One DO acceptance, waitlisted at several schools, Re-considering taking the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astronomical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Originally, I planned on retaking the MCAT in May or early June (third attempt: 505, cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.75), but I recently have one DO acceptance. I am happy, but the school itself isn't all that amazing.
If I retake it and end up with a slightly higher score (e.g. 508), I obviously would not re-apply for a second time. That being said, would the DO school see this as an insult and possibly rescind my offer?

What are the risks and consequences? Please advise.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think if u throw away the DO acceptance u will be done for DO. Take your DO acceptance and be grateful! If you didnt want to go to the school you shouldn't have applied there.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, congratulations on your acceptance. With the competitive nature of medical school today, you should be so proud and elated to have the opportunity to attend the program that accepted you. I know you are wanting to shoot for another program, but you are in a position where you know you are going to be able to achieve your goal of becoming a physician, and that is what is important.You have put in a lot of work and time thus far so be thankful, accept the offer, go study hard, and be a great DO.

I have yet to come across a post like this where SDN folks recommend the OP to turn down their acceptance and retake the MCAT. You're in a great position right now, but don't let that rug be pulled out from underneath you if you know what I mean.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if you got 510 on your retake, you won't be a shoo-in for MD... Run fast with that acceptance.

Reactions: 7 users
I think if u throw away the DO acceptance u will be done for DO. Take your DO acceptance and be grateful! If you didnt want to go to the school you shouldn't have applied there.

I appreciate everyone's opinion, thank you. I was waitlisted for acceptances (DO) since early Fall and decided to retake the mcat around xmas. And, I scheduled to re-take it in May. The acceptance just happened a few days ago, so it was a bit of a shock.

I was merely asking about the risks of scoring slightly above 505 (e.g) 508 and how my current acceptance would view it after having signing the offer. And yes, I would prefer a better DO school.

Why would I be done for DO overall?

I appreciate everyone's opinion, thank you. I was waitlisted for acceptances (DO) since early Fall and decided to retake the mcat around xmas. And, I scheduled to re-take it in May. The acceptance just happened a few days ago, so it was a bit of a shock.

I was merely asking about the risks of scoring slightly above 505 (e.g) 508 and how my current acceptance would view it after having signing the offer. And yes, I would prefer a better DO school.

Why would I be done for DO overall?

What things are you worried about in the DO school you were recently accepted to?

Essentially, if I don't score high enough, would I be quested as to why I re-took it?

It makes no sense to retake. 505 to 508 is a negligible improvement IMO. You have an acceptance, you should take it.

Reactions: 4 users
There is no risk except if you score < 505

If your question is, how will my accepted program view me retaking the MCAT? Then the answer is they wouldn't know unless you chose to tell them. The school has already accepted you and has downloaded your mcat score there isnt a reason for them to redownload it. If your plan is to retake, see how the score goes, and then think about withdrawing your acceptance you are fine. If your score isnt high enough then you just keep hush about retaking the MCAT and start school in the fall.

I dont think this is the best course of action, but it's possible. You should just start school and go on with your life.

As the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. By delaying another year for an MCAT retake, you'll likely be paying a $250K+ penalty (lost year of income from the end of your career). I personally don't think it's worth it.

Also, don't worry too much about the fact that the school "isn't all that amazing." At the end of the day, a DO school is a DO school. Every school has top performers and bottom performers, and the cream always rises to the top. Heck, LUCOM—arguably the most controversial and widely condemned DO school right now—had a neurosurgery match and an ophthalmology match in its first graduating class.

Hey Everyone,

Originally, I planned on retaking the MCAT in May or early June (third attempt: 505, cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.75), but I recently have one DO acceptance. I am happy, but the school itself isn't all that amazing.
If I retake it and end up with a slightly higher score (e.g. 508), I obviously would not re-apply for a second time. That being said, would the DO school see this as an insult and possibly rescind my offer?

What are the risks and consequences? Please advise.
Thanks
a 508(even a 510) isn't much improvement over a 505. You don't know how schools handle multiple MCAT's.(some average, some first, some last, etc etc) You've already taken it three times. @Goro says multiple MCAT's are like more marriages. Take your acceptance and be happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn’t it commonly accepted that if you decline to matriculate that you are essentially blacklisted by all schools?
It maybe commonly accepted but that doesn’t mean its true. Whatever the school is that accepted the OP will most likely not interview him/her again if the committee remembers the OP should the OP reapply there. The problem is in the risk of reapplication. Applicant volume, competitiveness and seat availability change with each cycle. Schools also expect a significant improvement in apps from a reapplicant’s subsequent apps.
Risk wise it is smarter to take the acceptance unless you have a clear plan that can show significant improvement which is unlikely to happen in a single app cycle.

OP unless you plan to sit out a few app cycles and really improve your app, take the acceptance. Even if you go to a bad school and you push through to graduation you get to be a doctor which is what you want right?

You've indicated that you've already taken the MCAT 3 times. I would not take it again unless you think you will see great improvement that didnt happen during your previous 2 retakes. And even after 3 takes, you're waitlisted at the MDs, and have only 1 DO acceptance in March. While things can change over the next few months with waitlist movement and such, take the acceptance in the mean time or risk not becoming a doctor at all.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and I will accept the offer. Thank you all.

Reactions: 6 users