This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a great specialty but hard as hell to get in and the journey is long. Top 5 and you might not even place. If you do get in, it might be in middle of nowhere school...but def. a good specialty, but they def put in their "time" to reap the rewards.

Well said! If you feel that staying in dentistry is your way of making a living or a fortune, then this specialty is no doubt a very lucrative one.
However, it's a long road with really hard training, you surely will get your reward (monetarily or egotistically, or anything else along the way), but if your sole purpose is to make money, there are other ways of making big money. Plus, during training your salary will only get you by, so you are missing out on the 4 or 6 yrs of earning potential.

On the other hand, a financial research associate with the potential to either go into brokerage or into analyst can start at about 200K plus bonus (~50K), way less schooling and total time wasted. A Bachelor, some work experiences, and then a solid MBA program will get you there. Becoming a broker for investment product in a firm will start you at 300 - 500K, whereas being an analyst can get you some real top dollar starting at 500K (back 10 yrs, when the regulation weren't as stringent, analyst could clock in CRAZY amount of dollars, we are talking millions.). And the good thing is you don't lose 4 or 6 yrs of decent incomes like in the case of OMFS.

Again, pick your poison...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well said! If you feel that staying in dentistry is your way of making a living or a fortune, then this specialty is no doubt a very lucrative one.
However, it's a long road with really hard training, you surely will get your reward (monetarily or egotistically, or anything else along the way), but if your sole purpose is to make money, there are other ways of making big money. Plus, during training your salary will only get you by, so you are missing out on the 4 or 6 yrs of earning potential.

On the other hand, a financial research associate with the potential to either go into brokerage or into analyst can start at about 200K plus bonus (~50K), way less schooling and total time wasted. A Bachelor, some work experiences, and then a solid MBA program will get you there. Becoming a broker for investment product in a firm will start you at 300 - 500K, whereas being an analyst can get you some real top dollar starting at 500K (back 10 yrs, when the regulation weren't as stringent, analyst could clock in CRAZY amount of dollars, we are talking millions.). And the good thing is you don't lose 4 or 6 yrs of decent incomes like in the case of OMFS.

was reading through your posts... where do you get this ****e from?? whats your sample size, n=2?
if you don't speak from personal experience, and you are not in the trenches every day, how does it help anyone when you spin some half truths?
General problem on SDN. Have to weigh the value and veracity of the advice against the source.

Reactions: 1 users
was reading through your posts... where do you get this ****e from?? whats your sample size, n=2?
if you don't speak from personal experience, and you are not in the trenches every day, how does it help anyone when you spin some half truths?
General problem on SDN. Have to weigh the value and veracity of the advice against the source.

Totally. n = 2 is what I got. This is by no means me preaching to anyone, but merely a two cents from my end.
Take it or leave it.

SDN is forum where people share their information, if you want to do a proper study, maybe get a funding from AAOMS and carry it out properly. It's unfortunate that none of us is going to take the time to properly do a study like that, so "information" in itself becomes what we are getting here essentially. As to the quality of the information? I don't know, you want names? name of their practices?? where they live and whatnot? Information is information is information is information... and I can go on and say it a couple more times. But at the end of the days, we obtain information from one to the other, we look up the good examples we see, and we say to ourselves I will strive to be like them.

SIMPLE.AS.THAT.

And like wise, whatever ***ts you are going through could very well be n = 1; and sure, if you prefer, you can go ahead and list everyone you know who's an OMFS and doing less well, and call it n = 1 + x, that's your call. And simply because that's what you are struggling through shouldn't be the WHOLE STORY. But hey, I think we still owe it to you that there are definitely the flip side of things, and not all things are as pretty as what I know.

In closing, I always say, pick your poison. This pertains both to our decision making and information selection. While I respect you as someone who has been in the trench, and has done your due diligence to keep surviving, that should not be any ground to defy anyone's inputs.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is WILDLY inaccurate.

We would all be enlightened to learn a thing or two if you can kindly point out the inaccuracy
Those numbers are insane. It's not likely to land a gig like that.
I have an MBA, and I will say that your scenario is incredibly unlikely. I also know many other MBA's from places like Wharton, Sloane, HBS, etc. and if I told them about starting salaries of 300K-500K I would get laughed out the door.
These positions are also rare, so a fresh MBA grad is not going to land a job like this. Even top-notch programs like Wharton have well over 800 students per class. The demand for these positions is just not there.
Wharton grads median starting salary is $130K, a far cry from $300K-$500K.

Totally. n = 2 is what I got. This is by no means me preaching to anyone, but merely a two cents from my end.
Take it or leave it.

SDN is forum where people share their information, if you want to do a proper study, maybe get a funding from AAOMS and carry it out properly. It's unfortunate that none of us is going to take the time to properly do a study like that, so "information" in itself becomes what we are getting here essentially. As to the quality of the information? I don't know, you want names? name of their practices?? where they live and whatnot? Information is information is information is information... and I can go on and say it a couple more times. But at the end of the days, we obtain information from one to the other, we look up the good examples we see, and we say to ourselves I will strive to be like them.

SIMPLE.AS.THAT.

And like wise, whatever ***ts you are going through could very well be n = 1; and sure, if you prefer, you can go ahead and list everyone you know who's an OMFS and doing less well, and call it n = 1 + x, that's your call. And simply because that's what you are struggling through shouldn't be the WHOLE STORY. But hey, I think we still owe it to you that there are definitely the flip side of things, and not all things are as pretty as what I know.

In closing, I always say, pick your poison. This pertains both to our decision making and information selection. While I respect you as someone who has been in the trench, and has done your due diligence to keep surviving, that should not be any ground to defy anyone's inputs.
So, bottom line is you have trivial knowledge of the subject matter and peddle a lot of crap on the forum?

AGREE with that whole-f---in-heartedly my friend.

I have an MBA, and I will say that your scenario is incredibly unlikely. I also know many other MBA's from places like Wharton, Sloane, HBS, etc. and if I told them about starting salaries of 300K-500K I would get laughed out the door.
These positions are also rare, so a fresh MBA grad is not going to land a job like this. Even top-notch programs like Wharton have well over 800 students per class. The demand for these positions is just not there.

I am sorry to hear that..... the figure is what my brother got.
His MBA is from INSEAD, and he's currently working in HK, and that's as much info as I can give.

So, bottom line is you have trivial knowledge of the subject matter and peddle a lot of crap on the forum?

AGREE with that whole-f---in-heartedly my friend.

If that's what you wanna call it, then sure, it ain't offending me. I found it entertaining, to say the least, that you could get, apparently, pretty worked up on other people sharing what happens around them. But I guess that's that. I would choose to call it information sharing, that's all, so no need to get sour over it.

Are we playing the hidden words game now?? If so, then I appreciate your ***ing inputs whole-f***ing-heartedly as well. And you are welcome :)

If that's what you wanna call it, then sure, it ain't offending me. I found it entertaining, to say the least, that you could get, apparently, pretty worked up on other people sharing what happens around them. But I guess that's that. I would choose to call it information sharing, that's all, so no need to get sour over it.

Are we playing the hidden words game now?? If so, then I appreciate your ***ing inputs whole-f***ing-heartedly as well. And you are welcome :)
lol.
ok chief. you wouldn't happen to be part of the The Flat Earth Society, would you?
enjoy.

lol.
ok chief. you wouldn't happen to be part of the The Flat Earth Society, would you?
enjoy.

Lolllll, I thought that was banned from the Round Earth Guild hundreds of yrs ago…
Nope, I'm not, but I can see you just return from a trip to Miseryland :) how was the ride there? Lots of ups and downs I assume?
Cheers :)

Enough.

Let’s get back on topic. If you don’t like someone, feel free to use the”Ignore” feature.

I'm a dental student...so I'm obviously all knowing...here is my 2 cents

I don't think its really fair to compare the dental profession to the business profession, or any other profession. We've obviously chosen to be dentists and unless you are seriously considering leaving the dental profession then comparing yourself to others is a worthless practice. I've got buddies who dropped out of college, sell security systems, and make more than some of my attending.

But if you really want to compare yourself to other professions, try medicine. Who knows what you'll make as an OMS, but you are almost guaranteed to make as much as your medicine colleagues who do a 4 year residency. You will have as good, if not much better, of a lifestyle than them. You will make VASTLY more than the average American. And you will love what you are doing (assuming you actually chose the specialty because you liked it, and not just for the money). All this sounds like an excellent profession.

For what its worth, the few OMSs I know well enough know their salaries take home around 750k pre tax (much more than the average according to the ADA).

this thread is ridiculous. you will make more than enough money in any dental specialty. you should do what you enjoy. always these predents asking how much omfs makes and ends up in a pissing contest, mostly by people who arent even in omfs. i'm jealous of all the other dental specialties making bank while flying under the radar, while people here have to prove to themselves and others just how much an omfs can make. feels bad man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Reread your reply, and thought u probably misunderstood my previous post. I never intended to say a brokerage job or an analyst job is entry level, and I believe they are not. These are jobs that will require knowledge in the field which most likely would be gained from a research associate position. So I can see why you would be laughed at for saying 300k - 500k for a entry level job, unless of course you know of someone who goes straight into those positions, then props to them.

Hence, after landing an entry level job at about 200k plus bonus, I'm sure u can work your way up into either position if u so choose. And if 130k is the median ur seeing in North America, try other markets, u won't be disappointed.

Sorry to derail the topic, and never intended to make it sound like a piss contest. I share what I know, and they are all great examples I am striving to move towards.

And you're a veteran of the field with practice experience in a multitude of settings?
that's inaccurate AF.
I was unaware that opening a practice was easier than becoming a partner (I honestly just had a cursory look at somr offers from DT or ETS dental and offers of partnership didn't seem exceptionally rare). Thanks for correcting me if I'm wrong.

It's a great specialty but hard as hell to get in and the journey is long. Top 5 and you might not even place. If you do get in, it might be in middle of nowhere school...but def. a good specialty, but they def put in their "time" to reap the rewards.
Top 5 with a horrible CBSE and you might not place. top 5-20 with a good CBSE and a wide net and I honestly don't see how you wouldn't place SOMEWHERE. Ortho seems way harder to match if you want to be paid in residency

Last edited:
I was unaware that opening a practice was easier than becoming a partner (I honestly just had a cursory look at somr offers from DT or ETS dental and offers of partnership didn't seem exceptionally rare). Thanks for correcting me if I'm wrong.

Top 5 with a horrible CBSE and you might not place. top 5-20 with a good CBSE and a wide net and I honestly don't see how you wouldn't place SOMEWHERE. Ortho seems way harder to match if you want to be paid in residency

Just speaking from seeing my classmates experiences. Some of them had to do one year internship or whatever at some community hospital sucking up and doing the clean-up duties of the omfs residents...but in the end, the next year they got in. But you know more about it then I do since I never did any research into OMFS residencies. Just hearing at the end of the year of : "what so-and-so was top 5 and didn't get in???" So yeah I dunno

spoken like a true millenial/late Gen Xr.
7pxhf3.jpg