ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does that mean for those of us that won't get there until before school starts? Do we have to wait until the 2010 football season to be able to buy our tickets?

Members don't see this ad.

What does that mean for those of us that won't get there until before school starts? Do we have to wait until the 2010 football season to be able to buy our tickets?

First years can order tickets online June 1st. I would order them immediately when the window opens - as the incoming student tickets go EXTREMELY fast.

First years can order tickets online June 1st. I would order them immediately when the window opens - as the incoming student tickets go EXTREMELY fast.

Then where is the best place to scalp them for maximum profit?:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I agree you gotta buy them quickly in June. Probably the best way to scalp them for a good profit would be alumni. But then, I've never done that so I don't know!

Hi,

I agree you gotta buy them quickly in June. Probably the best way to scalp them for a good profit would be alumni. But then, I've never done that so I don't know!

I've done this, pay the money to upgrade your tickets so anyone can sit in them and then hit stub hub. If you have a SO then make sure you get tickets for him/her, too, and upgrade both. Tickets in pairs bring huge amounts of dough, it was not uncommon for the Umich game tickets to be 2,500 for a pair.

Another question, do vet students get better seatting than undergrads? Any current vet student that can tell me what deck your tickets have been on? Thanks.

Does anyone know whether or not the OSU over-accepted OOS applicants this cycle? I know that many vet schools do this (Western is coming to mind) but do not know what OSU's system is. With a wait list into the 100's, I'm hoping that they did not over-accept.

From as far as I could tell at their informational meeting, it seemed like they did not over accept for OOS or IS. If someone OOS was to decline, then it would go to the next person on the OOS alternate list. I could be wrong though, but that is the impression I got. Any current students know for sure?

I do know that a student has said on SDN (it may be somewhere further up in this thread) they often get into the 30's on the OOS list.

I do know that a student has said on SDN (it may be somewhere further up in this thread) they often get into the 30's on the OOS list.

lol, that might have been me! I know that historically they tend to dip into the OOS alternate list quite a bit, but as OSU is my #1 choice (and one of 2 wait lists for me) I'm just becoming anxious/paranoid as April 15th draws closer! :scared:

lol, that might have been me! I know that historically they tend to dip into the OOS alternate list quite a bit, but as OSU is my #1 choice (and one of 2 wait lists for me) I'm just becoming anxious/paranoid as April 15th draws closer! :scared:

Yep, I'm right there with ya cRose. I'm getting so antsy!

cRose and Rusty27: I hope you both get in off the waitlist tomorrow (or within the next few days); I am rooting for you!! :xf:

Good luck to all the waitlist people!

Now, for a dumb question - does anyone know when we receive our "registration materials"? Has anyone received anything since the acceptance letters? I remember that our letters stated that we wouldn't receive materials until the acceptance check was received and all prerequisite classes were completed, but it didn't say when to expect it. I know OSU takes care of scheduling our classes for us for the first quarter, and the window for fall quarter opens April 27. I'm still waiting for that "OOPS we made a mistake!" phone call from admissions, so three months of radio silence is getting me paranoid. :)

I am not too sure myself, but I believe all of that is done for us and we don't have to worry about it until winter quarter. Now in June we should be receiving our financial aid statements and maybe some other forms to fill out. Another thing to keep in mind is that our book order forms are due by August 1st I believe. There is a late fee if not turned in by then. Just something to be aware of. I think this information can be found on the OVESS web site.

Aw, thanks Rachroo! And AgtOrange!

I really really really, really really REALLY, REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that I will be joining the class of 2013!!!!

I'm probably going to avoid SDN tomorrow--I think my sanity depends on it. Of course, I'll be sure to log on and let you two know if I DO get that call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea what the job market is like for students in the Columbus area?

I am giving really serious consideration to moving out there in like early June and am just trying to gauge if I will be able to find work for the summer while I am there.

Anyone have any idea what the job market is like for students in the Columbus area?

I think the student job market in Columbus is depressing but not hopeless. All my friends that have wanted to find or change jobs have been able to do so within a few weeks, but they all have jobs in the service industry (waiting tables, etc). If you're looking for something in the vet field, I think it's a little more difficult right now - I work at a vet clinic right now but started putting in applications for elsewhere two months ago, and just now got a call for my first interview. At my present clinic, we had an opening for a part-time kennel position, and RVT's were applying like crazy.

The positive side is that there are alot of vet clinics in Columbus, and the beginning of summer is good time to start looking (OSU students get out of school in early June). From what I understand, it's far easier to get a job in the OSU vet hospital once we've actually started classes, but 15 minutes away from OSU is MedVet/Columbus Veterinary Emergency Service, one of the largest specialty hospitals in the nation. If you have a large amount of SA experience, that might be a good place to apply.

Another option is to still move to Ohio but either move a little bit outside of C-bus or move to a different area entirely. An emergency vet I volunteered with (she graduated ~2 years ago from OSU) told me that Columbus is really "saturated" in the veterinary world...again, just one's opinion but I can see why it would make sense. But, as long as you are located somewhere in Ohio, you can begin the 1 year process to become a resident.

I really can't say much about columbus, but the ohio sudent employee situation is not that good right now. Many places are laying off full time people, and not hiring. I am still looking for a job and have been for the past 2 months now. The vet clinic I worked at hired a full time RVT when I left last summer and kind of took over my spot. Now they don't think they will need help this summer. That sucks but I understand.

Hey Guys,

I hope you are all getting excited!! If you have a chance in May, to come to Columbus, the OTS fraternity will be holding their Hog Roast on May 16th. Basically, its a great time, and I went last year. I met a lot of other 1st years and really got me comfortable! I really recommend it.

Also, for my class year, they started going paperless with all of the registration materials. You really have to watch this page, http://vet.osu.edu/2693.htm. That's where they put everything up or they will email you.

I know all about the "oops, we made a mistake", trust me, we ALL felt that way. But don't worry, they didn't!! There is not much communication until like two weeks before classes, and then its much more busy. At least it was that way for us.

All you have to worry about is getting yourself here and doing your booklist. If you have any questions about books, feel free to ask them here!!

Ok so for jobs, its a tough market in Columbus. I started in Feb. of last year and it took me forever to find one. However there are other jobs that are non-veterinary if you want. Also if you are willing to go farther from downtown Columbus, you might have more luck.

Let me know if you have any questions!

should i be concerned that I can not activate my e-mail? The only confirmation I have is the website status page telling me they recieved my decision, and thank you for choosing to attend. ... I do still feel like they made a mistake, or that some how something is going to go wrong and i won't be going to school in the fall

Say hello to your newest classmate! Got the call this morning!

I replied in Off the Waistlist, but I'm so flipping excited that I'm going to say congratulations here, too!

Yay Rusty!

Yeah!!! Congrats and welcome! Can't wait to meet you this fall!

(Your next cRose!)

Thanks guys. Now let's see how long it takes them to get from #10 to #25 for cRose!

Just got in off the waitlist and declined :(. I really loved OSU, but I think I am going to be really happy at Penn. It seems like you guys have an awesome class, I'm sad I won't be joining you!

For those new to Columbus, you have to check out this cool place called The Market downtown. My aunt runs a shop there and there are all sorts of neat little food places - amazing ice cream where you can get weird, but delicious, flavors like Cayenne Chocolate and Salty Caramel....MMMMMM!

Booooo Hissss! ;)

Best of luck with Penn. What spot were you on the waitlist just so others know where they are at?

Oh sorry, forgot to add that here, I was number 15.

I know, boo hiss :( Awesome school! And we could have had a whole Massachusetts clan and walked around saying "wicked" all the time and commisserated on all the passive Ohio-an drivers :laugh:

Haha! I didn't realize your another Mass resident? Where you living now?

Im sure Penn will be awesome, Wicked freaking awesome. ;)

I know there is at least myself and one other mass resident in the class of 2013 which makes me feel like we are ridiculously over represented based on there being 49 non-ohio states and only 37(?) OOS seats.

Oh sorry, forgot to add that here, I was number 15.

I know, boo hiss :( Awesome school! And we could have had a whole Massachusetts clan and walked around saying "wicked" all the time and commisserated on all the passive Ohio-an drivers :laugh:

Hi all,
So it is getting close to summer and vet school will be here before we know it :D. With that said, I am looking for a couple of roommates. And did I say the rent will be low, not sure how low yet, but lower than probably any other place renting.

So if this sounds interesting to anyone, let me know.

By the way, I am a 21 yr male from Ohio. My other roommate is 23yr male from Mass, and potential third is 22 yr male from Ohio.

Last edited:
So I hope you guys are all getting excited!!

We are getting excited because we get to be 2nd years!!

Anyway, I just wanted to post about some housing stuff. If you are interested in looking for a place to live, I know bmichs75DVM had posted about looking for a roomate. I also know some current first year's who have a house and are looking for new roomates if that's your thing.

Also, I stopped in at my apartment complex today and there were a ton of students who had stopped looking for apartments!!! That's great!!! They told me that they really like Vet Students cause we're responsible!

I'll reiterate that Runaway Bay Apartments is a really great place to live!! If you have happened to visit, do me a favor and send me a PM!!! I'd love to talk to you about it!! I think they are also doing a free rent promotion this month too!!

I hope this helps!!

Just got the call from Amber about an hour ago...!

So excited that I can officially call myself a buckeye. See you all in the Fall! :D

Yay cRose! :banana: Now come join the facebook group!

YAHOO cRose! :D

So happy for you; congrats and see you in the fall!

Sooo.... is anyone going to the hog roast this Saturday? By sheer coincidence, this weekend was the one my husband and I picked to go out and look at houses in Columbus. So I may go! Anyone else? Is it uncomfortable to go when I won't know anyone? :oops:

I wish I were able to go, but I'm actually moving home to PA this weekend! I start back at the clinic where I worked during undergrad on the 18th, so I need the get out of WV like nobody's business. I don't think there is any reason to feel awkward about it, though. Lord knows you have something in common with every vet student there! Plus, I highly doubt that you'll be the only first year who decides to attend. Go and have fun!

Hey There!!

I'll be at the OTS Hog Roast!! I'm an Oatie but I'll be there serving up some good food. We're excited for you to come!!

See you Saturday!!

So here's a random question: what is the mandatory attire (if any) for the first few years of school at Ohio? Professional dress, scrubs, anything goes? I never thought to ask that while visiting OSU in December, and can't find anything about it in any of the resources on Ohio's website.

I know that the first year has an anatomy lab every quarter, but I'm sure people change into and out of designated "dissection scrubs" for those, to reduce the stench, lol. So what do people wear in the lecture hall?

OSU doesn't have a dress code. There are people that wear professional dress every day, but the majority of the class wears jeans and t-shirts/sweatshirts or other casual clothes.

First quarter you have lab 3 days/week. There are some that would wear scrubs to school, and change after lab into normal clothes. You can also just leave scrubs in your locker and change into/out of scrubs before and after lab.

Here's another random question: is OSU big on technology/the use of laptops? I see other schools talking about tablets and required laptops and what not. If I recall correctly we get course notes at the beginning of the quarter, so do most people find bringing laptops to class unnecessary?

So yeah there is no "dress code" at OSU. Now for the first few weeks most everyone tries to look nice, then people just give up and you see girls in sweatpants, etc... But as cateyes said some people wear scrubs on the day you have anatomy lab. It just helps to reduce the time that you spend getting ready so you can have even more time in lab!

However, once you enter clinics, there is a dress code, which is professional attire unless you are in a rotation where scrubs are required. And if I remember right, most rotations tell you what is required of you. For example, necropsy rotation you just wear scrubs, but like oncology you should wear professional attire. But again, that's a long way's away so don't go out and fill your closet.

For the technology issue, I think it depends. I think the far majority of the class just uses the paper notes. They are VERY comprehensive. However some people use laptops, and I would guess about 5-10 people on average bring their laptop every single day to class. Maybe another 5-10 bring it randomly. And to be honest I see most people on their laptops usually on facebook.

I interviewed at schools where they bring tablets and what not, but that's not what OSU does. I think its nice to have the notes though, cause I just take my notes at the end of the quarter and have all of them bound for like $30 at Kinko's. Then they are nicely organized to refer back too. Its a lot easier than a computer for me. But everyone is different.

You can definetely bring a laptop, there is wireless in the room and plenty of power connections and even wired connections to the internet. But most people do not.

I hope this helps!

Hey everyone! I checked my OSU e-mail and found info for buying football tickets on June 1st. :banana:

Just thought I'd let you all know since the tickets sell out fast from what I've heard!!

Get Excited!!

We just received the list for Big Sib/Lil Sib's for the Class of 2013!!! Can't wait to meet you all!

Progress? Progress! Wooooh!

Exciting news! Sooo.... when could we expect to hear anything from OSU? I'm getting antsy over here!

We're all so excited to meet all of you guys too! Final exams begin next friday and go through the 11th, so you can probably expect to hear from us around then!

so, who else got their 2009 Ohio State football tickets? maybe if there is enough feedback, many of us could try to get seats close to one another.

I DID! I DID! I DID!!!!!!!!!! I am soo excited. I miss college football. I used to go to oregon state, so its going to be odd chearing for a different OSU, but I am pumped!

Did they send the big sib list to your OSU e-mail or personal addy? I haven't received mine yet... clearly I'm anxious/excited/impatient for any bit of news :)