Oklahoma State c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED OOS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted IS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Current students: would you mind answering a couple of questions for me?
-what is the surgery experience like? Is there opportunity for spay experience? If so, how many do you typically get to do?
-I'm interested in shelter medicine. Is there a shelter rotation/elective and what is the experience like?
-I know this question has been asked before, but how is it living in Stillwater?

I'm going to be deciding between a few different schools so any insight/pros/cons you can give me I would really appreciate! The smaller class size is definitely appealing...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! OOS

-what is the surgery experience like? Is there opportunity for spay experience? If so, how many do you typically get to do?
-I'm interested in shelter medicine. Is there a shelter rotation/elective and what is the experience like?
-I know this question has been asked before, but how is it living in Stillwater?

I'm going to be deciding between a few different schools so any insight/pros/cons you can give me I would really appreciate! The smaller class size is definitely appealing...
@twelvetigers is likely the best to answer the first couple Qs. @HorsesRLife is finishing up third year to offer that prospective for you.

As far as living in Stillwater, it all depends on where you are coming from. I was raised in a small town of 2500, moved to NYC, then lived outside Austin, then spent 10 years in LA before moving here. It is small but not a s small where I grew up. Definitely lacking from the perspective of having anything and everything I could ever desire at my fingertips. Falls in the lower middle.

Has a couple walmarts, couple different grocery store options, it's a college town so plenty of OSU sports for that fix. OKC and Tulsa are close enough to relieve any smaller city living twitches. It is pretty and very low key which is conducive to the vet student lifestyle.

Waitlist IS

Also, lots of people get on the Waitlist, especially IS until final transcripts are in, so don't panic if that is your result. :)

So, does this mean that the IS class isn't fully accepted until after a review of spring grades? Or is it a standard waitlist situation where waitlist candidates are just used to fill declined spots? Thanks for the clarification!

@twelvetigers is likely the best to answer the first couple Qs. @HorsesRLife is finishing up third year to offer that prospective for you.

As far as living in Stillwater, it all depends on where you are coming from. I was raised in a small town of 2500, moved to NYC, then lived outside Austin, then spent 10 years in LA before moving here. It is small but not a s small where I grew up. Definitely lacking from the perspective of having anything and everything I could ever desire at my fingertips. Falls in the lower middle.

Has a couple walmarts, couple different grocery store options, it's a college town so plenty of OSU sports for that fix. OKC and Tulsa are close enough to relieve any smaller city living twitches. It is pretty and very low key which is conducive to the vet student lifestyle.
Thanks for the information!!! I've been a city dweller my whole life, so a move to a small town is definitely going to be an adjustment. I'm hoping I will be able to attend the open house or at least make a trip up there to see the town before I make my decision. Eating out/going to breweries is one of my favorite things to do and I'm spoiled with options currently.

Anyone other than me not get any kind of email at all? In the emails it said that they would email accepted, wait-listed, AND declined.

Junior surgery is third year. The first part of fall semester involves some surgeries on cadaver dogs to get comfortable with the instruments, with sterile technique, basic suture, and a few procedures (S/N, anastomoses, cystotomy, enucleation, and dental extractions are what I recall). After that you do some live surgeries while filling different roles - anesthesia, assistant, or primary surgeon. You will do three spays and three castrations as a primary surgeon before third year ends. You will have a chance to sign up for additional surgeries if you want, but those are limited.

There is a shelter rotation during fourth year that will net you at least two spays or neuters a day for three weeks. It's a lot like junior surgery except you get treated more like a big kid.

To maximize surgery experience, seek an off campus rotation with a city SPCA program. You could do Tulsa or OKC, or head wherever you have family to stay with. That will get you lots of experience.

Also, there is a TNR program that you can become active with (Operation Catnip) and you can move up to doing surgeries during late third and fourth year.

Stillwater is small and kinda boring, but very safe and fairly diverse for being in the middle of Oklahoma. You will get along just fine, just like all the other OOS kids from all over have been before you.

Again, go wherever is cheapest for you. Factor in cost of living. Resort to nitpicking about the towns and class sizes only if the overall cost difference between schools is less than $10k total.

Is there an accepted student day? I was hoping to come check out the school before I make my decision.

Waitlist IS

So, does this mean that the IS class isn't fully accepted until after a review of spring grades? Or is it a standard waitlist situation where waitlist candidates are just used to fill declined spots? Thanks for the clarification!

Not real sure on that. Best thing to do for yourself is to get a great last semester in and know that your chance of getting off the waitlist is very good. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there multiple waves? Or have all the acceptances gone out and the next to hear are wait listers and those denied? Asking for a friend!

Are there multiple waves? Or have all the acceptances gone out and the next to hear are wait listers and those denied? Asking for a friend!
I'm in the same boat!

Is there a forum or Facebook group for current and incoming students? I need to find housing that accepts a Great Dane.

Is there a forum or Facebook group for current and incoming students? I need to find housing that accepts a Great Dane.

Anna will set up the Facebook page for you guys. Can't recall when she gets that done, but you will have plenty of housing opportunities and a classmate of mine has two great danes, so no worries. :)

I'm in the same boat!

They are in the middle of sending OOS. Hang on tight! :corny:

OOS Alternate! I got my email about 15 minutes ago.

I got denied, but that's ok because I'm still going to vet school, just not at Oklahoma. Congrats to all accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted Delaware contract!

Yay congrats everyone. I think most questions were already answered. TT answered the surgery question well. I feel like compared to island schools we get a lot more surgery experience, but I've heard some schools will start you on surgery earlier in the curriculum. I don't think I've lacked anything by waiting until 3rd year. I'm on intro to clinics for radiology and just got to see a fluoro PDA repair which was pretty cool. They also have a food animal surgery course where you either get to do a c section or exploratory on a cow if you're interested in large animal.

Yay congrats everyone. I think most questions were already answered. TT answered the surgery question well. I feel like compared to island schools we get a lot more surgery experience, but I've heard some schools will start you on surgery earlier in the curriculum. I don't think I've lacked anything by waiting until 3rd year. I'm on intro to clinics for radiology and just got to see a fluoro PDA repair which was pretty cool. They also have a food animal surgery course where you either get to do a c section or exploratory on a cow if you're interested in large animal.

I guess I will say that if you want to do large animal or equine, then get involved early, like with clubs and electives. I had a couple friends that didn't make it into the advanced electives third year because they just weren't the most active in things before, plus a bit of bad luck. There's not enough space for everyone.

They used to wait for a student to create the group but now they want to make sure they have primary control over who is admitted and what is posted. Ever since I started the group for 2015. Guess I posted a couple things they didn't like? Well.

:evil:

Also, OOS waitlisted. Excited that there is still hope at receiving an acceptance for this cycle but all this waiting is killing me, lol.

Do they do tracking at ok state? I tried looking online but didn't see anything about it.

Accepted! The email was in my junk mail so I just found it haha :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! I may have a stupid question; however, I want to make sure I am comparing apples with apples with regards to tuition/living costs between different schools. Thus, the monetary value ($38,901 for OOS) on the bursar office site (here) is just that – tuition and fees. It is not the total cost of attendance, right? If so, then where can I find COA for OKState? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Do any current students have an interest in lab animal medicine? I'm looking to pursue a career in this and am trying to find out what opportunities might be available. I asked at my interview and they said besides the one elective it would be up to me to find opportunities. Just curious if anyone has gone down this road or knows of a professor who could answer some questions for me!

Do any current students have an interest in lab animal medicine? I'm looking to pursue a career in this and am trying to find out what opportunities might be available. I asked at my interview and they said besides the one elective it would be up to me to find opportunities. Just curious if anyone has gone down this road or knows of a professor who could answer some questions for me!

Someone from my class got a residency at the primate facility in Davis. Another went... Oh somewhere good. I can't remember now because we aren't friends on FB or anything. Anyway, the lab animal guy (vet) is a good resource, and there are a few opportunities besides the elective. They can also help you pick some good preceptors in the field for fourth year.

Someone from my class got a residency at the primate facility in Davis. Another went... Oh somewhere good. I can't remember now because we aren't friends on FB or anything. Anyway, the lab animal guy (vet) is a good resource, and there are a few opportunities besides the elective. They can also help you pick some good preceptors in the field for fourth year.
Thanks! Do you have any idea what the lab animal vet's name is?

Hi guy! I may have a stupid question; however, I want to make sure I am comparing apples with apples with regards to tuition/living costs between different schools. Thus, the monetary value ($38,901 for OOS) on the bursar office site (here) is just that – tuition and fees. It is not the total cost of attendance, right? If so, then where can I find COA for OKState? Thanks in advance!
I think any extra costs would be elective fees (usually only associated with large animal classes), textbooks, club dues are the only other school related costs you'll run into.

So I am currently deciding between Oklahoma and one other school. Could any current students tell me what sold them on Oklahoma/What their favorite part of the school is? And what is something you don't like about the school/you wish you could change about it? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

So I am currently deciding between Oklahoma and one other school. Could any current students tell me what sold them on Oklahoma/What their favorite part of the school is? And what is something you don't like about the school/you wish you could change about it? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I enjoy the COA being so low. I love that I am living in a house that has a big backyard for my animals and don't have a roommate because I am much happier on my own. As far as the school goes, I like that the hospital is so accessible and tons of opportunities through clubs to explore and hone interests.

I despise first year classroom.

I made a pros and cons list somewhere in the Factors when choosing a school if you feel like finding that. Probably posted in one of these OK c/o threads as well. :)

Found it:

OKState

Pros:
- smaller class size
- excellent all around education/ no tracking but still plenty of opportunities for all interests including active ZEW club
- Lots of labs for clubs, but can be more competitive to get into for equine/FA. Like anything, will equals a way if you really want to go
- Everything is in one corner of university campus, Lecture hall right beside animals hospital. Interaction with undergrad is only if you want to go to that side of campus.
- 24 hour access to school
- All lectures (except occasional clinicians/ 1 first year teacher who may or may not retire soon) recorded
- Hands on experience starts first year first semester with basic animal science/behavior class including doing goat castrations
- Access to hospital is also always open to all students, so invites to attend rounds and shadowing is worth taking advantage of early
- Exceptional office staff takes care of you. Anna, Joyce and Robin are simply marvelous. Everyone is always willing to lend an ear or a hand. Example: I was frantically looking for my clipboard without success to take an anatomy test, and one of our office people, (Judy to be specific) grabbed one of hers and gave it to me without hesitation.
- Access to the Colvin Center is free for students with tons of free classes and events for health and fitness as well as some cheap ones for the more adventurous as well as IM sports
- Research opportunities are available for those interested. NIH/Merial summer research program is a good way just to explore what it is like for those who never had any experience with it. It is a paid summer job and is open to anyone to try it out for three months. I am currently a dual candidate for DVM/PhD, which is available after second year should anyone feel like it is a career path. (feel free to direct specific Q's to me if you want more info)
- If you like parasitology, we have an excellent program with one of the premier professors in Dr. Little
- Good FA and equine opportunities
- Cheap living
- Small city (con for people looking for citified excitement, although ~1 hr to either OKC or Tulsa for some relief)

Cons:
- Older classroom for 1st year. Uncomfy seats and a little too cozy for my liking
- No food options on vet side of campus. You have to bring food or venture a ways off ****UPDATE: Food truck is now available, alleviating some of this problem.********
- rough transition from what I've heard getting third year and fourth year rotations and information set up (other's can chime in here for clarification)
- Not that much diversity in culture if that is something you value. We have clubs supporting this, but it is mostly OK and surrounding state demographics here. (This also includes food options. Ethnic food stuffs is better sought out in OKC)
- We had a high failure rate for first years, but this is being
addressed through hiring students as tutors as soon as trouble is spotted and was fairly successful this past semester.
- I'm sure TT/cowgirlA/Lissarae can fill more in here. I don't do enough outside my own niche to have much more to add, and I haven't completed the number of years she has. :prof:

As far as 4th year getting it set up, they just took longer this year than usual, but I got everything I wanted and I even ended up changing an elective without any hassle.

As far as 4th year getting it set up, they just took longer this year than usual, but I got everything I wanted and I even ended up changing an elective without any hassle.
I think I wrote this last year and was getting an earful from the '16ers, so they hopefully were better this year.

Hey everyone! I have a few questions about Oklahoma if anyone knows the answers. Are there many good housing options near the vet school? I would be interested in something like an apartment/house where I could have a roommate or 2, within walking distance.
Also are there any OOSers who fly in to go to school? Is the town easy to navigate if you don't have a car? Is it easy to get from Oklahoma City airport to Stillwater by bus / taxi?

Thanks is advance :)

Hey everyone! I have a few questions about Oklahoma if anyone knows the answers. Are there many good housing options near the vet school? I would be interested in something like an apartment/house where I could have a roommate or 2, within walking distance.
Also are there any OOSers who fly in to go to school? Is the town easy to navigate if you don't have a car? Is it easy to get from Oklahoma City airport to Stillwater by bus / taxi?

Thanks is advance :)
Plenty of housing close to the school. There is a good bus system, but I would never be without my car, so I am about as biased in that aspect as it gets. I would recommend asking on the Facebook page if anyone can give you a lift from the airport flying in. A number of people are back and forth enough that it is more advisable to buy a meal or a six pack as repayment. OOS people fly in if they don't bring a vehicle down full of their stuff. If you don't bring stuff, that isn't an issue as craigslist and fourth years graduating have plenty for sale for a new start. :)

You need a car. It's a small, semi-rural town with a lot of young people in it. Too hot to bike everywhere, plus (despite the town's insistence that it is bike friendly) it isn't the safest to ride around. Meaning, the drivers may share the road, but perhaps not well, and some roads are just plain unsafe for that. There are bike lanes in campus and that's about it.

And the buses are also on campus mostly, plus some that go out into town. Transferring from an off-campus bus line to the black line would take time... So you could do a bus from an apartment, then switch to another bus to go over to the vet school - takes 30 min at least. Or, you drive and it takes 5. Parking permits are under $200 a year. No reason not to.

Plenty of houses close enough to walk to school, usually rented by vetties. Use the Facebook group to find roomies, and join the upperclassmen's group for more opportunities there.

Can any current students tell me more about the DVM/PhD program? What its like, how it works, pros/cons?

Can any current students tell me more about the DVM/PhD program? What its like, how it works, pros/cons?
I am a current dual student. You cannot apply to the program until after your first year of vet. Then you apply and complete second year vet and transition into PhD that summer after second year. You can take one year or two years off to get classes and work done, then complete years 3 & 4 DVM. Then you finish PhD.