Ok State Class of 2016 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woohoo! Welcome, you should join the class of 2016 facebook group so I can creep on you. As for parking, there is a parking lot directly across the street from the school. Permit prices did go up last year but they are still reasonable especially compared to some other schools in the state/region. OSU does have a bus system that is free for students that drops off in the same parking lot but I don't know where it picks up/if you would need to change buses/how long it takes to get from point A to point B. A lot of vet students live in houses behind the school (like Cowgirla) where it is easy to walk to class if you want. I drove through that neighborhood yesterday and there were still some houses available for rent.

Could you post the link??? I tried to find it the other day and failed miserably.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you post the link??? I tried to find it the other day and failed miserably.

The link for what?
Bus system is http://www.parking.okstate.edu/bus_schedules.aspx
Parking lot map should be somewhere around that page as well.

Most of the houses I've seen for rent look to be private owners. The handful by the larger companies have taken their signs down already. Craigslist is worth a shot.
Based on what I saw when I was looking for housing, I'd strongly recommend looking at places in person if you are aiming for a house. I saw some decent places and some pretty ****ty places that had looked/sounded nice in ads. I think TT was with me for one of those horror places. I was terrified that "OMG- is all the housing like this? Is this how oklahomans live??" and then I found my house and all was well :)

ETA Oh duh, you probably meant the link for the FB group. Let me see if I can find it. I think they have it set to not be searchable

ETA2: http://www.facebook.com/groups/373668189318381/ Let me know if that doesnt work! Not everyone in that group will be in your class- one of the current first years added a bunch of first/second/third years for no reason that I can tell. Including me, and I have no idea why, although I appreciate the stalking opportunities ;)

The link for what?
Bus system is http://www.parking.okstate.edu/bus_schedules.aspx
Parking lot map should be somewhere around that page as well.

Most of the houses I've seen for rent look to be private owners. The handful by the larger companies have taken their signs down already. Craigslist is worth a shot.
Based on what I saw when I was looking for housing, I'd strongly recommend looking at places in person if you are aiming for a house. I saw some decent places and some pretty ****ty places that had looked/sounded nice in ads. I think TT was with me for one of those horror places. I was terrified that "OMG- is all the housing like this? Is this how oklahomans live??" and then I found my house and all was well :)

ETA Oh duh, you probably meant the link for the FB group. Let me see if I can find it. I think they have it set to not be searchable

ETA2: http://www.facebook.com/groups/373668189318381/ Let me know if that doesnt work! Not everyone in that group will be in your class- one of the current first years added a bunch of first/second/third years for no reason that I can tell. Including me, and I have no idea why, although I appreciate the stalking opportunities ;)

It worked!! Now I just have to wait for someone to accept my request. I'll definitely probably want to look at some places when I come down to visit. Not sure when that will be exactly since I don't know if my mom will want to come with or not. Or even my sister if she's out of school soon. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated!

Members don't see this ad :)
It worked!! Now I just have to wait for someone to accept my request. I'll definitely probably want to look at some places when I come down to visit. Not sure when that will be exactly since I don't know if my mom will want to come with or not. Or even my sister if she's out of school soon. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated!

I apparently don't have accepting powers, because I don't see a request pending!

Definitely let us know when you plan to come down. I'll be around for most of May other than the week of the 7th. Also, not sure if Anna mentioned it, but the school will send around a housing list at some point, probably in June, with available rentals that like vet students.

ETA: I was just able to add Lissa to the group. So I don't know what kind of powers I have? Oh, technology.

I apparently don't have accepting powers, because I don't see a request pending!

Definitely let us know when you plan to come down. I'll be around for most of May other than the week of the 7th. Also, not sure if Anna mentioned it, but the school will send around a housing list at some point, probably in June, with available rentals that like vet students.

She did mention that. I think she said it will be in a giant packet they send out around June 1st or something along those lines. Now to work on this rabies vaccination process.

ETA: Did she send a request or did you send an invite to her? Cause I think anyone can invite people...not sure though.

She did mention that. I think she said it will be in a giant packet they send out around June 1st or something along those lines. Now to work on this rabies vaccination process.

ETA: Did she send a request or did you send an invite to her? Cause I think anyone can invite people...not sure though.

She sent a request, it said "approval pending" or something like that.

As for rabies- if you can't get it done ahead of time, no big deal. The school has a rabies vaccine clinic the first semester. Not sure of cost, since I was already vaccinated.

[insert lots of happy expletives] I got called off the alternate list today!!! :eek::D I'm a hot mess of emotions.

Don't worry about the rabies series yet. The school will take care of it after the semester starts. They set it up for you guys at the student health center. They also pay for half of it (at least they did when I was a first year).

YAY Orca!! I'm so excited you decided! You're going to love it there :love: and....YOU'RE GOING TO BE A VET THAT MUCH SOONER :D

I'm excited for you guys! I will try and type up a few good answers if I have anything to add to what cowgirla has said, but not on le phone. So later tonight.

Please tell me I can just look at Dr. R's old exams for path? I'm so tired of powerpoints...

Members don't see this ad :)
:banana: yay!!!! Have you officially said yes? I knew you didn't have that long!!

Not officially. I have the form sitting here, signed...staring at me. But I'm still hesitant. I'm super excited but a little more confused cause I just got an email from a veterinarian/professor at Penn asking me to come down pretty much for an interview for an internship at New Bolton that I applied to as sort of a plan B type thing for the year off. It's kind of just stirring up all the "what if" feelings. Ahhh. Why am I being so indecisive? Ah, I know what part of it is. Stupid lady problems start next week. Great timing. :annoyed:

Not officially. I have the form sitting here, signed...staring at me. But I'm still hesitant. I'm super excited but a little more confused cause I just got an email from a veterinarian/professor at Penn asking me to come down pretty much for an interview for an internship at New Bolton that I applied to as sort of a plan B type thing for the year off. It's kind of just stirring up all the "what if" feelings. Ahhh. Why am I being so indecisive? Ah, I know what part of it is. Stupid lady problems start next week. Great timing. :annoyed:

Have a few stiff drinks and mail that sucker!!

Oh, maybe I'll do that. Glass of wine or a Strongbow or two while I do laundry for my trip to PSU this weekend. Happen to know if they sell Strongbow at any of the stores down there? That would make me super happy.

I'm 90% sure they do. I don't drink it so can't say for sure, but I feel like I've seen it at the liquor stores.

Less hesitant now. The boyfriend spoke the magic words saying that I'd be silly to take a year off for a maybe.
ah, the power the words of a loved one have :D

Okay. Here is my massive post.

And I know I'm going to be busy, but I like to have options of things to do when I do have free time or people come to visit.

Look, if you want something to do in Stillwater during the weekend, you might have less to choose from than you are used to. There are stores to meet your needs and for a little bit of 'for fun' shopping, but if you want the traditional mall thing, you will have to head to Tulsa (about an hour and ten minutes to 71st street, which has lots of restaurants, big IMAX Cinemark, a mall with all the normal shops, Target, and your other standard sorts of stores like Gordman's, Barnes & Noble, blah blah blah. OKC has the same sort of stuff with a bit more variety - it's a bit more spread out but one hour and thirty minutes should probably get you anywhere you want to go. There is an outlet mall now - I like Coach and Banana Republic the best. :)

In Stillwater, there is a small (!!) JCPenney, a Best Buy, Ross, PetCo, Tuesday Morning, Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, Old Navy, The Buckle, American Eagle, Maurice's, Bath & Body Works... and they are opening an ULTA, a TJMAxx, and a Joann's Fabrics this summer. So it's not a lot, but it hits some of the high points. They will decide to build a Target right as I'm graduating - I just know it. :smuggrin:

I just don't like heat/humidity that much (and tornadoes but I'll let that go for now), which kind of sucks, but I guess I can get used to that.

It's sunny here most of the time. The summers will be hot, no doubt - hopefully not as hot as LAST summer, because that was a bit much. But it will be hot, so expect that. September and October are nice fall weather, and March, April, May are nice spring-y weather. Winters are variable - we didn't get any snow really this year... just a few day's of stuff on the ground, nothing that was hard to drive in or that closed the university. Last winter, however, there was a pretty deep one that caused 3-4 days out of class and some difficult travel. That's as bad as it gets.

It's windy here a lot. They didn't like about the whole "wind comes sweeping down the plains" part.

Also, OK State is one of my cheapest options and would save me like 100k if I either reapplied to other schools or go to Glasgow. Not sure I can say no to that.

Less loans for you is good. Plus cheap cost of living compared with pretty much wherever you are from - it seems like it's some of the cheapest in the country.

Here's a random question. AT&T service. Good reception or no? That's who I currently use and my contract is up the end of next month. Don't want to upgrade my phone if reception is going to blow.

I have used AT&T for several years. The reception is fine. Verizon and Sprint would be your other big options. As far as I know, they are all fine. AT&T used to only have Edge network out here - now there is 3G and it seems to work well (except in this one parking lot out by Ross and Texas Roadhouse - what's up with that?)

And a few more questions for you current students.
1) Obviously we know I'm scared of tornadoes. Could you guys just give a low down on how it all works down there. I know you have sirens and all but I have no idea how any of that works. When I toured Auburn, I was a little freaked out that one of the only shelters was on the vet campus and the students lived in mobile homes in parks several minutes from the school. Do the sirens give you enough warning to actually be able to drive somewhere or no? Also, can you find places with basements/storm cellars because I would prefer that to just hiding in a closet in the middle of my house. And yes, I'm getting ahead of myself, but since I don't deal with it pretty much ever, I'm definitely worried. I used to get almost physically sick just because of thunderstorms after seeing the movie Twister. I'm okay with thunderstorms now but freak out of any mention of tornadoes anywhere within a 30 minute radius of me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. PEOPLE. DO NOT LET THE POSSIBILITY OF TORNADOES SCARE YOU AWAY FROM APPLYING/ATTENDING OKSU OR KSU.

C'mon guys. Put on your big girl panties. The odds of your house/apt being hit by a tornado <<<<<< the odds of you being in a severe car crash... and yet you don't quake with fear every time you get into your car. I know tornadoes are scary because they seem unpredictable and big and scary... and you know what, yeah, they ARE big and scary. Rightfully so. But they are less and less unpredictable as the ability to forecast improves.

Here's a run-down of what happens.
  1. There is supposed to be severe weather - if you watch the news or check a weather app on your phone or the internet, you will know this in advance.
  2. You therefore watch the weather when it starts to get stormy so that you know what's going on.
  3. Gary England tells you that there is a good chance for rotation in this storm, so you are emotionally prepared for the possibility (lol).
  4. Okay, there is rotation and the storm is potentially headed your direction. Pack up the animals and either drive to the school right then or wait and see (or you may have a good place for shelter in your house, or a neighbor with a basement or storm cellar, blah blah).
  5. Tornado warning - it's official - the sirens go off. You still probably have plenty of time to get to the school. If you are staying, take shelter in a small room in your house with no exterior walls. Bathrooms are great, or a small hallway with no windows.
  6. Keep watching weather on phone or laptop if you can - or listen to the guy speak over the siren speaker system - he'll tell you what's up.
  7. All clear is given, because honestly, you probably wont have that .0001% chance of a tornado actually a: touching down, b: staying touched down, c: coming into Stillwater, d: coming into your part of Stillwater, e: hitting your neighborhood, and f: hitting your house or apt. It's just not likely.
  8. Go home, release the animals, go back to studying.

Maybe it's because I grew up here. You know how you guys had events in elementary school where people would talk to you about what to do in the case of a fire? Crawling on the ground, knowing where to exit your house, where the family should meet outside... well, we had that, but we also learned about tornado safety. Over and over and over. The meteorologists would come talk to the schools about being safe and where to go and how you should wear shoes, have a flashlight, etc. etc. so yeah... I think it's just been something that residents get really used to.

And Like I said before - like kaanderson, I have only seen one, in my life... it did touch down in my hometown pretty briefly and took out some houses. Maybe like seven or so. No one was killed or anything.

Basically, yeah, bad crap can happen. But it's not worth worrying about, just be prepared!

2) I was re-looking at the curriculum. I noticed the in 4th year it mentions non-OkSU clinics and special clinicis. I'm assuming "non-OkSU clinicis" means we do some rotations at other schools? Correct me if I'm wrong. And what are special clinicis??

I think I agree with cowgirla on that one. You can do preceptors that you choose (pretty much anywhere that allows for it) and then there are the normal rotations plus some elective rotations. That seems like something to do with the Rossies and Georgies that come here for their clinical rotations.

3) Obviously there is research going on at the school, do students get involved in it besides the summer program? I read a little bit about it in the threads posted by TT but just wanted more info. And do students ever get involved with research or anything going on at the main campus?

I think there are opportunities if you seek them. The labs in the vet school hire students sometimes - I know because I worked in one of the labs as an undergrad. There is a research elective that you can take starting 2nd year if you want. Also, the NIH program had about 6 professors on the list that were actually from main campus - a few in the Zoology dept and maybe some from engineering that were doing something with heart biomechanics or something like that. Plus, those labs hire too, and they would probably be glad to have a vet student.

Oh! Do vet students go to the football games??? I missed out on that in college, so I'm kind of excited about all that whole atmosphere even though I know a ton of people aren't.

Yeah, sure. As a student, you get discounted ticket prices. Don't worry - you will be inundated with emails from OSU Athletics come fall. And the stadium is massive and therefore easy to find. :)

When do you guys finish your semester? I would really like to try to come down before you guys finish up to get a tour of the school since I've never seen it and would feel wayy more comfortable seeing the school at least once. Do any of you think you would be able to put me up for a night or two if I visit?

Next week is 'dead week' a.k.a. the week before finals. After that is finals (obviously). So it's probably not the best time ever to visit - the 3rd years are done and are basically 4th years, clinics should wrap up in a couple weeks, and the 1st and 2nd years are all freaking the f out about finals (or maybe just me, haha).

I will be gone for a week in May, but otherwise I'd be around and happy to show anyone around. I don't have a place for folks to sleep (a couch, yeah, but probably not ideal). If someone is in a huge pinch, I could possibly get a room at La Quinta (husband + rewards program).

Another question. How's parking at the school (should I live further away)? I currently share a car with my sister who is a freshman in college, but my parents would most likely let me have the car since she doesn't really need it. And also, how necessary is it to have a car should it somehow fall through.

Parking is fine - the permit is like... they keep changing the price... like $60 or something. I always show up late and I can park just fine. At the very beginning of the year, it would be a pain sometimes, but as more people intermittently skip class and stuff, it's much easier. So maybe a pain for the perpetually late (e.g. me) for the first 3 weeks or so.

I wouldn't be able to get by without a car. If I lived in the neighborhood where cowgirla does, I could get by perhaps... I'd like to be able to make a jaunt to Walmart when I want, and that's not really walkable. You could bike to an extent, but the town isn't really ideal for that either.

So you would be okay without a car, assuming you could get rides with classmates from time to time, but you will want one eventually. And if you end up looking for places to live further from campus, you'll need one.

Plus the run with the animals to the vet school when the tornado sirens are going off would possibly be a very wet one, and hail usually comes along with tornado weather...

Wait to get the shots, unless you have good health insurance now and will lose it soon. You have to have health insurance at school - they offer a plan. If you get the shots here along with everyone else, it's about $350 (1/2 normal price) and everyone does it at the same time.

Oh, maybe I'll do that. Glass of wine or a Strongbow or two while I do laundry for my trip to PSU this weekend. Happen to know if they sell Strongbow at any of the stores down there? That would make me super happy.

Yeeees, they sell Strongbow, Woodchuck, Hornsby's, Waltons, and Ace at Brown's Bottle Shop. You are set. You just have to chill it before you drink it. :)

Any more questions, just fire away.

Last edited:
Don't worry, TT. Just emailed my acceptance form. Doesn't look like I'm letting the tornadoes get in my way. Just know that I will freak out the first time the sirens go off...possibly even when it's just a test.

Don't worry, TT. Just emailed my acceptance form. Doesn't look like I'm letting the tornadoes get in my way. Just know that I will freak out the first time the sirens go off...possibly even when it's just a test.
I hope you don't freak out when they test them because you will probably be in a class :laugh:

I hope you don't freak out when they test them because you will probably be in a class :laugh:

Hahaha. That will probably happen. Although I did have alarms go off during one of my classes all the time freshman year because they routinely tested my college's alert system for if there is any sort of danger on campus. None of us knew about it the first time and all thought the building was going to blow up or something.

It's at 11:30am on the first Tuesday of every month. They delay it if there's stormy weather at that time so they don't scare anyone. So, clear clue skies and sirens = okay.

It's at 11:30am on the first Tuesday of every month. They delay it if there's stormy weather at that time so they don't scare anyone. So, clear clue skies and sirens = okay.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably have to label it in a planner or something because I'll most likely forget and then jump and spill coffee or water on myself...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably have to label it in a planner or something because I'll most likely forget and then jump and spill coffee or water on myself...

If you come visit I'll show you how close the one is to my house. That's how I'm so aware of testing times - can't miss it.

You can't hear it inside the school that well - you might notice it but it shouldn't make you jump. And that's probably where you'd be at 11:30 on a Tuesday. :)

Just got my call :D:D:D

I will be declining it most likely, but it is a tough decision so I have to think first! :cool:

Just got my call :D:D:D

I will be declining it most likely, but it is a tough decision so I have to think first! :cool:
Weren't you the one that wanted to wear FSU colors/logos to school? ;)

Congrats no matter what you decide!

Weren't you the one that wanted to wear FSU colors/logos to school? ;)

Congrats no matter what you decide!

Well, half of my attire is FSU stuff so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on the new dress code at UF where I can't wear garnet and gold :smuggrin:.

Last edited:
Garnet and gold is like cardinal and gold. Very pretty colors if I say so myself!

Yay equitate! I was pulling for you!

Thanks, Lissarae! I'm beyond excited! :D

Congrats, orca! Looks like we'll be meeting in the fall! Congrats to Emiloo, too, even if you won't be joining us it is still a great accomplishment!

(Wow. So many exclamation points in one post. I! Can't! Help! It! This is just so fun:laugh:)

PS - Thank you for your response to my last question, TT! Work has been nuts and made the past couple of weeks like a whirlwind so I know I didn't get to respond but I appreciated your answer!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I got off the wait list on Monday and thought I'd de-lurk and introduce myself! I'm still in a bit of shock about getting in. I'm a non-traditional applicant (Computer Science major, currently a programmer at IBM) and I got turned down by my in-state, so I wasn't very hopeful. I'm sure I'll have some questions for y'all once the whirlwind stops, but until then congratulations to everyone that got in, and I guess I'll be meeting y'all in the fall :)

Oh my god, guys. Totally just got called off the waitlist. Totally in shock.

Thanks guys! I am planning to accept the offer, and then I can start having anxiety attacks about moving (back) across the country and uprooting my entire life (again) and leaving my boyfriend behind for at least a year oh god oh god oh god. *hives*

Also, who needs a roommate? ;) Also I need to find a place to live and keep my horse and get ready to bring all the cats. Eeeek.

Thanks guys! I am planning to accept the offer, and then I can start having anxiety attacks about moving (back) across the country and uprooting my entire life (again) and leaving my boyfriend behind for at least a year oh god oh god oh god. *hives*

Also, who needs a roommate? ;) Also I need to find a place to live and keep my horse and get ready to bring all the cats. Eeeek.

Me most likely. Haha. I'd love to live by myself, but I also like the idea of having another person in the house with me. Sometimes it gets too quiet.

Me most likely. Haha. I'd love to live by myself, but I also like the idea of having another person in the house with me. Sometimes it gets too quiet.

I know - I've lived with my boyfriend for almost 4 years, so as much as I appreciate my alone time, there is such a thing as too much. At least I'll have my kitties to keep me company! Although we're going to have to figure out if I'm bringing all 4, or if the boyfriend's kitty (who is really mine, but loves him better) is staying with him!

I know - I've lived with my boyfriend for almost 4 years, so as much as I appreciate my alone time, there is such a thing as too much. At least I'll have my kitties to keep me company! Although we're going to have to figure out if I'm bringing all 4, or if the boyfriend's kitty (who is really mine, but loves him better) is staying with him!

I'm not bringing any critters. =( My dog is really the family dog, and I think he'd die if I took him away from my mom. He's attached to her hip. I'm sure I'll end up with some sort of critter though. I'd love to get my own corgi, but not sure I'll have time for a dog right away. Maybe a cat. Or some guinea pigs. I miss having guinea pigs.

http://www.rockingeboarding.com/ My training horse was here for a while and I was very happy with the care. The "gelding barn" is all small in and outs, and then group turnout.
I think you'll be quite pleased with board costs around here! There are definitely dirt cheap places, or places with more turnout, depending on what you are looking for.

Some other vet students have mentioned http://www.nobleacres.net/page/page/6958835.htm And http://www.stillwaterkennelclub.org/vvec/

You won't find many big name trainers for lessons or anything like that, but I think these are the three main English barns in town.

I'm not bringing any critters. =( My dog is really the family dog, and I think he'd die if I took him away from my mom. He's attached to her hip. I'm sure I'll end up with some sort of critter though. I'd love to get my own corgi, but not sure I'll have time for a dog right away. Maybe a cat. Or some guinea pigs. I miss having guinea pigs.

Well you'd have three awesome kitties to snuggle if you live with me! :D

http://www.rockingeboarding.com/ My training horse was here for a while and I was very happy with the care. The "gelding barn" is all small in and outs, and then group turnout.
I think you'll be quite pleased with board costs around here! There are definitely dirt cheap places, or places with more turnout, depending on what you are looking for.

Some other vet students have mentioned http://www.nobleacres.net/page/page/6958835.htm And http://www.stillwaterkennelclub.org/vvec/

You won't find many big name trainers for lessons or anything like that, but I think these are the three main English barns in town.

Thanks for the tips! Obviously, finding a good barn is my top priority. ;) My horse will have some serious adjusting to do.

Just got called off the waitlist !!! It still has not sunk in! Very ready to be an OSU student!!:)