ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, I knew OSU's point system but I had no idea the margin of difference between some accepted applicants, the whole waitlist, and rejected applicants could be as little as 3 points. I suppose it makes sense with the 1000 or so applicants...but...gah. If it was an exam I'd ask for a regrade :)

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of point distribution for all applicants...

Congratulations on your acceptance elsewhere and thanks for letting us know about the file review!

Members don't see this ad.

3 points!? Wow.

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone know if they do a review for accepted applicants? I ask this because I will be speaking to my pre-vet club and I am kind of am in the dark about the specifics. Instead of blindly giving my advice or explaining why I think ABC about XYZ, I think it would be most beneficial to have concrete words of advice concerning the admissions process and a breakdown of points, etc.

3 points!? Wow.

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone know if they do a review for accepted applicants?

I was actually really curious about the same thing.

On another note... anyone know when we can sign up for our OSU email address?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a reminder to all. Once you get your OSU email address you can sign up for your free VIN membership!

Hey,

I think this is the website. http://8help.osu.edu/. However you should get more information when you get closer by the school. Good luck to you and welcome to THE OSU!!

Just go to vin.com ..... and click join on the top of the page!

You hadn't signed up yet!?!

Its addictive.... very very addictive. Your so screwed. ;)

I hope its not like SDN because you are the one that addicted me to it. I just signed up and am awaiting conformation.

I just signed up and am awaiting conformation.

Only 24 hours before they are able to confirm you and then...you'll be glued to the screen! :laugh::)

Only 24 hours before they are able to confirm you and then...you'll be glued to the screen! :laugh::)

I was confirmed in like 2 hours. Totally made my night. :)

Lucky.

Oh well, now that I have access, it's one more thing to get me even more excited about for starting school!

You're right, I'm screwed. My VIN membership just cam in. Damnit now its something else keeping me away from my work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any word on if/when the alternate list starts moving? :)

my guess would be april 15th, or shortly prior to that, unfortunately...:(

I am 99.9% positive I will be going to THE OSU!!!! It was going to be between tufts my IS and OSU, got waitlisted at tufts making my decision easier :). I love the program at OSU, but was tempted by living so close to home. I'm glad this is the way it turned out. I can't wait to meet everyone! anyone looking for a roommate?

Last edited:
I can't wait to meet everyone!

Hope to meet you in September if you decide on OSU! :)

Hey Guys,

Congrats on getting in to THE OSU! I hope you all come here cause its awesome! Way better than Tufts. Hehe

Anyway, don't get too addicted to VIN, it is my favorite place but I have to jump off there sometimes so I can study!!

Also, don't be afraid, I know when you are first reading, that it seems so daunting, especially since some of the vets can be kinda harsh. They all really mean well and it is a GREAT community.

You'll get even closer with VIN when you are in school, since they come and talk to us and you get to meet the people involved! They are absolutely great!

Good luck everyone! And congrats!!

I wonder what the breakdown is for OSU acceptances? Male/Female ratio? It seems to me like most SDNers that have posted to the OSU board are female, except maybe a handful.

I wonder what the breakdown is for OSU acceptances? Male/Female ratio? It seems to me like most SDNers that have posted to the OSU board are female, except maybe a handful.

~20% male (going to be way more interesting than my undergrad that was 80% male)

http://www.aavmc.org/students_admissions/documents/Table29WEB_000.pdf

I think we need to open up our roommate search to females otherwise we might end up living with 1/4 of the male population of our class. :)

Hey Guys,

So just an FYI. Our class is 79.44% female. So like 113 females and about 29 males.

That may not be true for your class. But just an FYI.

So a question regarding being an OOS student trying to get IS tuition...

According to the residency website: http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more//Content/Residency/FAQ_New.htm#24

Ineligible income includes:
"Savings that have not been in an account in your name for at least one year prior to the beginning of your residency review period"

Does this mean that any money earned during the 12 months prior to moving to Ohio cannot be used towards my first year expenses?

Ineligible income includes:
"Savings that have not been in an account in your name for at least one year prior to the beginning of your residency review period"

I am pretty sure this means that money that just "magically" appears in your account (i.e. a 'gift' from Dad or Grandma) OR money that you have earned outside of OH during the year you're applying for residency will make you ineligible, if it shows up during the 365 days prior to obtaining residency status. If you made this cash prior to moving to OH, and it's already in your savings, that's ok, provided that you can document that the money was earned during a year other than the one that you're using to apply for in-state residency.

Basically, it's just saying that you can't have any income from outside of OH during the year prior to applying for residency if you want to become a resident.

Someone correct me if I am wrong :)

the way that they explained it to us at the start of fall quarter was that any money from the year prior to fall quarter (aka, the year before you moved there) can not be used for residency. the only exception to this was if the money was earned in ohio, or was given to you by someone living in ohio who could document (taxes, w-2s) that they could afford to give you the money. if you have any questions about specific circumstances, the residency counselors are a great resource. hope that helps!

Hmmmm,

So how easy is it to actually get a job out there if I decided to move to ohio at the beginning of the summer?

Its kind of a bummer that all the money I am saving now can't actually be used during my first year.

the way that they explained it to us at the start of fall quarter was that any money from the year prior to fall quarter (aka, the year before you moved there) can not be used for residency.

What does using it for residency mean? Paying for tuition/housing during your freshman year?

Hey Guys,

So, cateyes was good with her answer. So when they say:

They are referring to money that you made out of state. So if say you worked in New York for the summer before vet school, then you can't technically use that money to pay for school. Now once that money is in your account, they can't tell whether that money is from New York or from Ohio.

However, here is what it all boils down to. Your money from Ohio (income (LOANS)) has to be GREATER than your expenses. If that happens, then you should be in the clear. A good way that they check this is, they look at your bank statement before you moved to Ohio. Say you have $2,000 in your account. If you have MORE than $2,000 at the end of the calendar year, then you should be fine.

And they are VERY serious about outside gifts. They basically don't want your Uncle from California to give you a "gift" of $20,000 that he had to take a loan out for. That won't fly. Birthday gifts and what not, should be fine. Like my grandfather sold some land and gave the money to his grandkids (i.e. me!). It wasn't a lot but I still asked him to keep the paperwork just in case.

And when they are talking residency, they include everything, not just room/board, but health insurance, car registration, credit cards, everything. However they are really lenient, so don't freak out!

Examples of leniency: Lots of people have cars that their parent's pay for, and they just "borrow" them, so they don't have car payments. That works. Like for me, my dad pays my cell phone bill, so my bill there is $0.

So there are whole lots of variations, especially if you have a spouse or are in the military. But that's another story.

Basically remember this, your income must be greater than your expenses at the end of the year.

And getting a job in Columbus can be difficult if you aren't a registered technician already. But don't despair, because you can still use that money from out of state, you just have to have more money than what you started with at the end of the year.

Yet again, why I moved early!

Also, side note is that the residency counselers come speak to all the out-of-state students early in the fall to keep you on track!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hmmmm,

So how easy is it to actually get a job out there if I decided to move to ohio at the beginning of the summer?

Its kind of a bummer that all the money I am saving now can't actually be used during my first year.

Really the thing is - you have to stay in Ohio either the summer before or the summer after. Personally, I think it is much easier to stay the summer after because you can get a job at the vet school (through their research program or other programs).

ri23, good to know. Are there jobs students can get in the teaching hospital or anything else clinical? (I'm not so big on research)

Hey,

So I tried to find a job in Columbus prior to my first year, and finding jobs at the Veterinary Hospital is difficult. Once you are a true first year, then not so hard. But before then, it is difficult.

I had connections within the hospital, and was even talking to the hospital administrator but because I was not within the hospital, or part of the school officially, no one would give me anything.

Not to say that you won't be able to find anything. Good luck if you do! But I ended up working for the university, but not the veterinary school. Also there are lots of other non-veterinary related jobs you could do in Columbus as well.

Others again may have had an easier time. Maybe it was because I was out-of-state, I don't know.

Good luck!

So I am going house hunting this coming monday in columbus to find a place to live for the next four years. If anyone is interested in rooming up with me and david594(male or female), let me know. I would like to get one or two more roomates for the upcoming years of vet school. So again, if anyone is intrested, let me know.

Hey incoming class! I am one of the recruitment chairs for Omega Tau Sigma, one of the veterinary fraternities at OSU. I know that a lot of you are looking for interim places to stay this summer, and I wanted to let you know that you can rent a room in the OTS house starting in July until you find/can move into your new apartment. Rent is extremely (and I mean extremely) reasonable, the location is great, and the company can’t be beat! If you are interested or want details feel free to PM me!

any new acceptances to OSU yet? I haven't seen this thread in a while and was curious.

Have any of you looked into any of the clubs offered? I don't want to bog myself down with joining too many things in the excitement of it all but I know I definitely want to joing the shelter medicine club. It looks like you can get some great hands on experience through them. Still debating on some of the others. Has anyone else found one that seems really interesting? And from my understanding we're all required to join SCAVMA right? Besides informational lectures/talks do you know what else we would do in the club?

I'm also definitely interested in the shelter medicine club. Its definitely an interesting side of veterinary medicine.

Showing my dorky side I'm excited about the ride along with the Humane Officers. :oops: And the spay/neuter clinics are going to give us so much experience. I wonder when we can participate in those (beyond prepping and monitoring)?

I have my eye on the shelter medicine club, the behavior club, and the emergency and critical care society. I'm not sure how practical that all is, seeing as how I think we're supposed to, like, take classes right? ;)

I don't think there are any spay/neuter clinics for us until fourth year. Or was it third? Hmm... can't remember....

We do our first surgeries spring quarter our second year, so I wouldnt expect to really do anything before that.

On the other hand someone said we are legal to do whatever under the supervision of a vet after first year, so maybe we can start getting those cat neuters in there at that point?

I've looked at the clubs a few times. SAVMA gives a lot of informational talks, but give you a lot of free stuff for going, such as FOOD! From what i have heard, we get pizza, subs, etc a lot while in vet school.

As for clubs, I will be joining the Food Animal Club, Equine Club, and probably the Theriogenology club. Maybe not all at once, but within the first two years.

My problem with the list of clubs is that almost all of them seem really interesting! I'm guessing once I find out more about each club, the wet labs offered, etc. that will help me narrow it down.

One vet that I shadow and am really good friends with has been out of OSU for about 3 years now and he still knows a lot about how things happen there. He told me not to get into a lot of clubs because you don't have enough time to be active in all of them. Also some of the teams you can get on: such as the OB team or emergency team, he said they were ok, but you do not get much hands on experience. Most of the hands on stuff goes to the resident doctor and OSU staff, you really just get to watch. It gives you experience, but he said it gets old after a while because you a not participating much.

One vet that I shadow and am really good friends with has been out of OSU for about 3 years now and he still knows a lot about how things happen there. He told me not to get into a lot of clubs because you don't have enough time to be active in all of them. Also some of the teams you can get on: such as the OB team or emergency team, he said they were ok, but you do not get much hands on experience. Most of the hands on stuff goes to the resident doctor and OSU staff, you really just get to watch. It gives you experience, but he said it gets old after a while because you a not participating much.

While it is best not to overload oneself with clubs, definitely get involved and be active in those that you want to join. They really provide some invaluable experiences. I know a number of people that have gotten some really great experiences from things like FA emergency team, so I don't know that I would rule those things out.

The first few weeks of school, you will get some introductions to the clubs and opportunities available.

Also - as someone mentioned earlier, SCAVMA is mandatory - so you will have to join. That is in order to get their insurance during clinics.

Hey OSU CVM class of 2013! Just wanted to offer some assistance to any of you who are still looking at places to live. I had a few opportunities to look at several apartments before my roommate and I made a final decision...so if anyone is looking for an apartment within 10-20 minutes of the vet school which allow pets and has w/d hookups, I could recommend several places to check out. Feel free to PM me if you'd like; see you all in September! :)

Hey Guys,

I can tell you that as you have all figured out, there a lot of clubs to be involved with. I personally plan on moving around when I get to second year and try out different clubs. Clubs I'm in right now:

SCAVMA
Theriogenology Club
Radiology Club
VBMA- Veterinary Business Management Association
OTS- Veterinary Fraternity

I swear I'm in more but I just can't remember them all! Anyway, there are a lot of opportunities and you could be at school forever going to meetings, but eventually you have to prioritize.

Like I really wanted to be part of the Surgery Club but it conflicted with my Theriogenology Club meetings. And I really wanted to be on the Dystocia team (which by the way is awesome).

As far as experience, I think it is, what you make of it. I was part of a 9 hour Dytocia last quarter, and got to help a lot. I think if you want to jump in, then the veterinarians and students are willing to let you help as well.

Also, just wanted to point out that there is a difference between SAVMA and SCAVMA. SAVMA is the national organization and SCAVMA is The Ohio State University's local chapter of SAVMA. And yes, you have to be a member in order to gain insurance in clinics. And insurance is like $10 when you get into clinic's so its a really great deal. Plus almost all SCAVMA meetings have lunch associated with them.

Most clubs you guys mentioned are pretty active, especially SCAVMA and food animal club. I'm not a member but I know they do a lot, but equine club is not as active, but hopefully that will be changing soon.

And you do get a lot of food during school, but especially the first quarter, after that it tends to taper off.

Good luck everyone, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Undergrad tickets opened up today for next season (I got mine, U. Mich(there), Toledo(there), and USC(here) were gone...) Anyone have any idea how vet students get tickets?

Any vet students (current students, I guess) make seating groups with people other than vet students, like undergrads they knew? I am super confused about how this works (and I've been here for three years, haha).

So, Sunday I am heading to Columbus to look for a house to live in for vet school. I have found 7 very nice properties (at least in photos) that I am looking into buying. All are within 6 miles of the vet school with the closest about 3 miles. They are all 3 bedroom, 1-2 bath places. Most have good size yards. So, if anyone is interested in rooming with me, let me know.

I am:
21 yr old male from Ohio. Already have one potential roomate who 23 yr old male from MA.

If anyone wants anymore info, I can provide it next week once I see the houses.

So now that they've cashed my check, how do I get the e-mail so I can get my VIN #? I went on the link provided above and it shows a rolling schedule for April. How did other people get theirs sooner and do they e-mail you to the account you originally gave them or do you contact them to get your e-mail info. I'm dying to get on VIN.

Hey Guys,

Vet Students just got their tickets today. Besides exceptionally long wait times, at least we got ours. The medical students didn't even get their passwords!

You can start to make groups in June, but remember that it is based upon the lowest person in the group. So a group of fourth year's will have better seating if they have all fourth year's then a group of fourth year's with one first year. I assume its the same way for undergraduates as well.

I plan on either joining the OTS seating group or making one with my SO.

For your email, yeah you have to go to that link to set your email up. Then enjoy VIN!

The VIN guys are really great, we just had the 2009 SAVMA Symposium here, and Dr. Lissant was there, and he's very cool. Anyway have a good one!