This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaelee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm at the beginning of my junior year, attending a state university online. I'll graduate in the summer of 2017 with my B.S in Psychology. Right now, I'm torn between attending med school or getting my degree in Certified Nurse Midwifery, so I'm taking a wide range of pre-reqs.

I'm taking my pre-req courses during summers at a local community college since they are not offered online. I've already completed BIO 113 (Principles of BIO 1), as well as a Biotech class. This summer I'm taking Chemistry 103 and Behavioral Statistics (a requirement for my major). Next summer I'll take Chemistry 104, Microbiology, and Phys 1, and probably the second half of my Principles of BIO sequence. After graduation I plan on taking Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, as well as Physics 2 and maybe some other science electives in the Fall and Spring as post-bacc courses.
I plan on applying for the Fall of 2018.

My question is, what courses would be best to take in the fall and spring following my graduation? I was considering anatomy and physiology, cell bio, or nutrition for the health sciences? My cc doesn't offer biochem or genetics, but genetics is covered in cell bio. What do you guys think?

In total the pre-req courses I've figured out so far are :

CHEM 103 + 104
PHYS 201 +202
BIO 300 (human heredity)
BIO 205 (microbiology)
CHEM 203+204 (organic)
Behavioral Statistics

Also, as far as experience goes, I'm in contact with a NP who is willing to let me shadow in her office, and who is also very involved in the community and is helping me find some places to volunteer in my area such as the free clinic. I'm also a girl scout troop leader, and was VP of my CC's honor society before I transferred. Anyone have any suggestions for hands on experience?

If it makes any difference, my top choice for nursing would be Vanderbilt, and my top choice for med school is Tulane (mainly for the rural practice program there). My GPA is a 3.79 (will go up after this semester), 4.0 in the major, and 4.0 in all my science/math courses so far.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be a physician then look at any major university med school requirements and recommended and take as many as possible, whatever is offered. You will need biochem for the MCAT so you will have to take it somewhere.

That said, shadow a physician or several and figure out what you want to be! Physicians are different than NPs! So far it sounds like you want to be more of a nurse than doctor. Nothing wrong with that but prep time could be wasted when you should be spending time with drs if you want to be one.

For experience become a scribe, volunteer in the clinic or a hospice, etc. Lots on sdn about shadowing so look it up. Again figuring out what you want is most important so you can focus on that.

Best of luck

DrMikeP,

Thank you for your input! May I ask what in my post gave the impression that I'd rather be a nurse? Just curious :)

Since biochem isn't offered at my cc, and not required for a lot of schools, I was planning on studying it on my own. A biochem class at any of the other local four years is out of reach for me financially, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMikeP,

Thank you for your input! May I ask what in my post gave the impression that I'd rather be a nurse? Just curious :)

Since biochem isn't offered at my cc, and not required for a lot of schools, I was planning on studying it on my own. A biochem class at any of the other local four years is out of reach for me financially, unfortunately.

I'm not hearing the passion for being a physician and you're shadowing and nurse vs discussing how you're going to find a physician to shadow even if it kills you. Your reply also didn't include a list of reasons why you think I'm wrong? Did you make such in your head?

To get into med school you will have to apply broadly and quite a few schools now require biochemistry and more are likely, so weigh the cost of not getting in or reapplying vs taking it.

Yes you can study biochemistry yourself, but a majority of the new MCAT requires biochemistry!!!! Probably 50% of the science questions were somehow related to biochemistry. Even the non-biochem ones used stuff from biochemistry, so having a semester of repeatedly looking at certain concepts/eqns is invaluable.

Also, just an fyi many MD schools frown on community college courses for required sciences. Some won't accept them at all even though they will say they do and some won't accept req sci courses online. As one school adcom told me, anyone can make an A in community college, so those apps go to the bottom of the list. At 6000 plus applications and only having 200 slots they can be picky.

I'm not hearing the passion for being a physician and you're shadowing and nurse vs discussing how you're going to find a physician to shadow even if it kills you. Your reply also didn't include a list of reasons why you think I'm wrong? Did you make such in your head?

To get into med school you will have to apply broadly and quite a few schools now require biochemistry and more are likely, so weigh the cost of not getting in or reapplying vs taking it.

Yes you can study biochemistry yourself, but a majority of the new MCAT requires biochemistry!!!! Probably 50% of the science questions were somehow related to biochemistry. Even the non-biochem ones used stuff from biochemistry, so having a semester of repeatedly looking at certain concepts/eqns is invaluable.

Also, just an fyi many MD schools frown on community college courses for required sciences. Some won't accept them at all even though they will say they do and some won't accept req sci courses online. As one school adcom told me, anyone can make an A in community college, so those apps go to the bottom of the list. At 6000 plus applications and only having 200 slots they can be picky.

I did make a list of reasons you are wrong. I did not share them without first hearing if your answer as to why I don't sound like I want to be a doctor was reasonable.
I find that it is not.
There is no way that you could determine my passion for medicine from one introductory post. And the fact that I mentioned an NP is because she runs her own practice, and if I wanted to shadow her, and another doctor in the building, I very easily could do so. I prefer to gain experience with multiple opportunities and expand my view rather than narrow my focus to only one possibility. My goal is to get as much hands on experience as I can, wherever I can get it. The NP that I have known my whole life is a very good place to begin. I do not think medical schools will frown upon my shadowing an NP and an MD.

And as for CC's and online schools, I find that given the opportunity to write about my reasons for taking such courses, which include having to work simultaneously to pay for my college degree, schools will appreciate my tenacity and preserverance over the name value of my degree and courses. In fact, many cc's, mine included, are renowned for their STEM courses, much more so than many liberal arts centered institutions. And as for schools accepting CC credit, I have already found many top schools that allow them.

I would let you know that "hearing" passion on an online forum may be very difficult, especially without knowing a person or their background. I would also let you know that just because a certain path is alternative, it does not mean it is not viable. Not everyone can afford the traditional route to medical school, but it does not mean they do not want it, or will be less attractive to adcoms.

However, I will definitely do my best to take a biochem course.

I appreciate all of your input, but I came here for ways I can build myself up as a non-traditional applicant, not asking about my chances of getting in.

I did make a list of reasons you are wrong. I did not share them without first hearing if your answer as to why I don't sound like I want to be a doctor was reasonable.
I find that it is not.
There is no way that you could determine my passion for medicine from one introductory post. And the fact that I mentioned an NP is because she runs her own practice, and if I wanted to shadow her, and another doctor in the building, I very easily could do so. I prefer to gain experience with multiple opportunities and expand my view rather than narrow my focus to only one possibility. My goal is to get as much hands on experience as I can, wherever I can get it. The NP that I have known my whole life is a very good place to begin. I do not think medical schools will frown upon my shadowing an NP and an MD.

And as for CC's and online schools, I find that given the opportunity to write about my reasons for taking such courses, which include having to work simultaneously to pay for my college degree, schools will appreciate my tenacity and preserverance over the name value of my degree and courses. In fact, many cc's, mine included, are renowned for their STEM courses, much more so than many liberal arts centered institutions. And as for schools accepting CC credit, I have already found many top schools that allow them.

I would let you know that "hearing" passion on an online forum may be very difficult, especially without knowing a person or their background. I would also let you know that just because a certain path is alternative, it does not mean it is not viable. Not everyone can afford the traditional route to medical school, but it does not mean they do not want it, or will be less attractive to adcoms.

However, I will definitely do my best to take a biochem course.

I appreciate all of your input, but I came here for ways I can build myself up as a non-traditional applicant, not asking about my chances of getting in.

Now that sounds like a Dr!! Why be a midwife, when you could and want to do more? You'd be surprised at what a few lines can communicate, whether it is intentional or not. Schools appreciate tenacity, but you also must meet the criteria sometimes written and sometimes not. A number of adcoms and even faculty are on SDN, so it's a good place to start. But there are a good number of neurotics as well. You can definitely get into a DO program with online and community college but will find it hurts you for some md programs. Speak to md med admissions advisors about what they want at the schools you are interested in and do what it takes to get it.

Some of my past posts here discuss ways of finding a Dr to shadow and Goro's and a few others posts are often right on. Most med schools will be OK with you shadowing a nurse but it doesn't get you application points itself and would be better sold as clinical hours. It will give you good med experiences though.

Best of luck in biochemistry!

PS Fall of 2018 is a good plan and will give you a year to make a stellar application. Your gpa is good but you need to rock the MCAT so you have a shot at all with MD schools that will accept you, and again apply broadly and having a few DO schools in the mix might be advisable.

Now that sounds like a Dr!! Why be a midwife, when you could and want to do more? You'd be surprised at what a few lines can communicate, whether it is intentional or not. Schools appreciate tenacity, but you also must meet the criteria sometimes written and sometimes not. A number of adcoms and even faculty are on SDN, so it's a good place to start. But there are a good number of neurotics as well. You can definitely get into a DO program with online and community college but will find it hurts you for some md programs. Speak to md med admissions advisors about what they want at the schools you are interested in and do what it takes to get it.

Some of my past posts here discuss ways of finding a Dr to shadow and Goro's and a few others posts are often right on. Most med schools will be OK with you shadowing a nurse but it doesn't get you application points itself and would be better sold as clinical hours. It will give you good med experiences though.

Best of luck in biochemistry!

PS Fall of 2018 is a good plan and will give you a year to make a stellar application. Your gpa is good but you need to rock the MCAT so you have a shot at all with MD schools that will accept you, and again apply broadly and having a few DO schools in the mix might be advisable.

The reason I'm looking into midwifery programs (besides the fact that they do important work and build extremely close patient relationships), is because they are considered PCPs in my state and many others, and it would require less prerequisite work, and therefore wouldn't be such a financial/time burden, plus my chances of getting in are probably higher, making it a safer choice. I'm hesitant to take risks on expensive medical school prerequisites considering my own, and my family's limited financial capabilities.
Mainly, I'm passionate about building relationships, and I'd love to do a rural medicine program - which is why I would love to attend Tulane and return to the south. From what I understand though, DO programs sort of focus on that as well? It's just a big risk considering I can only afford to take CC courses, which might hinder my chances of being accepted. However, Tulane does say they accept online and CC courses, and have no set prerequisite requirements.

I'm only a little worried about applying for the Fall of 2018 because I'll still have some courses in progress in the Spring. But, of course, I will have the MCAT completed. Other than that, I'm only 19 so I'm not too concerned with taking a "gap year" of sorts.

The reason I'm looking into midwifery programs (besides the fact that they do important work and build extremely close patient relationships), is because they are considered PCPs in my state and many others, and it would require less prerequisite work, and therefore wouldn't be such a financial/time burden, plus my chances of getting in are probably higher, making it a safer choice. I'm hesitant to take risks on expensive medical school prerequisites considering my own, and my family's limited financial capabilities.
Mainly, I'm passionate about building relationships, and I'd love to do a rural medicine program - which is why I would love to attend Tulane and return to the south. From what I understand though, DO programs sort of focus on that as well? It's just a big risk considering I can only afford to take CC courses, which might hinder my chances of being accepted. However, Tulane does say they accept online and CC courses, and have no set prerequisite requirements.

I'm only a little worried about applying for the Fall of 2018 because I'll still have some courses in progress in the Spring. But, of course, I will have the MCAT completed. Other than that, I'm only 19 so I'm not too concerned with taking a "gap year" of sorts.
I understand financial struggle and the desire to help others. I attended community college myself. I also let practicality influence my career path earlier in life and once I learned more about options made a career change.

There are financial options so don't let the cost deter you! DOs definitely are a good route for PCPs. They can also among many things deliver babies and if you maintain your GPA and do decent on the MCAT you'd be a highly sought after candidate and great fit for a DO and potentially a good fit for some MDs. ACOM isn't far from Louisiana and their goal is PCPs in rural and underserved areas.

When you speak with Tulane or any other med school don't mention any other option than being a doctor. It's the fastest way to talk yourself out of an opportunity at med school. I've seen it happen many times when someone says they have a back up. It's physician or nothing. During my med school interview they even asked what would I do if I didn't get in and I said whatever it takes to make myself a better applicant next time.

All the best

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk