are you saying after the medical school interview or after the post bacc interview?

I know that after the medical school interview some applicants are accepted into MEDPATH instead of the medical school. I do not think they will offer a regular MD spot if you interview for MEDPATH. I hope that answers your question.

Yes, you have to be considered disadvantaged. I applied to the medical school and admissions referred me to MEDPATH. When you say post interview are you saying after the medical school interview or after the post bacc interview?

I know that after the medical school interview some applicants are accepted into MEDPATH instead of the medical school. I do not think they will offer a regular MD spot if you interview for MEDPATH. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks, I know a friend who did this program but she is not disadvantaged in anyway. I'm pretty sure she lied because she did the same to allow for a work study program in undergrad.

I meant do they offer this program to someone who has a regular interview for medical school?

Thanks, I know a friend who did this program but she is not disadvantaged in anyway. I'm pretty sure she lied because she did the same to allow for a work study program in undergrad.

I meant do they offer this program to someone who has a regular interview for medical school?

Yes they do. Each year some of the students participating in MEDPATH are people who had regular MD interviews. This program sounds so great but highly competitive because its only 15 spots. Out of those spots some of them go to people who got regular MD interviews. Did your friend like the program? This is my first choice :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Yes they do. Each year some of the students participating in MEDPATH are people who had regular MD interviews. This program sounds so great but highly competitive because its only 15 spots. Out of those spots some of them go to people who got regular MD interviews. Did your friend like the program? This is my first choice :xf:
Are you aware of how many "waitlisters" out of the 15 were accepted?

Are you aware of how many "waitlisters" out of the 15 were accepted?
After reviewing previous years' threads, I confirmed that 2011 had 2 waitlisters get in and 2010 had 6. Please correct me if you have more accurate stats.

After reviewing previous years' threads, I confirmed that 2011 had 2 waitlisters get in and 2010 had 6. Please correct me if you have more accurate stats.

Do you know how many people are invited to apply?

The best way to find out is to call the medpath office and speak to Nikki. She's very helpful.

The best way to find out is to call the medpath office and speak to Nikki. She's very helpful.

Oh, I do not need to know I was just curious. I don't want to call & ask unnecessary questions. Thanks though!

Hi there! I'm new to SDN but I've been wandering through these posts for a while now hah.. I was wondering if you had heard about Medpath invites after regular MD interviews from someone at OSU, because when I called to ask I was told this did not really happen.
Maybe they just said that so I wouldn't be expecting it?..not sure, just a little confused.

Hey there,

I know some things about medpath from friends who have been through it. Some people who have had a regular MD interview who are not outright accepted can instead be considered for the medpath program. They are directly offered a spot into the program. Everyone else has to be invited via a status change on the OSU medstar website. Also, they invite about 100 people to apply and interview 30. There are 15 spots but some of those can be taken up by the special circumstance I mentioned at the beginning. I have no idea when they stop inviting people or how many people have not been invited.

Hey there,

I know some things about medpath from friends who have been through it. Some people who have had a regular MD interview who are not outright accepted can instead be considered for the medpath program. They are directly offered a spot into the program. Everyone else has to be invited via a status change on the OSU medstar website. Also, they invite about 100 people to apply and interview 30. There are 15 spots but some of those can be taken up by the special circumstance I mentioned at the beginning. I have no idea when they stop inviting people or how many people have not been invited.
Oh okay great, thanks!

Hi there! I'm new to SDN but I've been wandering through these posts for a while now hah.. I was wondering if you had heard about Medpath invites after regular MD interviews from someone at OSU, because when I called to ask I was told this did not really happen.
Maybe they just said that so I wouldn't be expecting it?..not sure, just a little confused.
Emailing the office is the best route to a factual response.

Last edited:
I have my medpath interview this April...any tips about interview day or thoughts about the program? Also, Those of you that have done the one year post bac already, did it prepare you well enough to take the mcat after? I'm nervous I wont meet the minimum score. If you are in the medical school now, do you think the post bac had enhanced your performance?