Oklahoma State c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, does anyone know how difficult it is to establish residency in Oklahoma is? What are the rules exactly? Thanks!
Must not be a student and worked full time at one job for a full year prior to matriculation. You provide your income tax, show DL and other such things. Or you marry an Okie.

Members don't see this ad.

Must not be a student and worked full time at one job for a full year prior to matriculation. You provide your income tax, show DL and other such things. Or you marry an Okie.
So if I was admitted, I can't technically try to establish residency because I will already be a student? Unless I try and defer a year?

So if I was admitted, I can't technically try to establish residency because I will already be a student? Unless I try and defer a year?

You would have needed to be in the state and working a full time job this past August to make the year long deadline, and I don't believe OK allows deferring simply to establish residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would have needed to be in the state and working a full time job this past August to make the year long deadline, and I don't believe OK allows deferring simply to establish residency.
Okay I understand now. Thank you for your reply!! Hope to hear from them soon

Hey guys, does anyone know how difficult it is to establish residency in Oklahoma is? What are the rules exactly? Thanks!

Basically, you have to work full time in the state for a year (and jump through all the correct hoops, like switching your tag and DL, filing taxes correctly, etc.). You can't be a student more than part time.

Of course you should look into it yourself, but I'm pretty sure that's the jist of it, anyway.

Finally got an interview invite :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully someone can answer this for me. If I took the Clep test for a required class I didn't do good , and I passed the test, does OSU not count you passing the test when they look at your grades?

Hopefully someone can answer this for me. If I took the Clep test for a required class I didn't do good , and I passed the test, does OSU not count you passing the test when they look at your grades?

Do you mean you took a pre-req and got lower than a C so took a Clep?

Yes. I took the test since the class wouldn't fit in my schedule and my advisor said it would be better than just not taking the class.
Do you mean you took a pre-req and got lower than a C so took a Clep?

ETA: Kay, I got ahold of Joyce and she said as long as you pass a CLEP, all is good. :)

oh thank god. So do I need to call them or send an email asking about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I applied to OSU and got an interview invite today. I am really interested in hearing more from students -- about the first year especially. Hope to find some good info on this forum! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody! I'm currently a first year student and I'm really enjoying it...let me know if you have any questions! I was in your shoes last year :)
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your first year! Do you have any advice? Maybe schedule information for 1st semesters? Thanks for posting!

Hi everyone,

I applied to OSU and got an interview invite today. I am really interested in hearing more from students -- about the first year especially. Hope to find some good info on this forum! Good luck to everyone!

We are a three years of lecture one year of clinics with various hospital hands on sprinkled in starting first semester. Plenty of clubs with excellent opportunities to learn from guest lecturers and wet labs. First year is generally the hardest as people learn how to get through the massive amount of info and how to balance their lives. If you have any specific questions, I am around quite a bit. :)

Here are the fall and spring day to day schedules from this years class:

Attachments

• Year1 schedule.docx
    513.7 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 2 users
We are a three years of lecture one year of clinics with various hospital hands on sprinkled in starting first semester. Plenty of clubs with excellent opportunities to learn from guest lecturers and wet labs. First year is generally the hardest as people learn how to get through the massive amount of info and how to balance their lives. If you have any specific questions, I am around quite a bit. :)

I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this question, but I'm really interesting in doing a DVM/MPH dual degree program. I know Oklahoma State offers an MPH, but I can't find anything on the vet school's website about a dual degree. Do you know of any students who have done this or if it's possible at all with their DVM program? Thanks!

I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this question, but I'm really interesting in doing a DVM/MPH dual degree program. I know Oklahoma State offers an MPH, but I can't find anything on the vet school's website about a dual degree. Do you know of any students who have done this or if it's possible at all with their DVM program? Thanks!

Yes. I am actually a DVM/phd student. I don't know anyone in the masters, but it is available. You complete the first two years of DVM then go into the secondary degree for a year, two in my case. Then finish DVM. @Zensing is completing her masters currently, but she is different as well that she started out phd then wanted to do a master's as well. She is going to OU though as her desired interest was outside Okstate's. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to elaborate. :)

Yes. I am actually a DVM/phd student. I don't know anyone in the masters, but it is available. You complete the first two years of DVM then go into the secondary degree for a year, two in my case. Then finish DVM. @Zensing is completing her masters currently, but she is different as well that she started out phd then wanted to do a master's as well. She is going to OU though as her desired interest was outside Okstate's. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to elaborate. :)
Okay, thanks! How do you like the DVM/PhD combination? Is it manageable? I've considered doing that too, but I'm afraid it could be way too much to handle.

Okay, thanks! How do you like the DVM/PhD combination? Is it manageable? I've considered doing that too, but I'm afraid it could be way too much to handle.
I graduated with a guy that did 2 years DVM work, took a year to work on PhD, finished DVM with our class, and is now finishing his PhD. It's a long road but doable.

It has its ups and downs. Research is a fickle mistress. I love it when things are going well, but it is rare. I get frustrated and think about if I had simply gone straight DVM and would be graduating in a year instead of trying to make headway on my current project, but I have a great support group that keeps me motivated after a couple days of moping about. People all have a different tolerance for how much is too much. You will surprise yourself more often than not what determination and grit gets you through. Some make it and some don't, just like anything. That can be said of vet school, not just dvm/phd.

It has its ups and downs. Research is a fickle mistress. I love it when things are going well, but it is rare. I get frustrated and think about if I had simply gone straight DVM and would be graduating in a year instead of trying to make headway on my current project, but I have a great support group that keeps me motivated after a couple days of moping about. People all have a different tolerance for how much is too much. You will surprise yourself more often than not what determination and grit gets you through. Some make it and some don't, just like anything. That can be said of vet school, not just dvm/phd.
If it helps, the first year out was rough, but the second is easier. You'll always have research buddies for support :D.

Back to @ekcook: Sorry for taking a while to respond. Oklahoma State currently has a DVM/MPH program. The MPH specializes in rural and underserved population medicine. The MPH link is here, and a link about some veterinary students in the dual program is here.

When I started the DVM/PhD program, I wanted to get a PhD in epidemiology. That wasn't, and still isn't, offered at Okstate. OU has the program, but requires an MPH or MS in a relevant field first. I really wanted to do epidemiology, so I went to OU for the MPH. I'll go back to OU for a PhD once I finish veterinary school.

An additional note is that, as far as I can tell, Okstate's MPH program is not accredited. At least part of it is because it's new (I've heard that a school needs to have graduated so many students before it can be accredited by the ASPH). OU's program is. I don't know the details about accreditation and what it means, but the SDN Public Health forums could probably help, if you're interested.

I'm excited that you're applying to Oklahoma State! Good luck, and enjoy this semester!

If it helps, the first year out was rough, but the second is easier. You'll always have research buddies for support :D.

Back to @ekcook: Sorry for taking a while to respond. Oklahoma State currently has a DVM/MPH program. The MPH specializes in rural and underserved population medicine. The MPH link is here, and a link about some veterinary students in the dual program is here.

When I started the DVM/PhD program, I wanted to get a PhD in epidemiology. That wasn't, and still isn't, offered at Okstate. OU has the program, but requires an MPH or MS in a relevant field first. I really wanted to do epidemiology, so I went to OU for the MPH. I'll go back to OU for a PhD once I finish veterinary school.

An additional note is that, as far as I can tell, Okstate's MPH program is not accredited. At least part of it is because it's new (I've heard that a school needs to have graduated so many students before it can be accredited by the ASPH). OU's program is. I don't know the details about accreditation and what it means, but the SDN Public Health forums could probably help, if you're interested.

I'm excited that you're applying to Oklahoma State! Good luck, and enjoy this semester!
Okay, that's super helpful. Thank you! So were you able to do your DVM at OkState and the MPH at OU at the same time? (Sorry for the million questions, but this is one of my contract schools and I feel like I know nothing about it since I haven't visited yet and they don't interview non-residents.)

Okay, that's super helpful. Thank you! So were you able to do your DVM at OkState and the MPH at OU at the same time? (Sorry for the million questions, but this is one of my contract schools and I feel like I know nothing about it since I haven't visited yet and they don't interview non-residents.)
By "same time", I mean "taking a year off of the DVM to do an MPH". My case is different since I'm working on the DVM/PhD program. I'd be happy to PM details, if you want them.

If you want more information on Okstate's DVM/MPH program, I'd contact some of the people at admissions (Joyce Axton or Robin Williams) and ask. If they don't have the details, they can forward you to someone who can.

BH? Funny fella. Played game night the other night and he was in attendance.
Yep. He definitely provided some laughs 3rd and 4th year.

Does anyone know when OOS will hear anything? And do they typically call or mail acceptances/denials/wait list letters?

Does anyone know when OOS will hear anything? And do they typically call or mail acceptances/denials/wait list letters?
All decisions (IS and OOS accepted/waitlist/no go) get sent at the same time. Should be email again this year. Date is usually first of March as official, but has consistently been last week of Feb last 2-3 years. IS interviews are next Thurs and Fri. :)

All decisions (IS and OOS accepted/waitlist/no go) get sent at the same time. Should be email again this year. Date is usually first of March as official, but has consistently been last week of Feb last 2-3 years. IS interviews are next Thurs and Fri. :)
Awesome thank you!

Speaking of IS interviews, I'm SO excited to be interviewing next Friday!!! (And also a bit nervous.) Any particular words of wisdom from current or former students about interviewing at Oklahoma State??? :)

Speaking of IS interviews, I'm SO excited to be interviewing next Friday!!! (And also a bit nervous.) Any particular words of wisdom from current or former students about interviewing at Oklahoma State??? :)
It is set up with a faculty member, fourth year and a local clinician. It was open as far as they looked at my PS and likely knew my stats when I interviewed, so not sure if that changed. Doubt it. Mixture of behavioral questions, get to know you questions, and general knowledge based questions. Typical advice involves taking your time to think, answer intelligently and don't simply try to give an answer you think they are looking for because you will have to back up your stance.

It goes by really fast, so just keep breathing. I have seen on the other side people forgetting that and getting all panicky and rushed fighting for air without realizing what is happening. Other than that, just be yourself. The best version of course, haha! Smile, make eye contact, shake hands firmly, and use your manners. Piece of cake!! :laugh::highfive::luck:

I actually enjoyed my interview. I was so stressed going into it and felt really good after. We started as an interview, but not super formal and ended just talking and joking around at the end. I was lucky and got a faculty member that I really clicked with and when I accidently answered a question sarcastically they all took it as a joke. I guess, mainly just be yourself. I brought a little portfolio thing it to write down the interviewers names to send a thank you card, but I never had a time that it wouldn't have been awkward to write the names down so I never did. So I'd recommend not to bring anything in with you. I didn't get any weird questions, like what shape would you be and why, mainly a couple about me personally, one about a story I bright up in my personal statement, one about animal welfare vs animal rights, and one about what a zoonotic disease was and to name one found in Oklahoma. Luckily one of the doctors I had teched for did a PhD in parasitology so I had learned quite a few. Good luck!

I actually enjoyed my interview. I was so stressed going into it and felt really good after. We started as an interview, but not super formal and ended just talking and joking around at the end. I was lucky and got a faculty member that I really clicked with and when I accidently answered a question sarcastically they all took it as a joke. I guess, mainly just be yourself. I brought a little portfolio thing it to write down the interviewers names to send a thank you card, but I never had a time that it wouldn't have been awkward to write the names down so I never did. So I'd recommend not to bring anything in with you. I didn't get any weird questions, like what shape would you be and why, mainly a couple about me personally, one about a story I bright up in my personal statement, one about animal welfare vs animal rights, and one about what a zoonotic disease was and to name one found in Oklahoma. Luckily one of the doctors I had teched for did a PhD in parasitology so I had learned quite a few. Good luck!
s

Good to know! Thanks!

Wow thanks Lupin21 for the great information!

My interview is tomorrow, hope it goes well! Good luck everyone :)

Hoping this coming week will be it! I am so excited and nervous waiting for that email!

Hopefully, it looks like the e-mails went out Feb. 24th last year, so there's a good chance.

The info sheet we received at the interview said decisions will be emailed February 25-26. Gonna be a long week! :nailbiting:

The info sheet we received at the interview said decisions will be emailed February 25-26. Gonna be a long week! :nailbiting:
Thank you for sharing that! I'm getting a bit neurotic waiting for this school and another to announce; so it helps to know that there is a specific window.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is that just for Oklahoma residents or for out of state people, too? Good luck everyone!

Is that just for Oklahoma residents or for out of state people, too? Good luck everyone!
All results go out at the same time, IS and OOS. Good luck, all!

:luck::xf::luck:

Also, lots of people get on the Waitlist, especially IS until final transcripts are in, so don't panic if that is your result. :)

Check your emails!! Just got my acceptance. OOS

Reactions: 3 users